Confession

A Beautiful Tomorrow

Doctor Kim, “All looks good now. Rest and eat well. Do some light exercises like walking and hiking. Build up your immunity. You should do fine.” She stole a glance at the attentive Park, who is standing at the door.

 

“Thank you, Doctor Kim.”

 

“See you in six months’ time. Remember to always keep the inhaler in your bag.”

 

“Lets’ go for a walk, Young.”

 

He saw a really nice pair of hiking shoes “Shall we go hiking?” He bought her the pair of hiking shoes.

“You don’t give shoes for presents.” She bought the matching pair of hiking shoes for him as an exchange.

 

They got her some groceries and took a short walk by the beach before returning home.

 

“Thank you for taking good care of me. I can cook later. What would you like to have?”

 

He stopped at his tracks. She looked at him with questions in mind.

 

Park looked earnestly into her eyes, “You.”

(Source : Screen captures from SWDBS)

 

“Park, are you free this weekend? It is a long weekend.”

 

“Yes. “

 

“See you on Sat morning then.”

 

“Sure. What time?”

 

“I’ll tell you on Sat.”

 

 

At dawn on Saturday morning, Young delivered some side dishes to Halmoni. They chatted a while at the door.

 

“Good morning, Halmoni.” 

 

“Good morning!”

 

“Wow, we have new side dishes today! Thank you, Halmoni.”

 

“Young delivered them and a bag for you this morning.”

 

Park looks perplexed. They are meeting up later. Why does she send side dishes to his house so early in the morning?

 

“Young gave me some side dishes for lunch and dinner too. Anyway, she asked you to have full breakfast and read the letter in the outside pocket of the bag after eating! Have fun, boy!” Halmoni smiled.

 

Good morning, Park!

Do you remember where I first met that POTTER boy?

See you there!

Young.

Dress Code : Hiking Gear

Equipment : The bag I left for you

 

POTTER boy? .. Wizard. Oh, the school hall!

 

Park changed, took his bag, hugged Halmoni and rushed out of the house hastily.

 

He found Kwang waiting for him in front of the hall.

 

Young asked me to hand this box to you personally.

 

Park took the box. He read the note inside.

 

 I know that you have been looking for this Shakespeare book for a while.

This is not from the first print but I managed to find a copy

which is from the subsequent print run. Hope you like it.

Next, where did you first sponge me, my face, I mean :P ?

Young.

 

He looked at the old and well-preserved leather-bound book.

 

Thank you. I greatly appreciate it.

 

He said bye to Kwang and set off while Kwang strolled back to his office with his latte.

 

That’s … the hospital. He met Dr Kim’s nurse. “Hi, Mr Park!”

 

“Hi!”

 

Park saw Pan ya coffee cups on the front counter. Nurse took a box from the counter and handed it to him. “Ms Young left this (a small box) for you this morning. She treated us to these (pointing to the cups of latte) too.”

 

He opened the box and saw his MP3 player inside. The note reads,

 

Sorry that I listened to the contents of your MP3 player without your permission.

I like Mr Park too..

Next, where did I first serve you my favourite beverage?

Young.

 

No need to apologise, Silly.

 

Park shook his head. Pan ya! Hazelnut latte!

 

“Thanks, Nurse!”

 

Park reached Pan ya and saw two thermos flasks at the door. There is an attached note.

 

You have great memory!

Now, where did you first scoop me up?

Young.

 

Park walked round to the entrance of her house and saw a picnic basket.  He read the attached note,

 

Pack the flasks and basket and meet me at .. where I first fell into your arms.

See you there, Park.

Young.

 

He packed everything into the bag Young gave him and walked to the beach. A change of his clothings is already in the bag.

 

He spent the entire morning decoding and following the clues that she left behind. Those questions are easy as the memories evolving around her are of utmost significance to him.

 

An empty beach greeted him. He sat down to sip his piping hot latte.

 

Young hugged him from behind.

 

“Do you like the surprise? I hope you are not overly tired.”

 

“Yes, I love them. They are thoughtful. Thank you for the gifts.”

 

“Come. Board the vehicle. Let’s bring you somewhere before the sun sets.”

 

He placed all the things in the backseat of the SUV and took the front passenger seat.

 

“Where are we going?”

 

“You’ll see”, Young said as the SUV roared into life.

 

This is the first time he sees her behind the steering wheel. She looks cheery and confident.

 

She drives with ease on the rural roads while a soulful, male voice fills the background.

 

Young’s heart fills with delight to witness how engrossed he is with his leather-bound book.

 

“This is great! Thank you very very much! Where did you find it?”

 

“This is from a bookstore called “the quiet room” near Jungjang-ro. I got very lucky to have chanced upon the store and this book. The owner of the quiet room is very pretty. She bakes great too.”

 

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”, Park smiled.

 

They look momentarily at each other. “You are the loveliest in my eyes..”

 

The car deviated off the centre of the lane for a short distance… “Sorry, I need to focus” her eyes returned to the road.

 

She feels herself sweating in the cool weather. She shook her head. “Let’s stop for a break”, she said.

 

“Where are we going? .. How much longer do we need to reach there?” Park asked.

 

“Hmmm, around 30 minutes more. Let’s have a snack first. We will continue our journey in 15 minutes’ time.”

 

The next section of the journey is mainly on narrower roads. She drives slowly and carefully. The last five minutes is almost on unpaved roads as he can feel the uneven paths.  “We reached”, she announced.

 

Park looks up. She hands him a pair of sunglasses so that he can see in the glaring afternoon sun vividly.

 

She has stopped by the side of an icy lake, surrounded by mountains.

 

Stunning old trees lined the perimeter of the lake. Right by the side of the lake, near to where they parked, stood an ancient looking pavilion.

 

Charming. Secluded. Picturesque. 

 

“This is breath-taking! I never know of such a place. How did you find it?”

 

She saw him rubbing his hands together. “Wear it.” She passed him a pair of gloves.

 

She continued her explanation, “Last year, I found this gem while I was lost in labyrinth of roads. (She caught him glimpsed at her.) Don’t be alarmed. I have been here twice and am using GPS now.  I fell in love with this spectacular place.”

 

She pointed at the caravan camp behind them. “Let’s unload our stuff into our van. Then, we can take a walk in the mountains when there is still light.”

 

They hike on the mountain trails, pass by small streams to reach the other side of the lake. There, they are rewarded with a panoramic view of the entire lake.  “This is awesome. (He can’t stop taking pictures.. without her knowing that she is in most of them) Thank you, Young!”

 

“You are welcome. It will get dark soon. Let’s head back.”

 

They saw some markers on the way back. “There are other trails here.”

 

“Yes. But I haven’t tried them yet. We can try a trail tomorrow morning. OK?”

 

“Sure!”

 

“Come, let’s start a fire in the mobile pit. I love some marsh mellows that melts in my mouth.”

 

She is well prepared with ample food, water and desserts. The evening air was chilly. He took off his gloves and wear them on her hands. He took over the chef position while she prepared the beverages.

 

They can still see part of the lake. “There are water lilies here in the summer. “ she said as she looked into the horizon.

 

He recalled her collection of painting replicas in her house. “Yes, you have a replica of water lilies in your house. Do you paint?”

 

“No. I am not that artistic.” She laughed.

 

“Lily is a symbol of the Greek goddess Hera showing purity and innocence. Shakespeare used lilies as examples of purity or whiteness in the context of a beautiful complexion. Scientifically, lily is known as "Nymphaea” that is related to nymphs, who are beautiful maidens, divine spirits in Greek mythology. Lilies also symbolize resurrection in spiritual arenas as they close their flowers at night and reopen in the morning at first sunlight. “

 

“Why did you get the replica? Or you love water lilies in particular?”

 

“Ommo! (She laughed.) That’s a lot on water lilies!”

 

Park rubbed his head in embarrassment. Yes, I read up on it.

 

“I simply like Monet’s water lilies. The paintings are very expressive. It’s also the idea behind it that I like more.”

 

Park looked at her.

 

She held her warm cup of latte and added, “A French village struck Monet when he passed through it on a train. He was so inspired that in late 1800s that he rented a house there which later became his home, I think.  He painted the plant life on his property, ignored some authorities’ advice and remodelled the landscapes. His gardens greatly inspired his work. Water lilies is actually not one painting, its over 200 paintings. Spending so much time and effort to grow, observe and paint over 200 paintings on the same subject, how much dedication, devotion and love would that entail. That is the passion I love.”

 

Its Young’s turn to gaze at Park.

 

I recalled that night, the night I asked him to stay with me. It was still dark. Still half asleep, I opened my eyes briefly and seemed to see him looking dreamingly at me. He felt my forehead. “Don’t fall ill again.” He wrapped the blankets all around me and then shifted them all into his arms. “I love you so much.” I heard. I did not fantasize. His voice was at my ears, and his body warmth was just next to me.

 

Devotion. Dedication. These are two of the words to describe the man who is in front of me. How special he has made me feel. 

 

Stars glimmer gently in the midnight sky.  Bright moonlight casts a reflection on the tranquil lake. Nothing much is stirring and except for an occasional gust of wind in the trees and intermittent chirpings from insects. The main sound they hear is the sound of their steady breathings.

 

She entered the caravan and emerged with a mini Tiramisu cake. She lighted a candle on the cake.

 

생일 축하합나다. (saengil chukhahamnida) (Happy Birthday) Park. I hope you have enjoyed yourself.”

 

“Enjoy? That is an understatement.”  He couldn’t find enough and adequate words to describe... “ I am exultant, thrilled, pleased, glad… “ I really am. He breaks into a goofy smile and skips around a few times.

 

She is glad to see how happy he is.  

 

When words cannot fully express his feelings, he enveloped her in a warm hug.  He bent down to kiss her on her forehead, eyes, nose and then looked at her.

 

“I  …” he didn’t complete his sentence as he is blissfully silenced by her.

 

She just stood on tip-toe and planted a soft kiss on his lips.

 

He has been caught unaware. That is only a subtle taste of her. Feels sweet, warm, almost honey-like. Or is that marsh mellows?

 

He shuddered. Once is not enough. He craves for more.

 

His lips meet hers. He initiates his quest gently. Once, twice, thrice, .... As intensity builds up, urgency fortifies… His hands roam to her back. He pulls her closer and holds her nearer to him.

 

She feels nervous with his warm and well-built body snugged so intimately close to her. His insistent mouth probes and parts her trembling lips, savouring her and sending waves of shocks down her spine simultaneously. Her core melts. She is clinging on to him.

 

She responds earnestly and ardently, attempting to match his passionate demands.  

 

He is disorientated. She is dazed.

 

Both are intoxicated by each other.

 

They shared some intense and breathless moments in this serenity. Deep in the night.

 

Flushed. Gasping. They broke off from the kiss and gulped some much needed oxygen.

 

“You are freezing. (He rubbed her hands together.) You go wash up first. I’ll clear the things here.”

 

By the time he finished washing up, he found her asleep sitting against the headboard of the bed. She must have dozed off. She has been up before dawn. Always a step in front of him to enable him to complete his quests for the entire day.

 

He noted that she left a flask of warm chamomile tea for him on the bedside table. So considerate of her, always.

 

His eyes tender. He stared at this kind and beautiful lady who has truly captured his soul. His mind and heart overwhelmed with gratitude and love. He touched her features gently with his fingers, gave her a light peck on her cheek, covered her completely with blanket, off the lights and crawled into the bed.

 

 

 

 

 

Credit -  Usage of “the quiet room” in “Confession” to Myzyanya.