The Beginning

The Last Promise
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Ahjumma! Ahjumma! To all ahjummas! All fresh vegies and no pesticides!" Suga shouted, trying to attract all the housewifes to buy his vegetables. A white towel was wrapped around his head covering his forehead and hiding half of his blonde hair. He was wearing a pair of bright yellow boots which is a must when working in the wet market. 

"Young man. Could you wrap these for me please?" An elderly lady pointed to a basket of vegetables she had picked. "Sure. Ahjummoni." He grinned. "You really do love cabbage huh? You always buy cabbages each time you visit here." He asked with a smile. "My grandson loves cabbages." She replied with a smile. "There you go." He said after packing all the vegetables into the plastic bag. He added another bunch of cabbage into the bag. "This is free." He said with a grin. "You are always very kind, young man. You always give me extra vegetables." The elderly said, feeling touched by his gesture. "This young man is always very kind. The vegetables he sells are always very fresh and yet he sells at a very low price." An ahjumma who is choosing the vegetables nearby said to the elderly lady. "That's right! Not only is he young and handsome. He also has a very big heart. Not all youngsters are like that nowadays. That's why I always like to buy from him." Another ahjumma chipped in. "Aish. You are making me feeling embarrassed." He scratched his head, feeling shy. "Don't be shy, young man. You deserved the compliments." The elderly lady patted him on his shoulder. "Thank you. Do come again." He bowed at the elderly lady. "Sure thing, young man." She nodded with a smile.

He continued arranging the vegetables as the other ahjummas were busy choosing when he saw a pair of black leather shoes in front of him. He looked up with a scowl. "Why the hell are you here again?"

"Wow, hyung. That's a total 180 degrees of change. You were all smiley with the ahjummas just now. Can't you treat me the same as well?" The guy with the black leather shoes pouted. He was dressed up in a suit which totally didn't fit with the place he was in.

Suga snorted. "How could I treat you the same when all you did is disturbing my business."

That guy nodded. "Alright. I will buy all of these then." He pointed to the vegetables.

Suga rolled his eyes. "I don't need you to flaunt your wealth here. Go somewhere else suitable." He hissed.

"I'm not. I'm buying from you like a customer." The guy countered back. 

"Then how the hell are you going to finish all of these?!"

"I'm giving to these ladies for free." He gestured to the ahjummas.

Suga sighed with his eyes closed. He was beginning to lose his patience. He looked at the guy with a glare. "Look. I don't know why you are doing this. You have been bugging me for 1 week already."

"Don't pretend, hyung. You know why I'm doing this."

"Don't call me hyung. We are not close enough."

Hurt flashed across the guy's expression but gone the next second. "Fine, Suga-ssi. Like I said, you know why I'm here." The guy replied with a guarded expression.

"I can't just date a stranger! And why do you choose to date a poor man when you are so rich? We are clearly living in two different worlds! Go and find someone of the same status as you!" Suga yelled with his arms flailing.

The guy's expression darkened. "Not all rich people are like who you think they are, Suga-ssi. Before I'm a rich man, I was a poor kid. I suffered from poverty before, so, I know how it was like. Status doesn't bother me. All man are equal." He said as he stepped nearer to Suga. Suga gulped and stepped backwards until his back hit against the wall. The guy slammed both his palms on the wall trapping Suga when he tried to move. Suga looked at him, startled. "Why can't you see it? That I'm sincere towards you?" The guy said with a pained expression.

"What do you see in me?" Suga whispered, feeling uncomfortable with the close proximity but there is another feeling mixed together. Safe and warm. He quickly dismissed that thought from his mind. You must be crazy, Suga. He scolded himself.

"Just like what those ladies said earlier. You are kind, honest, handsome, young. Is that not enough of an explanation?" 

Before Suga could say something, they heard a gasp. They turned their heads.

"Omo! You are here." An ahjumma addressed to the guy.

"Ah..yes. Hello" That guy drop both his arms and turned to bowed at the lady.

Suga suddenly felt cold and empty, no longer feeling the warmth radiating from the guy. How he hoped the guy could continue to trap him with both his arms. This is ridiculous, Suga. He chatised himself for having such thoughts.

"I didn't know both of you are very close. He is the one I told you who helped me to carry the bags of groceries the other day." The lady said to Suga with a smile.

Suga looked at the guy with skepticism and turned to look at the lady. "I see. But you have mistaken. We are not close. I don't even know his nam

Please log in to read the full chapter