Starry Night

A Beautiful Tomorrow

The area has tuned to its rest mode, covered in a heavy curtain of black. Water continued to drip through the bends of the nearby streams. Singing insects whistled about their day. Gentle wind breezed through the nearby branches and rustled the leaves. Sweet-smelling scent from the various flora in the garden infused the air.

She enjoyed the tranquillity at his yard massively.

He strolled out with two cups of steaming hot chocolate, complete with little pieces of marsh mallows toppings.

“What have you planted in the garden?” she sounded curious.

“Oh.. Halmoni has a lot of flowers, cabbage, and potatoes. Some are planted by Halmoni, some are given by neighbours, some are blessed by the birds… My job is to make sure that they get enough to drink”, he joked.

“I can tell that Halmoni really dotes on you”, as baked potato is one of his favourites.

A smile appeared on his face.

“Halmoni has two favourite pots, her precious possessions. I’ll show you in the day light.”

He put down the cups down and they sat on the porch, back to back to each other.

Up above, the stars twinkled like little sequins, adorning a vast, dark velvet gown.

“This is a starry night, just like the replica in your house.”

“You remember?”

“Yeap.”

“How’s Halmoni? She looks tired just now.”

“Thanks for chipping in to prepare dinner earlier. That made Halmoni quite happy. She is resting now. I will accompany her to the cardiologist for her review next week.“

“What is her condition?”

“This is a regular review. She has stent in her artery.”

“That’s why she doesn’t stay long in the hot spa each time. I’ll take note of that.”

She looked long into the endless night sky, inhaled the chill air and related, “You know.. I watched this movie, long long time ago… He invited her to dance on the streets and she did. That’s the start of her own life, not one that’s decreed by her parents. When she asked for music, he just sang…”

He jumped up, kneeled down on one knee in front of her and offered his hand.

“Ya!”

“We only live once.”

She whispered into his ear, “I can’t dance.”

He chuckled, “Don’t be embarrassed. I am glad to help you.”

He held her up, placed her toes on his, put her hands on the back of his neck and his hands on the small of her back. They were both bare footed. She burst out laughing into his chest, at the absurdity of their circumstances. “Hush… you’ll wake Halmoni up!” She suppressed her amusement so much that her face turned red.

“Music?” she requested in a muffled voice.

“That one.. (he glanced into the sky) and started to sing Twinkle, Twinkle little stars…” He hummed that famous piece from Mozart right into her ears.

“That’s a kid’s piece”, she giggled.

He thought for a second..

 

“City of stars

Are you shining just for me?

City of stars

There's so much that I can't see

Who knows?

I felt it from the first embrace I shared with you

That now our dreams

They've finally come true ..”

<< Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone, City of Stars >>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTWqwSNQCcg

 

“You can really sing!”

“You bet! Continue discovering my talents!”

“My little boastful!” She pretended to punch him. “That movie has a sad ending though…”

“This should lighten up the atmosphere.”

 

“Fly me to the moon

Let me play among the stars

Let me see what spring is like

On a, Jupiter and Mars

In other words, hold my hand

In other words, baby, kiss me”

<< Frank Sinatra, Fly Me To The Moon >>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hxibHJOE5E&list=RD5hxibHJOE5E

 

In his serenade, in the moonlight, in a warm and intimate embrace, they danced.

Seemingly a long while later, she added, “Later, he invited her to lay down on the roads and look at the sky…”

“That’s okay in the 1900s States but not now.”

“Yes.. Hey, you know?”

“Noah and Allie. Yoon wanted to watch the movie. So, she dragged Kwang and me along. I missed much of the ending as I had to leave the theatre earlier. But I do recall those few scenes you recounted ..”

“You should have told me earlier..”

“How else would I get the honour to dance with you under the stars?” the tip of his nose touched hers.

He sat down on the couch. She leaned casually on him. Her skin felt cold to touch. He covered them with blankets and handed the hot chocolate to her. “Comfortable enough?”

“Yes. So warm...” she closed her eyes in contentment, “I don’t feel that cold … but thank you. Why are you pampering me so much?”

“Because that is you, and this is me.” He stammered while rolling his eyes.

“You are cute, you know.”

A full moon and her accompanying blinking stars provide subtle illumination in the otherwise pitch-black darkness.

“You know I was afraid of the dark in the past?”

“How did you overcome it?” he touched the tails of her hair unconsciously.

“Self-trained, when I was all by myself. I am also afraid of those human looking dolls that have large, oval eyes! Those are really creepy. How about you?”

She held his hand up, entangle her fingers with his, in the twinkling star lights. He has such long and straight fingers.

“You know one already. The other will be.. the loss of the ability to move freely. Being a playful little boy..”

“Impish?”

“Playful (He corrected her). Then, I broke my leg once. Halmoni had to carry my school bag for me then. She is very caring. I felt so bad about that. Plus, the most recent experience of being partly confined to the chair for a while (looking at his leg).”

“What does the physiotherapist say?” She touched his leg lightly.

“Exercise. Move.. I’ll do it all. I’ll keep moving while I can. Don’t look so worried. I am fine. I exercise with Kwang whenever we can.”

“By the way, how long have you known Kwang?”

“Oh.. that was so long ago. I know Kwang and Yoon while we were kids. We grew, studied, played planks and truant, together. “

“You are a teacher!”

“Yes, I was a kid too..” he tapped her head.

“Agree”, she touched his hand affectionately, “Just like Noah who is from the country, encourages Allie who is from the city, on how to play, to live a life that is free from others’ dictations .. “

“Why not Yoon?” she looked up, while he bent down to meet her gaze.

“Why? .. Because we are too familiar? Because I have never considered her as a female?”

“Yeah, right! Such a standard answer.”

He laughed and angled her to face him. “That’s the truth. (He ghosted the shape of her face with his fingertips tenderly. His expression turned solemn.) I never look at her in the way that I look at you. I never feel for her in the way that I feel for you.”

Her heart skipped some beats upon hearing his words. “I believe you” , she accidentally bit her lip and fumbled.

How about Kwang?”

“What about Kwang? Kwang and Yoon, you mean?”

“Yes, since they are always together.”

“I’ll say let nature takes its course.”

“I’ll say a trigger is needed to create the spark. Like yeast is the driving force behind fermentation that allowed a mass of dough to become a well-risen loaf.”

“You recalled what happened at the beach while you just stared at me? (She acknowledged.) I am prepared to wait for you.”

“But what if you didn’t ask?”

“I’ll ask. I’ll. Let’s just say, I’ve started the journey towards you. I believe love that comes back belongs to me.“

“Thank you.”

He bent to feel her lips. A slight nip. “You are welcome. “

“I have a college friend, Eun, who stays near me in Seoul. “

“The apartment which grandaunt left behind and have been rented out now?”

“Yes, that’s the one. Then, we talked girls’ topics, fashion, make-up, …”

“.. handsome guys, crushes…”

Her eyes grew wide. He returned her glare.

“How do you know?”

“I hope that didn’t hurt too much”, he rained some kisses on her fingers. “Whoever’s loss is definitely my gain.”

“That has been an experience. He was very kind to everyone, to me, but … it was not meant to be.”

“It is heartening to hear that you have a friend to accompany you then. Where is Eun now?”

“She is working in the States.”

“Are you still in contact?”

“We email each other regularly. You remember that time which I refused to accept your .. ..“

“.. advances?” he completed the line for her.

“During the last year of college, Eun’s parents had a bitter divorce due to a third party in their marriage. We hugged and cried together. It was hard.” He caressed her cheeks caringly. “.. I was so afraid that I’ll cause harm to you and your relationship. “

He appreciated her explanation. “What if Allie just listen to her status-conscious parents and left poor Noah for the rich Lon? (He held onto her hands.) What we know is you can’t live your life for other people. You got to do what you feel right.. and you could have asked me.”

“Maybe I shouldn’t have swallowed it then. I am sorry for the hurt that I caused you. Miane. Can you forgive me?”

What if I lose you? She quivered from the surge of fear.

Upon feeling her shudders, he rested his chin on her head, “Consider that as a blessing in disguise. That made me realised how important you are to me.”

“Nae do (You to me too).”

His face is in such close proximity. She stretched her hand to feel the back of his head, where the slope of his recent haircut is, “You had a haircut earlier? Prickly but feels nice.”

“You like that? I’ll visit the barber more regularly then.”

She traced his chin. “You have stubbles too. I didn’t really notice that before.”

“Yes, this is the end of the day and (He planted a gentle nudge on her cheek.) you are the only one who is ever close enough to touch and feel that.”

He rubbed his stubbled chin against the nape of her exposed neck and shoulder lightly. She felt slightly ticklish. “Why do you feel so tense?” he murmured. His warm breathes surrounded her neck.

Her eyes dewy. “Aftermath from years of intense stress in the financial industry”, she answered plainly.

In between nuzzling her neck that sent some tingles down her spine, he murmured, “Relax.. Shall we visit the whiteness of swans in New Bern, States?”

“I wonder if Korea has such a place too?”

“We will find out together. I love to take a kayah ride with you.”

“I couldn’t recall that movie in detail now. What I recall is Noah’s devotion .. reading to Allie.. despite knowing that she could neither recognise nor respond to him due to Alzheimer. He narrated their story to her from his notebook and that created miracles which doctors could neither comprehend nor explain. She is so talented, and he loves her so much..” she sniffed.

“Considering that they parted for more than a decade, he never gave his heart to anyone else wholeheartedly in that window, restored a 1700s plantation house based on her wants, and wrote to her for years. Yes, it showed. Most important thing is they have made their choice, and they have spent blissful years together. Isn’t it?”

 

My life? It’s nothing spectacular.

I am a common man, have a common life.

No monuments dedicated to me and I’ll be soon forgotten,

but I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul,

and to me this has always been enough.

He almost recited that out.

“You remember!” she exclaimed.

“Not the exact words, but that’s the gist of it, based on the movie's synopsis. That reminds me much of Halmoni. You know Halmoni can write well? She learnt that from Haraboji. She still keeps a drawer full of letters from Haraboji.”

“My grandaunt used to tell me folktales, but she doesn’t write much per se. (Glazing at the black seamless sky above). One Nigerian folktale narrated that the Moon was touched by the generosity of the rabbit, who willingly sacrificed herself to feed the hungry moon. Thus, the moon invited the rabbit to stay with her in the moon palace. (She pointed at the full moon) You can see the silhouette of the rabbit …” she continued, “About Halmoni and Haroboji.. that happened in the earlier generations. Pure, simple mode and channel of communication, using pen and paper. Words. Poems maybe. I missed those. Do you write too?”

“I scribble”, he clarified as he toyed with her fingers. “Let’s catch the movie together next time and also visit a lake of swans.”

They sealed the promise with a kiss. His mouth lingered on hers, his teeth nipped her lower lip, which made her insides tremble.

She felt immeasurably loved and emotional concurrently.

“Ending of that movie was gloomy though… Seems like a while ago, after Grandaunt left, I was mostly by myself then. Depressed. I cried. Alone. I cried. Then, Eun dropped by more often, shared an ice cream, watched something together, talked random stuff. It was all comforting.” Tears triggered down her cheeks. He rubbed that away with his thumb.

His look soft. “You sound melancholic. I hope I am able to soothe your heart.”

She burrowed her face in his chest, shook her head, signalling that he doesn’t need to.

He scanned the sky for a while. The stars sparkled like dazzling diamonds that are gracing a sea of darkness.

“When I was very young, Halmoni comforted me that my parents are the stars in the night sky, caring for us from above.”

“Do you believe in her words?”

“In olden days, the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans assembled numerous legends to explain the stars, constellations etc. Beautiful myths and lovely stories…. I read them … (His voice went soft, cracked, reduced to almost a whisper) I have vague memories of them, those faraway memories which I always treasure. I was very young then. I have a few pictures thankfully. (He curled up and snugged closer to her. She wiped away the warm droplets forming in his deep-set eyes.) I believe more in the present.“

He halted briefly. He swallowed. “I believe in what I see, how I feel and who I hold now.” His dark almond brown eyes, framed by lush eye lashes, glittered in the dim light.

She inhaled as she fondled his cheeks, 사랑해 (Saranghae) [I love you]”.

"내가 사랑해 (Nae-ga deo Saranghae) [I love you more.]”

Cocooned in each other’s warmth, while in tears, in cosiness, in melancholy, in the gladness of having each other.

He leaned in to kiss her tenderly. She responded gently.

In the dead of a starry, starry night.