VII

Just Who Are You?

Excuse me, what?"

Seulgi sighed. She put her hand on Wendy's shoulder, which was quickly brushed off. 

"Nope. No way. I have spent way too long on this case to just be dropped off just like that. You better be giving me one hell of a reason or I swear to God your Mother won't even recognize you when I'm done."

Seulgi put her head down. Her jaw was shaking, a sign of weakness. That was rarely shown by Seulgi. That surprised Wendy.

"I'm sorry Wendy... I really am. I don't want to do this, you're the best I got." 

Wendy was still very angry, but she wasn't as mad as she wanted to be. She knew Seulgi. For a long time, before this case drove her insane. She wouldn't do this unless she really had to, so this was not Seulgi's decision. It was one of the higher-ups. And hey, Seulgi couldn't do about that. 

Sooyoung didn't know that though. She was still a greenhorn, which is why it did not surprise Wendy one bit when Sooyoung drew her gun on Seulgi.

"If Wendy is not on this case, neither am I."

Seulgi was unfazed at the Glock-17 staring right at her. She too was expecting an outburst of sorts from Sooyoung. It was just who she was. 

"Don't let emotions control you Joy," Seulgi said. Right back to her bossy self. That's what helped Seulgi climb to the top, her ability to switch on her strong side at any time. It's what made her, her.

Wendy grabbed Sooyoung's wrists and pushed it down, giving a gentle smile that let Sooyoung know that she wasn't mad. And if Wendy wasn't mad, what right did Sooyoung have to be mad?

"If the reason is good enough, I'll accept it," Wendy said. Sooyoung kept her gun, reluctantly. 

"Well...we're lacking manpower in other departments. This case has taken so many resources that other departments are running thin. Now, they're taking from us. They want you back Wendy."

"They?"

"...Vice."

It was like a bolt of lightning. Wendy's badge on the floor and her back now retreating towards her car. 

"No way in hell am I going back!"

Wendy unlocked her car door, got inside and slammed it shut. She was fuming. Vice? Never. Never again. 

She her car ignition. No way, she was not going down like this. the police then. She had her own way of serving justice.

"This case is mine."

Wendy pulled out her phone, calling the only person who could help her now.

Barely one ring later, she picked up.

"Don't like the sound of Vice huh?"

Wendy snorted. 

"You know too much."

A chuckle was the reply.

"Wouldn't you like to know some of what I know too?"

Wendy smiled. She was beginning to like this girl.

"I would love to know more. Say, Irene... are you looking for a partner?"

A laughter that sounded much too attractive to Wendy came through the speaker.

"Oh, honey. Honestly, I'm more of a solo worker. But if it's you... I'll make an exception. Come and see me, right now."

***

Sooyoung and Seulgi stood there, as the smell of smoke from an exhaust pipe invaded their nostrils. 

"Well, that went to . ing hell..." Seulgi picked up Wendy's badge and pocketed it. This was going to be the topic of a loooong talk among the higher-ups. Seulgi was in deep . 

Sooyoung frowned. She shot a text to Wendy, asking if she was okay and asking her to reply as soon as possible. 

"Why?"

Seulgi looked at Sooyoung, who was still looking at her phone, at the few texts that had been exchanged between Wendy and herself. 

"Why does she hate Vice so much?"

Seulgi sat leaned against the building wall, shrugging her shoulders. 

"If she didn't tell you, then I have absolutely no right to tell you either."

Sooyoung frowned. She remembered she had asked Seulgi when she was drunk, and she had given a vague hint. She wanted to know more.

"Anyway,let's get back in there. Evidence, don't forget. Let's close this case up, for Wendy."

Upon hearing about the evidence again, Sooyoung snapped up. Right. She had completely forgotten about why she was even here in the first place. 

"Let's get in there."

Seulgi and Sooyoung rushed to the Lab, brushing past people in white coats who looked way too tired to be doing anything remotely close to working. Police business was tough. 

The duo arrived at their station just in time, their sample just got done being tested.

"Any luck?" Sooyoung asked, hope radiating through her voice.

The scientist let out a huff.

"This person, whoever they are, they're good. We can confirm that these are police issued, but there are no fingerprints inside. If anything, this looks more like a piece that was left there on purpose, maybe to throw us off."

Sooyoung punched the door while Seulgi just sighed. She was at a loss for words. 

"Goddamnit..."

***

"I'm out front."

"Well come on in then, the door is always open for you."

Wendy rolled her eyes, but she was starting to like Irene's flirty personality. It was endearing, and right now, Wendy needed someone who seemed like they appreciated her being around. 

She had replied to Sooyoung, telling her she was fine, and that was it. She felt bad for ditching Sooyoung, but right now she just needed to be by herself. 

"Vice... no way in hell."

She entered the little cafe and saw the familiar figure standing by the counter. 

"Burning the candle at both ends, Wendy? I can see your eyebags from here."

Wendy laughed. "I could say the same for you."

Taeyeon shrugged. "People need their coffee you know? And Irene needs you right now, so please go see her. She's really excited to see you."

Wendy rolled her eyes once more. She headed to the dingy entrance at the back of the kitchen, the Batcave-esque secret entryway seeming more like a gimmick now. The lift doors opened, and there Irene was, still in her stiletto heels, clutching two glasses of red wine. 

"Meiomi Pinot Noir, your favorite."

"I swear you are exactly like a stalker. But thank you." Wendy said, gratefully taking the glass from Irene's hand. A good wine, exactly what she needed. 

"How did you know I liked this wine?" Wendy asked, taking a sip.

Irene smirked, setting her glass down a table she sat on.

"Through your extremely cute blog. Username, WendyLovesOlaf. Some of the cutest posts I think I have ever seen."

Wendy was gasping for air, clutching her stomach, which sent Irene into a fit of giggles.

"I especially love your review of Frozen. That was so cute. 'Elsa is QUEEN I swear she could step on me and I'd-"

"EEEEEEEEEENOUGH!" Wendy covered Irene's mouth, leaving a stain of matte lipstick on her palm. 

Irene removed Wendy's hand from , that heartwrenching smile still on her face. 

"Can I kiss your lips instead?"

Wendy stepped back from Irene, clearing and brushing down her clothes.

"Le-let's get down to business."

Irene nodded, removing her jacket, which sent Wendy into a flustered panic.

"NO-NOT THAT KIND OF BUSINESS."

Irene tilted her head, a little pout forming. 

"Aren't we going to talk about that evidence you just got?" Irene said.

Wendy halted. Right.

"Yup, you're right. Let's get to work."

Fun time was over, which Wendy was a little sad about deep inside, but she didn't know that.

Irene took out a laptop, showing the screen.

"What the..."

"Yup. I have every single file, every little document the NYPD has, and more." Irene smiled.

"I know more about the police than the police knows about themselves. I could cause so much chaos with this, you will not believe."

Wendy stared blankly at Irene.

"I should arrest you."

Irene returned the stare.

"Where's your badge?"

Wendy snorted.

"Touche."

Irene loaded up the recent Forensics scans that had taken place and up came the very latest one. 

"Looks like that rubber glove was a dud, again. Police issued, but other than that it leads to nothing." 

Wendy tutted. She buried her face in her hands. 

"Killer could have easily gotten them from a black market source... any source." Wendy sat back in her chair. "Let's start by investigating all known organizations that have used police equipment in the past. The mob, anybody."

Wendy now put her head on the table. She was getting fidgety. If this person had managed to get their hands on these kinds of equipment, then it probably wasn't some average Joe of the street. They were more powerful than Wendy thought. She frowned.

Wendy felt a soft hand ruffling through her hair. She was Irene smiling back at her. 

"How about you get some sleep darling? I'm sure Yerim needs company at home. It's been a long day, go back and get some rest. You deserve it."

Wendy stared. This girl, who she barely knew for more than a few days, was showing her more love than anyone else she knew for the last 4 years. Wendy didn't want to think much of it. After all, this Irene seemed like just a flirt in general. But, maybe, just maybe...

"You're right. I'll see you tomorrow then." Wendy stood up from her chair, heading towards the elevator. She gave a quick wave and smile to Irene, who returned it.

"Don't miss me too much."

Wendy rolled her eyes for the final time that day.