Playing With Water (물놀이)

CANDY (A Rainy Spring Day)

Chapter 6.5

(Bonus Scene)

Playing with Water

물놀이

“Gosh, Seulgi, you are so adorable!” Joohyun said, laughing out loud as she strolled down the river with her. One hand held the stuffed lion-bear tightly, while the other hand was linked with the walking-talking Seulgi Bear. 

Contrary to her previous image of being cold and mysterious, Joohyun had loosened up to Seulgi. Her true colors were colorful and bright—as crisp and clear as the sound of her sprightly laughter. She was also a lot more immature and playful than Seulgi had previously thought. It was a new side of Joohyun that she had not seen before, and it sure was a pleasant sight.

The skies were dimming as the sun dipped into the horizon, and streetlights began to illuminate the path. They have been there for a while, just talking and enjoying each other’s company past sundown. It was like a romantic date—well, close enough.

They took turns throwing question after random question to get to know each other more. Seulgi found out a lot of little details about Joohyun that day, like how Joohyun loved staring at the sky and taking pictures of trees. Her favorite season was spring—when the cherry blossoms were at their finest. She liked to write. She kept a journal. Her favorite hobbies included doing laundry and ironing, though that may sound odd to most people. She wasn’t too bad at cooking either. She never had a boyfriend, and guys who smoke were disgusting to her. She was never friendly with animals either, though Seulgi on the other hand, loved animals.

Although Joohyun told Seulgi a lot of things, only one thing was in her head the entire day: she realized loved Seulgi’s company very much. She did not want this day with her to end. She knew if the day ended, she will be back in university tomorrow Monday morning, sitting alone in long, boring classes and burying herself in loads of school work. Alone.

“I want to be your friend so you wouldn’t be lonely!” That line echoed in Joohyun’s head with every step. “I hope you remember that I'm your friend.” Yes. Joohyun would remember. She would remember forever and never, ever forget. What has happened since the rainy day on the bus stop was beautiful. She made a friend. She didn’t think she would make one, and she certainly would never have thought it would be a random stranger at a bus stop either, but she was very thankful.

Then, Seulgi suddenly stopped walking. “Look, it’s Mapo Bridge.” The bridge was lit up at night, appearing to be a floating line of lights connecting the city to the other side of the river.

“It’s pretty…,” Joohyun said in a low whisper.

“Yeah, the night view here is really pretty...,” Seulgi agreed. “Have you heard the news though?”

“What news?”

“They say a lot more people try to jump off and kill themselves there nowadays. It’s all over the news. I feel sad when I see the news nowadays. There are a lot of really awful things there.”

Joohyun face made a scrunched up expression at the younger’s words. Today was a beautiful day and tonight was a wonderful night. What was the point of bring up something depressing? “Let’s talk about somethin’ else.”

Seulgi smiled brightly again. “Sorry. I guess I watch television too much. Um, let’s see... next topic... Can you swim?”

Joohyun let go of Seulgi’s arm and playfully hit it with a light slap. “Hey, ain’t that somewhat related?”

“Well, can you?”

Joohyun linked her arm with Seulgi’s again and answered, “No, I’m scared of water. Can you swim, Seulgi?”

“You’re scared of water?”

“Yeah. I don’t like going in for a swim. I’m scared.”

Seulgi began to look concerned. “Why?”

“When I was a kid, I almost drowned while swimmin’ with my family in Busan. A huge wave swallowed me out of nowhere. It was so scary. If my dad hadn’t saved me, I probably would’a drowned there. I never went swimmin’ in the ocean again after that.”

“Oh... That must have been an awful experience for you.”

“But hey, you didn’t answer my question yet though!” Joohyun acted up, trying to be bright and cheeful and not linger in dark thoughts. “We’re supposed to take turns, Kang Seulgi.”

“Okay, well, I’m not very good at swimming, but I like playing in water,” Seulgi answered.

“Tch, you’re a useless friend then. How will you save me if I drown?” Joohyun scoffed. Although Joohyun, who was in such a blithe state, was just kidding around, Seulgi stopped walking and frowned. The bear seemed to have taken the comment a little too seriously. So then, the unnie shook the baby bear’s arm and said, “Oh, come on, I was just teasin’. I don’t think you’re useless. And it’s not like I’ll ever go swimmin’ in deep water again anyway.”

Seulgi stared down into the shorter girl’s eyes and bit her lip. Joohyun stared back at her—the light from the reflection of the water dancing in her beautiful eyes.

“I really like you, Joohyun Unnie,” Seulgi finally blurted out. “I’ll prove to you I’m not a useless friend. I’ll be a really good friend to you—a really good one. I promise you. I’ll make you never forget me.”

Upon hearing those words, Joohyun’s heart melted deep inside. She has never met anyone who wanted to be her friend so badly. She had no idea how to respond. She felt so honoured and maybe even confused as to why one high school girl would pledge such a thing. No one has ever said those words to her before. It seemed so outlandish, yet it gripped her heart in such a tender way.

Aw, but Seulgi, you don’t have to prove anything to me. You’re a pretty difficult person to forget, especially after running with me through the rain and giving me this giant Ryan doll..., she wanted to say, but never said. Joohyun just slipped off her arm from Seulgi’s and grabbed the younger girl’s hand. Then she said with a slight chuckle, “I’m sure you will.”

***

Dear Purple Bunny Diary,

…Today, I was not alone. Today, I was very happy. Today was the best birthday ever.

Below the inscribed text was a drawing of a dandelion-coloured bear wearing a light-blue hoodie and beside it was a white cake with red heart candles.