Phase 2: Seven

Just Who Are You?

Soo Man, Irene, and Wendy pulled up a few chairs and sat around one of the few tables that weren't destroyed. Irene had gone into the Datahouse and pulled out her very extensive file on Kang Seulgi. She emerged from the kitchen with two extremely thick folders, one slightly more worn out than the other. She put the folders down on the table and Wendy took a good look at them.

"Mafia and police. So, she was running two identities, and you worked with her?" Wendy raised an eyebrow at Soo Man. He tried to look Irene's way, but she avoided his gaze, choosing to busy herself with the buttons on her blouse. He heaved a sigh out of his tired body, opening the mafia file first. There was a picture of Seulgi, much younger, donned in a suit and sunglasses. She had a cocky grin on her face, with long blonde hair and a tattoo on her neck. 

"That was Kang Seulgi when we found her. Remember when the mafia went under all those years ago? And it was because she..."

Soo Man opened Seulgi's police file, and the picture within was the Seulgi Wendy was more familiar with. Clean and pretty, the police badge shining proudly on her chest, and a pure, heartwarming smile on her face.

"Was the one that caught the mafia boss?" 

Wendy's head dipped for a second before snapping back up. She grabbed both of the files from Soo Man, who folded his arms and leaned back. Wendy was a great detective, she would be able to figure this out easily now that she had everything in front of her, literally. He took out his phone and left the table. He was going to make some calls.

Irene was playing with her fingers, nervously biting her lip.

To be honest, Irene felt guilty. Even though Wendy had just said that she didn't care who she was earlier, she still felt a vice grip around her chest. The firm grip of guilt for what she had done in the past. She glanced nervously at the file, which contained not only all of Seulgi's misdeeds, but also her own.

Then, she felt a hand on her fumbling fingers. She looked up and saw Wendy smiling back at her.

"It's okay Irene. The past is the past."

"You have no idea the things I've done."

"I just read them."

Wendy flipped the file to Irene, who was given a harsh reminder of the sins she had committed when she was running as Seulgi's partner in crime. The list was long, detailed and reopened a very old wound within Irene's conscience. 

"Fifteen counts of first-degree murder. Twelve counts of arson. Twelve counts of insurance fraud. Ten counts of attempted manslaughter. Twenty counts of robbery with an armed weapon. Kang Irene was a piece of work." Irene gave an awkward chuckle, looking down at her fingers and fiddling with them once again. Wendy sighed, bringing the file back from Irene's side and continuing to look through the files.

"That was Kang Irene. Bae Irene is different."

Irene could only smile at Wendy's warm words.

Wendy put the mafia file away and moved on to the police one, which she was much more interested in since it contained the details of the deal that had been struck between Seulgi and Soo Man. It was right on the first page.

"In exchange of the safety and immunity of Kang Irene, I, Kang Seulgi, will work for the police force and halt all illegal activities for the rest of my life."

Soo Man chuckled when he heard Wendy read out the details of the contract he had signed with the infamous mafia boss, settling down back in his chair and patting Irene on the shoulder. The woman flinched a little.

"It's a long story that one. Seulgi thinks I caught her myself, but it went a little differently than she thinks."

***

"Detective! We got a citizen here, says she wants to make a statement."

Soo Man took off his glasses, moving away from the pile of paperwork he had to deal with after the drug deal he had just busted the day before. Next to that row of paperwork were a thick stack of files that had been still the last few months, but slowly and surely getting thinner and thinner. He had been assigned to control the mafia influence in the city. It was a long job, and a tough one, but he was slowly getting to the bottom of it.

For now, he had to deal with the citizen's statement. He saw a young girl wearing stilettos, donned in a leather jacket, twiddling her fingers and biting her lip, her eyes moving left and right, as if anxious that someone was about to attack her from out of nowhere. Soo Man had a half mind about what she was going to report about, he had seen it all before.

"Good afternoon ma'am. How may I help you?"

The girl still sat twiddling her fingers and looking around nervously, so Soo Man put a hand on her shoulder, which made her flinch.

"Robbery? Outrage of modesty? B&E? What happened, Miss?"

The girl took a deep breath.

"I-I'm here to report the whereabouts of Kang Seulgi. She is the leader of the Kang Clan."

Soo Man's eyes widened.

"I'm Kang Irene, her sister."

***

"Kang Seulgi, in the flesh."

The blonde girl tutted loudly, yanking on the handcuff which she had been attached to the past two hours. 

"I don't know how you managed to find out about the arms deal taking place with the Russians, but good on you. You did good, pig."

Soo Man laughed, sitting down in front of Seulgi, putting his hands together in front of him, and in front of a rather irritated mafia leader. He was in control, and it was a feeling he never wanted to relish.

"I know you have a sister. I know that you two have done things that warrant the death penalty. How would you like for both you and your sister to swing, side by side? Wouldn't that be a beautiful ending to your lives?"

Seulgi's entire facial expression changed. Suddenly, Soo Man could see panic and fear settle in her eyes. He smirked. He got her.

"No, no not Irene! I could care less if I die but stay the away from Irene! She's the only thing I care about! Please!"

Soo Man pushed a file in front of Seulgi. A contract.

"Then, how would you like to strike a deal?"

***

Wendy smiled a tiny bit when he heard Soo Man tell the story of how Seulgi became a police officer.

"She and I aren't so different after all. She just wants to do what she has to do for her sister, and cares deeply for Bae Irene."

She looked over at Irene, who was still fiddling with her fingers, clearly still feeling guilty about what she had done. 

"You said you hated her, Irene. Is that true?"

Irene sighed.

"I hate what she did to survive, I hated her lifestyle, but I don't hate her. Deep down in there is a good person, but I couldn't stand the things that we had to do in order to live. All the crime, I couldn't take it anymore. All I wanted was a normal life, and I thought by ratting Seulgi out, I could have that. And I did for a while until Seulgi roped me back in."

Wendy tilted her head, curious about what Irene meant. The girl heaved an even deeper sigh.

"Wendy, it was me."

"I'm the Alleyway Murderer."

 

 

 

Author Notes:

<_<