Loss

A Beautiful Tomorrow

“Hi , Lovely. How are you?”

Park drops by Pan ya often. He learns the coffee brewing skill from her too. From the latte art he makes, one can see he has much more intrinsic artistic talent than her. His specialisation – latte heart. One day each week, he will brew latte hearts in Pan ya to share with similar minded customers. While honing up his skills, he is also lightening her load. Fundamentally, by doing that, he will be staying close to her for the entire day.

In the quiet afternoons, he loves to take the corner table which overlooks a small garden, to grade his students’ work, plan his teaching work... Halmoni has also generously shared a few pots of her precious flora to add life to that little oasis outside Pan ya.

They will chat long into the afternoons, when her bread is baking, when there are no other customers, when he looks up and sees her surfing the net, browsing ideas for new bread recipes. She usually bakes two kinds of bread/pastry daily and changes part of her menu weekly. When he revealed to her that his favourite nut is almond, and she attempted to incorporate that nut into the bread she is planning to make. He has weird ideas of putting creamy potatoes and citrous mandarin into pastry. They experimented with it together and is pleasantly surprised that that is palatable.

She usually drops by his house for breakfast every Sunday morning.

“You are here!” he met her at his door and kissed her gently on her lips. She smiled radiantly while handing him a bag of freshly baked bread.

“Where is Halmoni?”

“Still sleeping? I just woke up (he glanced into the house) and she is not in the kitchen.”

“We can eat out then..”

She walked into Halmoni’s room. A while later, she shouted, “Park, call the ambulance! NOW…”

 

 

 

Halmoni has passed away peacefully in her sleep.

A loss is a loss, regardless of reason and cause. That left Park in shatters and dismay. Young, Yoon and Kwang walked with Park, accompanied him till the end.

She saw him, physically haggard, almost withered and practically inconsolable. Her heart went all out to him. She felt the pain and couldn’t imagine how much more times is the weight that he has carried in his heart. She doesn’t know what she can do to comfort him, other than being there for him.

She followed him home.

She took a step towards him and pulled him into her arms gently. She patted his back, “ I ..I’ve been through similar. I can’t say I know exactly how you feel.. but it was like the whole world has crushed for me then … Regardless, Halmoni wouldn’t want to see you like this… Why not go to my place for a few days?” She tried to offer him something to get away for a while.

She felt his tall frame shuddering in her arms, like he is going to fall.

“No. There is no need.“ His voice is cracking.

Her weepy eyes met his sunken, almost hollow ones. “Please... stay with me.” She squeezed his arms tight to ensure that he has heard her plea. ... Slowly, he nodded. She packed some of his clothings and necessities into a duffel bag.

They held each other hands and walked home. His grip was tight. He didn’t say a word in that journey. In fact, he didn’t anything much in the past week. He is still in a state of shock.

He was worn-out. He curled up like a child and fell asleep on her bed.

At least he looked relatively at peace. She covered him well with blankets.

She checked the doughs in the kitchen and sat down on her sofa bed, facing him. She looked at him and felt her heart all squeezed and tangled up from that familiar pain. Tears gathered in her eyes. He would be feeling much worse than her… She has to assemble all her strength to support him. She hopes she can help to soothe some of his immediate agony. Experience tells her that grief stays and seeps in … what she can do now is to stay with him, gently, silently, patiently.

Looking at the distressed him, she seemed to have seen herself, her much younger self. When her grandaunt left. She was all by herself then. She utilised the small amount of money left to pay for her university tuition fees. She worked part time to keep life going while studying. Then, she walked through that barbed path very much by herself. She is not sure if she has ever walk out of that.. she still misses her now. Eternally grateful. For if there is no grandaunt, she is not sure who and what she will be now.

She heard him mumbled something in his sleep. She touched his brows. He is burning up. She sponged his forehead and body, then woke him to feed him medication. He fell asleep again, on her lap this time. She covered him properly, hummed him an oldie, one which her grandaunt used to sing.

He woke up momentarily and was greeted by her face, which was so close to his. Her eyes were closed. He was lying on her lap, meeting her face that was right above him. She was so close that he could see the little imperfections on her, that little mole on her right cheek. Trembling slightly, he raised his hand to touch her cheek. Halmoni, you must have sent her to me, right? He felt some wetness on his own face as his lids closed. He held on to her hand like if that is his only lifeline.

In the next couple of days, she brought him to nearby towns on rail, walk around, just to get away. It is hard to uplift a downcast spirit. She tried regardless of the acuteness of the uphill task. She made the decision to walk by him.

When night falls, she puts him on the bed, assures him that she is always nearby.

She meets Kwang and Yoon.  She teams up with Yoon to search for activities that may interest Park. Yoon gets down to the searching work as they talk. She seeks Kwang’s help to get Park to exercise again. Kwang suggested that she can pick up badminton, so all of them can spend time around Park.

All take turns to be near him.

One Sunday afternoon, she drove him to the outskirts of Seoul. They passed by “The Quiet Room” but it was closed. They understand from the baker next door that bookshop’s owners are on a long vacation.

Their next stop is at a bakery. He felt it once they walked in and sat down, “The décor of this place is so similar to Pan ya.”

“Yes, I worked here when I was young. Earn enough to keep life going.”

His head down. He covered her left hand with his right.

“I like this place.”

He acknowledged.

“Even when I was not working, I am usually here at night during my university days. I usually study at that corner table (she pointed). The café was much less crowded then.”

She topped his right hand with hers, gently moving her thumb to massage the back of his hand.

“I was scared of the dark. Grandaunt used to switch on the living room lights, like she’s welcoming me home.. The house was always dark after Grandaunt left. . (She inhaled) Initially, I can’t bear to return home. Whenever Eun is not available, I’ll always be here at night till the shop closed for the day. This cafe is the setting for a lot of my memories. (She glanced around longingly.) I don’t mind working at night, even when I am not duty. The lady boss is very kind. She always fit my work schedule around my classes. Step by step, I pulled myself together. That took quite a while. (She sniffed as she continued massaging the back of his hand) …. But the first step, you have to step out yourself (She looked at him) and I am right by your side.”

Their foreheads touched. Her misty eyes met his dewy ones.

“Let’s take a walk.” They strolled by the Han river in the evening.

Gradually, orange rays reflected off the surface of the waters in all directions. Lavender clouds started to fill the skyline, covering the first stars of the night. As the sunlight receded, warmness of the day was replaced by the coolness of the night. Twilight removed the vivid colours of the day and transformed the land into a scene from a monochrome movie.

There was an outdoor movie screening under the stars that night. Movie goers filled up the turf, in anticipation of the airing. They sat on the carpet grass and waited for it to start. They saw the title of the movie. She asked tenderly, “Are you sure? (She waited a while.) Don’t push yourself too hard. We can leave now, if you want to.” She comforted him.

He rubbed her hand gently against his chest. His eyes closed, felt the back of her hand with his chapped lips for a while.

He remained seated, while holding her hand near to his heart.

In the twinkling lights, they sat wordlessly for the next 120 minutes. While he watched the movie, she was mostly looking at him, observing him and his reactions.

They returned home in silence.

In the middle of the night, she felt him quivering.

“What’s wrong? Tell me.. Talk to me!” She almost dragged him up, met his tearing eyes and hugged him tight, really tight..

He sobbed, in waves, he sobbed. He cried unceasingly in her arms, hands clutching at her t-shirt. .. She held him in silence, rocking him slowly as the floodgates opened and his tears poured. She felt like her heart has shattered with his. She wept with him.

He has held that in for way too long. He is finally releasing part of his pent-up emotions.

Thereafter, they stood at the porch for a while. She wrapped a jacket on his shoulders. “Cold?”

“No.”

He sat on the floor. She followed suit.

He looked calm.

He seemed to be focusing at the flora in front of him. “You know I was a naughty little boy? I always manage to get myself into trouble and hence, got Halmoni into hot soup. She has been kind, accommodating and figure out ways to educate me. Later, whenever I don’t get into trouble for a week, she’ll walk me to the convenience store near the railway station to get me my favourite ice cream. That’s always the happiest moment of my week.”

He continued to stare straight into the dark horizon…

“Once, I couldn’t recall how or what, I got so cranky that I messed up some of Halmoni’s favourite pots of flowers. She didn’t reprimand me. She took a lot of time and tried to talk sense into me. Later, we replanted that two pots together.”

“That two pots - Halmoni’s precious possessions?”

“Yes.”

He took a deep breath.

“Watching THE NOTEBOOK just now reminded me of how deeply Halmoni lived and loved, just like Noah. How glorious it had been. Life has been hard and filled with challenges, ending wasn’t perfect, but the fact that they truly loved in life which had been their goal, has in turn created their miracle. I guess they are contented.”

“Yes.”

He looked so frail that he was going to wither anytime.

“Let’s rest.”

He had a long day.

...

He has not been eating much. She prepared their meals, added variety to his food, in a bid to increase his appetite.

He is greeted by a familiar aroma that originated from her kitchen.

“Hey!”

She is quick to notice that he has shaved, and there is a light smile on his face this morning. The smile, that's like the gentle sunshine. That’s something that has deserted his usually chirpy face for a while. That is a sight that she missed so much.

“Smells nice.”

"Yes, hope it tastes nice too", she smiled brightly, “Help me get 2 bowls of mixed grain. Lunch will be ready soon.”

He placed the utensils and partially-filled rice bowls on where they should be. He took a seat and watched her breezed around her small open kitchen. She is facing the stove, diagonal to the window. Sunlight shone in at an angle through the windows, casting a hollow of yellow rays all around her. Divine, is her.

She covered the pot of sizzling hot stew and shifted it to the table. When she lifted the pot’s cover, some trapped steam in the pot escaped rapidly and got her hand scalded in the process.

“How could you be so careless?” He immediately placed her hand under the cold running water. He carefully put crème on the reddish areas of her hand.

“How do you feel? Is the area still painful?” He looked visibly upset.

“It stings a little. But I am okay. Let’s eat.” He looked forward to be with her although he wasn’t particularly hungry for anything.

She tried the stew. She scooped some rice and stew onto his spoon, inviting him to taste it. He picked up his spoon and put into his mouth .. tasted so close.. that is?

“Yes, Halmoni’s handmade kimchi”. She moved to take the chair beside him, held his hand and added, “It has been a while. I know you missed Halmoni. But she would like you to live a life…”

His eyes turned red. She wants to comfort him, to share the pain that he is carrying..

Half tearing, half sniffing… he started his lunch. Simple and familiar tasting food. He is touched. He felt the warmth seeping into his being, gradually spreading to thaw the coldness inside.

She is glad that he has started to eat. She takes bigger and more mouthfuls, in an attempt to encourage him to have a few more bites.

Taking a baby step each day, he gathered himself together.. much to her, Kwang and Yoon’s relief.

 

 

 

Special Credit - "The Quiet Room" to MyZyanya.