Lost

A Beautiful Tomorrow

“Good morning, lovely!”

 

She opens her eyes. She is astonished that his face is right in front of her.

 

She pulls the blanket up to cover her face.

 

He removed it. “Your face is very warm. Are you feeling okay? Did you catch a cold?” He attempts to touch her forehead while she shy away.

 

“I am fine. I am .. just not used to be woken up by ..  a man.”

 

He chuckled. “Then you have to start getting used to that.. Let the go of the blanket. Don’t deprive me of my privilege.”

 

She quickly sat up and tried to run. He hauled her back on the pillow with one pull. He plans to give her a proper kiss … Buzz.. BuZZ.. BUZZ … His loud alarm disrupted the atmosphere. They should wake up to prepare for their morning hike. He looks so quite defeated.

 

He went to the ranger office to get the latest map and register their whereabouts while she packed the morning’s hiking necessities into their bags.  Water, food, compass, sunscreen, first-aid kit, etc.

 

They have bread and his birthday cake as breakfast.

 

“Park, did you sleep well last night?”

 

“Yes. Never better.”

 

“Why do you look so .. so dreamy this morning?” He seems to be under the influence.

 

“Tiramisu is very sweet…” he continued giggling.

 

 Young tasted the Tiramisu. The proportion of Marsala and cocoa powder is just right. What is Park talking about?

 

They dressed in multiple layers of hiking gear, took their bags, studied the map before leaving the caravan in high spirits.

 

They studied the map again when they reach the Y junction, just to be sure that they get the directions right. It should be a comfortable three-hour hike. So, they will be back in time to check out.

 

The air was cool. Pines and deciduous trees lined the paths. Birds, butterflies, insects greeted them along the way.  It feels exceptional, as you have someone special to share that brilliant view with.

 

“What do you think we’ll see this morning?”

 

“Birds? Not a lynx, I hope. I am scared…” she giggled. Lynx are solitary cats covered with beautiful, thick fur. Lynx avoid humans and hunt mainly at night.

 

“We will be lucky to see those magnificent cats, as they are so rarely seen.”

 

Up in the mountains, they saw some river valleys and waterfall a distance away.  Some wintering ducks and geese are close-by.

 

Young saw something and pointed in a direction. “Are those white naped cranes? Those cranes with white head and red patches around its eyes?”

 

She leaped off and sprinted towards the birds as quickly and quietly as she can.

 

“White naped cranes?” He looked in the direction she is running.

 

They reached the water banks after a while. They looked and admired nature quietly in the lovely weather.

 

Later, they strolled along the banks.  “Let’s take a break. We have bananas and bread. Which one would you like? “

 

“What would you like?”

 

“Bread.”

 

“Then, I’ll take the bananas. “

 

“Young..”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Thank you for coming into my life. Please don’t push me away again.” Maybe he already has a feel of her. It’s harder to let go now. He hopes that he doesn’t need to.

 

She placed her palm on his heart. He responded by giving her a hearty hug. Time stood still for a while at this compelling moment.

 

She sniffed her nose and looked at Park, “Let’s head back.”

 

They packed up and have walked for a while. “Wait!” she said. “We didn’t pass by here just now.” He realises what she said is right as she speaks.

 

They scrutinise the map again.

 

“Sorry. My pursuit of the cranes got us off the trail!”

 

“Tracing and tracking the flora and faunas are part of the fun of trekking, isn’t it? How many times do we get to see those gorgeous birds? We will be able to get back on track. (He placed the map and compass together.) Let’s try this path.”

 

She looked at the map again, “OK.”

 

He held her hand tightly. They moved on for ten minutes. Checked the map, position of the sun, and compass again before proceeding.

 

Maybe she is focused on the look-out for markers, she stepped and slipped on some dirt at the turn.

 

Maybe his refluxes are especially sharp, or he is grasping her hand tightly, he catches before her entire being fell. He kneels down before her to dust the dirt off her pants. “How are you?”

 

“I am all right. Thank you.” She gave him a smile and pulled him up.

 

They continued.

 

After ninety minutes of cautious walking and checkings later, they found a marker. They are back on the trail.

 

“Phew! I am so glad”, she heaved a sigh of relief.

 

He opened the cap of the water bottle and handed it to her .. “Were you worried?”

 

“I promised Halmoni that you be back tonight. Halmoni has prepared your favourite food for your birthday dinner.”

 

“Halmoni is very understanding”.. … “Besides..”

 

“Yes?” She returned the bottle. He took a gulp and slid the closed bottle into his bag’s pocket smoothly.

 

“It come to my consciousness in the past hours that I was neither fearful nor worried just now.”

 

Puzzled by his words.. her eyes opened wide in anticipation of what he is going to say.  

 

He cuddled her into his arms, organised his thoughts and articulated. “I’ll always protect you with what I have, and what I can.” He looked at her fondly, with unwavering focus. “You may not know the level of guilt and regret I felt on that morning that I left your house in impulse and anger. I was so disorientated for that entire day. I knew that I had messed myself up. I was anxious and worried. In retrospect, while we were off the trail and have to figure our way out together just now, the feeling in me is distinctly different. I am alert and careful, but not worried. Strangely, I feel whole. I realise that it is because you are with me. “

 

He held on to both of her hands.

 

“Young, I am not afraid to be lost with you. I am afraid to be lost, without you.”

 

Tears clouded her sight.

 

“Don’t cry.“ He tipped her chin up with his fingers, kissed away her tears, and looked deep into her dark brown eyes, “사랑해  (Saranghae)”.

 

They hugged, as tight, as close, as they could.

 

 

They checked out late.

 

“Give me the car keys, Young. Let me have the honour to be your chauffeur today.”

 

She threw the keys in his direction. He caught them effortlessly. “I did basketball before”, he added with a wink. “My throw is precise!”, she countered with a smile.

 

The way back was scenic and non-eventful.

 

Occasionally, he will remove one hand from the steering wheel to caress her cheeks, hold her hand, or just to feel her hair. He is a man who is very deeply in love.

 

They stopped for some finger food. She remembered that the snack stall at this rest stop serves one of the best Tteokbokki (Korean stir-fried rice cakes).

 

She virtually hopped out of the SUV and ran towards her favourite snack! “Please give me some Tteokbokki.. “ Young ordered enthusiastically. “4000 won, pl” Where is my wallet?

 

“Is this what you are looking for?” Park asked, as he reached her. She nodded. He smiled. My little forgetful. He paid the snack for her. She offered him the first piece and he took it gladly. He is happy seeing how a simple snack has made her so thrilled. His heart melts. He has fallen so hard, so deep, so thorough.

 

They strolled for a while and bought some local dry food for Halmoni.

 

They stopped by his door. “Come in for dinner.” He has trouble letting go of her.

 

“I need to return the SUV.”

 

“I’ll return it with you later. I want to spend more time with you. I wouldn’t be able to see you for most of next week as I’ll be attending a teaching course in Seoul.”

 

He flashed his goofy smile. Just like a cute little puppy. His honey-coated smile dissolves her already weakening will.

 

But he has already spent the weekend with her. He should have some time with Halmoni too.

 

“Hmmm, we passed by a newly renovated spa along the highway just now right? Why not we bring Halmoni there this weekend? I’ll make the booking. (She smiled bashfully.) Then we can also spend more time together.. too.. “

 

His eyes illuminated and stole a kiss from her. He is totally and absolutely enchanted.

 

“Are you back?” They heard Halmoni’s voice nearby.

 

“Yes. We are coming in.” Park ran in and hugged Halmoni. “You have sharp ears!”

 

“Come in, Young!” Halmoni took a look at them. “Let’s start dinner.”

 

“Sorry, we are a bit late”, Young added with a slight bow.

 

“No problem.” She smiled.

 

Dinner is a happy and cozy affair.

 

Park is drying his hair at his desk, after sending Young home.

 

Halmoni knocked on his door and walked in.

 

“Happy Birthday, Park!”

 

She gave him a new badminton racket.  “Thank you.”

 

“Young helped me to get it.”

 

Park is amazed how much Young knows about him now.

 

“Park. I see that you finally get through to Young. Cherish her. I know you will. And I am very happy for you.”

 

“Halmoni! .. How?”

 

“I saw you two at the door. I regretted calling out for you before I see you.” Her smile kind, contented, her hand tapping his gently, “Are you guys free this weekend? Let’s visit Haraboji. I kind of miss him.”

 

“Oh. Young suggested to go check out a spa along the highway this weekend. We can spend Saturday night at the spa and visit Haraboji on Sunday. How does that sound?”

 

“Great idea!” Halmoni walked out his room.

 

He is still sorting his things and stacking up his notes.

 

He started to scribble on his note book.

 

He flipped through some earlier pages randomly…

 

Hear

My footsteps

Don’t push me away

 

Feel

My longings

Don’t mock at it

 

Touch

My heartstrings

Don’t pull them too hard

 

Whiff

My hope for us

Don’t block them

 

See

Me, Us

Don’t vacillate, for I am here for you…

 

 

He feels great now, energised and full of gratitude. His mind is on overrun mode. He jumped out of his chair, admired the beautiful crescent moon, and returned to his chair. Parting is such a sweet torture.

 

 

Young is here on Saturday noon. They had lunch and set off together.

 

The spa has a recent coat of paint and is equipped baths that have properties for detoxication, purifying, and lessening aches and pains. Young accompanied Halmoni for the baths. She gave Halmoni massages too.

 

Park was in the male baths alone. He wondered what Halmoni and Young were doing.

 

They had seafood delicacies for dinner.

 

Midway through dinner, Halmoni excused herself to visit the washroom.

 

A young girl, who is about five, is crying and knocked into the corner of their table.

 

Young helped the girl up and patted the area she knocked.. “Hush!”

 

She quickly took a mint sweet from the table and offered it to her, attempting to pacify her.

 

The little girl wailed louder.

 

Young looked at Park who took over.

 

“What is it, little girl?” he approached the girl as he squatted down beside her, so that they are at eye level.  He noted big tear drops in her eyes and some filth on her face and hands (maybe she fell down just now?), “Are you in pain?... “. He took a wet wipe from Young and cleaned her little face and hands gently.

 

“Okaachan (Japanese, casual form, for your own mother)!”

 

There are no adults around her.

 

“Doshimaaka? (What happened?) “ Young asked.

 

“Maigo ni nacchatta. (I am lost.)”

 

“Park, she lost her mummy.” Young explained.

 

He got some Pororo utensils from the staff for the little girl to play as percussion instruments. While Young accompany the kid, Park went off to inform the restaurant staff and check in counter team.

 

An announcement is made in both Japanese and Korean.  A worried looking couple come running to the restaurant to pick up their daughter.

 

“Domo arigato gozaimasu (Thank you very much)!” said the kid’s father.

 

“Dou itashi mae.  (Don’t mention.) Sayonara! (Good bye!) “Young replied. They waved goodbye to the kid. “Bye, kid. Be a good girl and don’t wonder off again..” Park said.

 

“Thank you for coming to my rescue just now”, Young said as she looked at Park, “I am never good with kids.”

 

“Are you aware? Your light tone and kind touch, together with the usage of her language, has comforted her a lot just now.  We are not born to know to know how but we can all learn. Kids have their basic needs. Try to understand and help them where we can. Imagine muddling around all those gigantic tables, enormous chairs and giant adults who tower over you and you don’t understand what they are talking about and you can’t find your loved one? Being lost is scary, send jitters down my spine ..

 

She smiled at him, “You sounded like you have been l..”  Their gazes locked. Her line is left unfinished as his expressive eyes has already delivered his heart’s response. Two pairs of eyes blinked in unison and understanding. In the warm restaurant lightings, her look is especially alluring and inviting. He realised he has not held her for a few days as he had been away while she was occupied with Pan ya. Subconsciously, he wrapped his right hand around her and pull her in close to him. He feels light-headed by the mild scent of lavender that is so close and so uniquely her. Instinctively, he wishes to brush his lips against hers..

 

Halmoni walked in and caught them in their close moment. His hand fell from her shoulders. Their cheeks flushed. They started to look elsewhere.

 

“Good night, Park.”

 

“Good night.”

 

Halmoni and Young share a room while Park procrastinates entering the adjoining room.

 

Young spread out the yo (traditional Korean mattress and blankets).

 

“Thank you, Young. You rest too.”

 

“I am okay.”

 

“How are you? Recovered?” Halmoni patted Young’s hands lovingly.

 

“I feel fine most of the time. As long as I am not overly tired.”

 

Halmoni held on to Young’s hands. “I am happy to see you and Park together.”

 

Young blushed. “Park is very nice.”

 

“Yes, I agree.  I am saying this not because he is my grandson. I say this because he is really a good man. Treasure each other.”

 

Young nodded, “Halmoni raised Park up very well.”

 

Halmoni gave Young a hug. “Good girl.” Feels so much like Grandaunt. Halmoni slept. Young arranged the blankets around Halmoni.

 

After lying down, Young tossed and turned many times.

 

Park paced in the adjoining room. He channel surfed a while, drank chamomile tea ..  he closed his eyes but sleep evaded his mind.

 

A long while later, he texted Young I am outside your room now. Is it convenient to meet?

 

Young sits up once she feels the vibration from her phone.

 

Once Young slips out on tip-toe, Park pulls her into his room. He enveloped her completely in his arms behind his door. “How I miss you.” He murmured while inhaling her light scent. Their hands intertwined as he peppered feather light kisses all over her cheeks. “What are you talking about?“ She asked breathlessly, “We have been together for the entire day!”

 

His left hand landed at the back of her neck while his right hand anchored her body close to his. He kissed her properly, thoroughly and fervently this time. Thereafter, she had to rest her wobbly head against his racing heart for a long while. They took an extended walk around the spa to calm their nerves before he escorted her back to her accommodation.

 

“Good night.” He planted a gentle peck on her lips. “Sweet dreams, Park.” 

 

They lay awake for a while.

 

[In his mind] Ottoke.

[In her mind] Ommo.

[In their thoughts] What have you done to me?

 

The next day, Park drove them to a park. They walked a distance. Halmoni touches a tree lovingly. Park and Young bow at the tree.

 

“Jagiya (my dear), I brought Park and Young here.” They are an item now. A very compatible couple, don’t you agree? She beamed.