Woori (Us)

A Beautiful Tomorrow

Young froze for a long while.

 

Her emotional self resents her for pushing him away. Her rational self forbids her to become a third party who destroys relationships. For she personally witnessed one of such tragedies which happened to her close college friend’s parents. And how devasted the victim was. She wouldn’t allow herself to be the cause of any harm to him.

 

She returned to her house and seemed to feel Park is still there.

 

She walked to Pan ya and started to clean up. She knocked and banged down some things.

 

It is only so recent.. but so true.. that feels so real.. that she is so comfortable with him and wanted to see and be with him. But.. Yes, it feels so painful.. yet, she needs to contain it.

 

She gave up cleaning in the late afternoon and went to the supermarket. She went in her hoodie and cap as she is not in any state to meet anyone.

 

However, once she walked into the supermarket.. she knocked into Yoon head on, someone she didn’t wish to meet, at least not today, not when she is physically weak and emotionally hurt.

 

Nevertheless, they there is no-where to hide.

 

“Hello!”

 

“Hey. You look pale, Young. Are you okay?”

 

Young smiled weakly. “Yes, I am not feeling too well today. You are here alone? Where is .. … Park?” Why did I ask? As I don’t think I can stand it if I see them together now .

 

“Park? I am not sure. I did see him in school this morning. That big kid. (She smiled)”

 

“Kid?”

 

“Ohh, I know Kwang and Park since I was one? These tall guys are all kids in disguise.”

 

Only then, she understands from Yoon that Park, Kwang and Yoon are childhood friends. There is some relief.

 

“Ommo, I am running late. See you again!” Yoon ran off to pay for her groceries.

 

...

 

It is twilight.

 

There is still no call from Park, no text message from Park, no visit from Park.. there’s nothing at all. Young drags her feet home as she is not  particularly looking forward to a home that is full of recent memories of him tonight.

 

She feels hot too. She turns into the beach area, planning to breathe in some cold air first.

 

 

Park is just as listless and almost lifeless for the entire day.

 

He walked out of the teachers’ bath facility. The cold water from the shower cooled him down and cleared his mind.

 

“Park. Park! PARK!” then, he realised someone called him. He turned around.

 

“Did you clear the air with Young?” Kwang asked as Park looked at him. “No need to reply. I can see the answer from your blood shot eyes.”

 

Park has already regretted to have just left like that that morning.

 

I should have been more patient. Should have been…

 

“Be a man and go tell her. Is it worth standing here doing nothing?”

 

“Yes, you are right. (Nothing comes out of nothing.) I shouldn’t have left the way I did.”

 

Park’s phone rang.

 

“Is this Mr Park?”

 

“Yes”

 

“This is Doctor Kim. I usually call the recently discharged patients to check on their condition. I am calling you now as I couldn’t reach Ms Young. Are you with her now? How is she?”

 

“I… I am not now” “She was generally fine yesterday. Just a lot of coughings at night. She felt better after the using the inhaler.”

 

“That’s common. Continue the medication and use the inhaler if necessary. I checked her past medical records that her immunity is low due to overworking in the past few years. Anyway, do monitor her condition closely as she is still weak. Let us know if she coughs excessively. I’ll call again. Please come for the review on Saturday morning.”

 

“Yes. Thank you.”

 

Park stared at his phone.

 

He is so upset with himself.

 

Kwang drove him to Pan ya. “I know you since we are kids. I can see how smitten you are with her. Go tell her how you feel exactly.”

 

Park nodded mechanically. There are so much thoughts running in his mind, with guilt leading the way.

 

On the way there, it started drizzling lightly.

 

He saw a familiar silhouette, with dark cap that is decorated with big eyes, walking towards the beach.

 

“Stop, Kwang. I’ll alight here. Thanks.”

 

He ran up and tapped on his back. Lost as he is now, he still wanted to tell him how much he has appreciated this man’s kind gesture that night, at the time of his need.

 

He turned. No, that’s a she.

 

And that’s no other than Young!

 

“Young!”

 

He didn’t even think for a second. He pulled her into his arms.

 

She felt her heart falling back into place, piece by piece.

 

Park said, “Sorry, I shouldn’t have lost my temper. I am sorry. (He looked into her eyes) I miss you. I miss you.”

 

“I am more sorry.”

 

Darkness started to fill the horizon, with occasional stars twinkling in the sky.

 

Their eyes are in close range of each other, with their noses touching. He whispered something into her ears. She smiled.

 

They are elated to see each other.

 

He touched her face and then her neck. “You are very warm, you know. Did you forget your medication?”

 

“Med?”

 

“Let’s get you home.”

 

She took her medication on her bed.

 

“Park.. “

 

“You are tired. Sleep.”

 

“Please take care too. You rest too”. She paused “and..”

 

[Reverie to his whisper in her ears at the beach, “Yoon is only a friend whom I known for a long time. And that’s all!"]

 

“Yes”

 

“Can you stay with me?” she asked.

 

He squeezed her hand in consent.

 

He slept on a sofa bed, opposite to her platform bed.

 

He is astonished to find out this way that she is the one who saved him that night. That silhouette, that dark cap with big eyes, he cannot be wrong. He shouldn’t have mistaken him as a man, for “he” is relatively short and a man usually wouldn’t choose such a cap design.

 

Now, he is thrilled that she asks him to stay. Looking at her sleeping form, illuminated by the dim night light in her room, all his mind wanted to do now is to join her. He held onto himself. No... He told himself.

 

Looking, thinking and also being weary, he fell into an exhausted asleep, close to a lady that he is very much concerned about.

 

He woke up early. Greeted by her warm gaze.

 

“Let’s have breakfast.”

 

“What are you going to do today?”

 

“Clean up Pan ya. I were too distracted yesterday and broke a couple of things.”

 

“Don’t overstrain yourself. I’ll come in the afternoon to help you” he smiled. “Text me the things you need. I’ll get them for you on the way here.”

 

She smiles. How he loves to see that, especially when that is for him.

 

His footsteps are much lighter today. His heart feels like flying. He is ecstatic.

 

After school, he returned home to clean up, changed and got to Pan ya. On the way, he spoke to Halmoni to check on her and her trip.

 

Young greeted Park cheerfully at Pan ya.

 

He touches her forehead. Feels cool. “Good!”

 

“I feel fine today. Don’t worry.”

 

“I care a lot about you.”

 

They worked in silence for a while and ate dinner together.

 

She walked into her porch. He followed. He covered her with his jacket and turned her around.

 

“Young”, he enveloped her hands in his.

 

Young looked at him.

 

“I realised something last night.”

 

“Which is?”

 

“You recalled the man who saved me on the night of the accident?” She nodded “That’s a she, not a he.” “That was along the road to the railway station, in  …”

 

He looks into her eyes, nodding slightly....

 

She looks surprised. “So, you are the one I saved?”

 

“Yes and thank you”

 

He hugged her. He moved in, bidding to feel her lips.

 

He felt her fingers on his lips instead.

 

He opened his eyes.

 

“I am not well. I don’t want to pass it to you.”

 

Park don’t know whether to laugh or cry at her reply. He is happy for the concern she has for him. Meanwhile, he also feels somewhat deprived.

 

He placed her on her bed and sat beside her.

 

“Good night.”

 

“See you when I open my eyes tomorrow.”

 

“That's cheesy.”

 

“You brought out my potential”, Park planted a gentle kiss on her forehead. She smells lavender and totally heavenly.

 

Contentment. Love. Happiness.

 

Gradually, sleep overtook their minds and bodies.