CHAPTER 6: Testing the Waters

A Mistaken Identity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a lazy Saturday. Shin Hye does not have work but Min Ho had to go to the office as he needs some files to review and sign. It was then that Shin Hye realized that he does not even know what Min Ho does for a living. Well, it must be something really good for him to afford this house and live a luxurious life.

But even so, he does not see him has someone who is overly extravagant. He seems to know the value of time and money and this is what she admires the most of him.

Shin Hye walked over to the other room to look for Sung Jae. He was alone in his bed playing with some Legos when he came in.

“Sung Jae-ah. What are you doing?”

“Omma, im playing with Legos.”

“Can omma play with you?”

“Deh. Omma, can you make a helicopter for me?” He innocently asked.

“Of course. Omma knows how to do that.” Shin Hye quickly picked up the blocks and started assembling. It took her a couple of minutes before she presented the item to the little boy.

“Tada!”

“Daebak! Omma, when did you learn to make this? Before, all you want us to do is gardening and girly stuff but now you know how to make a helicopter.” He said.

“I learned it just for you.” It then dawned on her that she did not really know who Sung Jae’s mother is. How she was with him. What are her hobbies and what she likes and does not like. But Shin Hye already made a decision not to know further because she is not a replacement. Sooner or later she will be leaving this house and she needs to be emotionally and mentally prepared when that happens. She needs to keep her distance and not be attached so the lesser she knows the better.

“Omma, gwenchana?” Sung Jae asked while she spaced out. “Omma will you be going with me to see Doctor Jung?”

Shin Hye was still lost in thoughts and ask who the doctor is.

“Ah, you have not met him before. Doctor Jung is my psychologist. Do you remember the day at the mall? We met with him before we went to the mall.”

“Ah, deh. I remember. What time will you meet Doctor Jung?” She asked.

“later at 1PM.” Shin Hye looked at the clock and it is already 10 AM. So she ushered Sung Jae to take a bath and prepare so that they can have lunch before going to see the doctor. She called Min Ho and told him that she will be bringing Sung Jae to see Doctor Jung and he said that he will meet them there.

----------------------------------------------

Shin Hye and Sung Jae arrived a couple of minutes before 1 o clock. Min Ho was already waiting for them in lobby as he came in early to talk to Doctor Jung about the current situation they are having with. Doctor Jung promised to help Min Ho break the news to Sung Jae that Shin Hye is not his mother and gave suggestion on how they can convince him of the truth.

Doctor Jung ushered Sung Jae inside his office leaving Shin Hye and Min Ho together. He asked if she already ate to which she replied that she did together with Sung Jae. He then suggested that they go to a nearby café to have coffee.

As they were queuing on the line the barista then asked for their order to which they both answered “iced americano.” Both looked at each other and giggled happily knowing that somehow they have found something similar.

As they were happily sipping on their drinks, Min Ho started the conversation to ease the silence “I have talked to the doctor about you and how Sung Jae thinks you are her mother.”

Shin Hye looked at him quizzically “What does Doctor Jung say?”

“He said Sung Jae is just emotionally shocked when he saw someone who looks like his mom. During that day Doctor Jung and Sung Jae were talking about his mother and it seems like the conversation between them stayed with him.”

“What does Doctor Jung suggest then?” She asked.

“He said to bring Sung Jae to the columbarium and bring you along so that he can see that you and her mother is not one and the same.” He answered but there was something about him that did not sit well about the suggestion.

“You are not comfortable with the suggestion though.” Shin Hye commented.

Min Ho looked at Shin Hye astonished. How can she know what he was thinking? Does it show on his face?

“Yes, it shows on your face. You’re so easy to read.” She answered again.

Min Ho’s eyes widened. She just read her mind. He was shooked. This girl is getting more and more interesting as the minute goes by.

“You are correct. I am not comfortable with the suggestion. Well, not right now but eventually. I think Sung Jae is still emotionally unstable right now and needs time to comprehend.” He said.

Shin Hye sipped again on her iced americano before saying “I’m with you on this one. I think you are right. Sung Jae is still in the process of understanding the whole situation. I know in his little mind he is still trying to weight in the reality and his truth.”

It was the first time that both Min Ho and Shin Hye agreed with something. Min Ho anticipated that Shin Hye would retaliate and say that she does not agree with him, but it was a welcome surprise that she is on his side. Today seemed like a good day for their relationship, if ever there was and he was willing to extend his luck later.

-------------------------------------------

The doctor’s appointment went well. Doctor Jung said Sung Jae was responsive to therapy, but he was wary because it could be because of Shin Hye. He asked both Shin Hye and Min Ho to slowly talked to Sung Jae so that unconsciously he will come to terms with the truth.

It has been a habit of Min Ho and Sung Jae to drop by the mall after every therapy. It was their bonding time and a way to relieve the stress from the whole week of work and school. But for Shin Hye weekends means just being at home. She rarely goes to the mall, only when she needs to resupply some cosmetics and other valuable items.

So joining Min Ho and Sung Jae to the mall was fairly new for her. When she is at the mall, she rarely stays for long. Often times she just buys what she needs to and goes home. Strolling around was not common for her specially if she is sure that she has nothing to important to buy.

The two boys happily skipped to the mall while Shin Hye trailed behind them. They all stopped to look inside the shop. While the boys where busy looking at Legos and robots, Shin Hye excused herself to go to the washroom.

When she returned she saw that both men were already holding bags coming from the toy shop.

“So you are done buying toys?” She asked.

“Deh omma.” The kid answered.

“Sung Jae-ah, you already have a lot of toys at home. What will you do with the other toys that you are not playing anymore?” She inquired.

“Hhhmm…Give them away. Appa usually brings me to a house with lots of kids every year where we give them toys and foods and clothes.” The little boy answered nonchalantly.

Shin Hye was surprised with Sung Jae’s answer. She never knew this side of the Lee family.

“That’s good to know. So are you done shopping?”

“Ani. Omma, we have to go somewhere else to buy something.” Sung Jae beamed happily.

“Araso. Lead the way and I will follow.”

Sung Jae quickly held Shin Hye’s hands and led her while winking at his father.

As they were walking along the mall, Sung Jae stopped at a boutique. He looked at Shin Hye and pulled her inside. Shin Hye was confused as to why the little boy brought her inside a clothing shop. They sat down at one of the chairs.

“Omma, If I choose some clothes for you will you wear it?” He innocently asked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter