My Park?

A Beautiful Tomorrow

Young felt better by mid-morning the following day.

She sat up, picked up a novel to read.

Doctor Kim walked in.

“How are you feeling, Ms Young?”

“Doctor. I am feeling better.”

“Let me check your vitals. …. Looks good. Has your coughings reduced? Any flem? “

“Less coughings. But there is still flem.”

“We are doing a culture of your flem, just to be sure. Results will be available in a week’s time. Rest more now. Take your medication. I’ll check on you again later.”

“Thank you”

Doctor Kim kicked into something on her way out. She picked up a MP3 player. “Here!”

Young took a look at the MP3 player. “That’s not mine.”

“Maybe that belongs to your boyfriend. “, Doctor Kim smiled, “He is a good man.”

Young looked lost, “Boyfriend?”

Doctor Kim smiled, “Your boyfriend was so anxious that he virtually screamed at our ER doctor on the night of your admission. When you are sleeping, he sponged your forehead, neck and hands regularly. Whenever your temperature went up, he asked nurses for help to give you body sponge. I heard from the nurses that he took this chair (she looked at a chair beside Young’s bed) for the past 2 nights. He almost didnt leave the ward.”

Young was not really aware that Park was there. Her heart feels warm. Park? No.. Yoon is there.. No.. Young has been alone for too long. She feels insecure. No.. Young stopped herself from further thoughts. No..  She don’t think and don’t allow herself to think that Park is here for her.

Later, she felt bored and saw the MP3 player. She placed the earphones from the MP3 player in her ears and clicked PLAY. A soulful male voice floated into her ears. Gradually, she dozed off.

Park is making Juk (porridge in Korean) in the kitchen.

“Halmoni! Lets eat!”

Granny tasted it. “Something is missing (Halmoni looked at Park), Park.”

Granny smiled. She walked over to the cupboard, took something and gave to him. “Here! Add this!”

Park washed the dried ingredient, added to the porridge, and cooked for a while. Halomi and Park had the porridge. It came out just right! Park saved a portion for Young.

“Park!”

“Dey (Yes)”

“You always make Juk for me, whenever I am not well, although you don’t always cook.”

“Yes” Park looked up.

Halmoni put her rough hands on Park’s softer ones. “Love what you fall for now. Let the future take care of itself.”

“Halmoni!”

“Many decades ago, I fell for your grandfather and I literally went after him. As I seemed to know its him whom I am looking for. Quite uncommon in that era though. (She laughed) Coming back to you, I don’t know how much you realise. But I can see the glow and change in you, Park. The change brought by Young. The glow surrounded by love. Go for it, Park. I can see that Young is a good girl. More importantly, I can see how serious and anxious you are.”

“Halmoni. I..” He didn’t realise it himself,, that he is so obvious. Halmoni stood up and walked into her room, leaving Park in thoughts.

A long while later, Halmoni walked out of her room. “Aren’t you going out?”

“Yes. Going to.” Park stood up from his chair.

Halmoni sees Park packs the Juk and warm citron tea in thermos flasks and heads out, “Bye. Halmoni!”.

She looked at Park’s back view and smiled. She noticed but didn’t tell Park that she saw his mild limps these two days. She pretended that she didn’t notice that in front of Park.

Park arrived at the hospital.

He saw Young asleep with the earphones on her ears. Oh, I left my MP3 here.

He touched her forehead. Fever is gone. He let out a sigh of relief.

He sat down. Thinking of his conversation with Halmoni earlier.

“Park!” Her voice broke his trail of thoughts.

“Yes” He helped her up.  “I brought you Juk and warm citron tea. Come, have some.”

“Thank you.” Young is touched. When was the last time anyone brought Juk for her? It’s a lot of thoughts behind the spoons of Juk. Tears accumulated in her eyes. Perhaps you feel more emotional when you are not feeling well…

Park saw her tears. “What happened? Are you in pain? Shall I call the doctor?”

“No. No need.”

Park passed her a tissue although what he wanted to do was to dab the tears away with his thumb.

He is happy to see her start eating. "Is there anything else that you like to eat?" Park asked. He is glad that she is eating more now, compared with the hospital provided dinner the other day.

She thought for a while.  In Seoul, there was a shop that sells great Samgye-tang (ginseng chicken soup) near her apartment. Coming to think about it, she had not had that for a long while. "Samgye-tang?"

Park smiled, "Having a food craving means you are on the way to recovery!"

He took her out for a walk in the garden later.

“You look better today." There is some colour on her cheeks.

“Do I look so ghostly earlier?” she cracked a joke.

“No, not at all. (He paused and added) You are always special.” Young is not quite sure how to react or where to place her eyes. Ultimately, she looked away. Park is not sure whether he should push her now as she is physically still weak. He decided to wait.

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind. Park wanted to tell Young.

He will not retreat. He will not allow the same set of emotions on the night of her hospital admission recur to him again. He will walk towards her, a step at a time. While giving her space to breathe and feel, he will let her sense how serious he is for her. He will wait. He will persist. He is here for her.

He has decided.