Chocolate and Cigarettes.

Wolves

Don’t be blinded by justice, the hero is dead.

+

Taehyung should truly be afraid from Jungkook.

When he first met him, they were fifteen. Jungkook has just been shipped to this school, where Taehyung has been residing for a while now. Jungkook was tall, and broad for his young age, he was quiet and cold. But he had the biggest prettiest eyes, looking over everything like it’s gonna disappear any moment.

And from the minute he got there, he topped all his classes, all activities, and he earned first place in the first sport he joined – wrestling and received all kinds of compliments from his teachers.

Taehyung used to dislike him, not hate – since he already has that already for too many people, but he did dislike him, because Jungkook was a goody two shoes who had earned the approval of the principal and all the teacher and most students admired him.

Jungkook was built to be perfect, it seemed.

But their school was awful place, it had the ability to bring out the worst in people. They showed the world the accomplishments of their students, how they end up being the elite group of the society, business men, military officials, lawyers and politicians. They don’t show you the amount of stress they put on their students to achieve such results.

But either way, Taehyung didn’t learn there, since Taehyung spent most of his time there alone, not because he didn’t have any friends, on the contrary though, he did. But it’s because he spent most of his time in solitary. Solitary was silent and dark, and Taehyung cried a lot in there. He also sometimes screamed, because of how quiet it got. He felt like he was going mad. Hell, he probably has gone mad a couple of times inside.

So when this new kid came, and took all the spots of perfection in the school, and now, everyone was number two, to him, he faced some obstacles.

Because one day, someone finally got enough of being number two.

The next morning, the Golden boy showed up late to the morning run – the one he led, and the most organized, put together goody two shoes had his shirt buttoned incorrectly, stumbling to their line, limping, his pretty left eye was closed shut, too bruised and swollen to open, cuts around his mouth and his cheeks lined with harsh blue.

The General in charge of their group coldly glanced his way, and like always, no one did to stop the continuous abuse that happened in this school. No, they wanted them to fight, they wanted to make them rip each other apart so that only the strong rise. They make the strong stronger and the weak weaker, they want them to step on each other.

That’s how you raise cold hearted psychos who will conquer the world.

“You are late. 15 laps, Jeon.”

The Golden boy obeyed, and he limped through 15 laps, and Taehyung watched him. he also watched him collapse after he was finished. But no one was around since all groups were already done, and the classes have already started.

Taehyung didn’t know why he called the doctor, it was none of his business, and Taehyung wasn’t one to get involved in that wasn’t his. He never had to, most bad usually led to him. Trouble had a way of finding Taehyung, wherever he was.

But Taehyung did call the doctor. And Jungkook woke to the infirmary, with this strange boy – that he knows for a fact smuggles cigarettes and sells them – looking down to him.

“I’d watch my back if I were you.” He said, lollipop hanging from his mouth.

He knew this will continue to happen unless Jungkook retorts, and Taehyung will be there when he does, because this was the most action to happen in this school since one of the students turned out to be blackmailing a teacher with an affair. So Taehyung will get his popcorn and weed ready when hits the fan.

And did hit the fan, two days later, when Taehyung was wandering around the halls, a cigarette between his lips – he could be put in solitary for this though but Taehyung had run out of s to give a long time ago.

But a muffled sound down the hall that led to the showers caught his attention. And being himself, he went to investigate. And there was the main event happening. Taehyung is so glad he decided to wander inside the building and not in the fields.

Fate is on his side again, considering how huge the school was and but there was Taehyung in the right place, in the right time to witness the Perfect boy be not-so-perfect.

Jungkook plunged his foot in the body’s guts, as the boy cried out of pain. He then got on top of him and proceeded to deliver punches and Taehyung is sure he’s given the boy injuries to put him in the infirmary for a couple of weeks. Taehyung stood there, smoking, not even hiding anymore, only watching the show.

Jungkook was panting as he wrapped his fists around the boy’s collar and pulled him up, they were face to face, “Don’t with me,” The Golden boy said, “I’ll bury you here if I have to.”

He let go of him, and the body on the floor moaned again in agony, the boy turned around to walk away only to meet Taehyung who wasn’t hiding anymore. He smiled, through his cigarette, Just as Jungkook looked shocked as he didn’t expect anyone to see him commit this act but Taehyung was quick to assure him.

“Don’t worry, Bambi.” The wolf smiled disarmingly, “I ain’t a snitch.”

Jungkook seemed to mind the nickname, but he didn’t speak against it, walking away leaving behind a bloody mess.

The next morning, the bully that had once bruised was now residing in a hospital bed.

Taehyung then learned, if you color Jungkook blue, then he will color you red.

+

He was yelling again.

Jungkook yells a lot these days, he yells too often, too loud and Taehyung was ired of it. But he knew how upset he was, but this article, this particular one hit too close to home.

Jungkook hated when people brought up his mother. The mere mention of her name on the news and in tabloids, made him boil with anger. And do you know who has to deal with a very angry and a very scary Jungkook? Taehyung.

“I literally cannot take you seriously, Jungkook.” Taehyung said, calmly, playfully. “For the last time, you have Bambi eyes, anger doesn’t suit them.”

Taehyung thought it couldn’t get any worse, but it did. “Would you for a second ing listen to me!”

“I am listening, I’ve been listening the whole time.” Taehyung said, as he continued to steer his coffee. His second coffee cup though they haven’t even been to school. Taehyung is sure he’s gonna be drinking his fifth by lunch. “And I told you, I will take care of it, Bambi, now settle the down. I have a headache.”

“How?!” Jungkook said, “We don’t even know who runs this stupid website –“

“I do,” Taehyung cut it “Or at least I have three guesses, I just have to do some creeping around and I’ll get them.”

“Kim Taehyung –“

“Park Jungkook.” Taehyung said suddenly, serious. “You brought me here to take care of . Let me take care of this.”

The boy settled a little after that, and Taehyung saw his sad eyes, and he wondered what has happened to the glistering lights that used to be bright enough to light up the night sky. They still glistened, but they looked sad nowadays.

He wonders what Jungkook was missing.

+

Taehyung was unsettling, to say the least.

Crazy, is a word that could be used, deranged, also fits. Jimin had a lot of words to call him, but none to define him. To define his being.

Taehyung was loud, and kind and playful, a pretty boy, a soft one. But he had eyes too wide and focusing, as if nothing went under his nose, Jimin doubts anything does. And he was too… social, it shouldn’t be a bad thing but Taehyung connected with everyone, everyone at all, to the point that it was scary. He had the ability to befriend everyone and have them wrapped around his little finger in about ten minutes.

He smiled wide and he spoke while moving around, always so animatedly, and he’s been nothing but kind to Jimin.

But Jimin was still scared of him.

Such perfection doesn’t exist. Unless it’s a façade, unless it was a mask.

“I need you today, Jiminie, you have to help run some errands for Kookie, are you free?” Taehyung told him when he met him in school that morning, Master was nowhere to be found and Jimin had just been walking Jisoo to her class. He felt like he was being ambushed, but he agreed anyway. This way he’ll have lots of info for Phoenix when he calls him next time.

Jimin walked with Taehyung as he began: “You know, Jiminie? I really hate this place.” He spoke as he walked towards the second building, pretty far away and secluded since everyone was already in class. They will get in trouble if anyone sees them.

“School?” Jimin asked and Taehyung nodded, “Yeah me too. I think everybody does.” Jimin thought for a second about the school system, how stupid and limiting it truly was but Taehyung shook his head.

“This place is cursed.” Taehyung spoke with all seriousness. “It’s been cursed for years.”

“What do you mean cursed?” Jimin wondered, all conversations with Taehyung always get too weird too fast.

“Death does that. It makes places cursed.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about the patriarchy, the food chain, misery and suicide.” Taehyung spoke in riddles again, as his eyes were focused on something far away. He then suddenly halted his steps, standing close to the entrance of the building and looking up to the height of the building. ‘That’s where she should’ve landed.” He said, fixing his eyes back to the ground and Jimin followed his gaze, color draining from his face as he gulped lightly.

“What – what do you mean that’s where she should’ve landed?”

Taehyung chuckled quietly, looking at the ground once more, the blood has been wiped and they probably renovated the whole area. But why did it still smell of tragedy?

“There was a girl that went here – with scholarship like yours.” Taehyun revealed. “She killed herself.”

Jimin closed his eyes, “Jesus.” He murmured. This school was insane, this life was ing insane.

Taehyung was insane too.

“Come on, Jiminie, we got to do.”

+

Consequences followed, like thunder follows lightening.

The kid woke up and said a name, the school didn’t care – but the boy’s parents did. And they were pissed. With a threat to sue, the school was forced to investigate like they never did before.

Taehyung’s been here for a while, and Taehyung had a habit of knowing . Taehyung knows because while everyone is distracted by their emotions, he is always paying attention. Plus being the main supplier of everything forbidden in this place meant a place in the food-chain and it meant power.

And power meant the ability to discover.

So sitting in the Principla’s office, in front of him, he knew why he was here.

This man thought he can get info out of him. Idiot.

He spoke, and he spoke, about the boy’s injuries, and about the school’s policies and etc, etc. but Taehyung was getting bored.

“Mr. Lim. Why am I here?” He interrupted his ongoing speech and the old man glared, “we both know I don’t give a if someone gets beat up.”

“You know who did it.” The man said with confidence, and he was right, Taehyung did. That didn’t mean that he will tell him, of course. “Tell me, and you’ll be rewarded.”

You know, Taehyung disliked lots of things about the Principal, first thing he hated about him is his cruelty. Because when Taehyung arrived here at the age of eleven and was already in the middle of an absolute mental breakdown, and didn’t know how to deal with the school’s rules and regulations, he locked him in solitary for two days which only worsened his case.

Taehyung wasn’t let out until his voice was gone, and he screamed his throat raw. When he came out, the principal told him; “You wouldn’t have been punished if you had listened.”

So that was the second thing, the vocabulary he used, rewards and punishments, like he was a dog. Just a ing dog.

“What kind of reward?” he asked, and the man smiled, thinking he’s fallen to his trap. Little did he know, he was the one who’s fallen to Taehyung’s web of lies.

The third thing he disliked about him was his arrogance. He just thought that everyone was dumber than him, and that everyone was so easily manipulated by him to the point where it was hilarious.

“No body-search next year.” He was referring to the body search that they give students so that they make sure they aren’t smuggling anything into school, like drugs or cigarettes.

“Holidays too?” Taehyung asked, it was a good deal. He wonders how far he could take it, “No solitary either.” he gambled.

He frowned at him, “That kind of exceptions can’t be made.”

He didn’t say no, which means this is pretty ing bad, the family must be a powerful one and they must have put so much pressure on him to offer Taehyung to tell him.

They were pressured and obviously desperate, and what kind of man would Taehyung be if he didn’t seize this opportunity?

“Shame.” He said, standing up. “Good luck with your investigation though.” He smiled.

When turned to leave, the principal called, “Fine, but only one semester though!”

So after they agreed, he did the right thing… he lied.

+

Put people together in a cage together, and they will create politics.

They will create relationships, love and hatred, they will take partners for themselves, they will find allies and they will form packs. Humans were like wolves, except the loyalty part of course.

They will also make enemies, lots of them. And a leader will rise, he will have to rule, and he will have to be the only justice they know and Taehyung believed justice was a cruel thing.

And he didn’t believe in anything cruel so he didn’t abide to justice. You know what he abided to? He abided to beauty and he abided to art. He abided only to good things, because good things bring the same. Bad things brought out bad things.

Taehyung abided to loyalty and truth and fairness.

Perhaps that was why he didn’t fit in this school. Taehyung doesn’t mean he had no friends, it meant he had them, he just didn’t like ebing around them. His classmates were exhausting to be around, God, everyone just wanted to be people they weren’t. and the desire to be someone you’re not consumed you. Drowned you inside of it, till there was nothing of you truly left of you.

Secrets and murmurs filled the hallways, and they filled the emptiness inside. Gossip and cruelty all around, as if they survived on them. And grudges, there are a lot of grudges. People held grudges for mistakes made generations before by families, out of fear of appear forgiving.

Humans had no place and humanity was a tool for them.

Taehyung knew all of this. He noticed the patterns in his high school and in his boarding school. When you lock people in a cage, like in his boarding school, they start to feed on each other.

And in this school, ‘Metropolis’, they called it, and the title stood proud over the building, watching over the students.

Metropolis, meant a big city, like the concrete jungle of citites like New York or Seoul. The school was a jungle in its own way.

Taehyung scrolled down the article on his phone. The soulless school had its own online news paper, or magazine or tabloid or whatever that website was, and they were, like everyone else, speaking of his bestvfriend.

“The lost heir of the Phoenix.” It read with bold letters, and the articles covered all the details of Jungkook’s life, intimately so, about his house that burned down and that his mother was married to another man other than the great Phoenix, and then they moved on to him, as if the article wasn’t already getting on his nerves but Taehyung was smilling, because he was expecting this. Expected things were easy to deal with it, it was fine.

People are probably all telling their own versions of the story, because people hear what they want to hear, so they all look at this differently than others around them.

They brought up Jaehyun’s name, maybe that’s what had Jungkook yelling about it this morning. Jungkook is always too tense, he’s always hated it. Nothing good comes from chaos, specially if it nests in your mind.

The door opened, and Jimin let the beautiful girl pass him, like the gentleman he was – and as the servant he was supposed to be.

“Just the girl I wanted to see.” Taehyung smiled at her, unthreatening though she was galring at him coldly, but without spite.

She crossed her arms, “I don’t appreciate being summoned.” Rose said, tone too flat which meant she was wary of him. Good.

“Of course, I’m sorry.” He apologized immediately, leaning back into his seat. “Was Jimin too forceful with you? I did tell him to behave.” He glanced at Jimin who stood back, watching them interact quietly.

Jimin bowed his head lightly in apology when Rose too glanced at him but she didn’t add anymore, walking to take a seat on the chair in front him. “Why am I here?”

“I wanted to speak to you about this article that came out this morning.”

“What article?” She asked, crossing her legs. With her crossed arms and legs, he could tell that she was making a barrier around herself, from the outside world, even though she looked elegant as she did.

He turned the phone to her, to show her and she didn’t even blink, before she answered, “What about it?”

“It bothers my friend, and he gets antsy when he is upset.”

“What does that have to do with me?” She asked.

“Well, you did write it.” He said, quite bluntly. “And you’re pretty good, have you considered a career in writing? –“

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She said, “You pulled me away from class for meaningless accusations?”

“Let’s not play games.” Taehyung said, the smile was the same, but it had gotten uglier in her eyes.

“From what I’ve heard, games are sort of your thing.” She spoke back, tongue sharp and gaze even sharper.

Taehyung laughed softly, he always enjoyed banter, specially if it was hateful and Rose’s eyes had enough hatred for him to burn in its fire.

“From what I heard, you stand with Neugdae Pa.” Taehyung said, after he settled, “Was I informed wrong?”

Jimin gulped from the back of the room as he watched them speak, , it’s gonna be really bad if she refuses to comply to his requests and he blames Jimin for it. He knew he should’ve kept his ing mouth shut, why does he always answer questions he can’t afford to answer?

She sat back after a pause, eyes knowing and her head titled. “Do you trust him?” She suddenly said, and he knew she meant the young thug standing at the door, after all, he was listening to a private conversation.

“I think so.” Taehyung said, shrugging uninterestingly. “I don’t know yet.”

“Well, I don’t.” She retorted, sharp as always, and Taehyung nodded his head for Jimin to wait outside.

After the door was shut behind him she spoke; “I didn’t write that one though.” She commented. And Taehyung’s smile widened, she was lying again, but that was okay, it was her defense mechanism.

“I’m sure there is more than one person managing such a website. But I’m also sure you have some control on what is posted and what is written.”

“I do.” She answered. “Do you want me to delete it? To stop talking about Phoenix’s son?”

“No, no, of course not. Keep writing about him.” Taehyung said and she was even more confused. “I only want to… change the narrative.”

“The narrative?”

“Yes.” Taehyung said, “Instead of speaking of his past, speak of his status, of his image. His influence.”

“You want me to glorify your Master?” she said with disgust, mocking how the Wolves address their leader, but – though he isn’t calling Jungkook that – he’d rather do so than be than be a rogue like her.

“I want you to tell the truth –“

“Your version of the truth.” She corrected.

“The only version of the truth.” Taehyung retorted, coolly.

See, Rose did not care about honest journalism, like at all. But she did care for being summoned then being told what to do. “And if I refuse?”

Rose chose this career for the freedom it offered.

“Ah, yes, I know you’re probably not used to telling the truth.” Taehyung said, with a smile on his face and she scoffed lightly at his petty insult. “But you will receive payment.”

“You haven’t answered my question.”

Taehyung stood from his seat, his hands to rest in his pockets, walking over to her, circling around her. “Like I said, he gets antsy when upset.” He stood behind her, and she felt his presence, how the vibes around him remained calm but unnerving. She flinched when his hand came in contact with her neck, her turtle neck may keep the bruises hidden but they still hurt. he lightly pushed the turtle neck down to reveal the bruises that lined around her neck

“… and I think you know what happens when powerful men are angry.”

She moved away from his hand, adjusting the fabric around her neck so that secrets stay hidden where they belong. She then swiped her hand pver the fabric on her neck then down his shoulder, as if to assure herself that his touch wasn’t there anymore.

“How’s my brother?” He said, though he had no love for him and his void voice made her understand that.

“My fiancé is doing fine.” She answered, calmly, he wasn’t getting to her. She can’t let him get to her. “And you know that threatening me is a mistake.”

“I’m not threatening you, I can never hurt you and we both know that.”

“You’re not a Wolf, you’re allowed to hurt women.” She threw back as he came into her sight, walking around the classroom. Taehyung didn’t have a tattoo to give him status because Jungkook wants to make him do the dirty work, everyone knew that. That’s why he scared her, he had no limitations and she doubts Jungkook puts him on a tight leach.

Plus she’s heard all about the wild dog by Jungkook’s side. Rumor has it, he’s a total psycho.

“Nah, unlike my brother, I don’t enjoy hurting girls.”

Rose her lips, sighing. “I stand with Neugdae Pa, if this is coming form Jungkook, then I will do it.”

“It is, coming from him.”

“Done.” She said as she got up. Walking to the door, before she left, she stopped. “We’re not enemies.” She declared and he did agree, people with information were dangerous, he doesn’ want her as his enemy, but he’s not sure he wants her as a friend either. “Touch me again, and we will be.”

But no matter how much he denies it, no matter how much he hates the people that crawled in the corners of this school. He was just the same, he had to be.

But Taehyung was merely a common sinner in a crowd full of devils.

+

Perhaps what annoyed him the most about this school is that nobody admitted their sins.

Jimin followed behind Taehyung who whistled as he walked, he said he needed a smoke after he and Rose were finished talking so they were on their way to the rooftop.

Once they were there, Taehyung put a cigarette between his lips and searched his pockets for a lighter, “,” He said, realizing he did not have his on him, “You got a lighter?”

Jimin nodded, he was a smoker as well, a habit he’s picked up after the first time he’s seen blood and heard gunshots. Jimin pressed its button and a flame appeared, he brought it close to Taehyung but suddenly his wrist was grabbed harshly, he flinched and Taehyung kept his hand in place as he lit up his cigarette.

Jimin gulped, Taehyung was unexpected, his actions and words didn’t go together, his soft looks

and sharp eyes didn’t go together either. Tae smiled as he let go, muttering a ‘thanks’ as he took a drag out of his cigarette.

He walked to the edge and Jimin stayed behind, “Did you know her?”

“Who?”

“The girl who killed herself.”

“No, I… I didn’t actually.” Taehyung said. “Why do you ask?”

“You sounded… involved.” He said, pausing to find the right choice of words as to not offend him.

“You mean implicated?” He asked him, still staring at the view of the school. He can see the back of the bleachers here and he could watch the scene before him unfold.

Jimin remained quiet, and Taehyung chuckled at his silence, “She was , Jiminie.” He revealed and Jimin suddenly felt like vomiting. “Do you think I’m capable of such cruelty?”

“I don’t know.” He didn’t strike him as the kind, but he could be, who knows, maybe this pretty boy had evil in his blood. “Did she kill herself because of that?”

“Her parents received hush money.” Tae said, “I think that was the last straw.”

“Her parents agreed to that?” Jimin spat, disgusted, cause if something of the sort happened to his sister, he wouldn’t be able to sleep unless he put a bullet in the attacker.

“They were threatened, they were forced to drop charges.”

Jimin went quiet again, he had many questions swimming in his mind, how did Taehyung know this? Was he really involved? Was he really the attacker? Was he capable of that?

“I’m sure she found peace.” He can hope she did.

“Do you really think she did?” Taehyung asked, “Is death peaceful?”

“I don’t know. That’s what they always say.” Jimin shrugged. He’s seen death, the kind of death he’s seen was nothing peaceful, but then after the smoke settles, and the body stops moving and eyes stop burning brightly and only remain unfocused and open, unblinking, he can hope that their souls find peace in death. Since their bodies didn’t in life.

Jimin’s never fired to kill before, he’s only fired his gun about four times either to threaten or disarm, Jimin never really killed someone. But he has gotten others killed, two people. One by accident, and one on purpose.

Jimin hopes these people found peace, he hopes he finds peace too, when he dies.

+

Their last errand was the most confusing.

Taehyung has a pocket knife, and Jimin had noticed it before, when he used it to peel an apple in the cafeteria only for Master to hiss at him to hide it, telling him it makes them look like meaningless thugs. Jimin had ducked his head, because Jimin himself was a meaningless thug.

But Master had given him an apologetic glance and muttered ‘sorry.’ And Jimin is always surprised when Master apologizes to him.

See Jimin, is so down the food-chain to the point that he isn’t even in it. Runners were the lowest rank. Runners ran errands and ran the drugs, runners were basically the lower class of that community. Jimin remembers so many times he’s been smacked by higher ups for not doing correctly when he first joined.

But then he got older, and he thought that he will stop getting smacked around, because he doesn’t make mistakes anymore. It turned out it wasn’t about mistakes, it was about someone liking to exercise his power on those weaker. Because runners will get pushed around and take it, because they were low class.

Namjoon wasn’t like that though. Namjoon has never hit him, he remembers many times that he and Minho got in trouble and as Namjoon stalked forward to them, Jimin coward harshly into himself, because the man was strong and ruthless and he’s seen him break a guy’s arm without blinking, and if he wishes, he can make real damage to him.

But he didn’t.

Namjoon only told him to pick his head up, and then proceeded to give them the harshest scolding anyone could give. At the end, Jimin just wished he’s hit them instead. Minho and Jimin went home feeling like that day. Because Namjoon saying, ‘I’m disappointed in you’ was worst than any kind of beating.

But Master just apologizes, like it’s nothing.

So as Jimin got lost in his head, following mindlessly behind Taehyung, he found that they were in the parking lot.

“What are we doing here?” Jimin asked.

“Operation get-Kookie-a-girlfriend is a go!” He exclaimed loudly and Jimin has never been more confused.

Taehyung proceeded to cut through the tires of a certain black car. Jimin didn’t know what this had anything to do with getting Master a girlfriend.

“Master doesn’t have a girlfriend?” He asked in midst the silence between them, maybe he can find out info about him and be able to get on Phoenix’s good side after last time, when he had to be summoned.

“Nope.” Taehyung answered, “He’s not as smooth as he looks. He’s soft around pretty girls and he hides it by being cold.”

Jimin nodded stiffly, talk about too much information.

But you know what he also noticed about Taehyung? he spoke a lot, but he never really says anything. He makes you believe he’s loose lipped when he never really reveals anything important enough.

“Jimin-ah?” He called, still in the middle of the task of vandalism. “Do you wanna know how me and Jungkook met?”

The question seemed to be luring, as if trying to get him into a maze, or a trap.

“How?” Jimin asked, falling into his trap willingly.

“I saw him beat the out of this guy in the showers. We went to boarding school, together.”

Jimin didn’t know what exactly he was expecting, but he sure as hell didn’t expect this.

Taehyung didn’t add anything else and Jimin understood, he understood the massage Taehyung was trying to give. Jimin had to stay in line because if he doesn’t, then Jungkook will keep him there.

So this is what this was about. Threatening him into loyalty.

“Taehyung,” He called, and Taehyung turned to him, “You don’t have to worry about me.”

“Oh, no, no.” He said, getting up and nearing him, “I didn’t mean it that way. I just –“ Taehyung stopped his speech, nearing him more, “I need you to know that Jungkook is dangerous. He really is. But he’s also good. Too good, sometimes.”

“Taehyung. I’m not an enemy.”

“Good. Jungkook’s enemies usually end up bloody.” He exclaimed casually, smiling.

“But mine end up dead.” Taehyung may or may have not exaggerated in his threat but he had to. Taehyung had a part to play, the act of the crazy sidekick.

Jimin wanted to throw up. But he exhaled shakingly. Master may be dangerous, but Taehyung is just plain psychotic.

“You don’t have to threaten me. My loyalty lies with Master.”

Taehyung frowned, titling his head. “Why would I threaten you?” He asked, feigning confusion. “We’re friends!”

Taehyung walked away from a vandalized car and a terrified thug exclaiming something about how if they pester Jungkook enough, he’ll buy them food.

+

Jungkook found him, like trouble does.

In the dorms, he had just returned from the principal’s office, he came right after he’s sat on the bed, sighing, deception was hard work. He reached under his bed for his stash, he grabbed a chocolate bar, already feeling better.

Jungkook sat in front of him, on the opposite bed. But he didn’t say anything, until Taehyung hesitatingly offered him the candy bar. An invitation, an offer, a sign that Taehyung wasn’t an enemy.

Jungkook stared, but then took it. Taehyung knows the question of what he’s said in that office was on the tip of the Golden boy’s tongue. He’s been dragged out of their morning run quite publicly, he’s sure he’s dying to know what went down in that office, though it didn’t look like it.

“Do you know who Minjun is?” Taehyung asked, calmly.

Jungkook frowned, “The one who snores too loud.” He replied.

Taehyung chuckled, “Well, we won’t have to put up with his snoring anymore.”

It took him a second to get it, and Taehyung saw how his eyes lit up with realization when he did realize what Taehyung was saying. He had such expressive eyes, too big for his own good. Jungkook didn’t have to worry about getting caught cause the school already has culprit. And he doubts that with all the stress they’re under that they will bother to investigate further.

Plus, Taehyung made sure his story is as identical to reality as possible. Minju and Youngdo were rivals and it was true that Minju was jealous of the Youngdo and it was also true that they have been in multiple fights together.

And if asked, students will support this narrative. Lies aren’t noticed if they look like the truth.

“Thought you weren’t a snitch.”

“I’m not. Its not snitching if its revenge.” Taehyung shrugged. “Bastard had it comin’”

“What has he done to you?” Jungkook asked, ripping open the paper of the candy.

“Piece of jumped me once cause I didn’t wanna lower my price.”

Taehyung wasn’t always strong, but he always has been smart. so his brains abled him to smuggle in some goods, but it didn’t help him when a guy who towered over him wished to take without giving in return.

“Why didn’t you just tell the truth?” Jungkook asked after a pause. Why did you protect me; was what he meant.

“What’s the fun about that, Bambi?” Taehyung countered, that boxy wicked smile spread across his face.

“Why do you keep calling me that?” Jungkook frowned deeper.

“You have big pretty eyes.”

The compliment seemed to throw him off obviously, and he scratched his nape in awkwardness. “Sorry man, I don’t swing that way.”

“It’s just a compliment, Bambi.” Tae shook his head muttering something about how toxic masculinity has ruined everything.

They exchanged more talk, that is until they heard a ruckus outside, they both went to the window to watch men drag away an unsuspecting and protesting Minjun, they both stood there, Jungkook realizing that this boy was dangerous enough for his words to have this type of consequences and Taehyung realizing that Jungkook was the type to corner a guy in the showers in the middle of the night to beat him bloody.

“Was that threat real?” Taehyung suddenly asked, “About burying him?”

Jungkook paused, hesitating, was this boy trustworthy enough for him to confess his murderous tendencies to? But if he wanted to bring him down, he seemed to be capable enough of it, judging by the echoes of a few of his words.

Taehyung could’ve destroyed him, But he didn’t, and that was worth something if not everything.

“Yes.” He answered.

Taehyung should’ve been afraid of the honesty dripping from that statement. Taehyung should be afraid of this boy, but he wasn’t.

+

This was going to happen either way.

Taehyung was just waiting for the man to call for him. he knew they had to speak, since they couldn’t ignore the elephant in the room anymore.

So sitting before his best friend’s father, he stared around the study, he hasn’t been here before in all his stay with Jungkook. No one comes in uninvited, but Taehyung doubts anyone would want to get invited, considering how ing creepy this place is.

“How is my son doing, Taehyung?” Phoenix asked after pleasantries were over.

“Jungkook will get over it.” Taehyung answered, honestly. “It’s hard. It has to be. But he’ll be fine.”

“What he has done wasn’t easy.” Phoenix commented, Taehyung doesn’t know what he was implying.

He paused a moment, “It was necessary.” Taehyung replied. “But yes, it was hard.”

“Do you really think that? Or did Jungkook tell you to speak this way?”

“Jungkook doesn’t know I’m here.” Taehyung told him, and it was true, and it hadx to be this way. Taehyung had too speak with this man, this had to happen, ignoring that he is a stranger that’s getting involved will only result in Phoenix getting more and more suspicious in him and even his son.

Suspicion leads to unexpected things.

“Do you lie to him often?”

“Yes.” Taehyung answered almost immediately. “I lie to him all the time.” Phoenix narrowed his eyes for a moment, trying to see if he was being mocking or sarcastic, if so, then he’s even dumber than he thinks. But Taehyung had a neutral expression, staring back at him.

Phoenix chuckled, but he didn’t ask him why. Instead he began; “So why should I trust you meddling in my business.”

“Your son needs me, I keep him sane.” It didn’t make much sense considering that Taehyung seemed barely sane himself. “So I don’t really think you have a choice.”

The powerful man raised a brow, feeling challenged, “I can just shoot you right now.”

Taehyung nodded, “Of course you can.” He spoke smoothly, “Jungkook won’t like that though.”

Phoenix sat back, so this kid thinks he has ultimate protection just because he’s friends with Jungkook, or is it something more? “My son is very fond of you.”

Taehyung smiled at that. “Don’t worry, he’s not fond of me that way.” He explained. “I just grow on people.”

“You sure do.” Phoenix agreed. Taehyung was here for two months, he’s befriended all the servants, he probably knows all their gossip, he also befriended some of his men, the important ones who get to enter his study as well. Sehun says he’s cute and Kai believes he’s adorable. Taehyung was endearing and he knew it. He used it.

Phoenix didn’t like it though. Someone walking around this estate, making people trust him too much. Specially not a stranger.

“Once again, you gave me no reason to trust you, why should I trust your loyalty?”

“I’m loyal to your son.” There was certain weight to the statement, that made Phoenix narrow his eyes more, was this boy as devoted to Jungkook as he says he is?

Phoenix paused, “I like you, kid.” He said suddenly, “But your loyalty must lie with Neugdae Pa too.”

Taehyung thought for a moment, there were many things swimming in his eyes, uncertainty wasn’t one of them. “My family won’t be happy with a tattoo on my neck.”

“You get a tattoo and my son and Neugdae Pa is the only family you’ll have.”

“Will you offer me protection, when they come to claim their own?”

Taehyung seemed worried, somewhat fearful, maybe the most human like he’s looked like since they’ve spoken. He could understand, he knows how ruthless the sons of the Kim family were, so he does understand the young boy’s fear.

“Get a wolf on your neck. You’ll be our own.” Phoenix decided, “And we protect our own.”