Part 2

The First Love Stories

 

One day, at school cafeteria, Nuri sat down at her usual table and started having her meal. A few minutes later, Daniel joined her.

 

“Why so late?” Nuri asked with full of meatballs.

 

“Ah, I was held up at gym. By the way, I got some big news.”

 

“Is it?! Shoot!”

 

“You know I told you about the house in front of mine being on sale?” he asked.

 

She noded while busy eating.

 

“Okay, yesterday new people moved in. Guess who?” he said with excitement.

 

“Umm... Park Hyung Sik?”, that’s her favorite actor.

 

“You wish!! No, it’s not”

 

“Okay~ then who?”

 

“It’s Sua!!”

 

“What!!!” she shouted.

 

“Hey, voice down!”

 

“Oh sorry! Seriously?!” she asked in disbelief.

 

“Yes, seriously.” he replied.

 

“Wow~ so, principal Park is your neighbor now. Daebak!”

 

“Well, it’s not principle Park that I’m excited about.” he smiled.

 

“Yeah ofcuz not. Hey why you only tell me now?”

 

“I called you last night, but couldn’t reach you. Was your battery dead or something?”

 

“Ahh that must be it. Ok ok. Then, you’re forgiven.”

 

Daniel rolled his eyes and started eating. 

 

After she finished her lunch, she saw Minhyun coming in. Now, she can enjoy looking at him, having his lunch gracefully, from a far. That is one of the reasons why she always comes to cafeteria as soon as the bell rings and eats as fast as she can before Minhyun comes. 

 

Another reason is that she doesn’t want Minhyun to see the way she eats. Because according to Daniel, she eats like a kid with food bits scattering around on the tray and couldn’t help but always eating mouth full. Although she knows that Minhyun wouldn’t even bother to take a glance at her, she does so just in case to be safe.

 

Little did she know that she was wrong about Minhyun not looking at her way. Actually, he does, but not so obvious as her. He only look at her when she is not looking and that’s why he never got caught.

 

He noticed her way before she did. He had been watching her throughout the middle school years, but it was just because he got no friends and he wanted a cheerful and fun friend like her. He was always envious of Daniel, who he knows is her closest friend.

 

He stopped watching her frequently when they got into the same high school. But, every now and then, he checks her out, just to know what she’s been up to and also just out of habit. He is still just as curious as before about her, who she’s with or what she’s doing. If he ever saw her feeling down, he wants to know what’s bothering her.

 

The other day, when he saw her so early in the morning, without having to think too much, he knew that she was there early for Daniel’s birthday. This shows how much he had been paying attention to her over the years without even realizing himself.

 

Now that he finished his meal, he got up to go. Nuri quickly retracted her eyes on him and started talking with Daniel. That’s why when he turned to take a look at her, he saw her talking and laughing with Daniel. He took off to take a nap at his usual hideout place.

 

Daniel and Nuri also left a little later. They are heading to the school basketball court. Since Nuri got no other friends to hang out with, she is just going to tag along with Daniel for his individual basketball practice.

 

“Does that mean I should stop coming over to your house?” she asked while playing with Daniel’s basketball in her hands.

 

“Why?” 

 

“Wouldn’t you be bothered if Sua ever sees me going into your house?”

 

“Ahh! No, that’s okay. Everybody knows you’re my best bud.” he replied.

 

“Ok! If you say so. Then, I’ll be coming over this Sunday!” she said, throwing the ball back to him.

 

“Only if you bring Aunty’s home cooked meals.” he said it with a playful wink.

 

“Sure, will bring you the leftovers. Hahahaha”

 

Nuri always goes play at Daniel house over the weekend since they were kids. And Daniel always comes over to Nuri’s house during the week. They would study together or play video games.

 

Daniel is born into a rich family. His mom is running a company in America and his dad is running a different company in Korea. Both companies are inherited from each side of the family. 

 

He is currently living with his dad. His dad is mostly busy with his business, so he always got lonely. That’s why he often visits Nuri’s family since Nuri’s mom and Daniel’s mom were childhood best friends too.