Jumping the Gun

Winning Over Mr. Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mingyu woke up with a blinding headache, a sore throat and a dry mouth yet somehow he still felt...satisfied? He pried open one eye and groaned at the sudden light that assaulted his vision, the sun was not helping his hangover, not one bit. The twenty-five year old pulled himself up into a sitting position and leaned against the headboard as he rubbed at his temples -- everything hurt. He reached over to touch the opposite side of the bed only to find empty space and loose sheets, Mingyu's eyes went from half-closed to wide open. Jeonghan wasn't in the bed.

Mingyu didn't know why he felt so anxious, he just was. He rummaged through the mess of clothing on the floor and found his sweatpants before slipping them on. Mingyu's eyes travelled up and down the room looking for his phone and dialled Jeonghan's number the second he found it. The brunette picked up on the third ring.

"Hello, Yoon Jeonghan speaking," the older man's velvety voice answered.

"Where'd you go?" Mingyu didn't bother with a hello.

"You didn't look like you were in any condition to come to a meeting so I let you sleep," Jeonghan sounded composed.

"You should've woken me up," Mingyu bit his lower lip.

"Well it's too late now so there's really no point in arguing. Go and get some rest, I'll be back later in the evening. Right now I have some personal schedules to attend to," Jeonghan said nonchalantly.

"What personal schedules?" Mingyu didn't like the sound of that.

"That's none of your business," Jeonghan simply said before he hung up.

"None of my business?" How the did Jeonghan have the nerve to say that after what happened between them the previous night?

Instead of letting his annoyance get the better of him, Mingyu opted for getting changed -- he suddenly didn't feel so sleepy anymore. He pulled on a simple crew-neck sweater and a pair of jeans before shrugging on the same coat he'd worn on the plane ride over to Japan. He grabbed the extra hotel key card, his phone and pocketed his wallet on the way out. He was in Japan, might as well enjoy his free time considering he didn't seem to be needed -- Jeonghan didn't really need him for anything except a tumble in the sheets but even then Mingyu didn't know if it was only a one time thing. The twenty-five year old walked out of the hotel with his hands in his pockets and no destinations in mind. He strolled leisurely down the street aimlessly and eyed all the shop windows, everything was small -- the clothing definitely wasn't made for someone of his stature. He was actually a little disappointed, shopping was always his default way of spending his free time but his current predicament had severely impacted his mood. As he passed by the millionth shop on his walk, Mingyu stopped in front of a display window.

Mingyu stared at the store mannequin and chewed on his lower lip. The mannequin sported a silky powder blue dress shirt with small floral details on the cuffs and collar. He suddenly imagined Jeonghan wearing the shirt, just the shirt and nothing else. He mentally kicked himself and started walking away -- but just as quickly he ran back in the direction of the shop. Mingyu left the store five minutes later with a shopping bag and he was three thousand yen poorer. He bought the shirt. .

The young businessman shook his head at his own stupidity and continued on his way. He let his feet do the work until the sound of high pitched giggling caught his attention. Mingyu looked up to see a bunch of women crowded around a shop window with their phones pressed against the glass. Drawn in by curiosity, Mingyu shuffled over and looked inside over the women's heads. It was an animal cafe, one that was specifically for rabbit enthusiasts by the looks of it. He didn't really see the appeal in such an establishment...until he saw a rather smiley Yoon Jeonghan sitting on the floor with a baby rabbit in his hands. Mingyu suddenly loved rabbits. Clearing his throat, Mingyu straightened his back and entered the cafe. He stopped in front of Jeonghan and the brunette looked up at him, the smile he had fell right off his face.

"This was your personal schedule?" Mingyu asked with an smug grin.

"It's a gift to myself considering I managed to get all of the work obligations out of the way on my own, you know, because a certain colleague of mine was passed out cold in bed," Jeonghan said as he went back to focusing on the furry animal in his palms.

"Who was that guy you were talking to all night?" Mingyu suddenly asked.

"A friend," Jeonghan simply answered.

"He was awfully touchy for just a friend, I don't recall ever having a friend put their arm around my waist for that long," Mingyu said.

"Can you please get your nose out of my business and focus on something else?" Jeonghan set the rabbit down. "You're my colleague, not my keeper. Just because you and I spent the night together, doesn't mean you suddenly get a say in who I associate with, especially out of work."

"I was just curious," Mingyu tried to defend himself.

"Don't give me that, we both know that's a lie," Jeonghan rolled his eyes as he exited the cafe.

"Why are you angry?" Mingyu trailed after the brunette.

"I'm not angry," Jeonghan let out a breath as he quickened his pace.

"But-"

"No buts, Mingyu," Jeonghan shook his head.

"Fine," Mingyu said with a defeated tone.

"Let's get back to the hotel, we have more work to do," Jeonghan simply said as he lead the way, a despondent Mingyu followed right after him.

 

Wonwoo paced outside of a grey building with his hands in his coat pockets and his neck buried inside his scarf. He knew it wasn't the smartest thing to do but that didn't stop him from waiting outside the dance studio for a certain teacher in the middle of the evening. Wonwoo's head snapped up when he heard the sound of the heavy metal door of the building open before a large group of people filed out. They were all dressed in loose shirts and baggy pants -- definitely dancers. Wonwoo scanned through the group until he caught sight of Soonyoung's puffy head of black hair. The hamster-looking dance teacher held the door open while his students dispersed and he was covered in a sheen of sweat. Wonwoo waited until everyone was gone before he approached the shorter man. Soonyoung immediately made a run for it into the building the second he saw Wonwoo.

"Soonyoung! Wait!" Wonwoo also broke into a run.

"I don't want to see you right now!" Soonyoung shouted as he scaled the stairs two at a time.

"I just want to talk!" Wonwoo was catching up to the shorter man's pace.

"How the are you so fast?!" Soonyoung complained as he continued to run.

Wonwoo caught Soonyoung by the waist and turned him around. They were both breathing hard. Soonyoung swallowed seeing a sweaty Jeon Wonwoo.

"I have longer legs," Wonwoo simply answered the dancer's previous question.

"Ah," was all Soonyoung's brain power could manage.

"Why'd you run away?" Wonwoo's brows drew together.

"I..." Soonyoung whispered before he looked down at his feet.

"It's the kiss, wasn't it?" Wonwoo frowned.

"Yes," Soonyoung admitted.

"You don't feel that sort of way about me, right?" Wonwoo guessed.

"Wonwoo..." Soonyoung shook his head.

"I guess it was all my imagination," Wonwoo said with a sad smile. "You were probably just being nice, I should've known. Why the hell would you be interested in someone like me? My loneliness is starting to make me desperate."

"Wait," Soonyoung tried to pull Wonwoo back.

"Just forget anything ever happened, I won't bother you again," Wonwoo yanked his arm away. "Sorry about everything."

Soonyoung stood alone in the stairwell as he watched Wonwoo descend back down.

"You've got it all wrong," Soonyoung mumbled.

 

There were a lot of things Mingyu could've been doing, he could've finished emailing their manufacturer or go through the different advertising pitches for the footwear collection but instead he was counting how many tiles were on the kitchen counter in their hotel room. He downed his second Red Bull of the day and threw the can into a plastic bin to his left. He'd tried to focus on work but the brunette pacing back and forth in the living room was very distracting.

"Yes, sir," the brunette nodded as he clamped his phone between his ear and shoulder, his elegant digits spinning a pen skillfully as he spoke to Mingyu's father.

Mingyu flinched when the brunette's eyes bore into his own.

"Mingyu? Yes, he's...fine," Jeonghan said before turning his back to the younger man. "No, he hasn't given me any trouble...yes, I'll have that finished by tonight...understood, sir."

The brunette continued to talk on the phone for a couple of more minutes before returning back to face the younger man.

"So are we in agreement regarding the base design for the footwear collection?" Jeonghan pushed on, he wasn't getting paid to do nothing.

"I think we should reduce the number of products," Mingyu said and immediately earning an annoyed look from Jeonghan.

"Explain," Jeonghan set down his pen.

"It's a new venture, releasing too many things on the first run would be risky considering we don't know if it'll sell. What if we end up having excess stock and no buyers?" Mingyu leaned back in his chair.

"That's why we have an analytics team who provide us with detailed statistics regarding consumer patterns, Kim Mingyu," Jeonghan narrowed his eyes.

"Even so there's still the issue of overproduction, limiting the number of units and selection will let us know what's in demand after it sells out," Mingyu stood his ground. "That'll mean we can tweak products after the first batch and improve."

"The selection is already on a small scale, do you really think cutting down is the smartest thing to be doing?" Jeonghan could feel his temperature rising.

"You're not even going to consider my suggestions, are you?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter