An Unexpected Meeting

Winning Over Mr. Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There were two things that Yoon Jeonghan liked, structure and routine. He liked having everything in his schedule to be premeditated, hence, he hated surprises. The twenty-seven year old looked down at his wristwatch and gave a satisfied nod, it was exactly ten in the morning, he was on schedule, perfect. He quickly adjusted his tie in the reflection of the elevator wall and dusted off the nonexistent lint on his freshly dry-cleaned Armani pinstripe suit and got off on the top floor. Jeonghan ran a hand through his short perfectly quaffed chestnut locks and straightened the small decorative vase on the reception desk as he walked by -- he really disliked asymmetry. The CEO was returning from his trip to Tokyo in exactly ten minutes and Jeonghan refused to have even one thing out of place.

"Have someone bring a long black with two sugars to Mr. Kim's desk in five minutes, I want it no less than boiling and make sure everything in his office is lined up straight," Jeonghan said as the CEO's secretary ran over to take notes.

"Anything else, Jeonghan-shi?" The young woman asked as she adjusted her cat-eye rimmed glasses.

"Make sure everyone cleans up their work space, the boss hates clutter," Jeonghan said as he looked down at his watch. "Everything must be perfect, no excuses."

"Of course," the woman scurried away, her low kitten heels clacking against the polished marble floors -- yes, they had marble floors.

Jeonghan walked over to his office and scanned the interior before fixing the plaque that sat askew on his desk identifying him as the Chief Operations Officer -- or COO if you didn't want to bother with the mouthful. The brunette felt his lip twitch at the sight of his name engraved on the piece of metal. Working his way to top hadn't been easy, it had taken a whole lot of perseverance and sleepless nights. He'd joined the company young, fresh faced and starry-eyed but the cut-throat corporate life quickly changed that. Jeonghan was the typical post-graduate looking for an entry level job when he was hired. He'd done all the coffee runs and he'd spent late nights finishing work that wasn't his to do. Jeonghan had been left to handle all the paperwork since his superior knew that he was desperate to keep his job and was willing to do anything -- even if it wasn't part of his job description. After all, Jeonghan had a younger brother to put through university and bills to pay on top of his massive student loan. He was desperate for money and he was willing to take from his superiors as long as he got his paycheck.

The sleepless nights and piled up work was his life for the first year working for 'RQ&S Apparel' until the CEO found out the Chief Operations Officer at the time was taking advantage of his position. Jeonghan had forgotten to sign the paperwork using his superior's name, needless to say he was immediately called to the head honcho's office the minute things came to light. Jeonghan had expected the worst, he'd pre-packed all of the things on his desk into a box and was already sending out resumés. To his surprise he didn't get fired, instead he got a promotion and a pat on the back. Apparently he'd been doing a better job than the actual Chief Operations Officer. It was a rather unconventional way of climbing the corporate ladder but he wasn't complaining, he landed himself a high paying job and a title that would've taken a lifetime to reach. He'd hit the jackpot and he was very reluctant to throw it away.

Jeonghan checked his watch a second time and nodded as he mentally prepared himself for the arrival of their company CEO. Kim Sanghoon wasn't an unreasonable man but he was particular, especially when it came to the state and appearance of his work space. The man hated unsightly things and by unsightly that meant anything that was aesthetically unappealing. He expected everyone in the office to be presentable, not a hair out of place and god forbid someone wear anything from last season. Jeonghan had never been one to care about what he wore but working for 'RQ&S Apparel' forced him to care. Their company was all about catering the youth, specifically those belonging to the eighteen to twenty-five age bracket. Edgy, modern and new were their aesthetic -- not at all what Jeonghan liked but again, it wasn't about what he liked, it was about delivering what their target demographic were looking for.

"Can someone get those awful beige blinds replaced? Are we a fashion brand or a dentist's office? I want every one of those atrocious things removed and fire whoever chose to have those put up in my building," a low and gruff voice echoed through the space. "I want those blinds covered in cement and thrown into the Han River."

"Sir," Jeonghan greeted his superior.

Kim Sanghoon was a tall man, he was very much the living embodiment of the term silver fox. His short hair had greyed at the sides but the rest of his charcoal locks were slicked back revealing a severe widow's peak. From his tailored suit to the scent if his cologne, the man screamed money. Though the man had an array of lines adorning his face, Jeonghan could tell he was once a handsome young lad but being the head of a company had aged him prematurely -- anyone would succumb to age if they had the burden on a whole company on their shoulders.

"Jeonghan, my boy," Sanghoon draped an arm around Jeonghan's shoulders and lead him into his office.

Unlike his own work space, the CEO's private space held an authority that made visitors feel nervous without knowing why. The entire back wall was a solid pane of glass that overlooked Seoul while a single black desk occupied the room. The slate grey walls and the leather furniture with their simple straight angles and all too perfect symmetry somehow looked...intimidating. Jeonghan watched the older man pick up the coffee sitting on his desk and took a sip before giving a satisfied look. He sat down on his swivel chair and placed his elbows on his desk before turning his attention to Jeonghan.

"Tell me, how is everything going since I've been gone?" Sanghoon said.

"Stock value has gone up, our winter collection is due to launch after we sell the remaining stock of our fall collection and our venture into footwear is underway," Jeonghan answered. "We're still discussing whether to start with women's or men's footwear but the statistics are pointing toward women's. There's more room for profit if we go in that direction. We've narrowed the list of potential collaborators in terms of design but we haven't come to a final decision as of yet."

"Good," Sanghoon gave Jeonghan a round of applause, the man looked pleased. "You've gotten everything done, as expected."

"Just doing my job, sir," Jeonghan took a seat in one of the two chairs opposite his boss's desk. "You also mentioned needing my help yesterday in your email, may I ask what it is?"

"Ah, yes," Sanghoon sighed. "About that."

"Is it serious?" Jeonghan cocked a brow, he was genuinely curious. His boss never had an issue making demands.

Before Sanghoon could reply the intercom on his desk gave a beep.

"Yes?" Sanghoon pressed down the answer button.

"Your son is here, sir," the woman on the intercom announced.

"Send him in," Sanghoon said before looking over at Jeonghan.

"Your son? Wasn't he supposed to be in the United States for schooling?" Jeonghan shifted in his seat.

"He finally graduated," Sanghoon informed. "It was about time, I was getting sick of waiting. He could've easily finished his masters degree here but he decided to be difficult."

"Can you just let it go? I've finished my schooling, does it really matter which country I get that fancy piece of paper from?" A low voice said from the office entrance.

Jeonghan pivoted in his chair, his eyes immediately met with those of a tall young man dressed in a dark grey suit. The man didn't have a necktie and his dress shirt was ed low enough to reveal a sunkissed collarbone. The man's face was made up of all sharp angles from his jawline to his cheekbones. His unwavering gaze was so much like Sanghoon's.

"You finally decided to show up, not a great start, Kim Mingyu," Sanghoon didn't look all too impressed. "And yes, it does matter where you get your degree from because I paid for it."

"You're hiring pretty boy assistants now?" Mingyu looked over at the brunette who sat opposite his father's desk.

Jeonghan frowned, the man lost all his charm the minute he opened his mouth.

"Allow me to introduce you, this is our company's Chief Operations Officer, Yoon Jeonghan," Sanghoon gave Jeonghan an apologetic look. "He's not my assistant but he is going to be your confidant at this company until you can stand on your own two feet."

"What?" Jeonghan and Mingyu admonished as they looked at the older man.

"Sir," Jeonghan furrowed his brow.

"I know it's a little sudden but I trust in your abilities. I want you to show Mingyu the ropes, get him familiarised with everything. Take him under your wing and give him a helping hand," Sanghoon clasped his hands together on his desk.

"Dad, I graduated with honors. I don't need a babysitter, I know what I'm doing," Mingyu argued.

"In theory," Sanghoon retorted. "You've never worked a day in your life, Kim Mingyu. This is the real deal, not an internship or an exam. Every move you make can either push us forward or pull us back. I don't want to hear any refusals from you."

"Sir, I really don't think I'm the right person for this job," Jeonghan protested.

"Nonsense, you're perfect for it. You know this company inside and out," Sanghoon waved off Jeonghan's protest.

"Sir, I have a lot on my plate right now, I need to handle the winter promotional campaign as well as the new footwear venture," Jeonghan persisted.

"Perfect, let Mingyu join you. It's the perfect way for him to familiarize himself with the whole process and gain some experience,"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter