Part 4

The First Love Stories

~ Ting! ~

 

A notification sounds from Minhyun’s handphone which he put on his table while he was going through his study notes. He took a peek and eyes widened at the name he saw.

 

“Nuri_Kim95 favorited your photo”

 

He quickly opened his SNS app to see what picture she liked and it was the photo he uploaded 3 months ago. But he noticed that her favorite react was gone from the list. He wondered why.

 

May be she just accidentally pressed, he thought and let it go.

 

——

 

The next day at school, Nuri was really nervous to go inside the classroom because Minhyun was already there and she was feeling embarrassed to face him for yesterday incident. She used the back door in order to avoid Minhyun who sits at the very front row on the left corner. It’s such a convenient that her seat is 2nd row from the back.

 

She quietly entered, making no sound at all. She looked for Daniel but couldn’t find him.

 

He must be having breakfast down at the cafeteria, she thought.

 

Once she nearly reached her seat a voice called out her name.

 

“Kim Nuri!”

 

“Oh crap!!” she muttered and look up to see who was calling. It was Park Sua and she was walking towards her.

 

At the sound of Nori’s name, Minhyun turned to look. He saw her looking quite uncomfortable. She glanced at Minhyun’s direction to check whether he heard it and saw him looking back at her. They met eyes. She became flushed and quickly looked away. Her heart was still pounding so fast.

 

“Here, I give you back your notes that Daniel passed to me yesterday” Sua said.

 

“Oh~ Okay!” Nuri replied.

 

“I couldn’t understand some of the notes cuz of the handwriting but thanks anyway.” again she said in a judgy tone.

 

“Umm… okay…” Nuri was a bit annoyed, but then, she is used to being criticized for her confusing handwriting. “You can let me know which part you couldn’t get.”

 

Sua finding the page that she wants to clarify with Nuri when Nuri was putting down her bag on her seat. Then, Nuri started explaining. Aside from giving judgy looks and saying judgy words, Nuri knows that Park Sua is a decent and honest girl, unlike most of her classmates, who she thinks were pretentious.

 

——

 

At P.E period, the whole class was in the football field. Nuri was sitting on the bench drinking water and resting after her turn passing the ball in the field. She was watching Minhyun playing soccer. She knows that he is not good at any sports, so no comments on his soccer skills. Just sitting and watch him putting in all his efforts was more than satisfying for her.

 

A little later, Daniel joined her. He snatched her water bottle and took a long sip.

 

“I got depressing news...” he said after he sat down.

 

“What happened?”

 

“You know Win Win? The Japanese exchange student.”

 

“Yeah why?!”

 

“I think Sua has a crush on him...” he said looking quite sad.

 

“Ohh really? How come?”

 

“Well, I don’t know for sure but I caught her looking at him quite a few times...”

 

“May be that doesn’t mean anything...” she consoled him.

 

“I don’t know... what do you think of him?” he asked for her opinion.

 

“For me, I don’t find him hot or anything. He’s just cute. May be becuz he’s not my type, so I’m not attracted to him.” she replied.

 

“May be he’s Sua’s type...”

 

“Hey, you don’t know that! Don’t be so down.” she pats him on his shoulder. “Even if she likes him, so what?! They’re not a couple. You still got a chance.”

 

“Well, I guess... but...”

 

“No but!! You gotta make her notice you!!! And let your feelings be known!! Go after her!! That’s what youth is all about.” she said enthusiastically.

 

“Hahaha!! How can you be so optimistic?!”

 

“Because I believe in sincere heart, and I know how sincere your heart is.”

 

“Woah okay... too cheesy...” he said it with a shrinking expression, “I gotta get back to the game.”

 

“Okay!! Fighting, Kang Daniel!! You can do it!!” she shouted.

 

He ran off towards the field laughing.

 

Minhyun had been watching them since their coach gave them a break and Daniel ran off to Nuri. He couldn’t guess what they were talking about but he noticed that Daniel went to her with a black face and yet came back all smiles. Made him curious as what ability does Kim Nuri have to be able to always cheer up Kang Daniel.

 

As he was thinking, he kept looking at Nuri without realizing. Since Daniel is gone, Nuri looked for Minhyun and there she found him staring at her. As they met eyes, this time he was the first to turn away. She’s kinda happy that they met eyes again and yet, worried at the same time.

 

Is he looking at me becuz I was too loud? she thought.

 

Then her mind went back to the things Daniel said about Park Sua crushing on Win Win. She searched for Sua in the crowd of female students on the field. Couldn’t find her. Then, finally she saw her on the bench at the opposite side of the field from where she was sitting, and with a book in her hands.

 

What!! Nuri thought, Is this the time to be studying?! Oh man, I can never understand you people!

 

She realized Sua got the good view of Win Win, who is also playing soccer with the other guys, and yet, she’s not paying any attention to him.

 

If Sua really got a crush on WinWin, wouldn’t she be watching him play now? Nuri thought, Instead of reading her book.

 

But then, she knows that she can’t really tell a person’s heart and feelings solely based on their behaviors.