jaemin

Walk You Home | Nomin

090418


He barely had hold of the hanging strap when the bus driver decided to drive the bus. This caused Jaemin to move forward. He grabbed onto the closest item, trying his best not to fall, which sadly didn't work. The soft material he had leached onto moved with him and when he opened his eyes, he was met with a foreign pair of eyes. Trying his best to grasp a hold on the current situation, he accidentally ended up having a minor staring contest with the other male.

Realizing the awkward position, they both were in, the other boy was quick to get up, but Jaemin's grip remained on the boy's shirt, not making it possible for the boy to get up any further. When Jaemin noticed this, he let go without a second thought and quickly stood up himself, turning around to face the boy.

"I'm sorry" he apologized and made a small bow, a laugh escaping his lips as he bowed.

He didn't mean to laugh but had a tendency to do so when he was feeling guilty. This had caused him immense trouble before and he has since tried his best to avoid doing it, which didn't really work now.

"It's okay, no worries" the boy answered back.

Jaemin looked up and looked at the boy. He was smiling at Jaemin, but what caught Jaemin's eyes the most was the boy's eye smile. They reminded him of crescent moons, which fascinated him. How could someone's eyes form that shape?

Jaemin gave the boy a small smile and then turned around before the boy could notice the rose color forming on Jaemin's cheeks.

He had never been captivated by anyone like that before.

Those eyes.

A few minutes went by. He wasn't sure how long it had been, maybe around fifteen minutes? All he knew was that when he turned back around, the boy was gone. For some reason, he felt a pinch of sadness. But he got curious, who was this boy?

--

Another ten minutes passed and Jaemin had reached his stop.

It was 17:00 and time for his part-time job. The place where he worked at wasn't anything extravagant or fancy, a small family-owned supermarket at the corner of the street where his house was placed at too. The family who owned the supermarket were close family friends to Jaemin. The pair had a son around his age, which meant that they became pretty good friends after being forced to see each other every time their families had a joint dinner. Which happened quite often throughout the years.

"I'm here for my shift" Jaemin greeted Mrs. Lee with a warm smile and went to the backroom to drop off his stuff and change his shirt. He closed the door behind him but didn't feel the need lock it, since there was usually nobody else but Mrs. Lee and him in the shop.

To his surprise, the door opened whilst he was in the middle of changing shirts. With half of the school's uniform on the floor, Jaemin had a casual white t-shirt folded on his arms, getting ready to be put over his currently bare torso. He turned his head and was met by a wide-eyed Donghyuck eyeing him up and down.

"Not bad" the other male whistled.

Embarrassed by the sudden affection given by his dear friend, he pushed him away and shouted a clear "no" before slamming the door after him.

I swear to god, if he does this again he'll get more than a small push.

Jaemin put the t-shirt on, packed his uniform into his school bag and went outside, only to be met by the eyes of the earlier onlooker. He was not having it. Donghyuck just stood there, smiling at Jaemin.

What are you waiting for?

"What do you want?" Jaemin's voice was monotone.

         "I have a shift I need to begin"

"No, you don't" Donghyuck's smile changed. This time he looked less erted and more innocent.

"Yes, I do. So please move"

But he stood still and kept on blocking the way, making Jaemin unable to pass through.

"What do you want?" This time he sounded harsher, emphasizing on the word you.

"I have a surprise for you" it seemed like his smile was never-ending. It didn't seem like it would leave his face anytime soon.

              "I already told mom to cancel your shift today, so you don't have anything to worry about. Just follow me" Donghyuck grabbed a hold onto Jaemin's wrist and dragged him out of the supermarket.

He was wondering why Mrs. Lee didn't tell him about this situation when he first walked inside. What was this surprise Donghyuck was talking about?

What has he done now?

He sighed, still being dragged to god knows where by the older boy, also known as his good old friend, Lee Donghyuck.

--

"Dude, it's been forever. Where are we going?" Jaemin was getting annoyed again.

"We're almost there, be patient" Donghyuck kept a firm grip on Jaemin's wrist, still dragging him along.

            "Now look"

Jaemin glanced at his friend's face, he looked happy and was that a hint of proudness in his eyes? He turned to the same direction Donghyuck was facing at. In front of both of them was a small field with a huge tree placed in the middle of it. He looked a bit up and noticed wood panels in the middle of the tree, hanging from one of the panels was a ladder made from rope and thick wooden sticks. The platform looked just stable enough to hold both boys without collapsing.

"Did you make this?" he asked. He knew that Donghyuck had a short leave from school due to health issues, and it wouldn't surprise him if his friend had built the fundaments to a treehouse instead of resting.

"Yes. I was bored today so I took a small stroll and found this place" the excitement in Donghyuck's voice was clear.

         "It was whispering my name, begging me to use it in some way or another"

                      "So, I built this" he straightened his arm and proudly presented his creation to Jaemin.

"Not bad my friend, not bad at all" to be honest, Jaemin liked it. He walked over to the ladder and tugged on it to make sure that it was safe to use. He gave a quick glance at his friend and nodded his head for the other boy to come over and follow his action, which he did.

Now sitting on the small platform created a few hours ago, they looked at the view. The area behind the tree was nearly empty, a few bushes here and there, a couple hundred of meters away was the nearest building. The sun was setting, and the moon was rising. The moon was crescent, which reminded Jaemin of a particular boy.

"Why are you smiling?"

          "Was my idea really that good?" Donghyuck chuckled.

                       "I'm a genius, I already told you"

"If you say so" Jaemin continued smiling, looking back and forth at the rising moon and his best friend.

They stayed on the platform for a little while, enjoying each other's presence and having a casual talk. The temperature was falling, and the sky had turned dark blue exposing all the small glowing stars.

"We should probably go" suggested Donghyuck, now slightly shivering.

"It's beginning to get a bit cold, don't you think?"

But Jaemin didn't answer. He was too busy observing the stars, looking at the different constellations.

"We gotta go now. It's getting late and I'm freezing" Donghyuck whined and started pushing Jaemin softly. Being careful not to push too hard. Jaemin woke up from his trance and gave Donghyuck a small nod. Carefully following him down from the tree.

They walked back to the supermarket, both boys shivering from the drop in temperature.

"We should've brought our jackets with us" the younger complained.

"Next time" Donghyuck looked at Jaemin and gave him a hopeful smile.

He really likes that place.

            "Let's go back again soon"

They both smiled at each other before heading inside to the warmth of the supermarket. The lights were blinding, making Jaemin having to blink continuously to get his eyes used to the sudden light.

"Jaemin, honey. We are almost closing but could you do me a favor and go pick up two boxes of chocolate soy milk?" Mrs. Lee looked at Jaemin and asked.

                "The ones which contain 25 smaller packages"

Jaemin nodded and decided that it would be a good idea to go grab his coat before heading out once again. He said his byes and waved at Donghyuck and his mom before exiting the building and heading to the bus stop. He was lucky as the bus had arrived at the same time as him. As he went inside, he noticed something. Rather, he noticed someone. It was him from before. The one with the eyes. Was this excitement he was feeling? He looked over at the boy and noticed his eyes moving quickly, now focusing on, the seat? Jaemin walked over and decided to sit two rows in front of the boy. He didn't want to seem too obvious. He was still curious.

Having his focus on his phone, he got a minor shock when the boy ran over to the bus driver. The bus was as good as empty, so everything could be heard.

"Is it possible to stop the bus? You drove by my stop, sir"

That voice.

The bus stopped, and the boy jumped out. Jaemin only took his eyes away from the bus door when it began to drive again.

--

"Here you go" he handed the boxes to Mrs. Lee, in which she thanked him and told him that he could go back home and rest. Jaemin thanked her and headed back home.

Once he walked inside his house, the smell of soy sauce roamed inside the building. He walked into the kitchen to see a bowl of rice as well as a plate of stir-fried vegetables placed on the table, ready for the male to devour. And so, he did.

After dinner, he took care of the dishes and headed to the bathroom to wash his face before heading over to his room.

They must be sleeping by now.

He dropped his body on the bed, enjoying the warmth and softness of the pillows and blankets. Slowly closing his eyes, he proceeded to fall into a deep sleep.