Arsonist's lullaby.

Wolves

There was a certain beauty to fire. Fire destroyed all, She's always admired open flames. It reminded her of how lithe humans were before mother nature. It reminded her of how small she really was compared to the universe, the stars and the flames burning furiously. The sight was somewhat comforting.

She stood from afar, she's arrived just in time to witness the catastrophic situation. And while she was oddly comforted by the fire, for the boy who fell to his knees in front of his childhood home and everything he's ever loved being burned to the ground, screaming for everything he's lost, the fire was anything but comforting. It was her comfort and his suffering for the same reason that made reality seem a bit altered at that moment. How can fire be so beautiful to her yet so destructive to another?
Smoke enveloped him, he was barely noticeable through it, sirens rang in a distance and people stood on their front porch to watch the situation as it unfolded. The girl in the black hood and mask, watched from a distance, taking a long drag out of her cigarette. The smoke coming from her cigarette blended with the smoke coming from the burning house and as the first fire fighter car arrived on the scene, the boy already starting his motorbike began: "We should go."

She didn't answer, only hopped on the bike behind the boy, and together they left the scene right before the police arrived. They alwyas left before the police arrives, while the boy's voice and the sirens rang through the air, "Hyung!"

On the other side of the country, laid his brother peacefully, not knowing what tragedy had hit his family. On his uncomfortable, small bed in his boarding school, he had to sleep, no matter what nightmares hit him, no matter how uncomfortable he was, no matter how he worried he was.

Which proved to be a harder task to speak about than to accomplish.

He quietly crawled out of bed, grabbing jacket and walking outside, which wasn't allowed. But Jungkook knew he could break the rules as long as he doesn't get caught. And he had mastered the art of so.
Jumping over the fence,- which is once again not exactly morally correct- he looked back at the prison they labeled a school. Shaking his head if the rebellious ideas going through his head, he continued walking, deciding to reach the near by river to sit by until morning comes.

Jungkook was too used to this. Too used to have to wonder out at night. His mother has always told him he was a night owl. He misses his mother and his brother, reaching to his jacket pocket and fishing out the phone he had done some more morally questionably things to smuggle inside the boarding school, he decided to give them a call.
His brother didn't answer, nor did his mother. And the home phone number was out of service. He shrugged the worrying off, because he couldn't bare anymore responsibility on his shoulders. His shoulders were broad but not enough to bear so much.After hanging out there, singing, and trowing rocks, sunrise was around the corner and he now has to leave. When he got back, the first thing he saw as he greeted his colonel good morning, was a pitying expression and a comforting hand on his broad shoulders who were just about to collapse.

-

It was loud, colors and patterns everywhere. The yacht party was booming loudly, people drinking, dancing and grinding up on each other like animals, screaming and .

Chanyeol preferred these parties the best, specially since he know his mistress absolutely adored the loud music and the sea view. He sat on one the comfortable chairs near the railing as his mistress danced blissfully with a bottle of champagne -the very expensive kind- in her hand. She swayed her hips and danced with her girl friends carelessly since she knew that no body would dare to come near her, for Chanyeol was hosting this party and he sat right there, with his wallet and gun casually sitting before him and his men behind him, who surely loaded.

He watched her and almost smiled, how beautiful, how unearthly and how poetic is was that he, of all people has found someone to fit him like a glove. Someone like his mistress who took every weight of his shoulder just with looking like herself and smiling at him.

She noticed, inbetween the sweaty bodies, and the scent of alcohol and drugs in the air, she saw him looking at her and she smiled, walking towards him. She wore short black shorts and a faded pink crop top, and was barefoot as she walked towards him, still holding the bottle of champagne in her hand and adjusting her flower crown atop of her head. She giggled as she fell into his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck as he kept her from falling. She was obviously a bit tipsy as her long hair tickled his face, "Channie.." She smiled.

"Yes, baby." He replied.

"Can we spend the night here?" She pit her head on his shoulder and rested softly with a sigh. "I'm tired.."

"Sure, baby whatever you want." He replied and Kai snickered from behind them both. To say the least, Chanyeol was absolutely whipped, because the knew his boss was going to have to leave extra early in the morning on a helicopter to get to meetings on time but wasn't going to mind because his pretty little mistress asked him to. Chanyeol glared at him in warning and he cleared his throat and looked the other way.

"Wake me up before sun rise.. I wanna see it." She murmured in his neck and he snapped his arms around as he wiggled herself to sleep but not before kissing his cheek softly.

He coddled her, and the people kept dancing away their pain. Softly, he kissed her forehead.

His phone rang and he was too lazy to answer and Kai answered for him, getting away from him a bit, exclaiming that Phoenix was busy, then retracting his words and blurting a loud, "Wait what?!"

He got Chanyeol's attention that way, "What is it?"

Kai lowered himself and whispered ringing the devastating news. Chanyeol didn't move for a while. Stared ahead, as the people continued dancing away. And then, he stood up, settled his pretty mistress on the couch and taking his jacket off to cover her of the cold wind. Chanyeol retired to his private cabin as people still danced away. He didn’t come out until his ride came to pick him up from the wide sea. Tiffany frowned at the wrecked furniture in their cabin, something must’ve happened at work.

++++

"Hyung!" Jaehyun cried as his brother cane marching towards him, his uniform still on. Jungkook didn't waste time to embrace his brother tightly. His brother cried and Jungkook wanted to do the same but he restrained himself. 

Men don't cry.

"She's gone, Hyung.." He whimpered. "It's all gone.. Our house.. Everything. Everything is gone."

"I know. I know, Jae." He comforted. "But we're gonna be okay. We're gonna be just fine."

The irony was that Jungkook didn't even believe the words he uttered. House gone, father in a coma- that he wasn't expected to wake up from, mother dead. No relatives that will be willing to take them. His mother's side of the family haven't spoke to them for 20 years. Where the will they even stay the night? But as he always did, he kept the worrying to himself. His brother eventually fell asleep, right on the hospital's uncomfortable seats and Jungkook scrolled through his contacts, trying to find somewhere they could stay the night, till they find out what they're gonna do.

He called every relative he knew, some claimed to be out of the country, some didn't answer their phones, some hung up on him when he told them he needed a place to stay. Eventually Jungkook, too, tasted tears on his lips just as he slipped into deep sleep. Wheather he was crying about the loss of his mother or the lack of options they had, Jungkook didn't know.

He woke up to the sound of heels ticking annoyingly, he groaned himself awake, looking around himself. Jaehyun wasn't there and he looked around, he found his uniform jacket which he was covering his younger brother with now covering him. But panic settled in his mind before anything else could, he sprung upwards and looked around, the floor swayed beneath him as he looked around through blurry vision.

Only to be met in the hospital hallway, with a short woman in her thirties, ing her hand at him, "Park Jungkook?"

"Jeon," He corrected. Shaking her hand politely. 

"Kim Yebin, Social Services."

"Ah, yes." Jungkook realized. "I was waiting for your visit." He shakingly reached for his wallet, taking out his ID. "I'm 18, I can take custody of my brother. Until we understand our father's um.. Condition. Is there any paperwork that I must fill?" Jungkook spoke with despair. He was trying to be as presentable as possible but this woman can sign his brother off to an orphanage if she feels, he isn’t responsible or old enough. Jaehyun wouldn’t survive a day in an orphanage.

"No." She said. "Actually, I've contacted your biological father and he is willing to take you in. He has already filled the paperwork."

The words hit Jungkook hard. Biological father was a word he heard his mother utter, his real father. He knew he had one, he was out there but he didn't know his name. He knew he was probably a dead beat piece of who left his mother after getting what he wanted.
"Isn't he dead?"

The social worker smiled, but it didn't make him feel any better. If so, worse. "No," she said. "He's alive and well- actually, here he is."

Men walked behind him. His appearance was that of a royal member. Tall and buff figure, firm steps and hard gaze. Dressed in a suit probably more expensive than all of their attires combined. Evil in its true human form.

Park Chanyeol. A devil in a human vessel.

"There must be a mistake." He turned to the woman, "My father isn't that man."

She looked confusingly at her files, "It says here that he is, you and your brother are now in the custody of Mr. Park."

"Ma'am, there is a mistake." He exclaimed. As she greeted Mr. Park with a cheerful smile. Hell, she sees some bad at work all the time, she probably thinks this is a great happy ending.

"I appreciate your help Ms. Kim. Thank you for your efforts to contact me." He smiled charmingly.

Jungkook stood in a daze as they exchanged small talk and she excused herself that she had business to attend to.

The devil turned to him, "Hello, son."

"Hyung?" Jaehyun stood there, coffee in his hands. "Who is this?"

+

"We're not going anywhere with you." Jungkook stood his ground. His brother watching the scene fold out, confused but having picked up what was happening considering the heated argument between them both.

"Don't be stubborn, son." The man said. The word ticked Jungkook odd for a reason unknown to himself. And Park Chanyeol noticed how it pissed him off.

"Where are you gonna go? The streets? Your house that was burned to the ground? Get in into your head, I'm the best option both if you have."

"Look." Jungkook began, his tone aggressive and assertive. "I don't give a who you are. I don't care who you bribed to put us here. But we are not going anywhere with you. And that's ing final."
His expression changed, that when Jungkook realized, maybe being so aggressive wasn't in his favor. The expression he held was now scary, he clearly wasn't used to being challenged.

"I don't appreciate your tone, kid." He warned. "But it's fine. You're eighteen, you can do whatever you want. But he." he pointed at his brother, an unsuspecting Jaehyun. "Is legally mine."

The two men behind him moved, Jungkook couldn't stop them as they seized his brother by the shoulders who shouted a loud, "Get off me!"

Jungkook in a second was pushing them off, snarling like an animal, they obliged when his father signaled them away. He pushed his brother behind him and stood in a defense stance, "You touch him and I'll kill you." He threatened, loud and clear. He looked his father dead in the eyes and continued, "I swear I'll kill you all."

His father smirked, the kid reminded him of a younger version of himself, all arrogant and wild. Ready to slaughter for the ones he loves.
"Then, please, after you." He gestured the wide hallway, to leave.

"Are you kidnapping us?" Jaehyun spoke.

"I'm your father. No kidnap." He explained, his expression became neutral.

"Where are you taking us?" Jaehyun asked.

"Well, home, of course."

Jaehyun looked at his brother and they both silently agreed. Jungkook let his brother walk before him, to watch him like a hawk, careful of his father's men.
They entered a car, Jungkook and his brother rode a different car than his father. Jaehyun clutched his backpack close to him, Jungkook was told his brother was at a private lesson when the incident happened.

"Jae?" He called, his brother who was busy taking out his laptop hummed. "How much money do you have?" He spoke in fluent Chinese.

"Not much.." He answered in Mandarin as well. "200 and some from my savings."

"250, 300?"

"Yes." Jaehyun answered as typed along his keyboard.

"Jae, you don't have to do your assignments, it's okay." Jungkook assured, but his brother only turned the laptop towards him. The laptop displayed a search engine's results on the keywords: Park Chanyeol. There were many headlines;

'PARK CHANYEOL, BETTER KNOWN AS PHOENIX, ESCAPES YET ANOTHER CONVICTION WITH HELP FROM KRYSTAL JUNG!'

'PHOENIX IS ATTACKED ON ALL FRONTS- BUT HE DOESN'T SEEM TO CARE!'

'PHOENIX HOLDS HIS ANNUAL CHARITY GALA, AND ESCORTS HIS MISTRESS TO IT!'

That one particularly caught his attention, it had a photo attached to it. The photo of Phoenix's mistress, wearing an elegant black dress, his father's arm around her tiny waist, raising the glass to the money they raised for an orphan shelter.

Jaehyun watched silently as his brother's jaw clenched and then relaxed all on its own. "Does she live with him?" He asked, once again, in Mandarin.

"I think so...” He guessed. "We have to avoid her, too. Let me do all the talking there, okay?

The two men riding in the front seats glanced at them, and Jungkook glared right back. "Okay, hyung." Jae answered.

"We're gonna have to stay there a while. Until I can get some cash."

"What about dad?"

"What about him?" Jungkook coldly replied.

"Is he going to die?"

"The doctors say he technically is dead." Jungkook explained. "They don't think he'll wake up."

Jaehyun exhaled, sadness catching up to him. "How long are we gonna stay here?"

"Two nights... A week tops." He assured.

"What if he locks us up?"

"He doesn't have to." Jungkook grimly answered. "He already has us exactly where he wants us to be."

And before them was a wide estate. A beautiful mansion. A golden cage.

-

They were led up to a luxurious room, their own little golden cage.

The maids told him that they had separate bedrooms but Jungkook told her that they'll both be staying together. God knows what they'll do at night to his brother. Hell, they might take him away.
Jungkook opened one of the closet doors open, and found exactly what he was expecting. The closet was filled with lots of clothes that fit him and his brother like a glove. Jaehyun observed how his brother moved around the wide room, he seemed to know his way around.

He threw some clothes on the bed, "Go take a shower, Jae. You need to get some sleep."

"What about you?" Jae took the clothes obediently, standing up. "You need to get some sleep too."

"I slept fine." Another lie he's told his brother that day.

"Hyung-"

"Jaehyun, please." He cut him off, closing his eyes. He can't argue right now. He can't, he will lose his if he has to argue over petty matters.

"Fine.." The boy obeyed, snatching the towel and disappearing into the bathroom,

Jungkook opened the laptop again, researching about his father once again, though he didn't have to. He knew all there was to know.

Park Chanyeol, aka Phoenix, one of the biggest business men in Korea. Heavily involved with the Asian mob. Known for his ruthlessness and unforgiving nature, and strong ties with the Korean government.
Loyalty is the most important thing to him, anyone who betrays him is to be killed. And had a signature tactic to send the snitch's head to his family's doorstep wrapped in a bow.

And he was his father. And they were now present in the wolf's den.
He had to get out of here.

-

“They haven’t exited their rooms since arriving.” The maid reported, Chanyeol listened quietly. The maid fidgeted uncomfortably, the master’s study was a creepy old wide study that had a certain energy in that screamed at her to run. All the maids hated coming here to clean and they had to switch roles every other week. “Do you want me to call them for breakfast, Master?”

After he brought his boys back from the hospital, he left, because of a certain emergency in China, which he blames his partner entirely for. Kris should’ve known better than to trust the Chois, they were trained and initiated to be wild dogs, rogues, always hungry and never satisfied. Of course they stole and when comforted, they lashed out, killing one of their men.

He flew all the way to Beijing to kill the motherer who dared top strip a son of his father for a couple of grams.

He has returned afterwards at about two in the morning, “No.” he decided, “Just call Jungkook here. Get us some coffee and if Baekhyun arrives, send him up.” He commanded, his head aching horribly as he contemplated what sort of reaction he should take with his sons. They were obviousky scared out of their wits. And Jungkook was trying to avoid all human contact in the estate till he can go somewhere else. But there was no where they could go. Chanyeol made sure of that, by calling every relative they had and making a direct threat to them. They had no one to turn to now. No one but him.

Jungkook walked in hesitantly after knocking, “hello,” he greeted politely with a bow.

His father greeted him back, gestured him to come closer and sit down. Jungkook obeyed, with a gulp as he glanced at the gun sitting casually before his father. His father didn’t seem to mind it, and Jungkook knew it was purposely brought out to terrorize him into submission, but no. Jungkook refuses to be threatened by a cowardly drug dealer who hides behind charity galas and a corporate suit.

“You haven’t been eating.” Chanyeol stated the obvious. “Why?”

“We ate, just in our room.” He replied.

“Why are you eating in your bedroom, again?” He wondered calmly, maintaining a neutral expression.

Jungkook was quiet, he didn’t reply but instead, he began, “When is the funeral?”

If Chanyeol noticed the obvious change of subject, he didn’t mention it. “The day after tomorrow.”

Jungkook nodded, “How is my father?-“

“Step father,” Chanyeol cut in, his expression wasn’t neutral but wasn’t angry. Chanyeol somehow surrounded himself with a clam, peaceful energy as well as a chaotic one. Jungkook didn’t like how he couldn’t read the man’s emotion at all. “Clinically dead.” He answered bluntly. “and you haven’t answered my question.”

“Jaehyun.. he’s scared of your men who seem to be around at all times.” He lied through his teeth.

Chanyeol knew so as well, “There isn’t anything to be afraid of.” He dismissed.

“Well, they look like thugs. Act like thugs.” He answered bluntly. “And they got guns. What is there not to be afraid of?”

“Don’t be a smartass.” He warned. “You and I know that isn’t true. You can’t talk your way out of this one. Why haven’t you been leaving your rooms?”

“We are scared.”

Chanyeol shook his head, “stop lying.”

Jungkook paused, “You’re a criminal.”

Chanyeol smiled, the elephant in the room finally brought to the conversation. “Am I?”

“Yes, you are.” The boy insisted. “You are a criminal and I won’t let you make criminals out of us as well.”

Chanyeol chortled, as he looked at the fiery eyes of his son. Believing he was doing the right thing, he stood his ground. But little did he know, the grounds he stood upon weren’t solid. Right and wrong were a social construct created by the men in power to make those below them believe that they shouldn’t anything liberating because it is wrong while, they do as they wish and slip by every law untouched. “Define, Criminal.” He demanded.

Jungkook’s eyes wavered but he looked as if he was challenged, he took a deep breath and began: “A drug dealer, a murderer. A man who forces himself on helpless women, a -“

“What?” Chanyeol roughly cut in. “I am no .” The statements was said in a way which can not be questioned. He was not a and refuses to be insulted that way by his own son.

“Yeah.” He bitterly snickered, “My mother got pregnant on her own.”

“Your mother and I loved each other,” He defended.

“And I’m supposed to believe you?” He growled at his father, not believing a word that was coming out of his mouth.

“Yes. You are.” Chanyeol exclaimed. Who put that idea in his head? Was it that piece of stepfather? Was it someone else?

“You’re a criminal and I refuse to inherit you,” The boy stated.

“Look kid, I run drugs, I got weapons going in and out of my territory but I am not a .”

“And you kill people.”

“Those who deserve a bullet, get one.”

Jungkook looked at him with disgust, “You’re not God,” He attacked. “You don’t get to decide who lives and who dies.”

“I didn’t say I’m God,” Chanyeol denied, “I didn’t say I was a vigilante trying to achieve justice either, I’m just a man who has seen some and believes that the world is better off without certain people in it.”

“I think the world would be better off without you.” Jungkook admitted quietly but proudly.

“Is that a threat?” Phoenix looked like he was – above all things, impressed.

Jungkook paused, perhaps realizing the weight of his own words. “Maybe.”

Phoenix had the audacity to laugh, hard and loud, threw his head back and laughed. As he was laughing, the door opened, Baekhyun walked in quietly. Chanyeol stopped his laughter, and gestured Baekhyun closer, “Good morning, Phoenix.”

“Good morning, Baekhyun.” He greeted back, and began “What do we have on the schedule today?”

“Meeting with the boeard memebrs in two hours, then a meeting and lunch with Mr. Wu and Choi Siwon –“ 

"Can I go?" He asked for permission. But when his father didn't answer, nor pay him any heed, the chair behind him shrieked as it was pushed violently and Jungkook simply walked out. To hell with him
It was only a couple of hours until a Sehun walked into his office and yelled; "They're gone."

-

"We need to keep away from main roads, hotels, hospitals and anywhere he could track." Jungkook instrcuted as he put down his bag on the floor. Jaehyun looked around the fancy place and frowned; "Who's place is this?" His brother looked around the fancy apartment he was led to.

"A friend of mine." Jungkook informed vaguely

"From school?" He wondered and his brother nodded.

His phone rang and he quickly answered it, going into the balcony. "Hey, Tae," He greeted.

"Have you settled in yet?" The boy answered. Taehyun was a weird kid he's known from the prison they called a school, second son to a prestegious family of lawyers, he was an aspiring talented artist. Taehyung told him that he was making too much trouble in Seoul so they sent him to military school for discipline, Which didn't exactly work since Taehyung spent more time in detention and solitary than in classes. 

"Yeah, its nice." Jungkook complimented. 

"Thanks, its my girlfriend's taste." Did Jungkook mention that Taehyung was unbelievingly rich and had a fashonista girlfriend who's net worth was over two million?

"When is she coming home? We only have to stay tonight."

"No. man, I told you she's out of town for the rest of the month"

"Are you sure she won't mind?-"

There was a ruckus suddenly on the phone and a loud 'bang'. "Tae, you okay?-"

"Yeah I'm fine. I thought the genral was coming and I fell off the bed." Did Jungkook mention how weird Taehyung actually was?

He smiled, "You should go, Tae." He said, phones were phorbidden, they were only allowed phone calls on Fridays to Family and that's it. But Taehyung wasn't one to stick with the rules. Taehyung was the kind to read the rules outloud before breaking them, so was Jungkook, but the latter liked to break rules on the sly instead. "Thanks again."

"Oh ," Taehyung muttered hurriedly, "Someone's really coming this time. I got a gift for you. It's on the coffee table, If you're father kills you don't hunt me. Love you, bye." And the line was disconnected.

He chuckled at his friend's antics and walked inisde again, and saw the medium sized box with a bow on top, his brother seemed to be inspecting it already, pulling the fake knot off, suddenly the lid flew off, frightening the both of them and a clown ed out of the box. Jae breathed out in surprise and Jungkook shook his head once again, the two boys approached the box again and inspected it. 

Aside from the clown, the box contained two one way ticket to Beijing, and an envelope full of money. 

"I don't want to leave home." Jae complained.

"We don't have a home." He bitterly reminded. "Ours burned down, and that place is just a prison."

"Still... I don't want to leave home." His little brother argued.

"This isn't a discussion." Jungkook asserted, reather agressively. "We are leaving in the morning and that's final." He turned his back to Jaehyun, taking out the bills and starting to count them as his brother kept glaring holes into the back of his head. 

"You don't get to do this anymore, okay?" Jaehyun suddenly snapped, "You don't get to play the leader while I follow you like a lost puppy, I'm not a kid anymore."

His brother stopped counting and turned around to face him. "I am your Hyung and I know what's best." He claimed. "I am not playing the leader, I am one, Wheather you like it or not, we are leaving Seoul first thing in the morning."

"I'm not going anywhere,"  He said, "We should have stayed with Chanyeol.  He's the best option we have." 

"He's a criminal-"

"We don't know if that's true." Jaehyun cut in curtly.

"Yes, Jaehyun, everyone is wrong and you are right, excellent logic." Jungkook mocked as he crossed his arms against his chest., the bitterness and frustration showing in his attitude.

"I'm not speaking with you until you stop being condescending."

"I'm being real." Jungkook stated.

"I am not a child anymore!" His brother suddenly yelled. Anger, frustration and the feeling of being so small under his brother's gaze made him snap. "And I am not leaving Seoul, -"

Suddenly as they quarled, three bangs resonated from the door, their heads both snapped at to the door. Jungkook put a finger on his lips, gesturing his brother to be quiet, his younger brother nodded. But then a voice spoke, "Break the door, we ain't got all day." Jungkook was facing the door, but was backing away, his arms blindly reaching for his brother to usher him behind him. his eyes still staring at the door. he heard his brother mutter a soft prayer, maybe he thought they were gonna die. The disturbing thing, was that Jungkook knew they weren't going to die. They were just gonna be hurt. really, really badly.
The door then broke down, making an awful sound of wreckage and there stood Kai, Sehun and his father.

+

Author's note: Imagine Jaehyun as Y from Golden child not Jaehyun from NCT.