Us?

A Beautiful Tomorrow

“Young, I’ve settled your discharge matters and collected your medication. Nurse will be here to teach you how to use the inhaler before we leave”, Park said.

Nurse walked into the ward to teach Young. She stole a look at Park, who seemed to be as interested as Young to learn about how to use the inhaler.

Young bide goodbye to Doctor Kim and visited the washroom before she left the hospital. She overheard the nurses gossiping about how devoted Park is. She feels her face blushed.

Park had borrowed Kwang’s car. That’s not the way to Pan ya. “Where are we going, Park?”

“We have some lunch first. Then, I’ll send you home.”

"No. Park, I .."

Park can feel her protests coming. "Lets have lunch and get you home."

She knew from the last couple of days that Park will not budge an inch, even if she protests. She closed her eyes.

“Young, we are here.”

“Young, how are you?”

“Granny!”

“You have lost weight. Let’s pump you up!”, Granny said, “Park, I forgot to get spring onions. Can you get some from Auntie Kim next door?”

“Sure.” Park answered.

“Sorry to trouble you, Granny. I didn’t know Park will send me here. “

“No problem at all. We have to eat too. I just cook an additional portion for you”, She tapped on Young’s hands.

Young walked past Granny’s room and noticed an old picture on her desk.

Granny looked up.  She walked over and took the framed picture out. She cleaned it lovingly with her sleeves. “This is my husband.” A tall man garbed in army uniform. “So handsome, isn’t he?” Young smiled and nodded.

Granny smiled as she sat on one of the squarish wooden chairs at the dining table.

Park entered the kitchen. He expertly washed, sliced and added the green onions into the soup. He placed the dishes on the table. “Lets dig in!”

“Its samgye-tang! “Thank you, Granny!”

“Call me Halmoni.” Granny smiled.

“How do you know?...” Granny’s gaze turned to Park and Young understand it straight away.

Park felt that his intention has been exposed somehow ... “What were you chatting about just now?” Park asked, attempting to change the topic.

Granny is still looking at her picture, “About him.” Park nodded.

Young observed that Halmoni looked at the framed picture lovingly.

Annyeong! That is Young!"  She placed the frame on the dining table, just beside herself.  “This is my dear. (She tapped on his face.) Yes, he left. But he wants me to live gloriously, without guilt and regrets. One day, we will meet and be happy together again.”

“Halmoni!”

“I am old. That day will come. Be happy for me for I have lived long and well” She tapped on Park’s hands lovingly. “How I miss him.”

This is how Halmoni loves. Deeply. Openly.

She took a look at the two kind and beautiful people infront of her.  “Give each other a chance. Listen to each other. Feel each other… that’s how we started. And had a blissful life together.” 

Tears gathering in Young’s eyes.

“Lets eat,” Park patted Halmoni’s back gently, “Does Haraboji like samgye-tang too?”

“Correction! He likes everything I prepare.” They laughed.  “Although I have to admit that he ate a lot of awful food while I was learning culinary skills. He swallowed them all. He never complained.” Halmoni added.

They chatted like Grandpa is there at the table. It is just like he has never left. Grandpa lives in their hearts.

“Lets visit him one day. Young, will you join us?”

Young looked at Halmoni. “Dey (Yes)”

While Park cleared the kitchen, Halmoni joined Auntie Kim to a new spa in the neighbouring town. Their spa trip usually spans a couple of days.

“Lets get you home, Young!” Park took his big bag and walked towards the car.

...

“I have vacuumed your room yesterday. Take a rest first.”

Park marks his papers in the living room while Young rest. He prepares KongNaMulKuk (broth with bean sprouts and anchovies) for dinner.

Young wakes up and sees him cooking.

“Smells nice!” she said.

“Yes, hope it tastes nice too”. Park replied.

“and thank you. I don’t know what else to say”

He walked over, stood infront of Young.  “Then don't need to say anything. Just eat.”

His close proximity made her heart worked harder.

“Halmoni…” “Is she okay?” she stammered.

“What do you mean? About the conversation on Haraboji?”

Young nodded.

“She misses Haraboji. We chat about Haraboji as and when. That’s her way of remembering him. She still loves him. The love is in her heart keeps her going. She’ll be okay. She always tells me to live in the present, not to miss any opportunities, for we do not know what is in store for us if we fail to check it out.”

“Halmoni…”

“Actually, Haraboji was missing in the field once. Halmoni was so relieved that he returned alive. They treasured whatever time they had together. This is even more precious to them as it is their second chance and lifetime together, per se. They promised each other to lead a full life, no matter who should leave first. She was depressed for a long while after Grandpa died from illness. But Grandpa’s two lifetimes with her, her memories, Auntie Kim and me.. we helped her to carry on. Halmoni has no regrets as they had their two lifetimes together. Halmoni is strong.”

“Don’t cry, Young.”

“Miane (sorry)”.

“You rest early.”

“I still have some work to finish. I’ll lock up for you later.”

It is nearly 2am. Young woke up to get a drink.

The kitchen lights are still on?

She found him asleep on the dining table. She saved his work, switched off his laptop and covered him with a blanket. He must be weary as he didn’t move at all. She took the chair opposite him and looked at him for a long time. Her heart is filled to the brim by this man, who has affected her so much. Her hand is so near to his face, wanting to touch his cheeks, But… Why… No … She refused to give in to herself. She shook her head and returned to her room.

COUGH.. (loud and persistent coughings came from Young’s room) COUGH..

Park rushed into the room. He patted her back. He grabbed her bag, searched and took out the inhaler. He opened the cover and passed it to her. She inhales from it and feels relief almost instantly.

Park went out to get her some warm water.

She took some sips and sat panting.

They just sat.

The room starts to get brighter.

“Park!”

“Yes”

“It’s a weekday. You need to work.”

“I know. I’ll wash up and go.”

“Sorry. You didn’t sleep well because of me. Go back home after work. Ok?”

Maybe due to the lack of sleep. Maybe it is fatigue. Maybe he likes her too much and hence feels more sensitive.... Park starts to feel his frustration.

“Why are you pushing me away?”

“I .. I .. no.. “ She looked away.

“Look at me… “ Park held her shoulders. “If you don’t or can’t come to me, I’ll go to you. Do I mean anything to you?”

There is no answer. She doesn’t know how to answer.

He stood up, picked up his bag and laptop and left her house.

“Go to Yoon… “ Young thought.