Past Tense not Present Tense

Give us one More Chance

I loved you with every single ounce of me and now with every single ounce of me I wish I hadn’t. - hck


Joshua scoffed, smacking Max on the shoulder. “You mean welcome to hell. Wedding planning? Real estate? Meeting your in-laws at one point? Having to deal with matchmaking attempts?” Rolling his eyes, Joshua held the back of his hand to his forehead, like a fainting damsel, “I feel faint just thinking about it.” 

Laughing, Max pulled Joshua along. “Don’t be so dramatic bro. It won’t be that bad.” He gave Joshua a sheepish smile. “Sorry for making you come.” 

Joshua sighed, “It’s all right. I know it’s a big thing and you can’t exactly do it alone. I’d be an for not helping you as much as I could since I’m here. We’ll get through this.” 

“Thanks Josh. I’ll try to keep the matchmaking harpies award from you. But some people are definitely hungry for a son in law. You’re their ideal too. It’s gonna be hard.” He grinned at Joshua, causing him to shudder. 

Joshua knew it well. It was the same back home. Grandmas who had single granddaughters. Aunts who had nieces. God. Joshua knew it all. He sometimes wondered what they would do if he said he liked guys a bit more than girls. Would they offer nephews and grandsons to him also? 

Not that it was true. Joshua didn’t have a preference. And the one and only guy he liked got married to a woman and left him behind. God. He was really tired of thinking of Yoon Jeonghan. him and the heartache he made Joshua feel. Bastard.


Jeonghan sneezed. 

“You ok there boss?” 

Jeonghan waved his subordinate off. “Yea. Probably just a random sneeze.”

Someone giggled. “You sure it’s not someone thinking of you chief? You’re quite handsome.”

Silently, Jeonghan reminded himself to watch her actions. He didn’t need any unwanted flirting or any crushes happening here. Jeonghan was going to be busy. He was trying to get Joshua back. He grinned, “Maybe my son is thinking about me.” Young women didn’t always like the idea of a man who had children. They didn’t want extra baggage. 

“The team is having a dinner tonight. Are you coming sir?”

“No,” Jeonghan answered. “I forgot to tell you guys. You can take the company card for the dinner. I’ll be busy.” 

“Wooo! Company card.”

“Don’t go crazy with it,” Jeonghan warned them. “Or next time there won’t be a company card to use. Got it?”

“Of course chief.” 

Jeonghan scoffed, turning his mind to better things. Like how he’d get Joshua to forgive him for what he’d done.


Sipping on the cappuccino, Joshua stared down at the list. He put down his drink. “Well, how much have you two done.” 

“Get pulled around by her what her family thinks we should do,” he said, trailing off. “But we have sent out invitations and chosen the venue and booked it,” perking up like a puppy.

Joshua groaned. “So not much. That’s ok. I get it. You can’t really pull it’s our decision since you’re still not married to her yet. And since you’re young they probably bulldozed you two.” Picking up his fork, he speared the cake, taking a huge hunk out of it. He shoved it into his mouth, chewing slowly. Swallowing, he said, “Did you two look at the wedding attire yet?”

Max nodded. “We tried but they kept butting in and she got frustrated. Cried when we got back to my apartment. We haven’t tried again.”

“Got it,” Joshua said, eyeing the cake again. ing overbearing families. “Well that’s important and I’m sure she’ll want that squared away as soon as possible. Since you two are renting it’ll be easy thank god. Let’s set up an appointment for you two. I’ll be there to smooth everything over and act as a mediator. I want to say leave the in-laws at home but they’ll be mad. So tell her to narrow it down as much as possible.” 

His cousin saluted before opening his phone to text his fiance. Joshua set his eyes back on the cake. It was tasty. Taking another chunk, his attention went back to the list. 

Tapping it, his finger went down each and every little thing. There was a lot to plan and get done before the wedding at the end of the month. Joshua had his work cut out for him. 

“And then look up where you two want your wedding photo shoot to happen. That kind of stuff takes a whole day. That’s something you two can do alone so no one can in there. Talk it over with her and book a place and then do it. Choose a photo you two want to display at the wedding.” He took out a pen, ticking it off the list. 

“The house hunting will be done in secret. You two can’t tell her parents or your friends who might spill. It’ll be you two and me,” Joshua said. “I got a friend who runs a business who can squeeze us in quickly. Hopefully.” 

He looked up from the list. “Why haven’t you two set the flowers yet? Or the cake?” 

With a pained look, Max grimaced. “Her mom. Her aunt. She wanted to include her mom, because you know, mother daughter thing. But it didn’t work out like she thought it would. Her mom was...outspoken and they fought. This whole thing is just a headache. We’d elope but she knows it’ll make me enemy number one and she wants a wedding. Just without her family making the decisions.” 

“A lot of this will have to be done in secret then,” Joshua sighed. “It’s like some illicit affair.” He leaned back into his chair. “I’m not a wedding planner. I’m not married and don’t know anyone who’s done this before. I do however have friends who should be able to point us in the right directions. And I have access to the card that’s going to be paying for a number of things.” 

“My parents gave you a card?” 

Joshua laughed. “Like hell. They just transferred the money to me. They trust you but at the same time would rather make sure someone with more life experience settles things. Your parents' words not mine.”

Nodding, Max sipped his Americano. “Very like them. Letting me be independent but at the same time worrying and not quite letting go.”

“Better than other parents,” Joshua pointed out. His mom wasn’t an extreme asian tiger mom but she had her moments. And his dad. Issues for another time when Joshua’s life wasn’t so chaotic. “In any case we’ve got a lot of things to do. But I’m tired from the flight. Where am I sleeping? Your couch? Please tell me it's big enough. Or I’m getting a hotel room.”   

Max looked sheepish once again.


“Your place isn’t livable?” Joshua said it slowly, like it would just be a dream and not his reality. “You told your parents that it was fine for me to couch crash while I was here for you and now you’re telling me you lied?”

“No, no. It wasn’t a lie! My place was fine when they called and it was fine until about two days ago…” Max explained, tapering off.

“And you didn’t tell anyone?” Joshua was about to break something. This was too much. 

“You were on the plane already,” he said. “I didn’t want to start your arrival with bad news.” 

“,” Joshua moaned softly into his hands. “I’ll need to look for a place to sleep tonight at the very least. .”

“We found a place for you. It was last minute but we managed to book a place for a week at the least,” Max said hurriedly. 

“Start off with the good news Max,” Joshua groaned. “Man. That almost ended me.” He took a look at his phone. “I’m going to be late if i don’t leave now. Can you take my stuff to the airbnb? Text me the info and hopefully I’ll manage to find it and get in later. I need to go meet up with some old friends.”

“Can you find your way? It’s been a hot minute since you’ve lived here.”

Joshua reached out and smacked Max on his head. “You give me a heart attack and then attack me for being out of touch. Someone’s being uppity. I know where this place is. If not I’ll call one of my friends. I can take care of myself.” He smirked. “I’m here to take care you, not the other way around.” Getting up, Joshua pointed at him. “Get my stuff to the airbnb. I’ll see you tomorrow with your fiance. We’ve got lots to go over.”


Joshua looked down at his phone, then up once again. He spoke too soon. Did the restaurant move? He could’ve sworn it was right here in this alleyway. Whatever. Time to call someone to get him. Who was always on time? He wasn’t going to call someone who wasn’t even here. They’d be of no help. Scrolling down the contacts, Joshua was about to tap on a name only to get interrupted. 

“Shua, is that you?”