Gift

A Beautiful Tomorrow

Young is in her agent’s office. She is exhilarated to receive Seon Mi’s call. She especially bought some snacks and tangerines (fruits that are in season) and dropped it off the Quiet Room, before returning to arrange the monthly talk with Park in the school that he is teaching in.

She crashed into the Quiet Room not too quietly. Luckily, there was no other customer at that moment.

“AHHHH!!! You found the book! You found it! You are the BEST!”

“I can see that you are on cloud nine. My contacts found the book, but it haven’t reached me yet. I’ll hand it to you personally once I get it.”

“Thank you! Thank you so much! He’ll be so happy!”

“He? Park?”

“You have great memory!”

“You talked about him the last time you were here…”

“Well…”

“I see radiance written all over your face!”, Seon Mi added with a smile.

Young blushed beautifully. “ (She glanced at the clock….) Ommo! I need to run soon as I need to be back in school to set up the refreshments for the monthly school talk with Park.”

“Talk?”

“Yes, the primary school he is teaching in organises informal monthly cultural talks for the kids, the theme can range from painting to music, drawing, ceramics, tea etc. Today’s topic is Korean traditional costume, hanbok… we are still looking for next month’s speaker. If you know any interested volunteer on art, books or .. Oh, here are some pamphlets and the school’s number (she took the pamphlets out from her bag and pointed at a number). Interested volunteers can contact the school directly.”

“Sure. Be careful on your way back.”

“I’ll! Thanks again, Seon Mi”, Young gave her a big hug and dashed off.

Ha Jun overheard their animated and lively exchange when he is coming down the stairway, which connects Seon Mi’s apartment to Quiet Room. From the mid-point of the stairway, through the rows of book shelves, he caught a glimpse of Young and realised that she was the same lady whom he has seen in Jeju. Young darts off in a rush as he is walking towards Seon Mi.

He has taught before and interacting with primary school kids could be fun. So, he agreed to give the talk and Seon Mi is happy to contact the school for him.

 

 

Park and Young arrived in school by noon to arrange for the monthly school talk, which is scheduled in the afternoon.

Young is surprised that Seon Mi’s significant other is the accomplished artist, Mr Yu. She only knows that Seon Mi is married. As they are entitled to their privacy, it’s not surprising that they mentioned Seon Mi only as a ‘Ms Song’ in Mr Yu’s biography.

Mr Yu gave a candid talk to the primary school students and shared some funny anecdotes on painting. That was entertaining and appropriate for the young audience. Mr Yu accompanied them to the school garden pond, where easels are set up for them to try out drawing. He bends down to advise the kids, hold their hands and help them see, visualise, before putting the pencil or paint on the paper. Yong, the Principal’s golden retriever, kept circling around Ha Jun happily. He will bend down occasionally to smile or give him a pat.

Park is impressed that Mr Yu, at his almost celebrity status, is so down to earth, humble, friendly and approachable. His manners and patience make him a good mentor and teacher. He is amazed that the lady of Quiet Room, whom Young has mentioned numerous times before, is Mrs Yu. This is the first time he seen Mrs Yu. Other than the hairstyle, there is a certain level of resemblance between Mrs Yu and Young.

Park walked into the garden and saw Yong running around Mr Yu, wagging his tail, barking happily. Seems like Yong has known Mr Yu for a long while. It immediately ran towards Park, when it sensed his presence.

Park patted Yong, “I see that you have made a new friend today.”

Ha Jun looked at Park as he stood up. This is the man whom he saw at the exhibition. Following close behind is Seon Mi and Young.

Park extended his hand to Ha Jun, “Hello! I am Park. Nice to meet you, Mr Yu.”

“Call me Ha Jun”, he smiled.

They had a firm and hearty hand grip.

Seon Mi and Young joined them. Seon Mi and Young introduced themselves to Park and Ha Jun respectively.

The men looked at each of their significant other who are chatting blithely away, and then at each other. Some level of disbelief formed in their eyes.

“Do you happen to have a lost relative?” Park asked Young. Young mused and shook her head. “Seon Mi is much more charming and prettier than me…”

Ha Jun added after Park, “I do agree with Park that you ladies have a certain degree of semblance.”

 

 

 

On an afternoon a couple of weeks later, Ha Jun and Seon Mi showed up unannounced in front of Pan ya, when Park and Young are locking up.

“Hello!”, Young greeted them cheerfully. She hugged Seon Mi, just like long-time friends.

“Sorry, we didn’t call earlier.” Ha Jun apologised.

“It’s okay. We are going to his place to weed our garden… Do you mind taking a walk with us? We are preparing to have Galbi (pork or beef ribs, cooked on over charcoal in the centre of the table) at his backyard after weeding. He has a wonderful backyard and flourishing garden!”, Young extended the invite to them animatedly.

“Is it convenient?” Seon Mi asked.

“It’s more than convenient. It’s just us at home. (She smiles at him sweetly.) Do you have anything scheduled later?”, Young inquired.

Seon Mi looked at Ha Jun, and he replied readily, “Of course! I can help in the weeding too.”

So, Ha Jun followed Park home to start with weeding, while Seon Mi accompanied Young to the supermarket for additional supplies of marinated meat and sesame leaves.

“Seon Mi, would you like to get marinated pork or beef?”

“Pork. Is it okay?”

Dear loves pork. We ate so much grilled pork the last time we were in Jeju.” Dear? Ohh, yes, Park… Seon Mi smiled to herself, but she didn’t comment. 

 

 

Ha Jun is carrying a bag and a big, nicely wrapped package.

Park, “Do you need a hand?”

Ha Jun, “No. It’s okay…. (They walk into Park’s house.) I see you have a great backyard, a thriving garden and one full neat shelf of books too. Seon Mi will be thrilled to see that.”

“I am glad to share my books. I’ve read all of them at least twice. You are welcome to flip through them. Here, please place your stuff here (in the house). Can I offer you some of my clothing to change into as there will be dirt in the garden and you will be more comfortable?”

“Sure! Thank you.”

Ha Jun walked out after changing. There is a large table in the yard as well as a deck chair. A book and some writing materials are placed randomly on the chair.

Park has already started to weed the garden.

It’s almost sunset. The golden rays are warm, just nice for some light garden work. The men work in silence for a while.

Ha Jun notices that Park pays special attention to 2 pots of chrysanthemum. Some flowers are yellow, some are lavender. 2 blooms in that pot are unique, as they are part lavender and part yellow on each bloom. “That’s unusual.”

“Yes. These are my Halmoni’s treasures.”

“Is she staying with you?”

“She is… (Park pointed at his temple)..”

“I am sorry.”

“You are not in the know and that was a long time ago. Glad Young was with me then… Regardless, seeing how well her treasures have grown.. reminds us of her. We built this shelter especially for these pots. Lovely wants to add a bird feeding stand too (he pointed at a small empty area), to attract humming birds. We are still figuring out how to do it.” Park laughed.  Lovely? Ohh, yes… Ha Jun smiled to himself, but he didn’t comment.  

“Do you know the hoya rope plant? It has waxy, star shaped flowers, and smells like cocoa!”

“Is there such a plant? Would like to see it.” Ha Jun causally grabbed a piece of paper and pencil and finished sketching the outline within minutes. “Looks like this.”

Park’s jaw almost dropped at that instant, “You are amazing!”

“We have some at home. I am sure Seon Mi wouldn’t mind bringing some here the next time. You can grow it around the bird feeding stand. Hope the birds like chocolate too.”

“Thanks!”

“We are almost finished with the weeding. Wonder where the ladies are now?”

Park ran into his room to check his phone, “Young texted to say Seon Mi is engrossed with the books at the local bookshop and they are there longer than expected. They should be walking back anytime now.”

“That’s so Seon Mi”, Ha Jun smiled.

“Are you hungry? Lovely baked some chocolate lava cake yesterday. Would you like some? “

“Sure. I love to try it.”

The men heated up the sweet treats and brought them out to eat at the yard, while overlooking the garden.

“That’s nice. What are these?” Ha Jun is figuring out the identity of the little juicy and refreshing cubes in the cake.

“Pulps from various citrus fruits. Lovely’s new recipe. It’s great. That’s why I share it to you”, a big (and almost proud) grin appeared on Park’s face. Ha Jun cannot miss the glaring brightness that’s so apparent on Park’s face.

“Thanks!” Ha Jun gave Park a pat on the shoulder.

 

 

By the time the ladies are back, the men are sitting at the yard, chatting.

“Dear, can you get me some potatoes from the garden?” Seon Mi heard.

“The harvest is washed and placed on the baking tray near the oven.”

Seon Mi notes how Park and Young read each other, and how the look they share across the room renders the space between insignificant. The gladness and understanding that are projected and echoed in their eyes. Pure. Innocent. Intuitive. A feeling that is so familiar to her.

“Thanks!”

Young shows Seon Mi her baked potato recipe, something that her dear really adores.

“Your kimchi looks lovely too”, Seon Mi commended.

“Shall we make some kimchi stew too?”

“Sure, Ha Jun will love it.”

“Ditto for dear, Oppps, I mean Park.” 

“Arasso. You said that unconsciously for a few times already, didn’t you realise?” Seon Mi answered with a comforting and understanding smile. She touched Young’s hair briefly.

“… … I see that you cook a lot too, Seon Mi.”

“Yes, I do.”

 

 

“Guys, is the table setup?” The guys have showered. Ha Jun has changed back into his own clothing.

“Done!” Two tall guys assembled at the entrance of the kitchen, saluted to their respective ladies, and are ever ready to provide their humble assistance.

Ha Jun hugged Seon Mi from behind slightly, “Kimchi stew smells nice!” He notes that Ha Jun’s expression turns more relax and gentle when Seon Mi is around.

“That’s made by Young. She is so good.” She notices that Ha Jun touches Seon Mi’s hands tenderly as he speaks, maybe that action is intuitive.

Park and Young’s foreheads met briefly. He interrupted with a compliment for her, “Yes, lovel.. I mean Young makes the best Kimchi stew!”

Ha Jun and Seon Mi exchange a thoughtful glance. They see, read and experience it. The love, understanding and happiness that mirror in each other’s eyes.

“The Tiramisu and red velvet cakes that you make are heavenly too!” Ha Jun praised Seon Mi.

Park looked at Ha Jun, “Do you think we need to hit the gym soon?” Ha Jun flashed his big smile, “How about walking? Or trekking?”

“Lovel… I mean Young brought me to a lovely place for trekking before. It’s not that far from here. 2 to 3 hours drive maybe. Are you guys keen?”

Maybe Park didn’t realise that he has used Lovely several times unintentionally already. Ha Jun, “Don’t worry about us. Just speak like what you normally do.” Ha Jun and Seon Mi share a knowing glance.

The ladies laughed, “Are we all still going to stand here? Shall we talk as we eat?”

All helped to shift the food out.

 

 

It is a cloudless night and the face of the sky is freckled with little bright sparkles. They have a cosy dinner in the yard, accompanied by the full moon, gentle breeze and light fragrance from the surrounding flora.

“Do you eat outside like this often?” Seon Mi asked.

“We do at times. But tonight, is different.” Young answered, “Let’s look up..” They are greeted with a full moon. The difference is the moon looks slightly more bluish than bright tonight.

“We have a ‘blue moon’ tonight. That’s the second full moon in a month of the common calendar”, Park smiled, “It happens once in every 2 to 3 years”.

Young added, “What’s more special is – we have you to join us tonight!”

All laughed. “Let’s have a toast!” Their glasses met.

“Back to trekking, Ha Jun. You may want to bring some art supplies along, as there are lovely water lilies there!”

“Sure.. we’ll find a night with a full moon if we like to try night trekking .. “

“Talking about the full moon.. ”, Ha Jun and Seon Mi excused themselves from the table. They returned with the big, nicely wrapped package which Ha Jun was carrying earlier.

“We prepared this present for both of you.” Seon Mi told Park and Young cheerfully.

“Us?” Park and Young looked at each other.

“Yes. Open it!” Ha Jun added.

They accepted the gift with a thankful heart. The borders feel cold, so it must be a frame. They tore the wrapper off the gift carefully. It is a framed replica of “The Light I Need”, signed by Ha Jun.

Young is simply over the moon! She hugged and thanked Seon Mi. “I know you will love it.” Ha Jun has shared how Park and Young interpreted his work with her. She is also moved by the way they read and comprehend Ha Jun’s painting.

The ladies are topping up the drinks in the kitchen while Ha Jun and Park are in the yard, at the dinner table. “Thank you for the gift, Ha Jun. That’s very precious. That has made Young very happy.”

“You are most welcome. I have seen Young and you before and is amazed at how you interpreted my work.”

“Where?”

“In Jeju. “

Park ran through his mind on when and where Ha Jun could have seen them.. “At the exhibition hall?”

“Yes.”

“So sorry.. Maybe we were too engrossed, we didn’t notice you then.”

Ha Jun smiled, “No worries about that. Anyway, you wouldn’t be able to see me as I was behind you. What you said that day, on bloom, snow ... was it from somewhere, a book maybe?”

Park ran into his room to get his MP3 and plucked it into the portable speaker. A similar melody floated into the air. “It’s this song. Young loves it, because of the truth in it and also the hope in the last 2 lines. “

 

The Rose

Some say love, it is a river, that drowns the tender reed
Some say love, it is a razor, that leaves your soul to bleed
Some say love, it is a hunger, an endless aching need
I say love, it is a flower, and you, its only seed

Its the heart afraid of breaking, that never learns to dance
Its the dream afraid of waking, that never takes the chance
Its the one who won't be taking, who cannot seem to give
And the soul afraid of dying, that never learns to live

When the night has been too lonely and the road has been too long
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong
Just remember in the winter, far beneath the bitter snows
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love in the spring becomes the rose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxSTzSEiZ2c&list=PLMdcXCC-zGQF6_U7OKHJAOZWAV3CVBo8X

 

“You guys must have been through a long way.” Ha Jun commented.

“I am sure we all did.” Park smiled. “& I am glad that we made it”, looking in the direction of his kitchen.

Ha Jun nodded in agreement. “Although the road differs, the destination is similar.”

 

 

Slight rain falls in the garden.

“It’s drizzling. Hope Ha Jun and Seon Mi have reached home.”

“I have texted Seon Mi. They are on a cab, should be reaching home anytime soon.”

“Thanks. You can almost read me now.”

“They are really nice folks.”

“Yes. I agree. They are so down to earth. So similar to us. So atypical of the famous.”

“Come, dear. I have something for you.” She pulled him into his room.

“What is that?”

“Here…” Seon Mi has just collected it from her contacts and delivered it here immediately.

He opened a gift, the second time tonight.

The vintage book that he loves. It’s the editio princeps (first printed edition of the work). He is ecstatic!

 “Thank you very much!”

“Oh! No wonder Ha Jun refused to let me carry the bag that he was holding on to just now!”

“He did?”

“You bet!”

“Miane. I didn’t prepare anything for you..”

“Who said that?”

“Did I?”

“You give me great gifts, what you have shown and exhibited are far more valuable than those money can get…. From the almost very start, you carried me all the way almost reaching the hospital despite your injury; I saw and read what’s on your laptop screen while you fell asleep on my kitchen table; you give me inspiration when I can’t figure out next week’s menu; … (she smiled)… the week which they are changing pipes in Pan ya and I have to shift here, I walked home around the same time every day.. you were busy that week due to the exams. But I always catch you racing back on your bike, reaching home to switch on the living room lights, just before the time that I usually reach home… I feel so treasured, and appreciated, because of you…”

She touched his cheeks, “You know what the light signifies... It’s a home. That’s my loved one waiting for me..

“To me, home has a slightly different meaning. (He pulled her into a hug.) You recall the night after we first consummate our love?” 

 

He follows her into her house, right into her chambers.

“It is a long day for you. You are not going home to rest? Aren’t you tired?” she caresses his cheeks.

“Are you going with me?”

He closes in. Feeling her soft curves against his toned body. “We just ... this morning.”

“Does time matter?”

He hugs her tightly, placing her ears near to his heart, his head over hers.

“Do you hear it? Or am I the only one who feel the need?”

He is just sincere, just heartfelt. He has read and verbalised her thoughts.

She reaches for him.

On most evenings, just like this one, they will hold hands and rest together, to be by each other’s side.

 

To me, home is no longer a physical location. It’s where you are. “

 

 

She is still in slumber land.

He walks out the house in his lightest steps possible, with his haversack and breakfast bag. There is a note on it,

 

Sandwiches for my mighty knight.

There is enough for your comrades too.

Lovingly yours.

 

He walks into the staff room after parking his bike. He distributes the sandwiches to Kwang and Yoon.

“The sandwiches are cold, just the way you like them! Park, help me thank Young. She makes the best sandwiches!” Yoon smiled, picked up her laptop and darted towards her classroom.

“Ya, Mrs Kwang! You forgot your keys again!” Kwang shouted. Yoon turned around and caught the bunch of keys that Kwang threw in her direction. “Thanks!”

An envelope dropped out of the breakfast bag. “Who is mighty knight?”, Kwang askes as he reads the post-it, while munching his sandwich.

Park glances up. Kwang throws the envelope back at Park! “Do you guys have to do that? You have been together for ages!”

“Return the breakfast to me!” he pretends to close in to hit Kwang.

Kwang laughs as he flees clear of Park’s reach, “Thanks for the breakfast!”

Park opened the envelope. His MP3 is inside. “Updated playlist for my mighty knight. Enjoy!”

Sweetness. Contentment. Gloriousness. All stream into his heart.

He wonders when did she wake up to prepare all that?

 

 

“When are you both flying out?” Kwang asked Park.

“This evening.”

“Where to?”, Kwang queried.

Park, “US.”

“Honeymoon?”, Park is being teased.

“I seriously hope so.”

They exchanged a knowing smile.

Kwang looked at Park, “How’s your research going?”

“Done, while Young is busy making the gift.”

“Purchase?”

“Made.”

“Where will that be?”

Park laughed, “That’s in a notebook.”

“Book??”

“Yes.”

“How about implementation?”

“Well. That... depends very much on situational factors. I’ll think about it when I am there. I’ll come up with something. “

“Does she know? … I mean do you really need to go through so much trouble? As you already know the answer. In fact, we can all see it in her eyes, from the way she looks at you.”

Kwang doesn’t understand exactly how special she is to me. She deserves it, all of it, every bit of it, and I’ll give it all to her. “No, she doesn’t know yet. And yes, I need to do it.” This is my answer. Concise, non-debatable, and absolutely non-negotiable.

Kwang looks at Park, who seems to be lost in thoughts. He has seen the exact same look in Park a long time ago, on a night in the teaching camp near Jeju. 

“Good luck!”, Kwang gives Park a pat on the shoulder.

“Thanks!”

They took care of their plants in his backyard, checked that the water sprinter is in working condition, refilled the bird feeding house which is built by Young, inhaled the sweet-smelling cocoa from the plants, before leaving for the airport. 

 

 

That was a lovely setting, in the lush garden, full of greenery, laughter and love.

“He is gorgeous. Where did you find him?” Eun probed.

“YA! Today is your wedding. What if the groom picks that up?” Young took a quick glance around.

“Go ahead.. he knows he is not the most gorgeous around..” Young admired Eun’s confidence.

Before the ceremony, Young and Eun talked for a while in the bride’s makeup room.

While Eric, Eun’s fiancé, is chatting with Park outside the makeup room, the makeup artist drops by to remind the groom to get ready to proceed to the garden.

Both Eric and Park are surprised to see Eun and Young in tears when they walked into the makeup room. While the makeup artist fusses over Eun’s makeup and Eric askes how Eun is feeling, Park led Young to one corner and enveloped her into his arms. He whispers in her ears, “Emotional over the days that you were together? Caught in the reminiscence? Or maybe touched over the gift of your hand-sewn quilt?...” He feels her nodding and sniffing against his chest. “I understand..” He embraces her tightly while tapping her back, offering her comfort.

 

While the artist is touching up on her makeup, Eun witnesses how attentive is Park towards Young via the reflection in the mirror. She is touched. She is happy that Young has found someone for her, just like herself. She shifted her focus to Eric, when she felt his fingers on her cheeks, “Are you ready?”

 

After he released her, he cleaned the visible stains of tears on her cheeks with his handkerchief lightly.

Wordlessly, he guides her to the washroom. She emerges from the washroom looking much more composed. She shares with him, “When we were in high school, we promised to sew a King size patchwork quilt, with our favourite patchwork designs, and present that to whoever who should walk down the aisle first. I sewed for her, with our high school t-shirts as the centre piece. … We were overwhelmed just now...”

“Eun appreciates, that you spent such a long time learning and sewing the quilt. She found the one for her, and she is happy. That’s what matters.” He patted her hand gently, “Don’t cry. This is a good day. A fabulous occasion.”

He held her hand and led her back to the garden, where the ceremony is held.

 

She notes some stains on his white shirt during the cocktail. “Ommo.. Miane!”

“What is it for?”

“Smudges from my makeup..”

“Is there anything here? (He looks around, in an exaggerated manner.) This is the design of my shirt …  “, he gives her an assuring smile.

She kept trying to tap off whatever that is on his shirt. “But others can see.. it’s so obvious…”

“Yes, it’s clear to others that you can’t take your hands off me..”, he chuckled.

She hit him gently, “I am not joking…”

“Me neither.”

He sees at her apologetic look. But there is nothing else to change into now. “Why not we do this?”, he suggests.

She looks into his eyes, that is showing tints of playfulness and wits.

“You always stand, walk and stick very closely to my left. That’ll cover most of that… (he pointed).”

She stared, well, almost with daggers, at him. He returned her glare with an innocent (actually cheeky) grin.

That seemed to be the only viable solution. Thus, he got his way.

 

At the end of the wedding, Eun embraced Young and said in Young’s ears, “I am happy that you found Park. You must be happy.” Young tapped Eun’s back, “You must be happy too.” Tears welled up in their eyes again.  “We will be happy together.”

They bid Eric and Eun goodbye.

 

 

They drive west to the Great Smoky Mountains, to witness and feel personally, about the petite and simmering lights of hope, the fireflies, that they witness only on the crisp sheets of white.

In the dark and magical forest, they saw trails of floating lights, blinking all at the same time, thousands of twinkles, all around them.. like a reflection of the stars in the milky way, connecting them to the vast universe.

 

 

They drive east and arrived at New Bern, the other highlight of their trip. This is where the sunrise is, the swans are, the lake is, the wild is. It is breath-taking.

He serenades her on the boat, across the lake, in the brilliant sunset.

She was looking at him and forgot about the bag of bread in her hands.

When the swans spotted their food and made a dash for it, she lost her balance and fell. Along with her, he fell into the waters too.

They had a great dip in the lake, together with the swans.

The weather is great, company is incomparable.

 

 

He sneezed multiple times in bed. He pulled the covers up.

“Are you okay?”

“Sorry to wake you. It’s okay. Maybe I caught a cold. You return to bed.”, he tells her in the middle of the night.

She sits up, walks through the darkness, and returns with flu medication and warm water. She already got used to the dark. As her light is beside her, always bright and warm to lead the way, a night light is no longer needed.

“Here, take some medication first. You have a long day tomorrow.” It’s graduation day for the senior class tomorrow and he’ll be busy.

He took the medication obediently.

“Dear… how are you feeling? Are you well enough to go to school?” She gently massages his temple and wakes him up.  He stretches. He nodded as he opens his eyes.

“You look dreamy. Are you sure you are okay?”

“I need your TLC… “

She kissed his cheeks.

“… and you drugged me, lovely..”

She laughs out loud. “That’s for your cold, dear…”

The corners of his mouth curve upwards. “I am being drugged willingly”, he pulls her into his arms, burrowed his head against her tummy gently… She serves him breakfast in bed. Simple bread, cheese, potatoes and milk and he is off to work.

“Dear, there is a flask of warm citron tea in your bag.”

 

(Credit to myzyanya - For the edits and generosity.)