Phase 2: Eleven

Just Who Are You?

Yeri blinked once, then twice. She let out a yawn, letting the sleepiness leave her body as she rolled around in her bed, not wanting to leave the comfort provided by her thick blanket. But she did, since the growl of her stomach was getting obnoxious. Yeri got hungry fast, which is why she needed Wendy home as often as possible to cook for her.

Which is why she was so disappointed to see Wendy's bed empty in the morning. And why she was even more disappointed to see a half-empty bowl of cereal sitting on the kitchen table.

"She ate without me!" Yeri pouted, sitting on the chair in front of her and folding her arms, letting out a childish huff of anger. She initially looked upon the bowl with disgust, as a sign of betrayal, but the roaring in her stomach saw it as a necessity. She ignored it, for now, digging through the fridge and trying to find anything that would fill her up. She found nothing except the empty box of cereal that Wendy had left inside the fridge. Such slobby behavior, very much unlike Wendy.

Yeri sat on the sofa, holding her stomach and groaning.

"I'm hungry..."

There was a knock on the door.

***

"No! No! Go away! Help! Help me please!"

Yeri covered her ears, ignoring the incessant knocking of the door in front of her. She backed away into a corner of the room, yelling, screaming for her life, terrified of whatever was happening outside. She had been taken, blindfolded, gagged and now thrown into this room that was practically barren except for a single bed. It looked like a prison cell, and Yeri was the prisoner. 

She was lost, confused, and scared. The knocking got louder and louder, as did Yeri's screams for the one thing she wanted the most right now.

"Sis where are you!?!?! SIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!!!"

***

The clock struck 11 pm.

Sooyoung, along with Jennie's gang, parked in an alley across the police precinct, at a distance where the cameras would not be able to capture them. The building was still buzzing with activity, police officers on patrol outside and detectives working overtime and filing paperwork. Nothing out of the ordinary thus far.

"Alright, everything looks good. You all remember the plan?" Sooyoung asked, turning to look at the other ladies in the car with her, her signature grin plastered on her face. The other girls' faces, though slightly covered by the dark of the alleyway, were still obvious to Sooyoung's eye. They were filled with doubt and uncertainty.

"Look, Sooyoung, I don't know if-"

"It'll work."

Jennie continued to glare at Sooyoung, her eyes blank and emotionless. She turned to Rosé and nodded.

"Do it."

And with one click of a button, all the lights in the precinct went out, the curtains were all drawn down, blocking the windows. Shouts of confusion and panic began to erupt from within the building, with officers dashing back into the building and detectives screaming their heads off about how crappy the electrical system was. This was the time to strike. All the officers on patrol had run back into the building, leaving no one outside, so everyone except Rosé, who was the strategist from the outside, dashed across the street. They crouched beneath the windows of the side of the building and headed back to the alleyway, which as Wendy had said, was empty.

Jennie took the lead. She climbed up the rather old fire escape, feeling the stairs and ladders shaking underneath her as she climbed up the building. All the windows had really been shut off on the inside, there was no way anyone would be able to see them. Jennie grinned, telling the others to quickly follow her up. Jisoo followed, then Lisa, then Sooyoung. Due to all their remarkable athletic ability, they were able to get up the fire escape extremely quickly. They soon reached the top of the building, where the usual guard officers left due to the power outage. The shed Wendy told them about was to their left, and they made a dash for it, sprinting to the front door and trying to pry it open.

", it's locked!"

Sooyoung shushed Jennie, yanking out a key from her pocket and unlocking the door.

"I'm a cop too, remember?"

Sooyoung smirked, opening the door wide and letting the others hide inside. She looked at her watch.

11.15 pm.

"Perfect."

Sooyoung entered the shed and locked the door.

***

"This tastes like ."

Wendy sat in a Starbucks, tapping her finger on a table and sipping on a coffee. A terrible coffee. Flavour manufactured by chemicals, coffee beans all ground up by machines in a factory, it was nothing like the sweet, savory, organic coffee that was made by Kim Taeyeon. The whipped cream and extra coffee power were just there to cover up the horrible taste of the real substance. Taeyeon's coffee never needed that.

The straw swirled around in its cup, with Wendy mindlessly fiddling with the plastic tube as she waited for her time to step up. She had recently gotten a report on her phone that the precinct had a sudden power outage at around 11 pm, so she knew that Jennie's gang had succeeded. She looked out the window, watching various cars go by, and people queuing by the taxi stand out in front of the Starbucks.

Wendy felt a strong, but pleasant smell waft through her nostrils. She turned her head, and saw, what she had to admit, an extremely attractive lady standing by her left.

Short in stature, even stiletto heels couldn't hide that...

Then, for the first time that day, Wendy smiled. Memories of her first meeting with Irene flooded her mind, her mind that had been so filled with turmoil and hatred the last few hours. It was... refreshing to see happier times again. To remember happier times again.

"Irene..."

Wendy sighed, banging her head on the table. She had just left Irene, just like that, saying some of the cruelest things that she had ever spoken to the woman that she loved the most. What in the world was she thinking? Now that she had a clearer head, she realized that she didn't mean a word she said to Irene, the poor girl had to take all of Wendy's crap and she didn't complain at all. Wendy sighed again. She needed to make things right with Irene.

She took out her phone and dialed Irene's number. To her surprise, it was Soo Man who picked up.

"Mr. Lee? Where is-"

"Irene overdosed. Looks like she was on the brink of relapse and chugged down her pills to slow it down. She's stable now, so no need to worry. She's safe."

Wendy felt her heart both drop and rise at the same time. Upon hearing that Irene was safe, she thanked Soo Man and hung up. She clenched her fists, so hard that her entire arm began to quiver.

"This is my fault, all my fault..."

Her phone alarm rang. It was time.

***

Midnight.

25th December.

Christmas lights all over New York City. It was now officially the festive season. There seemed to be a mini-uproar from within the Big Apple, people chanting Christmas carols, children opening their presents. One person overlooked this. 

Kang Seulgi stood at the helipad, her arms buried deep inside her trench coat, a lone cigar sticking out . She let out a puff, a cloud of smoke leaving , blending in perfectly with the little pieces of snow that now began to fall from the sky.

"Beautiful, isn't it, Wendy?"

Seulgi turned around and came face to face with her best detective. Wendy stood firm, her hair blowing in the wind that was starting to pick up. She looked up slightly at her former boss, who was now walking down towards Wendy. Her hands came out of her trench coat, a cigar inside it. She handed it towards the shorter woman, a friendly smile on her face.

"Cigar?"

Wendy looked at Seulgi from head to toe, spitting on the ground before grabbing the cigar from Seulgi, the woman lighting it up for Wendy as they now both stared at each other, smoking. Normally, Wendy would not have accepted it, but she was quietly confident knowing that in the shed behind her, there were 4 armed and ready girls waiting to pounce.

"Where is she, Seulgi? Where is my sister?"

Seulgi waved off Wendy, flicking away some leftover ash on her cigar. The moment she turned her head up, she was met with the bare knuckles of Wendy's fist going right across her jaw, which such force that it sent Seulgi stumbling back a few feet. The mafia head wiped her chin and saw a streak of blood across her hand.

"Wow, nice hook," Seulgi smirked, wiping away the rest of her blood and shooting a wink at Wendy, who was having none of it. Wendy began to march towards Seulgi, preparing to do whatever it took to get the information out of her. Beat her senseless, hang her over the rooftop, anything. She raised her arm up, ready to deliver any blow to Seulgi, when she was met by the end of a metal barrel.

Seulgi had drawn on her, so Wendy did the same. Her hand went to her holster and she drew her own weapon at a speed Seulgi wasn't expecting, and the two women were now standing face to face, their guns trained on each other. They were at a standstill.

"Giver her back to me Kang Seulgi. Give. Me. Back. My. Sister."

Seulgi laughed.

"You aren't here to see your sister again, sweetie. You're here to never see her again."

"I'm here to kill you, Son Wendy."

Wendy felt a jolt shoot down her spine when she heard the words that came out of Seulgi's mouth. She said it all with a smile on her face, like a cashier behind a counter. This was nothing new to her. In fact, it looked almost second nature. Wendy now had no doubt as to Seulgi's true identity.

"W-why? Why, Kang Seulgi?"

Wendy saw Seulgi's smile grow even wider when she heard Wendy stutter. A sign of weakness, just what Seulgi was looking for.

"Why? You're a loose end, Wendy. Most people like to tie up loose ends, I prefer to cut them loose. You know who I am, and I don't want you to know."

"Wiping your memory won't be enough. I'll put a hole in your brain instead."

Wendy felt a ball begin to form in . Her body began to quiver, and it wasn't because of the cold.

Seulgi was terrifying. A demon from hell.

Wendy had to do something about this. If she spent any more time alone with Seulgi, she would crumble. Not now, she needed to save Yeri. 

"Girls! Get out here!"

Seulgi furrowed her eyebrows. She looked at Wendy, who was grinning from ear to ear.

"Guess who's smiling now?"

Jennie, Jisoo, Lisa, and Sooyoung all piled out the shed, aiming all their guns towards Seulgi. The mafia head looked mildly surprised, but her gun was still up, her composure firm. 

"Jennie, Sooyoung, nice to see you. Lisa and I assume Jisoo, you too."

Jennie, Lisa, and Jisoo were all standing very close to Seulgi, while Sooyoung was standing behind them, in the event that Seulgi managed to get past them, Sooyoung, the most physically strong out of everyone, would be able to stop her.

Wendy looked at her allies proudly, turning back to Seulgi with a large, almost cocky grin on her face.

"We're here to arrest you, Kang Seulgi, and have you pay for your sins."

Wendy expected Seulgi to start letting her gun down. She expected to see Seulgi drop her gun, put her hands behind her head and kneel to the ground, knowing that she was outnumbered and that she had lost. She was expecting to win, now that her trump card had been played.

Instead, Seulgi was still smirking away.

"Haven't you wondered, Wendy, how I knew about you and what you were doing? Haven't you wondered how I seem to know everything you've been up to? The attack at the Lady's Room? Capturing Yeri and knowing she was alone at your apartment? These things, don't you wonder how I know them?"

Wendy began to feel her heart race. Seulgi had a point. How did she find out about all this?

"I have eyes and ears everywhere, Son Wendy."

Then, Seulgi looked behind Wendy and nodded. Three quick gunshots and yells of pains were heard. Wendy whipped her head around, and what she saw, she thought she was going to pass out.

Jennie, Jisoo, and Lisa all lying face down on the ground, pools of red forming on their backs. And behind them, Sooyoung, her pistol still with smoke coming out the barrel, now aiming her gun right at her.

"Good work, Sooyoung."

The tall lady nodded, giving a slight bend of the knee to Seulgi, her gun still trained on Wendy.

"Thank you, boss."

Boss?

Wendy slowly turned back to Seulgi, whose smile resembled that of a Cheshire cat's.

"Son Wendy, I'd like you to meet my right-hand man."

"Park Sooyoung, number one hitman in the Kang Clan."

 

 

 

 

 

Author Notes:

OH. MY. GOD. 

I. KNOW. RIGHT.

TILL. NEXT. TIME.