CHAPTER 5: Of Sweet Names and Reasons

A Mistaken Identity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye unpacked her things and quickly changed for work. She was wearing a black pencil skirt that falls right on her knees. She paired it with a floral blush quarter sleeve polo with black stiletto shoes. Upon opening the door she remembered that the door across her room was Sung Jae’s so she knocked on the door and entered it.

There she saw Sung Jae busily preparing for school He was dressed neatly in his school uniform when she called his name. The boy quickly looked to her direction and beamed happily.

“Omma!” He said.

“Sung Jae-ah, are you ready?” She asked.

“Just a little bit. I would need to wear my socks first and tie my shoes.”

“Let me do it for you.” She said.

Little do they know that they had an audience looking at them by the door. He seems to have acquired the habit of stealth and stealing conversations from other people.

As Min Ho saw that they were almost done, he announced his presence “are you both ready now?”

Shin Hye looked at the door and saw Min Ho waiting for them. She stood up and took Sung Jae’s hand and walked together with him at the dining room.

The conversation at the table was a little awkward. Min Ho was being quiet while Sung Jae on the other hand did not seem to enjoy the food. So Shin Hye asked Sung Jae if he would like to eat something else.

“Omma, can you make pancakes for me some time? My classmates says they also eat American breakfast. Do you know how to make one?”

Shin Hye smiled. “Let us make a deal then. If you are going to eat your breakfast today heartily, I’ll make sure to make pancakes for you tomorrow.”

“Deal!” The young boy grinned. He ate with his heart’s content given an assurance of pancake the day after.

After breakfast. They all went to the front yard to prepare for their day. Shin Hye does not know where Sung Jae studies to she ask where it was. She also asked where he works. She made a mental note calculating the distance to each destination from the house to her work, to Sung Jae’s school and Min Ho’s work.

She thought that if Min Ho would still be dropping her to work after dropping Sung Jae that would be out of his way and cause time. So she said while inside the car “Min Ho-ssi after we drop off Sung Jae at his school, I will also go down and will just take a bus. It would be out of your way if you would still drive me.”

“Omma, why do you call appa ‘Min Ho-ssi’?” Sung Jae asked while stooping from playing his game.

Shin Hye stopped abruptly and gave Min Ho a look. He on the other hand was concentrating on his driving and did not reply.

“Mianhe Sung Jae-ah. Omma got used to work talking to people formally. I would have to change that when I am at home.” She lied.

“Arasso omma. When it is just us you can talked to appa informally. You usually call him sweet names before. It would be easy for you.”

Shin Hye blushed and did not know what to say so she just looked straight to the road. She went out on dates before, but she was not used to calling them pet names or anything like that. She would have to acquire that habit now until her situation is over.

They arrived at Sung Jae’s school and Shin Hye quickly went down from the car to take Sung Jae to his room. After doing so she went back to the gate and saw that Min Ho was still there waiting. She approached him.

“Why are you still here? You will be late for work. Didn’t I tell you that I will just take the bus?”

“Get In.” He commanded.

Shi Hye knew that this was no time to argue. She was getting late for work and he was not in a good mood.

The drive to her workplace was quiet. She did not want to disturb the peace that seems to be very fragile at the moment. As the car pulls to a stop at the front of Seoul University, she quickly pushed the door open, but it did not budge. She looked at the doors and it was on child lock. So she looked at the driver and said “can you open the door please.”

Min Ho looked at her sternly trying to control his temper. He did not like the fact that she is overly independent and passed on his offer to drive her to school.

“What time does your work end?” He asked.

“You don’t have to pick me up. I can go home by myself.”

Min Ho knew that she was stubborn, yet he does not want give up on this conversation even if he knew that there is a great chance she will cancel their agr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter