Chapter 14

Starry, Starry Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

’DING DONG! DING DONG!

“Hello, Jiwon-oppa.” Eunji greeted when Jiwon opened the door.

“Come in.” Jiwon invited her.

“You want anything to drink?” He asked, making his way to kitchen.

“Coke would do, if you have.” She replied.

“Okay.”

Shortly after Jiwon joined her at living room. They sat quietly on couch, wondering who should start asking or explaining first.

After few minute of silence, Jiwon started talking.

“How are you?” He asked.

Eunji looked at him, surprised at his question. She was sure that Jiwon would explode and scream to her the moment she entered his house.

“I’m good. Just fine.” She gazed at the coke in her hands. Playing with the can tab.

“When did you arrive here?”

“Last Saturday.”

“Where are you staying now?”

“Hotel. The Westin.”

“The Westin?” He raised his eyebrows. It is one of the 5 stars hotel at Seoul and it is quite costly to stay there eventhough they could afford it.

“Later, you go back to hotel and check-out. Just stay here until we settle our problems and back to Hawaii.” He ordered.

“Is it okay for me to stay here?” She asked quietly.

He looked at her and sighed.

“You’re still my sister regardless of what you have done.” He said slowly and continued.

“So, did you meet him?” He asked softly.

“Erm…I did.” She replied.

“How is he?”

“Good, I guessed.”

“Pretty, right? My lover.” He smiled weakly.

“Indeed he is. I was shocked the moment I met him. I don’t think I ever meet a guy prettier than a girl.” She said, recalling back the meeting with Sunghoon.

“How did you know?”

“About both of you?” She asked and continued after seeing Jiwon nodding his head.

“Remember the cocktail party we attended before? All of us.”

“Erm…”

“Remember how I asked what you and Jiyong oppa talked about?”

“Yes. But I remembered we didn’t mention anything to you.”

“Yes. But after that I accidently heard your conversation on phone with someone. I didn’t plan to eavesdrop your call but when I suddenly heard you called the person on the phone Darling, it piqued my curiosity.” She stopped and looked at Jiwon.

When Jiwon did not say anything, she continued.

“I stayed until you ended your call. Then it came to me about your conversation with Jiyong oppa. You must be telling him about this. It just that I don’t understand why you want to keep it secret from me.”

“You should know why I didn’t tell you.” He said slowly.

“Maybe. Fine, I understand why you kept it secret from me, but mom and dad too?” Her voice raised.

Jiwon ruffled his hair, his face seemed a little trouble but still, he managed to stay calm, understood why his sister acted the way she acted.

“This time is different, Eunji-ah.” He said, looking at her.

“You should tell us if it is different and if you are serious.” She gave him an icy glare.

“But honestly I don’t see what’s so different from before, only the gender is different. They might still be a devil behind that angelic mask they are wearing.”

 “They are all double-faced. Pretended to be our friends just to backstab us.” She gritted her teeth.

“Not everyone is same, Eunji-ah. You shouldn’t generalize people like that.”

“You’re always easy to trust people, Oppa. And you still are.” She sounded upset.

“It’s all in the past, Eunji-ah. You should forget it, all of us.”

“Past? Forget?” She raised her voice again, along with her body.

“You may forget it, but I will never forget that year. Do you know how did it feel watching you suffered and tormented because of that wicked people? Do you know how many night we stayed up just to ensure you never did any stupid things? Do you know how mom cried until she passed out? Do you know how dad refused to eat until you ate? Do you know that? I’m the one who watched them all. ME! ME, Oppa. ME!”

“Because of that evil people. Our family almost lost you. You were breathing but you were not alive. You’re no longer the son, brother, friend that we once knew. You changed. You became quiet and cold. You distanced yourselves from people, from your family. Do you know how did it feel, Oppa?” Her voice lower down and she sat back on the couch, crying.

“I hate them. I hate them so much. Damn hate them. And I damn hate you because you brought this trouble. Mom and dad were always worry about you. Jiyong oppa was not around because of his study. I was alone in that big house. I was only 18. 18 years old, Oppa. And I was in my final year of high school. I need to focus on my study for my college entrance examination. I was so frustrated and stressful. Do you know that I almost failed my college entrance examination because I fall sick that I couldn’t even walk to exam hall?”

“Do you know who help me back then? Our maid and driver. Not you, not mom, not dad. Because everyone was so occupied with you. That they forgot they have me. Their daughter. And do you know I was hospitalized right after the exam? No, because again no one care.” She pulled her knees up and sobbed, unable to control her pain and sadness.

Jiwon stayed silent watching his sister weeping and sobbing. He began to feel incredibly guilty and he blamed himself for being too stupid and foolish that it affected the one and only sister he had. He never thought of the effect she might face or the consequences from that.

“I’m sorry, Eunji-ah. I never know that.” He said quietly. “I’m sorry. Truly am sorry.”

After her slightly calm down, she continued.

“When you suddenly said you want to go Korea to stay with our grandparents, I was kind of relief. I hate myself for hating you. Maybe if you are far from me, I will slowly try to accept it.”

“I know it wasn’t entirely your fault, Oppa. But that time it felt right to point everything to you. I blamed you for everything. It was easy for me to put the blame on you. “

“I was glad when Jiyong oppa graduated and started working with dad so that he can be near to our family. I felt alive again. He became my source of energy and support. He tried his best to be there for me so that I won’t feel alone and left out. He also help me learnt how to forgive you, mom and dad. Saying that we never ask for this. This was a test from God to our family because God loves us.”

“He said that you are all love me and you never intended to neglect me. I’m still the family’s daughter and baby sister.”

Jiwon smiled widely and pulled her into his embraced.

“Jiyong hyung is right. You are forever our one and only baby. We love you. We always do. I love you. Not once crossed my mind and heart that I’ll hurt you deeply. I’m sorry, Eunji.” He kissed her head.

“I’m sorry too, Oppa. I love you too.” She hugged him back.

“And I’m sorry too for coming here and confronted him. But I still don’t believe him. Not until I’m convinced he’s the one for you and he didn’t has any hidden motive to be with you.” She said and released her hug.

Her words made him smiled.

“I love him, Eunji-ah. And he loves me too. I can guarantee you, he didn’t has any hidden motive.” Jiwon reassured her.

She scoffed hearing his words.

“But before that, I need to find him and you have to help me cleared this mess you created.”

“Why should I?” She pouted.

“Eunji-ah. Please. For your oppa happiness. You want to see me happy, right?” He pleaded.

“You better be. Else I’m going to drag you back to Hawaii right now right here.” She grumped.

“So, you’re agree?”

“Do I have a choice?”

“Nope.” He laughed and hugged her again just to be pushed by her.

“So, do you know where he is now?” She asked.

“I don’t know.” He sighed.

“How come you don’t know? You are his lover, right?” She sneered.

“Who was the one that caused him to hide in the first place?” He shoot back.

Eunji just shrugged her shoulders. Pretending not to understand Jiwon’s questioned.

Her reaction earned her a gentle knocked on her head.

“Don’t play dumb.” His words made her laughed.

Jiwon reached out for his phone to call someone.

“By the way, you better call home and Jiyong hyung too. He is worried about you.”

“Okay.”

He then walked to his balcony and started dialing.

The receiver picked the call up after second rings.

“Hello.”

“Hello, Jaeduck-ah.” Jiwon greeted.

“Hello, Jiwon-ah. It’s been a while.” Jaeduck greeted back.

“It’s been a while. How are you?”

“As usual. Busy with work. You?”

“Not good.” Jiwon sighed.

Jaeduck sighed.

“I know why you called me, but I can’t help you, Jiwon-ah.”

“He’s not there?” He asked.

“No. After the meeting with your fiancée last week, he’s been missing.”

“Fiancée?” He gritted his teeth. Glared to the person inside.

“No wonder he ran off.” He spoke to himself. Jiwon sighed.

“Did he contact any of you?”

“No, we have been trying to contact him for more than a week, but his phone has been turned off.”

“Why didn’t any of you call me earlier?” Jiwon sighed regretted.

“Are you trying to blame us, Jiwon-ah?” Jaeduck asked, his eyebrows furrowed.

“No. No. No. Don’t misunderstanding, Jaeduck-ah. I’m not trying to blame anyone for this. Besides, if anyone to blame, it should be me, myself. I’m the reason why this happened in the first place.” Jiwon denied it.

“It’s okay, Jiwon-ah. The blame is also on us. We didn’t think to contact you after he’s gone missing.”

“Any ideas where he might be?” Jiwon sounded worried.

“We already tried to find him at his usual hang out place but he never been there. And knowing Sunghoon, he was not the type to hang out a lot. I believe you also knew, he’s more to homey person.”

“But I believe he didn’t came back home either?”

“No. We checked his house from time to time and there’s no sign of him coming home.” Jaeduck sighed.

“By the way Jiwon-ah, since you called. I just want to know the truth. Is it true that you’re engaged and that lady is your fiancée?”

Jaeduck’s questioned made him sighed heavily. 

“No. It was a misunderstanding. I never engaged and never had a fiancée.” Jiwon explained.

“Then, why suddenly a lady came and confessed that she is your fiancée?”

“I will explain it further but only after I explain it to Sunghoon first. I want him to listen it from me. I’m sorry, Jaeduck-ah.”

“It’s okay. As long as it wasn’t true, then it should be fine. You may explain it later to us.”

“I will. Right now, I just want to find him.”

“Yeah. We all do. And Jiwon-ah, don’t hurt him again. He might seems tough from outside, but him, uri Hoonie is a softie.” Jaeduck advised.

“I know. That’s why I’m desperate to find him. It worries me knowing what he might do.” Jiwon troubled.

“Let’s hope for the best and never lose hope. I believed he will contact us once he calm down and ready.”

“Please contact me soones

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter