Familiar

Winning Over Mr. Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you sure it's this place?” Mingyu asked as he stepped out of the car.

“The sign says pre-school, there are children all around and there's a playground,” Jihoon gave Mingyu an annoyed look. “Of course we're at the right place.”

“No need to shout, Thumbelina,” Mingyu shot back as he shuffled over to Jeonghan.

“Say that again, ,” Jihoon's lip twitched.

“Can we all be civil for just an hour? Please,” Jeonghan rubbed his temples after locking the car. “Let's all be adults and act our age, we're here to watch Siwoo's presentation and the least you can do is not embarrass the kid. He's already nervous enough without having all of us here ing around.”

“It was just yesterday when Wonwoo brought Siwoo over and he farted in my hand,” Dokyeom mused.

“Ew,” Minghao scrunched his nose as he fixed his hair in the reflection of his front camera.

“Okay single file, children,” Jeonghan clapped his hands and escorted the four younger men inside the pre-school building.

Inside the building the immediate smell of wax crayons filled the space. The four men were escorted to rows of plastic chairs where they bowed to all the other parents and took their seats. They stuck out like sore thumbs among the other guests. They weren't parents or guardians, they we just...there. Before any awkward small talk began, a smiley Jeon Wonwoo came to join them holding a camcorder in one hand and a nervous looking Siwoo on his hip.

“Thanks for coming,” Wonwoo addressed his small circle of friends.

“This must be important if you invited five people,” Dokyeom ruffled Siwoo's hair before looking back over at Wonwoo.

“I mainly needed you all to be here so I can get Siwoo's presentation filmed at different angles,” Wonwoo shamelessly admitted. “Mingyu's aerial view, Jihoon can do low angles, Dokyeom’s close ups and Jeonghan do wide.”

“What about me?” Minghao raised a ring embellished hand.

“You're here for ethnic diversity,” Wonwoo replied.

“That's ed up,” Minghao said and immediately looked around, he'd forgotten he was around children and parents who probably weren't enthused by the idea of cussing.

“I'm kidding, you just focus on photography,” Wonwoo said before looking at his wristwatch. “I need to hand Siwoo over to Soonyoung, you just sit tight and look pretty and do your best not to cause a scene.”

“We'll try,” Jeonghan said, he couldn't make any promises.

As they waited, Jeonghan's eyes wandered around looking at the various displays of art that took up the walls. The finger paintings and crudely drawn self portraits made him smile. He'd never been much of an artist but he enjoyed it. It brought back memories of him and Dokyeom on the living room floor doodling on the newspapers their dad would bring home after his day at work. Mingyu must've noticed the change in his behaviour, the younger man immediately reached over to hold his hand.

“What are you thinking about?” Mingyu asked.

“Have you ever thought about what it'd be like to be parents?” Jeonghan looked up at his lover.

“I'd be lying if I said it never crossed my mind,” Mingyu replied. “I don't think about it too often but when I see Siwoo there's a part of me that does get curious.”

“I guess we both have the same mindset,” Jeonghan tightened his grip on Mingyu's fingers. “The thought crosses my mind as well but it's just a pleasant daydream.”

“My mom once said sometimes our daydreams are a window into a different universe. One where both of us exist but doing completely different things, who knows, maybe you and I might be parents in a parallel universe,” Mingyu smiled softly.

“Funny you say that,” Jeonghan returned Mingyu's smile with one of his own. “I always imagined the two of us living in a nice little blue house converted into a coffee shop with a garden out front.”

“You and I might be having the same daydreams,” Mingyu said, his thumb caressing back and forth on Jeonghan's palm. “I keep seeing the image of you and a little boy in your arms.”

“You and I have definitely been together for too long if we're sharing the same daydreams,” Jeonghan chuckled, it was a nice thought but again it was just a daydream. “Any name come to mind when you see this little boy?”

“Daehan,” Mingyu answered almost too quickly.

“Daehan?” Jeonghan cocked a brow. “Awfully patriotic, don't you think?”

“Kim Daehan has a nice ring to it,” Mingyu argued. 

“I guess it would make sense to give him a strong name considering he'll probably grow up to be a palm tree,” Jeonghan acknowledged.

“Don't height shame our son,” Mingyu pouted.

Jeonghan laughed as he turned his attention over to the small podium set up for the children to do their presentations. The room's chatter lowered into whispers and then to complete silence. Moments later a flustered Kwon Soonyoung scurried out to address the room of parents. The man looked slightly disheveled from looking after his students.

“Thank you parents, guardians and special guests for attending our end of term presentation. I know you all have busy schedules so it means a lot to me and all the students that you're all here. The children have been working on their presentations for quite a while so please make sure to give them all the applause they deserve,” Soonyoung clapped his hands together and straightened his back.

The presentations were what you'd expect to come from small children. It was similar to a ‘show and tell’ session but the children were readin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter