Part 8

The First Love Stories

On Sunday, at Daniel’s house, Nuri is hanging out with Daniel as usual. 

 

“So, why I didn’t see you with Park Sua at lunch yesterday?” she asked while cleaning up the mess they made with all the Jajangmyeon sauce on the floor.

 

“Because she was sitting at the drama geeks table, what can I do?” Daniel replied, not looking at her. 

 

He was busy trying to feed his cat the leftover Jajangmyeon. But, the cat annoyed by him and left, so he walks over to her.

 

“You could go and join them!” she said.

 

“I’m way too cool for their likings,” he said with a smirk and then, threw himself onto the couch in front of the playstation.

 

“Whatever~ coward...” she was disappointed.

 

He pretended he never heard. “What would Sua be doing right now?” He said mostly to himself while gazing over at Park Sua’s house out from his window.

 

“Unlike us, probably studying.” she guessed. “Why don’t you message her?”

 

“I could?” he looked at her in excitement.

 

“Why not? You guys are partners anyway.” 

 

“Oh ya! So, u must be messaging Hwang Minhyun all the time, right?”

 

“No no. It’s the opposite.” She replied.

 

“Wow! Hwang Minhyun message you?”

 

“You can say that..” she’s smiling, “but, it was just to tell me read this, read that, do this do that. You know, mostly related to assignment.”

 

“But, you must be happy. I envy you really.” he said with a pout on his face.

 

“Take action then!!” as she said, a new message vibrates on her phone. “Ohh!! Speaking of the devil..”, she opens the message to see.

 

“What what? Is it from him? What he says?” Daniel being nosy.

 

“Same as usual. Ordering me to read some articles. Links provided!” she rolled her eyes. “Okay.. I gotta go then, gotta go read them up. My prince’s order.”

 

“Well, have fun reading!!” Daniel shouted as she picks up her bag and leaves.

 

On her way out, she was messaging back to Minhyun.

 

“Ok! I’ll read up.”

 

“What are you doing?” he texted.

 

“Nothing special. Just out for lunch. Why?” she regretted as soon as she sent out the text. ! I shouldn’t have asked why.

 

“Just afraid I might be disturbing you or something..” Minhyun replied.

 

“No no.. I’m free... actually bored since nothing to do..” she doesn’t want him to feel unwanted.

 

“Ah I see.. then, I hope now you’re not bored anymore..”

 

“Haha yea... got your links!”

 

“Let me know if you have trouble understanding or anything..” he texted.

 

“Ok! Got it!” she texted back with a smile on her face. Of course, she is very happy. This means she is welcomed to chat with him anytime.

 

 

One morning, Nuri was listening to some music from her earphones on the way to school when Minhyun tapped on her shoulder. She turned to see Minhyun then quickly removed her earphones. 

 

“Hey, morning!” she greeted with a very surprised face.

 

“Why are you all alone today?” Minhyun asked. They are now walking side by side.

 

“Ah, Daniel is so-called-sick today. Haha!” she replied with a laugh.

 

“I see. It’s actually such a great weather to sleep in though.” He looked up to the gray sky early in the morning.

 

“Yeah I know right!! It took all my courage to drag myself to school.” Nuri, unknowingly, starting to talk casually to Minhyun now.

 

“You could always take a nap during the break time.” He encouraged her.

 

“No choice. That’s the only way.” she whined.

 

They were talking about weather and she continued to complain about the lack of sleep. Without even realizing, they were walking into the classroom together. 

 

He told her not to fall asleep during the class right before he go sit at his place, left corner of the first row. She just laughed it off and sat down at her place, third row from the last.

 

She was still gazing at him from behind with the visible traces of happiness on her face when the class started. What a wonderful day! she thought.

 

 

During the lunch time, Nuri was eating alone since Daniel is not here. Half way through her meal, she saw a tray was being put down in front of her. She looked up to see the person with full of spaghetti.

 

“I can sit here right?” Minhyun asked. She couldn’t open to reply, so she just nodded repeatedly.

 

She tried to swallow the food as fast as possible to ask him why is he here, but then she realized it’s not a good question.

 

“Did you fall asleep?” he spoke again.

 

“Huh?” 

 

“During the history period..”

 

“Ah... yeah... just couldn’t help it..” she saw him smiling at her answer.

 

“By the way, about the articles last weekend, I haven’t finished reading yet. Cuz I end up watching some dramas. Sorry...” she said apologetically.

 

“Don’t worry about it. The deadline is still far away.” 

 

She was relieved that he’s cool about it. Then, they ended up talking about dramas and she was surprised to know that Hwang Minhyun likes watching dramas too.

 

On their way out from the canteen, Nuri stopped at the vending machine. Minhyun waited right behind her, planning to go back to the classroom together.

 

She bought a box of grapefruit juice and hand it to Minhyun.

 

“Here, a drink I owe you.” she said quite shyly.

 

“...”

 

“Remember? From that Saturday, when we study at the library.” she reminded Minhyun who is now looking a bit blank.

 

“Oh right... but you didn’t have to...” he took the juice box from her. Now, her face is visibly red.

 

“Ok! I gotta go take a nap or something. See ya!” she ran out. Damn my heart!

 

He was standing still with the juice box holding in his hand and looking at her running away from him. Then a faded smile appeared on his face.

 

In their classroom, Nuri was facing down on her desk, trying to sleep but failed. Her stupid heart was still pounding and she was still embarrassed at buying her crush a drink.

 

5 minuets before the class started, Minhyun entered the classroom. He glanced at Nuri place and saw her sleeping with her face down on her desk. At least that’s what he thought. 

 

She lifted her head only when the teacher came in. At the sight of the grapefruit juice box on the desk of Minhyun, she felt her heart is getting inflated with joy. As she keeping an eye on it, she was overwhelmed with happiness to witness Minhyun drinking that grapefruit juice which she bought for him.

 

She was smiling like a fool that whole afternoon and the following evening .

 

...

 

..

 

.

 

~ to be continued ~