Young and Latte

A Beautiful Tomorrow

 “I am going out, Halmoni.”

“Okay.  Take care” Halmoni replied.

“See you tonight. Do you need me to get anything on the way home?”

“No. I am all right. Just get home early.”

...

Park dropped by Pan-ya after school.

On Pan-ya’s sign board…

Energise your mind and continue your beautiful day..

With aromatic latte and freshly baked bread..

“Hello!”

“Yes?”

Park saw a petite lady emerged from the kitchen. His eyes illuminated.

 “Yes?” she repeated.

“Oh. Oh no. Sorry, I didn’t expect the boss to be so young.” Park answered.

“This is a small shop. I am the baker, not the boss. (She smiled) What would u like?”

He stammered, “Latte and bread (He pointed at the sign board)”

She smiled. “Sure!”

Park watched how she made the latte. Pre-warm cup from the top of the espresso machine, brewed the espresso, poured the steamed milk slowly into the cup to create the crema of the espresso on top of the cup.  Such precision and dedication.

Park held the porcelain cup with two hands. It is warm. Inhaled the aroma. Saw the latte art in his coffee. Took a sip. It is very good. It complimented well with the bread.

His core is warmed up. He feels energised. He is satisfied and thoroughly surprised by the exquisite latte and bread served.

Park made orders for the exclusion tomorrow. “The bread is for the Grade 3 kids. They are going for an excursion. Can I collect the bread tomorrow morning? Will that be too rush for you?”

“No worries. It’s okay. How many teachers will be bringing the kids out?”

"Three.", he answered.

She has a bright smile, looks cool in her short bob hairstyle and yet melancholy at the same time. She is not from this town. Why is she here? A small bakery which only earns basic living? He wondered on the way home.

“People come and go for a reason. Some you know and comprehend in time. Others are passerbys”, Granni say.

Young is on her way to the seaside when she saw a granny along the road, seemed to be panting. She approached the granny. Granny suddenly felt weak and almost sat on the ground. Young helped her to the side of the path and offered her her water bottle. Granny took a few sips of water and thanked her.

“How are you? Where are you going?”

“Home.” She pointed to a house near the stream. That’s not far. Young helped Granni back. Granni sat down to rest while Park walked in.

“Halmoni!”

She smiled at Park. “I forgot my medication and felt weak on the roads. This lady (Young, she offered) helped me back. “

Park nodded at Young and helped Granni into the house and settled her.

“Thank you, Young”, Park ran out as Young was on her way to the gate.

“No worries. You better get back in“, Young answered.

“You bake very well. Thank you for sending Granni back.”

Young smiled, bowed and left.

A few days later, Park is surprised to have fresh bread for breakfast at home.

Granni said, “Young dropped by to visit me. She left the walnut bread too. She is so pretty!” Park looked up and caught the sparkle in Granni’s eyes.

Park dropped by Young’s bakery. “Thank you very much.”

Young smiled. “Granni looked weak that day and I got extra bread.”

She has such a warm heart.

“Granny asked you if you are free next Saturday. It is her birthday and she would like to invite you over for a meal. “

Young looked up.. another customer walked in… while Park is waiting for her.

She noticed that he is still standing there.. “Yes.. I’ll be there.” She looked at him.

He saw her greeted, served the customer and returned to baking.

Young was so refreshing and different. So independent.

He walked out.. and it started to rain.

He looked at the sky a while and planned to dash out. “Wait!”, he heard.

Park turned.

Young showed up with an umbrella. “Here, take this. (She looked at him for an instant.) Take care so you can take care of your Granni.”

Young has surprised Park once and again. Young bowed and returned to her bakery.

 

He stood looking at Young's back view.

She wrapped the bread for his excusion individually for the kids’ convenience, even without being told. She also added 3 cups of latte to encourage the teachers.

She is warm, considerate, kind, and so special indeed. And somewhat so familiar. "Have I seen her before?"