XI

Just Who Are You?

There were no leads. A dead end yet again. 

Seulgi was sweating profusely, as the eyes of every police head were looking straight at her. 

"We want answers Kang, what are you going to do about this?"

"Should we close the case? Or wait for another murder to occur?"

"New York is in panic Kang, they want someone to be found responsible."

"We can't simply chuck an innocent in Death Row again, too much controversy!" 

Seulgi took a swig from her water bottle. Whiskey, it helped calm her down. When she was calm, she was in charge.

Thus, Seulgi began to take charge.

"You gave me two more weeks to get a lead. Only one week has passed. If there's nothing after this week, we'll close the case." 

The police heads exchanged uneasy looks towards each other. 

"We hope you know what you're doing Kang."

Seulgi gave a confident smile.

"Trust me, I do."

***

"Could you have chosen a shadier place to meetup?"

Irene was shuffling her feet in the cold, her usual leather jacket replaced with a fur coat to protect her from the sudden drop in temperature. 

Wendy chuckled. They were waiting underneath an old bridge in Hell's Kitchen, a place that was notorious for its gritty nature. On the way over, there weren't many people on the streets, other than the usual homeless few. This was a good place to have a meeting.

"Sorry Irene, you'll have to make do for now."

The woman pouted. 

Wendy took out a cigarette, inhaling the toxin into her lungs and feeling re-energized. She missed her pack of smokes, they were what kept her going for so long. Now, however, it looks like she may have found a replacement. 

"Mind telling me more about this Jennie person?"

Wendy crushed her cigarette underneath her foot. She wouldn't be needing it anymore. 

"I'll confess, I wasn't always such a great cop." Wendy sat on the hood of her car, her eyes looking past Irene, who had taken the initiative to sit down next to her. "I had some connections, not all legal."

Irene nodded, her hand now moving over Wendy's like it was second nature. 

"A criminal? How hot." Irene snickered, sliding closer to Wendy in an effort to try and stay warm. 

"A criminal, a vulgar mouth, a horrible attitude towards life, but a good person." 

Irene hummed. 

Wendy's phone punctured the silence that had befallen them, a text message appearing on Wendy's phone. 

"HOW RUDE! YOU LEFT WITHOUT ME :( I'M ON MY WAY TO HELL'S KITCHEN."

"Joy." Wendy laughed. She was so cute. 

Seeing as she had her phone on, Wendy shot a quick text to Yerim, apologizing for being unable to pick her up today and telling her to sleep early tonight. 

"Has school not ended yet for her?" Irene asked, peering over Wendy's shoulder to look at her phone screen. 

"Tomorrow will be her last day, then she'll be done till next semester starts, which will be next year." 

Irene hummed once again, now drawing circles on Wendy's hand. She continued doing this mundane action, drawing in rhythm with Wendy's soft singing.

"Wow, you're a great singer, I can tell just from that little bit."

Wendy smiled, her hands now enveloped around Irene's, warming up the poor girl a little bit. 

"I used to sing, way back in the day. No time for that now."

"I'd love to hear you sing for me."

Wendy looked back at a hopeful pair of eyes. 

"Maybe next time."

The sound of an engine came rumbling down the silence that was built up under the bridge, and a car pulled up in front of the pair. 

Sooyoung came out the door, panting and wheezing for some odd reason. 

"This place is a maze! I was worried I lost you guys!" Sooyoung killed the engine and marched on over to Wendy, poking a finger into the woman's chest. 

"So, what the heck do you plan to do?"

Then, a yell came from above them. 

"GODDAMN WENDY! SINCE WHEN WERE YOU SUCH A LADY'S WOMAN?"

Ah. So that was Jennie. 

A girl shrouded in nothing but sweatpants, a cap (during the nighttime) and a hoodie draped over her head. She was hanging from the ledge of the bridge, for some odd reason. 

Sooyoung raised a brow, while Irene cracked a smirk. 

"Who the heck is she? Some kind of hobo?" Sooyoung said, drawing a gasp from Jennie. 

"What the did you just call me you ing giraffe?" Jennie leaped off the ledge she was hanging on, her comment sending Sooyoung reeling. 

"Who the are you calling a giraffe you crackhead?!" 

"CRACKHEAD?!"

Wendy was struggling to breath, and even Irene was chuckling at the scene. 

", I don't give a if you're a cop or not, I will KNOCK YOUR OUT PIG!" 

"OH NAH YOU DID NOT ING-" 

Sooyoung drew her gun, and that was Wendy's cue to step in. 

"OKAY CALM THE HECK DOWN YOU TWO!" Wendy came between the two girls, pushing the two alpha personalities aside, Sooyoung still waving her gun about while Jennie looked like she was about to bust a vein trying to control her anger. 

Irene sat back and enjoyed the scene. It was quite surreal, she had never seen anything like this before. 

"Aww, I was kind of hoping you would let them continue." 

As soon as Irene opened , Jennie let out a low whistle. 

"Wendy, if that ain't your girl, I'm taking her home." 

Irene gave a wink, in which Jennie reacted by collapsing into Wendy's arms. 

"Sorry, don't give a if she's yours or not, I'm taking her home." 

Wendy chuckled, letting go off Sooyoung, who was now putting her gun away, grumbling under her breath. 

"She isn't mine, but I'm not letting you take her away." 

Jennie shrugged her shoulders. 

"Anyway, what the are we doing here again?" 

***

"Timeout timeout. So you're telling me you quit your damn job, the giraffe can't get into Evidence, and now you want me to bust in?" 

Sooyoung let out a grumble that sounded too much like an angry bulldog. Wendy chuckled. 

"Yup, that's basically it." 

Jennie scoffed, leaning against a wall and looking right at Wendy. 

"I can get it done by tomorrow, no problem. I'll just need the beanstalk to keep mum about it, and I'll need my payment." 

"Of course."

Jennie pointed at Irene. 

"Can I have that one?" 

"No." 

Irene smiled at how sternly Wendy had replied to that request. Wendy being protective was cute. 

"Sorry honey, Wen-Wen is saying no no, so that means a no go from me too." 

Jennie tutted, folding her arms and pouting. Irene had to admit, Jennie was quite cute too, but was almost unbearably vulgar. 

So vulgar that it seemed to had been rubbing off Wendy. Irene had noticed that Wendy had been swearing a little more recently, perhaps it was Jennie's influence.

"Let me know once you get it done then!"

Wendy and Jennie exchanged a hug, Jennie giving a playful bite on Wendy's earlobe before waving goodbye. 

"Bye !" Jennie threw a stray rock at Sooyoung's legs, getting a yelp from the tall girl. 

"I SWEAR I'M GOING TO-" 

Sooyoung's rage was soon vented at nothing, as Jennie seemingly disappeared from sight. 

"Huh, where the heck did she go?" 

There was a scream from Irene, who was holding her cheek. 

"Bye beautiful!" 

Jennie was hanging from the ledge she first made her appearance from, blowing a kiss at Irene before disappearing once again. 

The trio were left in a stunned silence. 

"...I have absolute confidence she's getting us the glove." Irene said, still holding her cheek, the mark of Jennie's lips still resonating over her skin. 

Wendy chuckled, her mood a direct opposite from Sooyoung's mood at the moment. 

"I don't get it, why don't we just wait for Seulgi to come back..." Sooyoung grumbled like a five year old, pouting and kicking the little rocks around her feet, booting the one Jennie had thrown at her into the high heavens. Her ego was clearly hurt. 

Wendy lit up a cigarette.

"I don't trust the police on this. They boot me off the case right when we make a breakthrough. I don't trust them anymore."

"I'm doing it my way."