Part 9

The First Love Stories

It was raining that day.

 

It had been two weeks since Minhyun and Nuri had their 1st meeting for the Chemistry assignment. The follow up 2nd meeting is still haven’t arranged. Both of them are busy with other subjects and homework.

 

Minhyun is standing under the shelter in front of the school’s main building when Nuri sees him. The rain was still heavy.

 

“Forgot your umbrella?” she asked, pulling back Minhyun from his far away thoughts. 

 

“Oh… yeah… are you going back?” he asked back.

 

“In a while, yes…” she replied as she pulled out an umbrella from her bag. Then, she handed it to Minhyun. “Take it.”

 

“How about you?” he asked before he reached out for it.

 

“I got another,” she said while pulling out another umbrella from her bag, which is apparently producing umbrellas.

 

“ha! How come?” he left out a short laugh at the sight of another umbrella coming out of her bag.

 

“hehe~ I forgot my umbrella at school last week, so I brought another one. Just nice, today I’m bringing back both.” she replied.

 

“ah~ I see. Then, I’ll be borrowing yours for today.” he said, holding her umbrella.

 

“Sure,” she said with a smile, “and don’t catch the cold.” 

 

“Don’t worry, I don’t easily get sick.” he said without looking at her while opening the umbrella.

 

“Yea, I know.” she said and regretted it as soon as the words slipped out of her lips.

 

He turned to look at her in surprised.

 

“Oh I mean, you rarely absent from the class. It’s obvious when a class president is absent. Am I Right?” she quickly responded.

 

“Yea…“ he agreed hesitantly, “you’re right.” But, still looking at her and wondering what she really meant by that.

 

“Hey, you should go back quickly! Before the rain gets heavier.” she changed the topic.

 

“Okay.. Are you not going back yet?” he asked.

 

“I’m waiting for Daniel, he didn’t bring his umbrella, too.” she replied.

 

He suddenly gets what it means. It means they’re going to share an umbrella. And it surprisingly shocked him.

 

“What?” he low-pitch shouted.

 

“…”

 

“I mean, in that case you can take back this umbrella. I can wait until the rain stop.” the words came out quickly.

 

“Ahh no no it’s okay! Daniel and I can share this umbrella.”

 

YEAH I KNOW!! That’s why! He shouted inside his own head. 

 

He was still standing there, looking at her, not knowing what to respond back. He couldn’t think of anyway to prevent this (Daniel and Nuri sharing an umbrella in this heavy rain) from happening. 

 

For her, it’s very normal. Because she and Daniel was used to sharing one umbrella since they were little kids.

 

“Go go! Don’t worry about us. We can make it.” She said, smiling and gesturing him to go.

 

He got no choice but to step out into the rain, holding her umbrella over his head. But the thought of Nuri and Daniel sharing one umbrella was still bothering him somehow.

 

 

The next day, Minhyun planned to give back her umbrella during the 2nd period, which is at the Chemistry lab. They also need to present their assignment progress to their teacher.

 

5 minuets before the class starts, Minhyun looked around the lab, he couldn’t find Nuri, not even her belongings. He spotted Daniel beside Park Sua. They are going thru their notes together. 

 

Yeah, if Nuri was to be here, she would have to be sitting beside Minhyun too. 

 

But, where is she now?

 

Park Sua walked to the back of the lab, where the equipment stand is. It’s also near to Minhyun’s table. He stopped her when she passed by him.

 

“Park Sua, have you seen Kim Nuri?” he asked.

 

“Ah.. before I came here, I saw her at the lockers... why? She’s your partner for this lab, right?” she replied.

 

“Yes and she is running late.” he’s looking worried now. But, Sua couldn’t tell whether he is worried about his grades or worried for the sake of his missing partner.

 

“I see.”

 

“Have you seen her going anywhere after that?” he asked for more information.

 

“No, because I left first. She was talking to some girls at that time. That was a bit intense, I’d say.” she recalled.

 

“Who were they?” he asked.

 

“I’m not sure, all I know is that they’re not from our class.” 

 

That’s right. Park Sua wouldn’t know. She doesn’t care to remember or notice people outside of her circle.

 

“Ok. Got it. Thank you!”

 

He kinda have an idea about who those girls could be. He stood up.

 

“Where’re you going? The class’s about to start.” Sua asked in confusion.

 

“Can you cover for me during the attendance taking? No, cover for both of us, me and Kim Nuri. Ok? Thanks!!”

 

“Huh?” before Sua could complain, Minhyun was already out of her sight.

 

He rushed to the hallway where the lockers are located. Nobody’s there. 

 

He walked up the stairs right around the corner which leads to the rooftop. He searched but not a single soul there as well.

 

Minhyun stopped looking and went down the stairs. May be she is already in the classroom, he thought. 

 

But, on his way back to the classroom, he heard voices coming out of the girls toilet. He nearly walked in as soon as he heard Nuri’s low pitched screaming. But stopped as soon as he realized that it’s girls toilet.

 

He waited outside, indecisive of what to do. He can hear noises, it’s like a fight has broken out. After struggling in his head for awhile, Actually it’s not my business, he thought and turned to walk away. That’s when Nuri came out.

 

She was shocked and taken aback at the sight of Minhyun standing in front of girls toilet. 

 

“What are you doing?” She stopped in front of him and asked.

 

“Huh? I heard voices as I walked passed. That’s why.” He replied.

 

“I see.” 

 

Oh my god!! So he heard my screams?! she is now feeling so embarrassed.

 

“Are you okay?” Minhyun asked, looking at her messy hair.

 

She realized her condition and tried to even out her hair.

 

“Well, if you think this is bad, you should see those girls inside.” she said in somewhat proud tone while still patting her own head to flatten out the messy hair.

 

Unknowingly, Minhyun’s hand reach out over her head and helped unwired some of her spiking hair. 

 

She stopped. It’s like a still picture. Looking up at Minhyun and she freezed. No thoughts at all on her mind.

 

Realizing her reaction, he stopped too. Looking back at her and he too freezed.

 

What the hell did I do?!

 

...

 

..

 

.

 

~ to be continued ~