A Work of Art

Winning Over Mr. Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonwoo was not a morning person, not in the slightest. For him the worst part of waking up was the feeling of dry eyes, it felt like his eyelids had adhered to his eyeballs while he slept. Wonwoo tousled his chestnut locks and slipped out from the covers before fumbling on the nightstand to grab his glasses. He adjusted the wire frames and yawned as he went over to the kitchen to make his morning coffee. He then headed over to Siwoo's bedroom. The four year old slept on his front with a leg sticking out just like his father. Wonwoo bent down and kissed the top of his son's head as he urged the boy to wake up. Siwoo only buried himself lower under the covers.

"Come on, the sooner you wake up the faster you get to see Soonyoung," Wonwoo bribed.

It worked. Siwoo threw off his blanket and headed straight for the bathroom to brush his teeth. Wonwoo leaned against the threshold as he watched his son pull a small stepping stool over to the sink before grabbing his green toothbrush and squeezing out a line of toothpaste. The four year old's pudgy little hands put a tender smile on Wonwoo's usually sharp features. He loved his son but sometimes he felt an overwhelming sense of guilt toward the little boy. His son never had a mother to dote on and pamper him, the kid had learnt how to be independent far too quick. Wonwoo didn't resent the woman who ran out on them, he was just very sad -- she'd missed out on sharing her life with an amazing child like Siwoo.

"Dad," Siwoo tugged at the hem of Wonwoo's shirt.

"Yes?" Wonwoo asked.

"Can I stay home tomorrow?" Siwoo shifted his feet.

"Tomorrow? It's still a weekday tomorrow, bud," Wonwoo said.

"I know," Siwoo nodded. "I just don't want to go."

"Why not?" Wonwoo knelt down so he could be face to face with his son.

"I don't get so see you a lot," Siwoo's little hands fisted at his sides.

. Wonwoo frowned.

"I don't have anyone to watch you if you stay home, bud. I know it but you have to go."

"Can't I just go to work with you?" Siwoo insisted. "I promise I won't cause you any trouble."

"Sorry, bud," Wonwoo shook his head.

The four year old let a small sniffle before he went back to his bedroom. Wonwoo sighed, his son had asked to stay home on multiple occasions for the exact same reason. He knew he needed to do some damage control once the week was over. Wonwoo pushed the unpleasant thoughts to the back if his mind and went to get dressed. He needed to get ready for work and Siwoo needed to get to the daycare.

The drive to the daycare was uncomfortably quiet. Siwoo didn't make a peep the whole drive and that only made Wonwoo feel all the more guilty. Once they reached their destination, Wonwoo got out and unbuckled his son. Siwoo did meet his gaze or react when Wonwoo gave him a peck on the cheek. The four year old simply entered on his own and didn't look back. Wonwoo felt his heart sink as his son huddled into the reading corner and opened a book.

"Did you want me to take that?" A familiar voice caught Wonwoo's attention.

"What?" Wonwoo asked.

"Siwoo's backpack, did you want me to take it?" Kwon Soonyoung smiled politely as he held out his hand.

"Oh right," Wonwoo handed over the small backpack to the new teacher.

"Is everything alright?" Soonyoung commented as he put Siwoo's bag into one of the small cubby holes by the wall.

"I'm just a little concerned for Siwoo," Wonwoo sighed.

"Oh?" Soonyoung came to stand beside Wonwoo.

"He wanted to stay home to spend some time with me," Wonwoo frowned as he continued to stare at the four year old. "I wish I could but I have to work, you know?"

"Can't his mom take him out for a day?" Soonyoung asked.

"He doesn't have one," Wonwoo said.

"Oh," Soonyoung's lips formed an 'o.'

"Yeah," Wonwoo sighed.

"Well now it makes sense as to why I never see your wife coming to pick up Siwoo," Soonyoung looked over at the taller man. "I'll give your son some extra attention."

"You can do that?" Wonwoo looked at Soonyoung.

"Yeah," Soonyoung smiled, his eyes once again turning into small crescents.

"Thank you, Soonyoung," Wonwoo returned the shorter man's smile.

Soonyoung's cheeks flushed and his ears turned red.

"No problem," Soonyoung squeaked.

"I'm counting on you," Wonwoo said over his shoulder as he climbed back into his car.

"Bye...Wonwoo," Soonyoung muttered once the man was out of earshot.

"We are not using real leather, Mingyu," Jeonghan quickened his pace as the taller man followed him down the hall.

"Why the not?!" Mingyu's voice made several heads look up from their computers.

"Keep your voice down and don't you dare curse at me," Jeonghan glared at the younger man as he continued his way across the floor.

"You still haven't answered my question, why can't we use leather?" Mingyu stepped around the brunette and blocked him from getting inside the elevator.

"Have you thought for a second that maybe the cost of genuine leather would be a little too high?" It was Jeonghan's turn to show his anger. "It might not look like a lot of money to you but mass production using genuine leather is like pouring money down the drain. Turning a profit would be impossible with the amount of work that goes into working with real leather. The cost of labour alone would put us over budget."

"So you want us to cut corners and use synthetics?! You're telling me that you're putting quantity over quality?" Mingyu followed the man into the lift.

Jeonghan snapped. He placed a hand on Mingyu's chest and pushed him up against the side of the elevator and fisted the front of Mingyu's shirt in his hand. The brunette grabbed the younger man's face between his thumb and forefinger.

"Stop putting words in my mouth and think about the bigger picture, Kim Mingyu! Did it ever cross your mind that using synthetic leather might be because of ethical issues? Many of our consumer base aren't fond of animal cruelty, cost effectiveness is only a small part of it! We're catering to a younger audience, majority being from the middle class and they're students as well. Do you really think they'll blow over a hundred dollars for one item of clothing?!" Jeonghan stood chest to chest with the taller man, they were so close their noses were almost touching and Mingyu's breath tickled at Jeonghan's upper lip. "We could potentially lose customers because of something minuscule as the materials we use and the cost of our product. You know how sensitive and vocal the online consumer base can be, one wrong move can affect us and we'll have to have our PR department swoop in to fix everything. Losing a customer is very easy compared to gaining one."

Mingyu didn't make a peep, his eyes were glued on Jeonghan's -- this was the closest they'd ever been to each other. The brunette must've felt the sudden change in atmosphere as well as he promptly separated himself from Mingyu just in time as the elevator doors opened.

"Your perspective is too narrow, Kim Mingyu. It's not about what you want, think about the consumer," Jeonghan scolded. "We might be a successful company but we do not have immunity to failure."

Jeonghan his heel and headed back to his office. He closed the door and immediately loosened his tie before collapsing onto the swivel chair behind his desk. Jeonghan closed his eyes and tried to get his heartbeat to slow down, the loud pounding was beating in time with the pulsing of his headache and he was not having it. He was reaching unlocked levels of frustration with the boss's son but at the same time he couldn't deny the way his body reacted when Mingyu was in close proximity. The smell of Mingyu's cologne paired with his dark tapered eyes made it so difficult to focus. Just as he opened his laptop, his phone rang.

"Dokyeom?" Jeonghan answered upon seeing the contact on his screen.

"Hey hyung," Dokyeom's cheerful voice greeted.

"Any reason why you're calling me during work hours?" Jeonghan cocked a brow as he braced his phone between his ear and shoulder as he typed an email.

"Are you free tonight?" Dokyeom asked.

"Tonight?" Jeonghan opened the digital planner on his laptop. "No, I don't have anything on."

"Great!" Dokyeom exclaimed. "My friend Minghao is having an art exhibition tonight and he said I could bring a plus one."

"Minghao? Have I met him before? His name sounds familiar," Jeonghan said.

"He's the one who gave me the painting of the cherry blossom tree that we hung in the living room," Dokyeom reminded his hyung.

"Ah, that Minghao," Jeonghan remembered seeing the slender painter during their housewarming party.

"So you can go, right?" Dokyeom pushed on.

"Sure, just text me the address and time and I'll be there," Jeonghan agreed.

"Awesome, I'll tell Minghao to add your name to the guest list, see you tonight, Jeonghan-hyung!"

"Bye," Jeonghan smiled before he hung up.

Enjoying a relaxing night with his younger brother while attempting to appreciate art sounded nice. A lot nicer than wallowing in despair over the disaster that was his current project with Mingyu. He just needed some time away from the man -- Mingyu was handsome but his mouth was a problem. He was a professional and he intended to keep their relationship as it was, purely professional.

Mingyu felt like . He'd never been very good at putting his thoughts into words but he seemed to be especially rude when it came to Yoon-ing-Jeonghan. Though in his defense the man wasn't exactly the easiest person to get along with. He and Jeonghan were both individuals with strong opinions and neither were willing to relinquish control. Mingyu touched his chest remembering the way Jeonghan's hand had clawed at his chest before pushing him up against the elevator wall. As much as he hated to admit it he'd kind of enjoyed it, Jeonghan was a whole other level of alluring when he was angry. The brunette's heavy-lidded eyes paired with the elegant lines of his face could have had anyone crumbling to the floor and grovelling at his feet -- Mingyu would've easily been one of those people.

Mingyu pulled at the small piece of lint on his black sweater as he climbed out of his car. He'd gotten changed after work and drove twenty minutes across the city to attend his friend's art gallery exhibition. He and Xu Minghao had been roommates their first year of university until Mingyu decided he wanted to study abroad. Though they weren't roommates anymore they still kept in touch. Their friendship was built on a mut

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter