VIII

Just Who Are You?

Sooyoung opened the door to an empty apartment. A nice studio apartment, no question about that, but empty. Devoid of any sort of human life or interaction. She thought back of how it felt in Wendy's house, to have someone to greet you with so much love every time you returned home. To know that you have someone at home always waiting for you behind those doors. Sooyoung gave a half-hearted smile. It was nice while she was there.

Wendy had only given her a half-assed reply, a simple "I'm fine," and nothing else. Sooyoung didn't like it, but she understood it. She wouldn't be pleased if the same thing had happened to her either. 

Cracking open a packet of instant noodles, Sooyoung let her hair down from the ponytail she had it up in, feeling a lot of tension released from that simple action. Today had been full of the highest ups and lowest downs. She checked her email in case she had gotten anything from Seulgi, but it was empty. 

"So now I'm in charge of the case..." Sooyoung shook her head. It was stressful. Now she had this, the most mystifying case in America, chucked right at her feet. Luckily, Wendy had helped a lot, but Sooyoung still needed her. 

"Oh crap, it's overcooked." Sooyoung turned off the stove, adding some pepper and cheese into her noodles for some kind of organic flavor. She needed to learn how to cook. 

She heard a little buzz from her phone. It was a text message. 

"You aren't on your own. Irene and I are working together now. Don't let Seulgi know :P 
Oh yeah, sleep. I know you're still awake. Don't worry about me, I'm fine :) get some rest. See you soon!
-Wendy"

Sooyoung smiled. 

"I need some of that fried rice again :D a pretty girl like myself cannot live on instant noodles alone :((((((("

The reply came almost instantly.

"Swing by tomorrow, breakfast :)"

"Sounds good." Sooyoung put her phone down and began to eat her sad pot of noodles. She some relaxing music for herself to chill out to, her mind still numb from whatever had transpired today. At least Wendy seemed okay, and that meant a lot to Sooyoung. 

"I need to sleep..." Sooyoung finished her noodles quickly, not wanting to consume any more MSG than she needed to. Chucking her pot in the dishwasher, she changed out of her clothes and collapsed on her bed. Her muscles were aching, her body screaming in pain from the strain it had been put through today. She closed her eyes, ready to doze off.

"Good night, cruel world."

***

There was a knock on the door. At 4 am. Sooyoung stirred in her bed. She had barely been asleep for 2 hours, she was not in any mood to entertain anyone this early in the morning. 

"Screw you, come back later..." Sooyoung grumbled under her breath, digging her face in her pillow. 

"Sooyoung, please open the door."

That voice. What the heck was she doing here? It was muffled, and barely audible, but Sooyoung recognized it. She got out of her bed, splashing some water on her face to freshen herself up a little before marching to her door. She checked the peephole and yup, her hunch was right.

"What the hell are you doing here Taeyeon...?"

Sooyoung opened the door and she was stunned. Taeyeon looked like . And smelled like it too.

"What. The. . Happened. To. You."

Taeyeon gave a dazed smile, her usually pale skin covered in muck and grime that could only be found in the mustiest alleyways of New York. She looked like she had been dumpster diving the last hour. The smell was something that Sooyoung... had sadly experienced before. Just yesterday. 

"Come in and take a shower, then we'll talk."

Taeyeon gave a little bow. 

"Thank you."

***

The lights were now on in Sooyoung's apartment. She hated it, she needed her sleep. But here Taeyeon was now, sitting on her couch, in a shirt that was way too big for her, sipping on an instant coffee that Sooyoung had brewed just a minute ago. 

"Please consider making your own coffee next time, that was disgusting." Taeyeon put the cup down in disgust. As a barista, she was ashamed that she had taken a sip of that. 

Sooyoung was still half awake, her hair tangled and running all over the place, and her eyes almost closing.

"I won't bother asking you how you know where I live, because I know you just got Irene to tell you."

Taeyeon smirked. 

"I'll just ask... why? What the are you doing here at 4 am when I'm trying to catch my goddamn sleep its4ingamI'mexhasutedtoallhelland-"

"I just wanted to see you."

Sooyoung snapped out of her moronic slur, her eyes now locked onto Taeyeon, who was still struggling to finish her coffee.

"Like... you wanna make out with me or?"

Taeyeon looked mortified. 

"Goodness no, not in a million years." Taeyeon gave a hearty laugh, leaning back on Sooyoung's couch, enjoying the smooth texture that the leather provided. "Sorry, but romantically, absolutely no chance. Plus, I don't swing that way."

"Neither do I." Sooyoung shrugged, drinking her own coffee that she made for herself, making a face of revolt when she brought the cup to her lips. 

"You're right, this coffee ."

Taeyeon smirked, managing to finish her coffee first, resting it neatly on the coffee table in front of her. 

"I enjoyed speaking to you that day when we had to carry Seulgi to the carpark, and I need to de-stress. Recently, times have been... tough to say the least." 

Sooyoung gave a half-hearted nod, her bringing her head down just made her feel like sleeping. 

"Not enough customers at the cafe?" Sooyoung was a blink away from going to sleep. 

Taeyeon shook her head. 

"No, the cafe is doing well. It's something else."

Sooyoung nodded. 

"It's something that involves..."

Taeyeon heard soft snores coming from across her, and there Sooyoung was, lying face first on the coffee table, evidently out cold.

"Maybe next time then," Taeyeon smirked, putting Sooyoung around her shoulders and dragging her to her own bed. 

"Stay the night..." Taeyeon heard Sooyoung mutter. 

Taeyeon laid down next to Sooyoung.

"I'll take up that offer."

***

"Sooyoung isn't here..." Wendy frowned. She must have been exhausted from the day yesterday. Wendy didn't blame her, she was barely awake herself, but she had to see Yerim off to school first, then she would probably head back and take a nap before meeting Irene.

"Irene." Wendy leaned on her bedroom wall, staring up at the light in her ceiling. What was it she was feeling with Irene? This sudden sense of attraction... it was foreign to Wendy. She had never loved anyone, either boy or girl. She was not opposed to the idea of being a lesbian, but she had to admit it was a little weird. Being attracted to the same gender... 

Wendy sighed. She could feel her heart pounding against her chest. This was a topic she had not addressed in a long time. Already in her twenties, yet she never had a relationship before. Wendy smiled sadly to herself. 

She liked what she was feeling with Irene, she did.

"Sis! I need to go now!"

Wendy snapped out of her thoughts, grabbing her car keys and jacket. 

"Coming!"

***

"Thanks for seeing me to school today sis!" Katy blew a kiss to Wendy before walking with her friends to class. 

Wendy smiled, waving back to Katy. It had been a while since she had seen her precious Yerim off to school. She had been so busy with work the last 2 months that now she felt... refreshed. It was nice, taking a break from all the thinking and investigations...

"How sweet. You two are so cute."

Wendy turned around and there she was, leaning against a tree, still in that leather jacket, still in those stiletto heels. 

"Irene. What are you doing here?" 

"I was bored." Irene made her way over to Wendy, sliding her fingers between the gaps of Wendy's own fingers.

"A perfect fit. It was like we were made for each other."

Wendy felt a blush rise to her cheeks. 

"You are far too bold for your own good."

"And you're too embarrassed for your own good." Irene placed a finger on Wendy's cheek, making the red on her face grown even more obvious. Wendy could only remain silent. 

"Gosh, you might be my favorite thing in this universe," Irene said, twirling her finger around a loose strand of hair from Wendy's head. Wendy didn't even dare look her in the eye. 

"Di-did you manage to get any new information?" Wendy said, trying to change the subject. Irene chuckled. She knew what Wendy was doing. She didn't mind playing along. 

"Sure did. Plenty in fact. I can tell you that not a single organized crime in the last ten years has used police equipment."

"Well, damn." Wendy tutted. Looks like this was going to be even more difficult than she thought. 

Irene, her hand still attached to Wendy's, tugged a little. 

"I'm cold out here... can we go back to my cafe and discuss this?" 

"Sure." Wendy turned to look and Irene and felt her heart jolt. 

Irene was pouting. 

"Uhh...uhh... my car is nearby. Follow me..."

Wendy walked quickly to her car, with Irene still clinging onto her hand, like Yerim every time they went out together. 

"This is nice. I like it." Irene muttered, just loud enough for Wendy to hear it. 

She smiled.

"I like it too..."