I

Just Who Are You?

Why?

Why do I keep doing this?

"I just like it."

••

"That's the third one this week boss."

Another dead body. Same M.O as the previous two. 

Young female. 

Age early twenties.

Dead in an alleyway at 11.59pm. 

Cause of death: Stab wounds to chest, neck and liver. 

"Keep this from the media. We don't need New York to implode."

"Yes ma'am."

The scent of smoke soon entered the air, as a lighter was ignited. 

Wendy despised cigarettes. But they helped her keep going. The menthol had a soothing effect on her. The stench was putrid, but nothing compared to the smell of a dead body. 

"Alright, the game is just getting started..."

Wendy threw the burned stick into a puddle, the light extinguishing as quickly as it came. She entered the crime scene, gloves on, ready to begin her work.

"Same thing as always sir?" A nod was all she needed to know what she was dealing with. The same ridiculously clean crime scene, with nothing other than the dead body and stab wounds. Not a droplet of blood and not a hint of a fingerprint. As if the body was simply dropped from the sky. 

"Footprints?" Wendy knew the answer, but asked as a formality.

"No."

She examined the body closer. No sign of a struggle, no bruises or additional signs of trauma. It was as if she died in her sleep.

"Whoever this person is, they're good at what they do."

Wendy took a few glances around the alleyway in hopes of even trying to find the slightest odd detail. But alas, nothing. As always.

"Identity of the victim?"

"Jung Jessica. Student at the Parsons School Of Design. One sibling, no previous criminal record. No connection to previous victims whatsoever." 

Wendy bit her lip. "Another poor soul who didn't deserve her fate."

She gave one more look at the body. Nothing.

"To the Morgue she goes. And remember, the media does not know of this."

••

"We are officially in the ."

Wendy didn't flinch when another file came flying her way. She simply stepped to her left and allowed the window behind her to feel Seulgi's wrath instead. 

Her boss always had a bit of a temper issue. She can't blame her. Kang Seulgi, the most accomplished police officer at her age, working her way up to Captain, now had a wall she couldn't overpass. She never had a wall she couldn't overpass.

"Nothing again? AGAIN?"

Wendy nodded.

There went a good cup of coffee.

"Media won't know of this?"

"One step ahead of you Lieutenant Kang."

A laugh filled the office.

"If you were really a step ahead of me, you would have solved the case already."

Wendy smiled.

"."

Seulgi got up from her seat, eye bags obvious, so skinny her size small clothes looked loose on her. This case had driven her crazy the past month. 

"One month later, and not a speck of evidence..." Seulgi poured herself a shot of whiskey. "Want one?"

"Red wine only."

Seulgi shrugged and downed the fiery liquid, allowing the chemical to burn away some of the unrest residing within her.  

"I don't care how you do it. Find him, or her, as soon as possible."

Wendy bowed.

"Yes ma'am."

••

"ALLEYWAY MURDERS OCCUR AGAIN. WHAT ARE THE NYPD DOING?"

Wendy slammed the newspaper to the floor. "Useless ing pigs can't even prevent the press from getting hold of it..." 

She stared outside her apartment window. New York. Crowded as ever, filled with little heads and yellow cabs roaming around. Among them, a killer resides. 

"New York ain't all that nice to live in."