Chapter 7

Revel-LOVE

Irene Bae went home late that day.

Wendy knew that because she worked with professional stalkers with high-end stalking gadgets.

Also, because the older girl had been bombarding her with texts, bugging her about it.

 

From: Lovely Joohyun-sunbae

15 minutes ago

Wendy-ssi?

 

From: Lovely Joohyun-sunbae

15 minutes ago

Where are you? Are you still in the uni?

 

 

From: Lovely Joohyun-sunbae

14 minutes ago

My bus already left and the cabs are occupied :(

I’m stuck in the bus stop right now.

 

 

From: Lovely Joohyun-sunbae

10 minutes ago

Accompany me? Please?

 

 

Wendy sighs, setting her phone on silent and putting it face down on the surface of the piano. As much as she’d like to join the older girl, she couldn’t. Irene Bae’s spontaneous invitation to lunch had already sabotaged their plans enough.

Her phone vibrates again and she looks at the device, pursing her lips as guilt crept into her heart. Sorry, sunbae.

Instead, she turned her attention to the task at hand and rolled her seat beside Seulgi, putting on the blue headphones and turning to the monitors. There, she could see Irene Bae sitting alone in the bus stop, frowning at her phone at all angles, sheltered from the pouring rain. Wendy winced. She was definitely going to be dead for ignoring the texts.

“How’re things going?” Joy walked—no, sauntered over (because the girl never just walks), a small tray of paper cups in hand, wisps of smoke rising up from each.

“She’s still in the bus stop, looking like she wants to murder whoever she’s talking to on the phone,” Seulgi answered and Wendy grimaced. She wished her friend wasn’t wearing her constant grin while saying that.

Joy handed them a cup each. Wendy looked at the swirling dark brown. Hot chocolate. Yum.

“Who’s she texting? I didn’t know she’s developed a social life,” Joy quipped, sitting on her usual spot on top of the piano.

“Hmm, let’s see…” Seulgi was about to play the piece that would activate the bug she put on Irene Bae’s phone when Wendy quickly grabbed her wrists, “What..?”

“Um, don’t you think we should just let her have that little privacy at least?” Wendy awkwardly smiled.

But Joy’s narrowing her eyes, piercing straight at Wendy, “Unnie. What—”

And Irene Bae chose that moment to send another message, making her phone vibrate loudly against the surface of the piano, the trembling surely felt by the “gorgeous” devil judging from her lifted brows.

Joy gave her a look that said, so it’s you, huh?

Wendy pretended not to see.

“What? What’s wrong?” Seulgi asked, looking like a lost bear. Wendy patted her head, telling her to go back to work.

“Well,” to her relief, Joy had moved on, reaching over to push the B sharp key, “Gummy Boy, you ready?”

In one set of monitors, they could see Park Bogum’s car parked just around the corner. The guy was already settled behind the wheel, looking a bit nervous but determined nonetheless. Their previous operation at Han River had been quite a success. Prodding Irene Bae’s competitive tendencies was a right thing.

“Yes,”

“Alright then,” Joy shifted, emptying the remaining contents of her cup. The smile that graced her features made Wendy thankful they weren’t targeting her and would hopefully never. “Shall we start rolling?

“Hit the gas, Bogum-nim. Hard.

Thankfully, he didn’t. He carefully got out of his parking spot and drove along the highway just beside the sidewalk before stopping just adjacent to the bus stop. Irene Bae still haven’t looked up from her phone.

“Irene-sunbae?” they heard Park Bogum call from his car. The said girl visibly jumped out of her skin, eyes wide for a second before returning to its usual stoic. She stood.

“Park Bogum-ssi.”

“What are you doing here? It’s pouring!”

“I’m waiting for a cab,” Irene Bae stated, her flat, sarcastic tone sugarcoated by her well-picked words. Wendy hid a smile behind her cup, finding the older girl’s bite endearing.

“Well, uh, I can give you a lift. If—if you want?

Irene Bae’s reply was swift and sharp.

“No thank you,”

Wendy’s smile grew. She had no idea where the satisfied feeling came from. Really, she shouldn’t feel so upon seeing Park Bogum’s defeated face and Irene Bae’s expressionless one but she couldn’t help it. It was just entertaining.

“Come on, sunbae. It’s raining. A lot harder to catch a cab.” Park Bogum tried again, “Plus, it’s getting dark.”

“I’ll be fine.” Irene Bae coolly rejects him, “And I’m also…waiting for someone,” she added, throwing a brief frown at her phone.

Wendy almost spewed out her hot chocolate. She could feel Joy’s eyes on her. Sighing, she turned to meet the gaze.

Well? the girl’s eyes seemed to be saying.

She sighed again and grabbed her phone where a couple of messages were waiting to be read, all from the same sender. She briefly scrolled through them, gulping at a few death threats that gave her chills.

Taking a deep breath, she started to reply.

 

To: Lovely Joohyun-sunbae

Sunbaenim. I’m sorry. I don’t think I can

join you right now. Something came up at

home so I’m rushing. I’m so sorry,

sunbae TToTT don’t kill me?

 

Sent.

Wendy heaved another sigh and looked at the older girl in the monitor who was now reading the message she sent. She could see the frown on her face ease only to return, this time not out of annoyance but out of worry.

Her phone vibrated.

 

From: Lovely Joohyun-sunbae

2 seconds ago

Oh. Okay.

 

In the screen, she could see Irene Bae biting her lips, hesitation spelled in every movement of her fingers before her phone vibrated again.

 

From: Lovely Joohyun-sunbae

1 second ago

Hope it’s nothing serious. Take care.

 

Wendy raised her brows at the reply, looking at Irene Bae through the monitors but the girl’s expression wasn’t giving away anything. On the piano, Joy was giving her a questioning look. She replied with a nod.

“Gummy Boy, offer her a ride to the subway.” Joy ordered, “After she gets in, ask her for her address and we can trick her into driving her home,”

“How about I take you to the subway instead, sunbae?” Park Bogum said, “I don’t like the idea of leaving you here…”

Irene Bae bit her lip, clearly considering the offer. She thought about it for a while before finally nodding and saying a faint okay. She climbed into the passenger seat, buckling her seatbelt and holding on to the grab handle for dear life.

Wendy reached over to press down the B sharp key, “Drive slowly, Gummy Boy. She’s scared of speed. And play some relaxing music. It will distract her, somehow.”

Park Bogum obeyed, playing a Mozart. Irene Bae visibly relaxed just a bit but her knuckles were still white from gripping on the grab handle.

“Where do you live, sunbae?”

“You can drop me off the Hweyeon Station,”

Wendy knew she could help them. She knew the girl’s address, after all, having walked Irene Bae around the neighborhood and back to her home. But for some reason, her tongue stubbornly stayed still, refusing to move.

“Ah,” Joy tutted, “A handsome boy’s asking for your address! How evasive,”

“I can find her address real quick, if you want,” Seulgi offered.

“No, no, no,” Joy shook her head, “It would be weird if he were to suddenly drive her home without her giving her address. Too stalker-ish.” she reached over to press the piano key, “Just take her to the subway this time, Gummy Boy,”

The ride was quiet. Too quiet for their liking. Park Bogum was probably nervous (as usual) and Irene Bae was just being quiet (as usual). They were totally back to square one. Joy huffed in frustration.

“Need an opening…need an opening…” the girl mumbled to herself, restlessly biting on her thumb. Suddenly, she sat straight and yelled, “There! Offer her some rice cake, Gummy Boy! She loves the stuff!”

“Oh wow, those rice cakes sure look tasty. Perfect for the weather.” Park Bogum smoothly said, driving slowly by the street vendors, “Should we go have some, sunbae?”

Irene Bae glanced outside, “I think it’s going to be a hassle in this weather,”

“Huh. Weird,” Seulgi muttered, “I thought she liked rice cakes? Maybe she’s not in the mood?”

Before Park Bogum could visibly deflate, Wendy dove in, “Insist. Force her. She’s always like that at first.” she advised, “Seriously, I tell her so many times to be a bit friendlier…”

Seulgi gave her a disbelieving look, “And you actually think she’ll follow your words just like that?”

Wendy winced, recalling how stubborn Irene Bae could get. Seulgi had a point.

“Come on, sunbae! It’ll be quick!”

The three girls in the HQ winced when Irene Bae turned to the guy and gave one of her obviously forced, infamous tight lipped smile.

“Sorry, Park Bogum-ssi. I’m kind of in a hurry right now,”

However, Park Bogum didn’t know what that smile meant.

“Aw, just one bite? I mean—”

“Stop!” Wendy yelled but it was too late.

Irene. A name that came from the Greek goddess of peace. However, the girl who was named after it was nowhere near patient and Wendy knew that very well. If Irene Bae didn’t want to do something, she will never do it and no one could make her.

“I can just get off and hail a cab if you want to get your rice cake that much,” Irene Bae said, an underlying sharpness in her tone, smile not quite reaching her eyes that blazed, challenging Park Bogum to defy her.

“Stop, stop, stop. Stop pushing her.” Wendy sputtered out, pinching the bridge of her nose, “Dude, just…just drive her, okay? Let’s just try again next time,”

Joy and Seulgi looked at her like she had gone mad.

“What are you doing, unnie?” Joy hissed.

Seulgi blinked, “You always pushed her but she never snapped?”

Wendy smiled weakly, recalling that fateful day in the practice room. Those predator-like eyes locking on her, hot breath, and lavender scent. It seemed so long ago but whenever she thought about it, she still got the chills.

And of course, the warning.

I’m warning you one last time, Wendy-ssi. Stay away from me

Until now, Wendy had no idea what Irene Bae meant by that. Perhaps it was an empty threat? But Irene Bae wasn’t the type to do that sort of thing.

Feeling a headache coming up, Wendy shook the thoughts away.

“Just...she did, okay? She snapped one time and I was off-duty so you guys wouldn’t know,”

Seulgi accepted her reasoning quick enough and went back to observing the monitors. Joy, however, kept a watchful eye on her (which she dutifully avoided) before finally going back to their job.

“Okay. Just talk about yourself then, Gummy Boy. Just ramble on and on.” Joy shot Wendy a look, “I learned this trick in socializing from an expert, you know. Besides, our Cabbage finds rambling people cute. Beautiful even,” she wriggled her brows, obviously teasing the older about what happened in the practice room earlier that day.

Wendy rolled her eyes, ignoring the heat on her cheeks, “Oh, shut up,”

Park Bogum then started to talk. He told Irene Bae about everything and nothing over the traffic. The girl remained silent, keeping her eyes in front, glancing at her phone every now and again. Wendy didn’t know if she was even listening or spacing out which was weird. From what she knew based on experience, Irene Bae was a really keen listener. Maybe she wasn’t feeling well?

“And then my mom was like—”

“This is me,” Irene Bae cut off, unbuckling her seatbelt. She gave the boy a polite smile, “Thanks for the ride,”

And she was out.

Everyone was stumped. Park Bogum’s smile had frozen. Seulgi and Joy had their jaws hanging. Wendy’s eyes were about to pop out of their sockets.

“Wow.” Seulgi started to clap slowly.

“How utterly cold,” Joy shook her head, “This girl is turning out more difficult than I thought. Ah, really—wait, Wendy-unnie, where are you going?”

Wendy looked over her shoulder, already halfway toward the door.

“Home,”

 

***

 

Joohyun sat in the subway, waiting for her train to arrive. The nearest one will supposedly be there in a few minutes. She swung her feet idly, glancing at her phone every now and then.

The moment she received Wendy Son’s reply that something had came up, she couldn’t help but feel a bit worried. Just a little tiny bit. She wanted to ask if she was okay or if everything was okay. She wanted to know if it was something serious to be concerned about.

(But she didn’t)

Just then, her train had arrived and she got to her feet. She started to walk along the stream of people entering it when a voice called out her name just as she entered.

“Joohyun-sunbae!”

She stopped in her tracks and her eyes widened.

“Park Bogum-ssi?”

The boy stopped right in front of her, grinning through labored breaths. Then people around started to complain, since he was blocking the way. He apologized and gestured for Joohyun to wait before running off again. She blinked, unsure what to make of these turn of events.

In a few moments, he was back and jumped in just in time before the doors closed. Joohyun could see his eyes searching for her but she made no move to let him know where she was.

But then his eyes met hers like he already knew where she was and he smiled that gummy smile of his and walked over, squeezing through bodies.

“Sunbae,” he breathed out, stopping right in front of her.

Too close. Joohyun stepped away but her back hit the wall.

“What are you doing here?”

“Um, you dropped this in the car,” he lifted a bunny keychain.

Joohyun raised her brows and took the keychain, their fingers brushing, “Thank you,” she said, putting it in her pocket, “But you could have given it to me tomorrow,”

Park Bogum rubbed his nape bashfully, “You’re right. I guess I’m a bit of an idiot, eh?” he chuckled, “I just jumped in without thinking,”

Joohyun’s neck was starting to strain from looking up for too long. Tall people were never her ideal.

“How are you going to get back?”

The train shuddered and her hand instinctively shot out to keep Park Bogum from falling over her, palms lightly touching broad shoulders. He had instinctively put his hand on the wall for support as well.

“Uh, sorry,” he tried to put distance between them but the train swerved and he was stumbling forward again, Joohyun’s hand on his shoulders turning into a grip, forcefully keeping him away.

Joohyun’s face contorted to a grimace. The boy was heavy, “It’s okay. Just…stay still.”

“O-Okay.”

Everything about that moment was intimate, as though taken straight out of a drama. Joohyun mentally laughs at her predicament. Never in her life did she think she’d be in such a compromising position with a guy without judo-flipping them (Though she doesn’t know how but she’ll manage, somehow).

At least, Park Bogum smelled nice. He smelled pleasantly like fabric conditioner; the scent that Joohyun liked. Heat thrummed beneath his shirt, seeping into her palm. She could feel his muscles tense there. Looking up, she almost chuckles at his stiff expression and the burning red on his ears.

“Loosen up, Park Bogum-ssi. I’m not going to bite,”

At that, the guy tensed some more. Joohyun sighed, giving up. Whatever. She tried.

The whole 34 minutes of travel was spent like that. People came and go, seats emptied only to be filled with more. The two had no choice but to stay in that position the entire ride; Joohyun pressed against the wall, hands on Park Bogum’s shoulders to prevent him from falling over her (She figured it would hurt. The guy was big) and his hand against the wall, trying to maintain balance.

When they finally arrived, Joohyun sighed aloud in relief more than anything. They walked out with the stream of people. She felt him behind her, shielding her from everyone else so she looked over her shoulder to give him a small smile of gratitude.

“How are you getting back?” she asked again as they were finally out of the cramped train.

The guy shrugged, “Take the train, I guess?”

“Oh. Okay.” Joohyun nodded, “I’ll get going then?”

“Um, sunbae, actually,” he said, looking shy, “Can you accompany me? The next train isn’t coming in thirty minutes so…”

Joohyun pursed her lips, thinking about it. Well, she did somewhat owe the guy for returning her keychain and that nice gesture when they got off the train. Perhaps spending a few more minutes would be fine.

“I—” her phone chose that moment to vibrate, completely stealing her attention. With hopeful hands, she took the device out.

 

From: Son Seungwan

3 seconds ago

I’m free now, sunbae. Where are you?

Did you manage to catch a cab yet?

I can go fetch you if you want :)

 

“Irene-sunbae?”

She impatiently held a hand out to shut him up before rapidly typing a reply.

 

To: Son Seungwan

I’m at Beomgye station. I took the subway.

 

Park Bogum tried to speak up again, “Um—”

Whatever he said had entered deaf ears as the phone vibrated again, bringing the younger girl’s reply.

 

From: Son Seungwan

1 second ago

Oh, that’s great! I’m just around the area!

Want me to pick you up?

 

Another vibrate.

 

From: Son Seungwan

1 second ago

And why did you take the subway, sunbae?

It’s not safe and it’s too packed! Next time,

just call me, okay? I’ll be your personal chauffer ;)

 

With a small smile, Joohyun replied.

 

To: Son Seungwan

Pick me up, please.

And I might take you up on that offer, Driver Son :P

 

From: Son Seungwan

1 second ago

I just arrived outside the station.

Do you have an umbrella? It’s pouring.

 

Joohyun visibly paled. She was already there? Was Wendy Son driving while texting? Did she even know the dangers of driving? Did she even—Joohyun clenched her fist and pocketed her phone. That girl is so going to be dead.

Looking up, she remembered the presence of Park Bogum and felt a little bad for ignoring him.

“I’m sorry, Park Bogum-ssi. I have to go now,”

He looked crestfallen, “Oh. Uh, okay. See you at school then,”

Joohyun replied with a polite bow before rushing out of the station.

Wendy Son was right. It was still pouring by the time Joohyun went aboveground. She took shelter in a tiny awning and looked around, trying to spot the familiar blue Audi when someone suddenly tapped on her shoulder, making her jump.

“Hi,”

There it was; curled pink lips and soft brown eyes, the warm scent of familiar vanilla and the pleasant sight of purple hair.

Joohyun jumped in surprise before collecting herself, standing straight with indignation, “Hey, you, Son Seungwan. Tell me, were you driving while texting? Because I swear if you were I am so going to kill you myself before you could even be involved in a major traffic collision.”

The younger girl blinked, “I—uh, actually, I was already—” she winced, “Okay, I’m sorry.”

Joohyun frowned at her and hit her arm, “What if you died, you dolt? You could have died! Do you know how death feels like?”

“Um, probably a lot better than this?”

Joohyun hit her again, “Don’t drive while texting ever again!”

Wendy Son could only nod meekly, “Yes mother,”

Joohyun’s nose flared, “What did you say?”

The younger girl merely smiled sheepishly before bolting out into the rain. Annoyed and overly-competitive, Joohyun raced after her. They ran along the sidewalk, avoiding pedestrians and jumping over puddles, the rain drowning the yells of nasty threats (in Joohyun’s part) and bubbly laughter (in Wendy Son’s part).

By the time she caught up with the purple-haired girl, she had her in a firm grip, hitting playfully while Wendy Son just laughs, not bothering to retaliate while Joohyun beat her up. Soon, even Joohyun was laughing, pushing the younger girl lightly and then pulling.

Cold rainwater soaked into her clothes, chilling her to the bones. Her teeth chattered. Her flesh trembled.

(Joohyun hated the cold.)

The younger girl had finally started to at least defend herself, capturing her wrists to prevent the hits. Joohyun was relentless, however, so eventually Wendy Son had to twist her around, bringing her wrists to her chest, locking her in a back hug of some sort.

Next to her ear, hot breath fanned along with a low voice, “I win,”

(But with Seungwan, nothing seemed so cold anymore)

“Y-You’re cheating,” Joohyun stuttered because of the cold. Just because of the cold.

“Am not,”

“You are,”

“Am not,”

“You are,”

“Am no—AH!” a yelp escaped Wendy Son’s lips when Joohyun suddenly broke free, spun, and in seconds had the former trapped in her arms.

Joohyun grinned smugly, trying to ignore the darkened purple hair that clung on to the sides of Wendy Son’s face and the water that trickled down her jaw and the infinitesimal distance between their faces.

I win,”

In the end, she couldn’t ignore the wet locks of hair that covered Wendy Son’s eyes, reaching up to gently move them aside so she could see her favorite pair of soft brown orbs.

The younger girl chuckled, forehead bumping against Joohyun’s when she slightly ducked, “You always win, sunbae,”

Joohyun peered at her through wet lashes and bangs and assaulting rain and smiled, a bit wistful. Wendy Son managed to bring up her hand and pushed the troublesome bangs off the older girl’s eyes. Joohyun wished she hadn’t because now she saw the younger girl a bit more clearly and it wasn’t helping the wild flutters in her stomach.

Joohyun let herself let out a small laugh, pure and genuine, resting her forehead against Wendy Son’s.

“I always win, huh?” she mused, “I hope you’re right about that,”