Phase 2: Ten

Just Who Are You?

"Your life? I don't care for that, I just want Yeri back."

Irene felt a wrecking ball crash into her heart. Wendy's words were hurtful, very hurtful, but she knew that this was just anger. She was willing to take the hits, for now, it would be worth it in the end, once they get Yeri back. 

"Right... we just need Yeri back," Irene forced out a weak smile, getting up from her kneeling position from in front of Wendy and walking towards Sooyoung, who pulled her in for a hug. The tall girl just sighed, patting Irene's head as she let her tears flow, staining Sooyoung's black turtleneck. Wendy had also got up to her feet, leaning against the wall and just staring into blank space.

"So, nothing we can do? I want to kill her, Soo Man. Kill," Wendy deadpanned, pulling out her gun from her holster on her belt. Soo Man just sighed, shaking his head.

"No way we're sending in any type of police reinforcement. She'll know. If we're going to get any help, it cannot be from the police."

Sooyoung's ears perked up. If they couldn't get the police to help, then they needed an external group's assistance. She gave Irene's head one last pat before she separated herself and pulled out her phone. She had just made their acquaintance, but if Wendy needed help, she knew that they would be more than willing to lend their expertise.

"Hey, Jennie? Bring your whole gang over to the Lady's Room cafe, the one that got blown up in the news."

"We got a code red here. I'll text the details."

Sooyoung put away her phone, and Soo Man looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Who was that?"

Sooyoung smiled.

"Help."

***

After not more than ten minutes, the sounds of multiple tires screeching to a halt was heard outside the cafe. Everyone in the cafe looked to the hole at the entrance that used to be the door, and in came Jennie, Jisoo, Rosé and Lisa, all dressed in all black and each carrying a duffel bag. There were bandoliers around their shoulders to store ammunition, and they had all had two pistols holstered on their belts. All of them looked extremely angry, to say the least, especially Jennie.

"Taking a little girl? That is not how you ing do things."

"Tell us what you need us to do, we'll do it."

Sooyoung was beaming. She looked to her side at Wendy, who still hadn't cracked a smile. Her face was still stoic and unmoving. She kept her gun back in her holster and took out her phone, quickly scrolling through it and putting an image of the blueprints to the police precinct on a table. Everybody gathered around her, even Soo Man.

"Okay, no way we can all go in at once and not get spotted. Let's all split up and go at different times. Jennie, I want your gang to sneak into the precinct by 11.15 pm. You can go through the fire escape at the back, it's always left unattended. It's a blind spot, no cameras there either. Hide up on the roof just in case I need you all. There's a little shed on the roof where we keep spare guns for the officers who need to use the chopper on the helipad. I will be there at midnight sharp. Sooyoung, you just protect Irene back here."

Sooyoung shook her head.

"No way. Soo Man can call some people over to protect Irene, I want to go in with Jennie and the rest."

Wendy raised an eyebrow, but she did not object. Sooyoung was going to join Jennie's gang in infiltrating the precinct, Soo Man was going to be in charge of protecting Irene and Wendy would take Seulgi's bait and arrive at the roof during midnight. This wasn't a great plan, but it was all they had. Seulgi had the mafia and police at her beck and call. 

"What about cameras around the entrance? Won't Seulgi have access to them?" Irene asked. She got a smile back from Rosé.

"I'm the best hacker in the business. I'll disable them briefly while the girls sneak up. Then, I'll shut off all the lights in the precinct as a distraction while the girls sneak up."

"Also, the curtains in the precinct are automated now because they're 'moving with the times', so I can shut every single one of them and block out every window. Basically, we'll be ghosts."

Irene was amazed. 

"What time is it now?" Jennie asked.

Irene looked at her watch.

"6.47 pm."

"Guess we'll get a move on. If we're sneaking in, we're gonna need some extra stuff. Sooyoung, you coming?"

Wendy's number two agreed to go along with them, waving goodbye to Soo Man, Irene, and Wendy before following Jennie's gang back to their hideout. Soo Man was already making calls, calling his best men and asking them for a safe house where they could keep Irene at for now. Even though Seulgi didn't know that Irene was working with the police, there was every chance she could find out. They couldn't take that risk, Irene was going to be key if there was going to be a case made against Seulgi in court.

"This is going to be a huge scandal when it gets out..." Soo Man sighed, putting his phone away. The NYPD was going to be in shambles if word got out about their contract. Major Crimes, the FBI, and every other major law enforcement team would be on his . He was probably going to be fired, but that was the consequences for his actions. He looked across at Irene, who was just sitting beside Wendy, with an awkward distance between the two. 

"That girl has changed my life so much."

Soo Man took one last look at both Wendy and Irene before getting up his chair.

"You two, head to where you last saw Yeri, maybe there'll be some clues there. I'm going to meet up with my men."

And with that, Soo Man put on his coat and left the cafe, leaving behind Wendy and Irene.

Before Irene could even say anything, Wendy stormed off to Jennie's car, following closely behind Soo Man. Irene watched Wendy's back figure and just sighed.

***

It was the worst car ride in Irene's entire life.

The air in the car was stuffy and filled with tension, so much so that Irene even tried to open the windows, which failed because Wendy hated having the windows down. Luckily, Wendy was still breaking the speed limit, or edging right on it, and she managed to reach her apartment in the blink of an eye. There was nothing irregular about the entrance. The security guard was still working normally, even waving hello at Wendy.

"Sir, did you see my sister leave earlier?"

The security guard thought for a moment before snapping his fingers.

"Yes, I did! I saw her leaving with Kang Seulgi earlier, our nation's hero!"

Wendy's face turned a deathly shade of pale. She thanked the security guard quickly before heading to the elevator, mashing the up button impatiently. Irene just stood by her side, twiddling her fingers, not daring to say anything. The elevator soon arrived, and the trip up was just as awkward as the car ride. They reached their floor, and Wendy busted out the doors, sprinting straight towards her front door. She turned the knob, and just as she suspected, it was unlocked.

"This is all my fault..." 

Wendy opened the door to see the apartment in perfect condition. No signs of a struggle, nothing out of place, it was as if they had never left the place. Wendy took a closer look around her apartment and found a note on the kitchen table.

"Sis! You didn't tell me you were leaving, I'm hungry >_< luckily, Officer Kang came by! She told me that she was looking for you, and I told her you weren't home :( she said she'd take me out to eat though! I saw her in the news so I know she's trustworthy :D we'll be back soon sis~! At least that's what she told me :P see you soon! I love you <3"

The note slowly began to become soaked up, with Wendy's tears. If she hadn't left the house in such a rush, none of this would have happened. Yeri would be safe, and they could have caught Seulgi red-handed. She held the note close to her chest, praying that those would not be the last words that Yeri would say to her.

Irene walked up beside Wendy and patted her on the shoulder, a gesture which the smaller woman shrugged off, brushing Irene's hand away. Irene's hand jolted, as did her lower jaw, feeling her eyes start to water again. This was okay, she would take it for now. 

"Get away from me. None of this would have happened if you never entered my life."

"I never want to see you again."

Wendy grabbed Yeri's note and left the apartment, leaving Irene behind by herself. She was stunned, not computing what Wendy had said until a few moments later. Then, the floodgates opened. Irene let it all out, almost screaming out her tears as she collapsed to the ground, grabbing her hair and yanking so hard a few strands came loose. That was it, Wendy hated her. She had lost everything. First, her best friend. Then, her cafe. Now, she had lost the love of her life. She lay on the ground, looking up at the ceiling and screaming as loudly as she could.

Her yells were filled with agony, pain, and suffering. The pain was unbearable, like her heart was being manually ripped apart by a pack of wolves. Wendy might as well have shot her and left her to bleed out, it would have hurt less than what Wendy had actually done to her.

"It hurts so much, Wendy... it hurts so bad..."

Irene felt something start to rise up again, something she dreaded. She stuffed her hand in her jacket pocket and frantically pulled out her bottle of pills, stuffing all of them in . She swallowed them whole, not worrying about the possibility of choking.

Or an overdose. 

Irene's eyes closed, and she went limp.

 

 

Author Notes:

:(