Snow

Winning Over Mr. Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeonghan shuffled out of bed with eyes half-open and a blanket draped over his shoulders. Sure it was warm inside the cabin but he was hypersensitive when it came to temperature change. The brunette held the blanket close as he made his way into the kitchen to grab himself a glass of water. It was way past midnight but he just couldn't sleep, after having his sleeping patterns ed up because of work he never managed to get back to a proper schedule. The unfamiliar bed he was in also didn't help, the mattress was slightly too firm and the sheets felt scratchy. Just as he turned the corner, Jeonghan stopped. Mingyu was standing over the stove stirring a pot with a pair of chopsticks. The taller man turned to look at the brunette, they shared a moment of awkward silence.

Jeonghan quickly went over to grab a glass from the overhead cabinet, he filled it water water and turned to leave. Before he could slip away, Mingyu's warm palm wrapped around his wrist forcing him to stop. Jeonghan looked at the CEO's son with a questioning gaze.

"Can we talk?" Mingyu asked.

"Sure," Jeonghan said as he set his glass down on the kitchen bench.

"Thank you for letting me and Minghao stay in your cabin...despite what happened between us," Mingyu said, his face filled with regret.

"Care to tell me why you drank yourself stupid that night I saw you in Hongdae?" Jeonghan leaned against the wooden threshold to the kitchen.

"I don't know, I just wanted to forget," Mingyu frowned. "Drinking seems to work for my dad."

"What did you want to forget?" Jeonghan pulled his blanket closer.

"The way I acted, the way I treated you and how much I resent my old man," Mingyu answered as he turned the stove off.

"I figured," Jeonghan nodded as he watched Mingyu slurp the ramen noodles he'd just made.

"I was surprised your younger brother didn't kick me out when he saw me enter the cabin," Mingyu said.

"He's the kind to not hold grudges," Jeonghan explained. "Forgiveness comes easier to him than it does for me."

"Does that mean you're still mad at me?" Mingyu asked.

"Rather than mad, you could say I'm a little concerned," Jeonghan replied.

"Concerned?" Mingyu's eyebrows drew together.

"What was it about your father's words that made you react that way? There's more to it, isn't there?" Jeonghan speculated.

Mingyu halted his chopsticks.

"Did I hit a nerve?" Jeonghan cocked his head.

Mingyu didn't answer.

"Hey, I'm sorry for not being more sympathetic toward you that day, okay? You needed someone to lean on and I gave you an open mouth. I'll be nicer, okay?" Jeonghan moved over to rub Mingyu's back.

"Can I stay in your room?" Mingyu looked over at Jeonghan with a hopeful expression.

"Sofa's not working out for you?" Jeonghan smiled playfully.

"It feels like I'm sleeping on an uneven hiking trail," Mingyu admitted.

"Finish your ramen," Jeonghan patted Mingyu's back as he headed back to his room, the brunette stopped by the threshold and looked over his shoulder. "I'll leave the door unlocked, come in when you're ready."

Jeonghan climbed back into bed and pulled the covers up to his waist as he finished replying to an email. He knew he shouldn't be working during his break but the sudden lack of responsibilities made him antsy, it just didn't feel right doing nothing despite it once being his favourite pastime. Just as he pressed send, the door to his room cracked open and in came Mingyu carrying a pillow.

"Do you sleep on the left or right side?" Jeonghan asked as he sat up.

"In the middle," Mingyu swallowed.

"Same," Jeonghan replied.

There was a long moment of silence.

"I'll take the left," Mingyu finally said before he slipped under the covers.

Jeonghan hid his amusement as he watched Mingyu settle in on the opposite side of the bed and made sure none of their limbs were touching. It was actually nice sharing a bed with Mingyu again. Despite the space that separated them, Jeonghan could feel the heat radiating from the younger man's body -- Jeonghan wanted to move closer. So he did.

"Jeonghan-hyung?" Mingyu asked, his breath hitched.

"I'm not trying anything, Kim Mingyu," Jeonghan assured. "I'm cold and you're warm, think of it as helping the less fortunate."

"O-okay," Mingyu was stiff -- Jeonghan felt like a monkey hanging on a tall tree.

"You didn't answer my question earlier, why did your dad's words affect you to that extent?" Jeonghan rested his head on Mingyu's chest.

"We've always had issues," Mingyu's tone became serious. "Our relationship has always been just him giving me money and asking about school when and if we saw each other. My mom passed away when I was ten and after she died, he went from being just distant to the man you see now who doesn't believe in positive reinforcement."

"Well that explains a few things," Jeonghan was genuinely surprised, he'd just assumed the CEO was secretive about his marriage because he liked his privacy.

"Yeah," Mingyu sighed.

"Must've been lonely," Jeonghan patted Mingyu's chest.

"Even before she died, dad and I didn't really have any issues, we were just awkward but after her passing the man became such a condescending prick. I know I shouldn't be badmouthing the man who paid for my comfortable lifestyle but you've seen firsthand what kind of person he is."

"He's definitely...controlling," Jeonghan agreed.

"I feel like I'll never be able to please that man, not as long as this face reminds him of my mom," Mingyu said pointing at himself.

"I'm no therapist but I think you and your dad need to start talking more," Jeonghan touched Mingyu's soft locks.

"I've been trying to for a decade, hyung. He doesn't want to listen," Mingyu's hand formed a fist under the covers.

"Let's just forget about this for the time being and enjoy the trip. It's almost Christmas, don't let this ruin it for you," Jeonghan suggested.

"I'd like that," Mingyu nodded.

"You okay with me being this close or did you want me to back up?" The brunette looked into Mingyu's eyes.

"I'd rather you didn't move," Mingyu answered sheepishly.

"You're actually not bad company when you aren't being a pain in the ," Jeonghan said as Mingyu leaned in so they were nose to nose.

"Such lovely words always leave your mouth," Mingyu commented sarcastically before giving the brunette's lips a soft peck.

"You need lip balm," Jeonghan teased as he a line over Mingyu's chapped lips.

"Fix it for me, Jeonghan-hyung," Mingyu whispered in his hyung's ear.

"You better get your hand out of my pants, Kim Mingyu. We're not doing anything, I refuse to do any physical activity in my nice pyjamas," Jeonghan warned as he faced away from Mingyu.

"Hyung," Mingyu pressed up close against Jeonghan's back.

"Goodnight," Jeonghan said and turned off the lamp by his side of the bed.

"Goodnight," Mingyu said grudgingly as he gave up and settled in to sleep.

"Are you using my buttcrack to keep your warm?" Jeonghan asked as he felt something solid press against his behind.

Mingyu pretended to snore.

"You ing palm tree," Jeonghan mumbled.

 

Soonyoung felt very out of place. He stood in the snow with his glove clad hands stuck inside his pockets and a large woolen beanie pulled low on his head. He'd arrived at the ski resort the previous night around the evening and had spent the majority of his time familiarizing himself with Wonwoo's group of friends. From the high power corporate types that were Kim Mingyu and Yoon Jeonghan to the eccentric artist Xu Minghao, Soonyoung just didn't feel like he belonged. Everyone else seemed so interesting compared to himself, it was a little disheartening. As he prepared to head back to the cabin, Soonyoung felt a pair of arms wrap around his legs.

"Soonyoung-hyung?" Siwoo's voice asked.

"Hey Siwoo," Soonyoung said as he got down on one knee.

"My glasses are all blurry," the four year old complained.

"Do you need me to help with that?" Soonyoung asked.

"Yes," Siwoo nodded.

"Where's your dad?" Soonyoung suddenly realized the four year old was alone.

"He went to buy food, he told me to wait here," Siwoo answered while Soonyoung wiped the layer of frost off his glasses.

"Are you having fun?"

"No," Siwoo pouted. " It's cold and the snow is weird and squishy."

"Not liking the snow?" Soonyoung was shocked, most kids loved the snow.

"Why are we paying money to be cold?" Siwoo looked up at Soonyoung with a dead serious expression.

"You've got a really good point there, buddy," Soonyoung chuckled, the kid was an absolute riot.

Soonyoung wiped away the tears of laughter from his eyes and followed Siwoo's gaze. The boy's fox-like eyes were focused on a family a few metres away. Siwoo stared intently as a mother helped her son build a snowman while the father was taking photos of the two a few steps away. Soonyoung frowned seeing the longing in Siwoo's eyes. He gently touched the boy's cheeks and nodded over at the empty sleds placed by a small set of slopes.

"You want to go sledding?"

"Is it fun?" Siwoo looked skeptical.

"You'll never know if you don't have a go," Soonyoung said holding out his hand.

"My legs are short!" Siwoo complained as Soonyoung tugged at his hand. "I can't take big steps, Soonyoung-hyung."

"You're going to catch up to your dad in no time, bud," Soonyoung smiled at the kid. "Those legs aren't going to stay short for long."

"It's going to take a long time, are you going to stay until then?" Siwoo's innocent little question made Soonyoung's heartbeat accelerate.

"I..." Soonyoung swallowed.

"You don't have to answer," Siwoo said. "But I'd really like you to."

"Thanks, Siwoo," Soonyoung replied, he wanted to as well, he just didn't know if Wonwoo felt the same.

 

Jeonghan stood between a bickering Mingyu and Dokyeom as the two argued for the third time that morning. First they'd fought over who got to use the bathroom, then they argued about who had eaten all the packets of ramen in the cabinets and now they were fighting about what activity to do in the snow.

"Why the would you go snowboarding? You won't be able to fully enjoy the slopes that way," Mingyu scowled at Dokyeom.

"Skiing is for beginners, Jeonghan-hyung pre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter