Egoist

Winning Over Mr. Independent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two weeks, it had been two weeks since Jeonghan had fought with Mingyu and in those two weeks the two had only spoken to each other once and it had been about the launch of the footwear collection. Jeonghan had made it a goal to stay professional during work and for the most part no one at the office saw anything amiss. Apparently their lack of communication didn't seem out of the ordinary -- considering Jeonghan spent the first week ignoring the younger man every chance he got.

"So how's life treating you?" Wonwoo's deep voice asked as he fell into step with the brunette.

"I want to jump out the window," Jeonghan replied.

"I'll take that as a not good," Wonwoo patted his friend's shoulder.

"I should've just stayed single," Jeonghan shook his head. "I forgot how exhausting it was to be responsible for another human being."

"Weren't you the one who suggested that I should get myself into a relationship? What happened to you Cupid?" Wonwoo chuckled.

"Love is dead," Jeonghan answered.

"Your love life might just be the most turbulent thing I've ever had to witness."

"I'm sorry, unlike you my boyfriend is a glorified seven year old in constant need of attention," Jeonghan was slightly bitter -- he envied the smooth sailing that was Wonwoo and Soonyoung's relationship.

"I don't understand why you're even complaining, you love spoiling Dokyeom, how is Mingyu being needy even a problem?" Wonwoo cocked a brow.

"Because he's not Dokyeom," Jeonghan sighed.

"I get it, your first priority is your family but think about it in the long-run, Mingyu could possibly end up being part of that family," Wonwoo reasoned. "The guy likes you, we both know that. When we shared the cabin in the snow, Mingyu literally followed you around like a lost puppy. He stood outside the door when you went to go pee."

"That's...gross," Jeonghan didn't know that little titbit.

"Anyway," Wonwoo rolled his eyes. "I just think that you should give him another chance, the kid's whipped and he doesn't know what to do. Just try talking to him and teach him to be a little more obedient."

"He's not a dog!" Jeonghan slapped Wonwoo on the shoulder.

"See? You care about him enough to get angry," Wonwoo clicked his fingers at the brunette.

"I'll see you at the launch party for the footwear collection," Jeonghan turned and headed out of the PR department.

The brunette shook off the despondent look on his face and rearranged his expression. He needed to talk to the organising team for the launch event, he wasn't going to have a repeat of the mess in Japan. Jeonghan entered the boardroom and to his dismay made immediate eye contact with Mingyu. The CEO's son didn't have a necktie on and the first two buttons on his shirt were undone -- he looked exactly like he did when they first met. Jeonghan felt his left eye twitch. He greeted the people seated around the long table and took off his jacket before draping it over the back of his designated chair. Mingyu's dark eyes zeroed in on the brunette's torso, the man had lost weight.

"Jeonghan-shi," Im Nayoung, the head of the event team called.

"Yes?" Jeonghan cocked a brow.

"I received confirmation from the venue staff, all interior decoration has been set up and all booths from our affiliate brands have also been prepared," Nayoung informed. "I just need your confirmation from you regarding our revised guest list."

"Why a revised guest list?" Mingyu's voice interjected. "I thought we'd already confirmed everything."

"We always invite the same people to our launches, some of them don't have the same pull that they used to in terms of promoting our brand. The industry is cruel, one day you're in and the next day you're out. We can't continue giving these influencers free passes to our events if we don't benefit from it in some way," Jeonghan said with a blank expression.

"But some of these people have been to every launch since the brand took off, that's a little disrespectful to just not include them because they can't bring in new customers," Mingyu argued.

"Sometimes you have to burn some bridges to be successful," Jeonghan retorted.

"That little quote seems to apply to both your work and your personal life," Mingyu scoffed.

Jeonghan clenched his jaw.

"You should try and adopt it," Jeonghan countered. "Maybe then your dad won't be so disappointed all the time."

Jeonghan knew it was a low blow but he was equally as hurt by Mingyu's comment. An eye for an eye.

"Send off the invitations for the revised guest list, we're using the same caterers as every other launch and make sure to hire some entertainment," Jeonghan briefly ended the meeting -- if you could even call it that -- and exited the room.

The COO looked down at his wristwatch and came to an immediate decision, he wanted to go home. His last bit of patience had left his body. He was stressed, the footwear collection was due to launch by the end of the week and he was just recently given the task of overseeing the opening of five new store locations in Japan. He didn't have time to think about anything else. He was slowly being crushed under all the pressure.

"Jeonghan-hyung!" Mingyu shouted as the older man unlocked his car.

"Whatever it is just save it for another day, Mingyu," Jeonghan said with zero emotion. "I'm not in the mood to argue."

"Why are you still angry? I know what I did was wrong but you can't possibly hold this much of a grudge against me," Mingyu's face was contorted into a cross between sad and hurt. "Let's go out for dinner, my treat."

"Mingyu, not now," Jeonghan touched his temples, his migraine was pulsating. "I have a lot of my plate and I don't need you complicating things."

"Not now? If not now then when?" Mingyu's tone was beginning to morph into anger. "I thought we'd already put this behind us, why are you suddenly reverting back to your old ways?!"

"That was before you decided to make that underhanded comment just now!" Jeonghan shot the younger man a resentful look.

"My underhanded comment? You didn't exactly hold back your words either, Yoon Jeonghan!"

"Fine, we both made underhanded comments! We're just as ty as each other! Now that's out of the way, I'm leaving," Jeonghan unlocked the door to his car.

"It's been two ing weeks and not once have you answered my calls, I've tried to apologise! I've tried to work things out with you but you won't even spare

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter