Distance

A Beautiful Tomorrow

“Bye, lovely.” It’s time for boarding but Park is still holding on to Young’s hand.

(Source: Screen capture from SWDBS)

 

Park and Kwang are taking a fight to attend a teaching camp near Jeju. This is the first time that Park and Young will not be seeing each other in person for almost two weeks.

“Remember to help me get the knee guards.” Kwang reminded Yoon.

“Yeah. You have repeated that three times already.” Yoon replied.

“Park! It’s time to board!” Kwang’s voice sent ripples into their little world.

The bright, white airport lightings highlighted his prominent cheekbones, well-defined features and enhanced the tone of his tanned skin. He’s slim, muscular and tall. Boyish, almost manly, he is. Handsome alright, and he is even more gorgeous within. With that, he could have had almost anyone, someone who is prettier, taller, and possibly more self-confidence.

Young stared into Park’s eyes, and that mesmerised her. “Go in now.” Dewy moisture shimmered in her big, luminous eyes. She stood on tiptoe and kissed him on his cheek, just missing his lips by breaths. She used her thumb to dab the light pink smear away.

He is briefly dazed as she is not one who shows that much affection in public.

His right hand held her hand that is on his cheek while his left pulled her purposefully into his arms. She is virtually covered in his tall frame.

Holding her close, he stares deep into her misty eyes. Tenderness and longing sparkled in his almond brown eyes, hypnotising her. She can’t help but blush. Witnessing the lovely and rosy response that is triggered by his own nearness and proximity, his smile deepen. His body is warm, comfort to touch. His voice is deep and captivating. His soft lips brush her ear as he confesses to her then and again, “Saranghanda”.

Both Kwang and Yoon are speechless. They look away simultaneously.

Eyes closed, they hugged in silence for a while.  

That feels like the exchange and infusion of positive energy into each other. Similar to the provision of the drops of life to the resilient cactuses and lavender, and with that, the flora will survive and even flourish, till the shower returns.

He kissed her briefly on her lips before releasing her.

Kwang and Park wave to Yoon and Young, before they clear the customs.

A small devilish sound in her says, “하지마 [Ha-ji-ma] (Don’t do. Don’t go.)”

A louder and rational voice within her says, “Let him go, to explore, learn and feel, so he will grow and gain strength. You should get a hold of herself. Thirteen days will pass in an instant. “

She lets out a shaky sigh.

She squeezed out a smile and waved to him.

 

 

“I have never seen this side of Park before. What did you feed him with?” Yoon probed as she saw Young’s eyes widen. “Sorry, has my joke gone too far?”

Young sought clarifications, “What did he feed me with, you mean?”

The ladies giggled over the candid exchange.

The laughter died down.

“What has he done?”, Yoon persisted.

Young traced the mouth of the warm porcelain cup with her index finger, held the container near her face, felt the mild vapour and breathed in the aroma from the brew.

“You see this latte heart? Park takes time to learn how to make it. Seemingly easy, but that takes a lot of practice, patience and skill. He failed many times but kept trying. We have so many cups of latte as a result. (She seemed to have fallen into a reverie.  The corners of her lips gradually curved upwards .. ) Now, he makes the latte heart even better than me although I do it frequently, on and off, for years. So, this is him. This is Park”, (Yoon looks perplexed) she inhaled before confiding, “What I am saying is .. Park is a dedicated and devoted man. I am very blessed to be with him.”

Upon hearing Young’s heartfelt reply, “That’s almost unimaginable.  I have known him all my life and never seen nor heard this side of him. He is smart and filial, I can see that. But to me, those two big boys are just .. a big kid who nags at me by my side, while the other tags behind. “

“What did Kwang nag about just now?”

“Get another new pair of knee guards. Those are his part of his exercise gear. I don’t know how many rackets and models he needs, how many different set of guards, athletic tapes, muscle rubs he wants… and I have to help him source… Yes, I play badminton too but… Anyway, they have a big match coming in two weeks’ time, just after they return from their teaching camp.”

“I am aware of some of the badminton gear requirements. I got some for Park too, considering the condition of his leg.”

“Why is Kwang asking you to source and get those for him?”

“Because we are always together? It’s convenient.”

Maybe you haven’t realised it yet.. Young thought.

“I meant why you? Why not ask Park?”

“As Park is lazy? … “ Yoon answered without a second thought as Young burst out laughing. “Oppppssss.. Sorry! I meant he is too occupied.” Yoon tried to explain in futile.

Young observed Yoon as the later went quiet gradually.  Her cup of latte remained untouched ..

 

 

Young asked, “Have you been to the same teaching camp?”

“Yes, I attended it last year. The two weeks were packed with lectures, presentations and sharing sessions with teachers from other parts of Korea. During the weekend, there was also an islet-hopping trip and camp to teach survival skills. I got to know and network with many similar minded teachers through that camp. Quite an enriching and fruitful experience.” Yoon related in a flash.

“What shall we do this weekend since the m.. boys are away? How about having fried chicken for dinner? I can make preserved radish. We can also rent a DVD.”

“I LOVE it! Never get to eat that delicacy when that health-conscious freak is around.” Yoon jumped.

They laughed.

“Shall we get some soju too?”

“Sure, of course!“

”I’ll also bring my pyjamas along. Let’s have a PJ party!”, joy danced in Yoon’s eyes.

Young glances at the tall, pretty and intelligent Yoon, who doesn’t seem to know her own attractiveness.

 

 

Park is surfing the internet in the privacy of the dorm while waiting for Young to be online. She should be logging in anytime now.

He saw some posters of an upcoming art exhibition featuring primarily young Korean artists during his islet-hopping trip last weekend. As Young is interested in oil canvas, he researches for more information on the exhibition, its artists and exhibits. Moreover, Jeju is a paradise that is not to be missed.

“Hi, Lovely. How are you?”

Young flashed her big smile on screen.

“I am melting…”

They started chatting via webcam.

“You are flying back late morning tomorrow, right? Are you all packed? The weatherman forecasted fierce storms that may affect air travel in various areas over at your side. Don’t rush. Take care. Be extra careful.”

“If planes are grounded, I’ll get train or even boat tickets, I’ll find something to get us home tomorrow.. Don’t worry.”

“Do you miss me so much?”, she teased.

“Don’t you?”, he returned the shot swiftly and smoothly, without missing a beat.

She found herself blurted out a Yes unconsciously. They are facing each other and she knows that he did catch her response “live”.

True, that started out as a teaser. However, she realised that she has just fallen into the same pit, and maybe that they have both plummeted just as deep.

Two weeks is such a long time. 

They felt the heat formed on their cheeks that’s also captured onscreen.

Pause..

“Our plan is to take the first flight home after attending the last lecture tomorrow morning. That’s an important lecture that we shouldn’t miss, sadly... Anyway, in here, its teaching camp in the day and badminton concentration camp at night. Kwang just can’t let me off! He is eating dinner in the hall now and will be here to get me soon.” He laughed.

“Have you taken dinner?”, she asked with much concern. He showed her the partially eaten sandwich that he is holding, “The bread here tasted awful… You have spoilt me..”

She giggled at his comment, “What concentration camp are you talking about?”

“Yes, he is training me hard for the finals. He is too anxious. And thank you for your present. You are always thoughtful. You gave me stuff that I haven’t thought much about it yet. ”

“Those are for standbys. I hope those plasters, tape and muscle rub are with you, just in case you need them.”

“You are so nice to me, lovely ..”

The dorm door opened and closed.

“PARK! That’s seriously mushy… (Young saw Kwang walked past, behind Park’s chair) Its freezing in here …… “

“Then, don’t listen!” Park grabbed a shuttlecock and threw it in his Kwang’s direction.

Park put on his earphones and chatted for a while more.

Kwang changed into his sports gear and observed Park’s animated face from their double decker bed for a while. He strolled into the webcam screen, “Young, may I borrow your boyfriend for badminton now? In exchange, I’ll make sure to return him to you in one piece tomorrow. Deal? “

Young answered cheerfully, “Sure. Good night, Kwang. Good night, Park.”

They ended the webchat. Young returned to her kitchen to check on the doughs.

 

 

After an hour plus of rigorous footwork trainings and rallies, both Kwang and Park are dripping in sweat. They are hydrating themselves in front of the sports hall.

An overcast sky greeted them.

Park sighed, “Let’s hope the weather holds tomorrow.” The atmosphere turned slightly melancholic.

Kwang noted Park’s longing expression, “Yes. Don’t be overly concerned. We’ll find a way home”. These two weeks has really been a long time for his long-time pal. He had to drag Park to the compulsory trip and camp last weekend. In the evenings, he makes Park practise for the forthcoming match, which is a way to keep him sufficiently occupied.

“You must have saved the country in your previous lifetime.”

“Pardon me?”

“To know Young, I mean.”

A smile lighted up Park’s face, “No matter how and from which angle I see her .. she is kind, thoughtful, considerate, lovely, ...  Yes, she really is.” he focused at the blank horizon and took another gulp of the isotonic drink. His tone turned solemn, “She is all I’ll ever need and want.”

He is surprised by the frank and direct response. In just a matter of weeks, he caught various rarely sighted glimpses and sides of his pal. Looking back at the previous months, on what Park and Young have gone through together, he may be able to appreciate some of Park’s feelings. One thing is definite, “I can see how dedicated she is to you and you to her.”

Park nodded. He is in absolute agreement.

Kwang is happy for Park but sighed for himself internally.

Park thought for a while and asked. “How’s Yoon?”

“What about her? She is around.” Kwang is confused.

“Didn’t you call her in the two weeks that we are here?”

“Yes, I asked her to get stuff for me.”

“Why ask her?... Only her? Sports gear is not particularly special stuff.”

“She knows me, my taste, preference and specifically what I need. She gets the right things every time”, Kwang answered without a thought, in a matter of fact tone.

“What if she doesn’t do it for you?”, Park posed Kwang a question, “I mean, she has other things to occupy her, right?”

Colour seemed to be draining off Kwang’s face. Apparently, that thought has not occurred to him before. “You can never return your opponent’s shot if you keep don’t move from your serving position. You just lectured me on that.”

Park gave Kwang a pat on his back.

He observed that the full moon has been partially covered by the passing clouds. Image of her dark brown eyes that shines like chandeliers in the grand halls drifted into his mind. Her almost flawless complexion with that insignificant little mole on her cheek, lips that are a hue of pink and rose, and shiny hair that bounces gracefully above her shoulders. Divine, is her.

Beautiful adornments are striking but only those who are blessed to know her will truly appreciate the extraordinariness that is embedded within the petite frame.

Furthermore, she has the amazing ability to sneak in and invade his mind ever so effortlessly and … that is seriously driving him crazy.

“Care for a late-night run?” Park challenged Kwang.

“Loser buys breakfast!”

Park dashed off before hearing Kwang’s reply.

Later that night, while Park was packing their load of books and course materials, Kwang stared blankly at the ceiling.

 

 

The weather didn’t hold the next day.

Multiple flights are cancelled and delayed. Although trains take a longer time to reach home, at least it’s still running at the moment. They collected their reserved tickets for the multiple transfer trips and waited at the rail platform.

Park tried to reach Young but didn’t manage to.  He didn’t hear her voice, storms are brewing at the horizon on his end, and he has no idea where she is.  

He paced up and down the platform, tousled his hair for the millionth time, and pleaded silently that there is no change to the train schedules.

Time crawled. Minutes seemed like hours to him.

Finally, they boarded the train. Rain lashed the window panes furiously and showed no sign of ceasing, the inception of the storm had arrived.

After multiple transfers and many hours of travelling time, they finally land at the final coach transfer station before reaching home. The skies are relatively less gloomy here.

“What a day!”

“Yes”, Park agreed unanimously, “We’ll be home soon.”  

They relaxed marginally.

 

 

While waiting for the coach, the skies above the town started to transform into the shade of charcoal. Threatening clouds have trailed and caught up with the duo.

Sensing Park’s edginess, Kwang offered to bring Park’s bags and their load of books and materials home. Thus, Park can join two others on the same coach to hitch a fellow traveller’s ride to Young’s place once he alights from the coach.

Park thanked the fellow traveller for the ride and dashed to Young’s gate in the drizzle. However, no one answered the door. He let himself in, flipped the lights on and found her phone lying on her slightly cluttered desk. Luckily, there is no burglar alarm since her house is neat otherwise.

“Are you here?” He combed through her place speedily.

There is no reply.

A stiff and uncomfortable silence filled the once lively space.

He can’t reach her for the entire day. A heavy storm is fast approaching. He has no idea of her whereabouts.

Where is she?  WHERE?

Uneasiness returned and struck him in full force.