Afraid

Was this stranger really my lover!?

It was a lovely night, I was walking hand in hand with the man I just had a really nice dinner with at one of the best places around, the man I’ve been going out with for five years, the man my mom and all of my friends insisted me to give him a chance and I couldn’t say I regretted it at all.

 

Park Bogum, he’s such a gentleman, he treats me well and gives me the best, but our relationship wasn’t always sweet and nice, just like any other couple we had our discussions but they were usually for the most stupid reasons. For some reason I still felt some emptiness but without any idea on what I lack of.

 

We stopped by one of the lonely streets, it was beautiful, just the streetlights and trees, since we walked for quite a while he asked me to sit on one of the benches. I noticed he was a little bit nervous since he took a deep breath.

 

I also started to feel that way when I saw him kneeling right in front of me and took a small box from his coat.

 

“Irene Bae Joohyun, will you marry me?” I knew this proposal would come sooner or later, I never really thought about it deeply, I didn’t even know if it wanted to compromise myself, it wasn’t that I didn’t like Bogum, I just thought I wasn’t ready.

 

The ring was shiny and beautiful, it seemed like he actually put tons of effort on it, when I was younger I didn’t really want anything fancy for my marriage proposal, I knew the way he just did was simple, but we had a really nice and romantic date before it.

 

For some reason I always wanted the person who would propose to me to do it just casual, nothing planned, in a moment in which they would think, I want to be with you for the rest of my life, but it was so unlikely to happen.

 

“So… what do you say Irene? We are already living together, have a job and we’ve known each other for almost eight years and we’ve been going out for five, don’t you think it’s time?”

 

He was there nervous waiting for my answer, I still had no idea what to say, maybe I was just scared of being compromised, I thought a deep breath, he was right, it’s time and I wouldn’t let my fears to hold me back.

 

I looked at him and I smiled sweetly, he was slightly shaking I held his hands in order to calm him down a little.

 

“Yes, I will”

 

Bogum smiled brightly and took the ring from the box and slided it through my finger, it indeed looked beautiful but it was a little bit big, he took my hand where he put the ring and kissed it, then he hugged me and I hugged him back.

“I guess I got it the wrong size, I’ll change it, it must feet, but thank you Irene, you just made me the happiest man alive, I won’t let you down, I’ll make sure you’ll be happy”

 

It made me feel better, I would be lying if I didn’t feel happy right now, maybe this was what I needed, maybe I’ll finally feel complete. I stepped closer to him and we both shared a sweet kiss before heading back home.

 

He was so excited to let everyone know about our engagement, he even wanted to throw a party to celebrate it.

 

When we reached home we went straight to bed to get some sleep, I pulled the covers over me and Bogum came after he was done brushing his teeth, I was falling asleep when I felt him place a small kiss on my cheek and turned the lights off.

 


I started to feel strange, I opened my eyes just to be greeted with a horrible scene, there were dozens of dead bodies around me, everything was destroyed, the bodies were soldiers and civilians, I was in the middle of a war, a bloody fight just happened in this place, I felt weak, I had nothing to defend myself.

 

I had wounds all over me and my clothes were slightly torn. I was so scared, I never felt this scared before, i slowly started to walk as I was crying from the scene, I wanted to scream for help but something was holding me back from doing it.

 

As I walked I saw someone moving towards me, it was a soldier, he was holding his rifle, something inside me was telling me he was an enemy and that he lost his mind, he just didn’t care anymore about who he killed and he was just going to kill me.

 

The man stopped and pointed his rifle at me, he was trying to aim, he was shaking and laughing like a maniac, tears kept flowing from my eyes.


“P-please, d-don’t do it” I managed to say but it was impossible for him to hear it, and even if he did he wouldn’t have cared.

 

He was about to pull the trigger when I heard another soldier running towards me.

 

“Don’t!” the soldier cried, the man pulled the trigger, I closed my eyes but instead of feeling the impact of the bullet I felt a body pushing me to the ground.

 

I heard the person groan, where have I seen this person before, he just took the bullet for me, it hit him on his arm.

 

“You bastard!” the soldier quickly took out their rifle, ignoring the pain from the bullet he just received, and shot the insane man and killed him, I was in shock.

“I’m glad I arrived just in time, I don’t know what would I’ve done if they did something to you” I felt a hand on my cheek, I looked over the soldier just to see that his gentle eyes, they were warm and made me feel safe. He used his thumb to clean my tears, he stood up and helped me to do stand as well.

 

“We have to get going, the planes will arrive at any time, I know a place where we can be safe” for some reason his voice was somehow a little higher and soft to be a man’s, he took my hand to start going but I stopped him.

 

“You’re hurt” I quietly said, my voice was shaking, I was so scared and I could barely register what just happened, he slightly pulled me and held my hand tighter.

 

“I’m fine, don’t worry about it, our main priority is go get out of here” I nodded and just let him take me where he wanted us to go, I decided to trust him, there was still a chance he would decide to kill me or just to take advantage of me, but for some reason he was so familiar.

 

After a few minutes of running we were already deep in the woods, it was starting to get dark and I was running out of stamina, I heard how planes were flying over us. I stopped and so did the soldier.

 

“It’s okay, we’re almost there” he put his unwounded arm around me, after another five minutes we finally arrived to an abandoned cabin.

 

“We’ll be safe here for a while” he told me as he started to take off his uniform so he could treat his wound but only for me to notice that the soldier was actually a woman and just when realisation hit me about who this person actually was everything blurred out.

 

“Joohyun, are you okay?” I abruptly opened my eyes and started to breathe rapidly, my heart was also beating so fast, it was just another vivid dream, it’s been years since the last time I dreamed something like that.

 

I looked over and saw how worried was Bogum, he placed his hands on my shoulders to help me relax.

 

“Sorry, I just had a bad dream, just like the ones I used to have” I told him, Bogum turned the lights on and got up.

 

“It’s okay, I’ll get you a glass of water” I nodded and waited for him. I wonder why I had a dream like that.

 

Bogum quickly came back with the water and after I drank it, we went back to sleep hoping I wouldn’t have another dream like that.

 


 
A/N: thanks for reading the story, this time it's how Irene's current life is and how her dreams are, this dream was longer in comparison to Wendy's. Thanks again for the support and the upvotes! Next chapter expect a meeting ;)