Paper Airplane (YujuxUmji)

Gfriend Oneshots

This is inspired by Umji's scene in the Time For The Moon Night teaser

She looked around her. A few people jogged, exercised. Some just walked. She looked at the sea and found kids playing at the sand, the others swimming. She continued to walk, finally finding their spot. She carefully climbing the, what looks like a big metal container, until she reached the top. She settled down and closed her eyes. The wind breeze blew past her. Fallen leaves from the trees lifelessly swayed in sync with the wind. She looked at horizon, as the sun set down, producing different hues of orange, pink, and red, all combined together.

"Yewon-ah, look." The excited red-haired girl exclaimed, holding out a paper airplane. Umji looked at her, her eyes bright. "What's that?" She curiously asked, inching forward and hugging the taller girl. Yuju looked at her, her eyes filled with excitement. "It's a paper airplane." Yuju said, showing to her best friend the folded paper. "Let's write our wishes here and let it fly away." Yuju added, giving Umji another piece of paper. She immediately wrote the things she couldn't say out loud, her wishes and her dreams, while looking at the older girl, admiring her side profile.

After they wrote their own wishes, they went to the beach. "Let's send the airplanes away, here." Yuju decided, Umji just looked at her and nodded feebly. They did a countdown before sending the paper airplanes away. And for the whole afternoon, they sat on the sand, watching how the paper airplane went with the wind, away from them. "What if it doesn't come back?" Umji asked, facing Yuju, who has her eyes closed. "It will, I promise." Yuju said, her voice firm yet gentle.

She sat there and basked under the afternoon sun. She tightly gripped the paper in her hand. The more she stared at it, the more it gets crumpled. Droplets of water from her eyes started to drop down the paper. She wiped them away.

"Hi Yewon-ah, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't be there, I'm sorry I couldn't be a better best friend to you. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I couldn't tell you because I can't stand you crying, you know I hate when you cry. Those eyes of yours losing their usual brightness and instead becoming red and swollen, I hate that. I can't do that to you.  I'll hate myself even more for making you cry.

They say that when you remember a special someone, just look at the brightest star, because it would most likely describe that person, right? But if you think about me, I want you to remember me as the smallest and dimmest star in the sky, that even in the darkest nights, it would try its best to be seen.

Thank you, for the memories, the smiles, the tears, the laughter, the sadness, the up and the downs. Thank you for everything. I just hope that whenever you read this, it would bring a smile to your face, not tears. I hope it would bring warmth in your heart, not coldness. I hope...I hope it would bring everything that I couldn't give to you, not everything I made you go through. And more so, I hope that this would bring the love I couldn't portray and confess to you when everything else was better."

One last peek, she took the crumpled paper and turned it into an airplane. She looked at the sky again, smiling. She found the dimmest star. One final smile, she released everything in her, and freed the airplane, letting it fly with the wind.