Park and Halmoni

A Beautiful Tomorrow

It is Granny’s birthday.

It is a bright morning. The sky is clear.

Young showed up in a pastel yellow sundress which is a vast contrast to the red, falling leaves. Above shoulder length hair, lovely big round eyes, she virtually glow in the sunlight.…. She brought freshly baked bread and hand-made Tiramisu. My Grandaunt used to love them.

They have a simple but hearty lunch.

Halmoni shared anecdotes with them. Park has heard them tens of times. He enjoys looking at Granny’s animated face and Young’s attentive look. He serves them hot citron tea.

Park talks about his life in the city and forthcoming performance that they are preparing for the local school kids now. Acting and performing teach kids the language and how to be expressive. It is time consuming to do the rehearsals but vital in the learning process. As there is not enough adult actors for the performance, Park volunteered to make a cameo appearance on stage. Young laughed. “What is your role?

“The wizard”, he answered.  (He made a funny face)

She laughed and complimented him. “A dedicated teacher.

The trickling stream outside provided the light symphony background music, Park and Young’s lively exchanges at the table … Granny is pleased. She is happier to see Park and Young chatting than that’s her birthday. Granny looks at them. There is a smile on her face.

Park wanted to walk Young home.

Young declined.

Granny insisted.

Young accepted.

That was a classic scene from the movies.

Two silhouettes walking on wet grounds left by the afternoon shower.

Young almost slipped.

And Park caught her before she fell.

“Be careful”. They looked at each other in close range. Some sparks flew. They seem to feel something. Something unusual in each other.

His throat went dry.

Her heart skipped some beats.

While reaching Young’s bakery, Park slipped too and that fall hit his recovering leg unfortunately. Ouch.

Young helped him sit down. She put cold compress on the hurting part and offered him hot chocolate.  “Put your leg up and rest a while. “

“Do you need a plaster?”

“No. I just need a rest.”

 “Why do you have plasters? You are too young to use them.”

“My grandaunt used to use them. So, I keep a pack at home."

“You are very close to your Grandaunt, I guess. Tell me about her.”

“She .. she is lovely. She is wise, kind and she dotes on me. She took care of me. Her culinary skills are out of this world… and Yes, she is definitely naggy and lengthy. (She laughed) Once, I almost fell into a body of water if she didn’t give me prior warning in time. I was too reckless, she said. She is just a great story teller while I am too quiet. We spent some years together.. although we are not really related by blood, she took care of me when there was no one else.. (tears accumulated in her eyes)…” “Excuse me..”

“I…” He didn’t see that coming. Did I ask the wrong thing?

“No.. its okay. I am okay.” “I just missed her, especially during festivals, holidays,  ..”

He hopped over. “Here”.. Lean on me, he wanted to say. He wanted to provide some comfort. Yet, he also doesn’t want to appear too pushy either. He thinks of what to say.

He covered her hands in his instead. She has such small hands.

“Come over to our place, whenever. I cook basic meals. Halmoni cooks better than me. (He looked at her) But we can spend time together. Or maybe pick up some culinary skills from Halmoni?” He offered. “We can play monopoly too”.. “Yes, that’s a kids’ game”.. Is that the best you can come up with? Two people playing monopoly?? He mentally kicked himself. “but its fun!”

He looked around and then offered her a tissue from her tissue box. “Here, I offer you a tissue.

“Hey, that’s from my tissue box!”

 “Yes. Sorry. I meant to crack a joke. Trying to lighten up the mood. Sorry that it is not funny.” He looked beaten.

“I appreciate that”, was her reply.

With nothing else he could do other than occupying her chair, they started to chat and found that they do have much in common.  Travel, astronomy, human anatomy, marine life, human traits……

And well, she can be opinionated too.

“By the way, there are a few other towns around here, all accessible by rail. Have you seen them?”

“No, not really. Bakery kept me on my toes.”

“Let’s visit one day. Shall we?”

She smiled.  “Shall I get you more hot chocolate?”

Both whom returned from the city have much in common. They didn’t meet before. But seems like they know for a long time.

 “Oh, what happened to your leg? May I ask?”

“I got involved in an accident. Luckily, a passer-by saved me..” Ting! Her phone rang and she walked over to answer it. “Excuse me.”