A beautiful yet painful scar

Love is like a rose, beautiful yet painful

Midoriya was getting ready for his usual jog, when he discovered something strange about himself. He felt a slight pain in his throat. Ignoring the pain and assuming it may be a cold he kept on his usual jog.

He arrived to school only finding himself staring at Todoroki. ‘Todoroki kun has some bed hair today.’ Midoriya thought to himself with a big grin. Through out the day he could not focus on what Aizawa sensei was teaching them. Whenever he tried to focus, his eyes would unconsciously glance to the back of the classroom staring at Todoroki’s face. Suddenly Midoriya noticed that his throat was getting more and more sore and was also finding it harder and harder to breathe. Midoriya rustled into his bag to get a cold pill hoping it will make him feel better.

Midoriya went back home feeling even worse. There was a tugging pain in his chest. He was starting to breathe really heavily. He suddenly felt a leafy, bitter taste in his mouth. He quickly ran to the toilet and coughed up a red and white carnation. Midoriya staring their shocked at what just came out of his mouth. Midoriya was not aware of what weird sickness he had. He was still kneeling over the toilet verifying to himself that it was really a flower. Midoriya returned to his room, sitting on his chair thinking what could be happening to him. Midoriya couldn’t sit there doing nothing and went online trying to research the strange sickness he had. He looked through many websites, but couldn’t find any results.

Midoriya heard footsteps down stairs. “I’m home!” A familiar voice echoed through out the house. It was his mum.

“W-wel -Welcome back mum.” Midoriya said as he stumbled on his words.

“Izuku, what’s wrong? ” Inko asked noticing the weird tone in her sons voice.

“No-Nothing, I was just wondering why you came home so late.” Midoriya replied anxiously.

“Oh! You won’t believe it! Mr Takahito (her boss) made me work overtime because he went drinking!” Inko said in a frustrated voice.

“Oh, well that’s too bad.” Midoriya said relief his mum wasn’t suspicious.

“Well I better start cooking dinner, it’s getting late.” Inko said realising the time.

“Ok, thanks mum.” Midoriya replied heading off to his room.

Midoriya sat back down on his chair and stared at his laptop. He then notices a website about diseases that are not common and may not be real. As Midoriya scrolled down, he found the word “Hanahaki disease”.

“Hanahaki disease is when the victim coughs up blood and flowers. It is caused by when the victim is facing one sided love. In some cases, the victim’s loved one may love the other but has not acknowledge their love for the other, causing the disease, or the victim believes he/she is not loved. Flowers start to grow in the victim’s lungs. The Victim will feel pain in his/her chest specifically the lungs and the throat. If not cured the victim will die. To cure this disease, the victim’s beloved must returns their feelings (strong friendship does not count/work) or to undergo surgery to remove it. However once they undergo surgery, their feelings for their love one will fade along with the flowers.”

Midoriya sat there shocked by what he read. Midoriya was trying to process the sudden information he had just received. Flashbacks of the flower red and white flower he saw not long ago filled his head. Midoriya instantly knew who was causing him to have this disease. Cold tears began streaming down his face as he faces the truth that Todoroki did not return his feelings. The flowers symbolised his unrequited, one-sided love. It was painful. He could feel a stinging pain in his chest.

Midoriya decided not to tell his mum. For he would worry her and she may make him remove it. Midoriya chose not to undergo the surgery, he does not want to loose this feeling he has for Todoroki. But Midoriya does not know whether he should confess or not. ‘Will it change anything?’, ‘What if I burden Todoroki? Making him feel guilty?’. These thoughts keep on running in Midoriya’s head. “I don’t know anymore…”