Safe

What To Do Now?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chin's head ached.  

Caught between the blissful numbness of sleep and the heavy burden of waking up, she refused to open her eyes, sighing in relief as the warmth that enveloped her didn't dissipate. She was inside a cocoon of comforting heat—she wasn't ready to give that up yet. Maybe never.  

A wall of warmth on her back. Warm legs against hers. Warm breath on her neck. Warm arms wrapped around her torso. Warm hands resting on her waist. It reminded her of better days, and she felt safe in the lingering dream.  

It had been too long since she last felt safe.  

She could smell something familiar—but she couldn't quite place it with her hazy mind. It was woodsy and musky, combined with the freshness of lavender. She knew that smell. She shifted closer to the familiarity of it.  

If only she could stay in this repose forever. Chin knew she was about to wake up, and the thought made her whimper in protest. Not yet.  

Her warmth tightened its hold around her, and she could feel lips on her hair.  

"Sssh," she felt the murmur more than heard it. Chin curled herself closer as a nose nuzzled her nape.  

She knew that smell. "Namjoon-ah," she whispered, eyes heavy in her half-conscious state. Her Namjoon.  

"Sleep," he hummed on her skin, fingers splaying wider against her stomach.  

Chin sighed again, and let slumber take over once more.  

 

--------- 

 

Namjoon stared at her sleeping form, fighting the urge to stay.  

He'd been pitifully ignorant about how bad the situation with Sung Jae was, and he could only thank the universe for him witnessing the encounter only a few hours ago. He could feel the anger returning.  

He untucked the comforter from the opposite side of the bed and gently folded it over Chin. For a split second, he wished it was him keeping her warm. He squeezed his eyes shut against the memory of her body against his and how it warmed his very soul as much as he hoped it did hers.  

Namjoon's heart thrummed faster. Did he cross a line, doing what he did? He supposed he just got caught up in the moment, wanting to protect Chin, wanting to keep her safe, but not knowing what else to do but physically convey the message? He couldn't help but feel as if he'd taken advantage of the situation.  

Guilt woke his exhausted nerves. He picked up his shoes and quietly slipped out of the bedroom, glancing briefly at the wall clock in the living area: 3:45 am. 

Rubbing his tired eyes, he realized belatedly that the front door was still open, their bags still were strewn outside in the hallway. He should've come back to lock up. He shook his head at his own carelessness. It was the dead of the night, and Chin only had a couple of neighbors in the same floor, but someone could have come in and taken her things. Sung Jae could have returned.  

Namjoon let out a hiss. The er. He suspected he was too much of a coward to harass Chin again so soon. But still...  

He peered over his shoulder. He hated to leave her, but they have an early schedule at 6 am and the others would be getting ready by now. Sighing, he strode to the door and picked up their things.  

The books he'd bought her peeked out from his leather mailman bag. He'd completely forgotten about them in the midst of last night's chaos.  

He carefully placed them on the coffee table. 

 

------------------- 

Jin wrapped his wool scarf around his neck, scowling at his puffy eyes and swollen cheeks in the mirror. He hadn't had a minute of sleep—last night's incident was etched angrily across his mind, and his hilariously pitiful role in helping Chin and protecting her was made apparent. 

He had no role at all.  

Namjoon was yet to return from Chin's place, and he wondered if something else happened after they left. No, RM would have called or texted them if he needed help. No news was good news, right? 

"Hyung," Jimin complained sleepily, hooking his arms on the straps of his backpack. "Jungkook

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter