Chapter 14

Revel-LOVE

Wendy tossed and turned in bed.

Normally, she wouldn’t have any trouble sleeping especially after an emotionally taxing day but now, all exhaustion seemed to have gone off as her eyes refused to close, boring straight on the cream colored ceiling, watching one particular scene projected from her mind unfold again and again.

‘It’s none of your business, sunbaenim.’

Wendy let out a mixture of groans and whines and squeals which ended up sounding like a strangled cat as she rolled around, messing up with the sheets.

“What am I going to do?” she sobbed into her pillows.

“Go and get ready for the gala, that’s what.”

Wendy sat up abruptly at the new voice and made a pouty face, “Ahjumma!” she whined, “I messed up big time.”

The middle-aged woman sighed and stepped closer, fixing the girl’s hair, “What is it that you messed up other than my bed, Seungwan?”

“A friend of mine expressed her worry for me and I straight up told her it was none of her business.”

Ahjumma gave her a disbelieving scowl, “You did? You?” she flicked her forehead, earning a wince, “I did not raise you to turn out this way, Son Seungwan.”

Wendy pouted, “I didn’t mean it! I was…” her eyes shifted and she sighed, “I was a bit overwhelmed, I guess. Too much, you know, stress. What should I do?”

The woman had resumed combing the girl’s hair, “Well, isn’t it obvious? Apologize. Tell them you didn’t mean it. What’s so hard about that?”

Wendy chewed her lower lip. She’s not quite sure Irene Bae would want to talk to her after what happened and she’s not sure either if she wanted to have a word. The awkwardness would kill her.

But Ahjumma was right. She’s always right. The woman had been more like a mother to Wendy than her own mother ever would. She raised her up to be who she is today, teaching her of humility and kindness. Wendy became Mother Wenresa thanks to this woman. If she suggests something, it would be for the better good.

“I guess I’ll do that…” Wendy mumbled before beaming at the woman, “Thanks, Ahjumma. You’re the best.”

Ahjumma shrugged, “Pointing out the obvious isn’t that hard.” she said, “Now, go and get yourself fixed. You only have a little more than an hour left to prepare.”

“But Ahjumma,” Wendy whined, “I don’t want to go.”

The woman flicked her forehead again with a tut, earning a yelp. “If that bastard Jongmin finds out you’ve been sleeping here and refusing to attend events, we’re both going to get it from your parents.”

“I can always charm him into silence.”

“Now, what did I say about misusing that so-called charm of yours?” Ahjumma pulled her to her feet, “Go on, now, Seungwan. They’re waiting for you in the shop. Don’t keep people waiting. The gala’s starting soon, young lady and I heard you’re going to perform.”

Wendy sighed. Ever since she returned to Korea, she had thankfully been allowed to stay away from her family’s social gatherings. However, she received a call from the chairman’s secretary a few days ago, the man informed her that her presence would be required for the company’s upcoming gala.

“It would be nice if you can prepare to play a song or two on the piano.” Secretary Yoo had also told her, “I’m sure it’ll be lovely.”

She had never liked fancy gatherings. Even after all these years, she can never stand the pretentious tension, mindless chatter, and arrogant extravagance, though through time she had learned how to blend in and keep the boredom and exasperation out of her face. Wendy would preferably have none of those rich people crap. She didn’t need to put up with more stress than she already is.

But whatever. It’s not like she has a choice anyway.

“Alright. I’m leaving.” she gave the woman a hug and walked to the door, “See you tomorrow, Ahjumma. Don’t wait up.”

She got out of the house, found the family chauffeur waiting for her, and got into the car. She spent the entire ride contemplating on what to tell Irene Bae tomorrow. ‘I’m sorry’? ‘I didn’t mean what I said please forgive me’? Those just didn’t seem decent enough. It’s not like she did something unforgivable but with her kind nature, she rarely ever snapped at someone so she had no idea what to do and is now wallowing in guilt for having harshly pushed away someone who was genuinely concerned.

In a few, they had reached the shop. Just like Ahjumma told her, the stylists were already all prepped with the makeups, accessories, and fancy clothes laid out. Noticing her arrival, they greeted her and she, as usual, politely greeted back. She liked the people and got along with them well but she enjoyed nothing of what she’s about to go through. Beauty makeovers don’t really excite her much now.

In a daze, Wendy settled on one of the leather seats and told everyone who asked what dress she’d like to wear and how she wanted her makeup and hair done that she didn’t have anything in mind and that they can do whatever they want.

The stylists and makeup artists went to do their thing, magically turning Wendy from a tired hobo to a princess. It’s amazing how much one’s looks can change with a bit of colorful powder and rearrangement of hair. It’s pure sorcery.

“Wendy-ah, are you going to keep this hair color?” Kim Eun Young, the hairstylist, asked.

“Hm? This?” Wendy looked at her purple hair and frowned thoughtfully. “I…” she trailed off, her mind straying. Joohyun-sunbae’s favorite color is purple. “…I think I’ll keep it.”

Eun Young narrowed her eyes and leaned down, resting her face beside Wendy’s and giving her a suspicious look through the mirror, “What’s with that look on your face, hm?” a teasing smirk slowly spread on her lips, “Perhaps…are you trying to look good for someone?”

Heat rushed up to her cheeks, her eyes widening in an instant as she shook her head in vehement denial, “O-Of course not! What are you talking about, unnie…”

The woman chuckled, “How cute. You better introduce me to him someday,” she winked.

Wendy could only smile weakly in reply.

 

***

 

Wendy arrived two hours late.

With her elaborate purple locks tossed over to one shoulder, midnight blue long dress accentuating the curves of her body, and makeup that brought out her beauty to its highest peak, Wendy was bound to turn heads left and right.

Looks started to get thrown at her along with murmurs and whispers and she knew it was time for Son Seungwan to hide in the shadows. Now she’s Wendy Son, daughter of Daeson Group. Her actions wouldn’t affect only her but the entire company and as much as she loathed it, she couldn’t bear to bring trouble to others.

Soon enough, Wendy found herself engulfed in a crowd. A couple had first approached her, introducing themselves as the chairman’s business partners from Hong Kong. A number of gentlemen then joined in the conversation followed by lavish old ladies. Wendy specifically minded her actions around these women. They were nasty enemies to have and were highly sensitive, probably PMS-ing.  

“Wendy. You’re late.”

She turned and found herself face to face with the managing director of Daeson Group. Excusing herself from the conversation, they walked away from the small group. Clenching her jaw, her eyes took on a steely sheath and she bowed slightly, “I apologize for my tardiness, Managing Director Son.”

With classical music playing softly and the chatter of the people in the background, the two engaged on a little staring contest. Wendy refused to back down, steadily meeting Seunghee’s unreadable gaze with her stony one. I’m not about to forgive you just because of one favor.

Seunghee was the first to look away, plucking a glass of champagne from a passing waiter’s tray. She took a sip and sighed, “Come on. Mother and father are waiting.” she grabbed Wendy’s wrist and started to walk.

What?!

Wendy refused to budge, blood turning cold, heart rendered silent. Her expressive face had automatically contorted into a look of complete horror and surprise. No. No no no. No way.

Seunghee looked at her, “What’s wrong?”

“What do you mean ‘Mother and Father is waiting’?” Wendy asked, trying to sound calm, “I thought the chairman and his wife are still in Canada?”

Seunghee raised her brows, “You didn’t know? They arrived yesterday. They’ve been meaning to come here for a while now. Did the housekeepers not tell you? Even Ahjumma?”

Wendy slowly shook her head. Why? Why did they come? For some reason, a foreboding feeling crept up in her chest, making her more nervous than she should.

 

“They probably ordered them not to, knowing how you would react to that news. If you knew, you would have probably stuffed all your things in a trunk and flew out of the main residence to heaven knows where.”

“What about you? Why didn’t you tell me?”

The older woman rolled her eyes, “Look, kid. Do we look like we’re on speaking terms right now? I’m pretty sure you got my number blocked again after calling me a few days ago. If I went to personally see you, would you have listened to me? Besides, I thought the house staff would’ve informed you already. Now come on.”

Seunghee tugged again but Wendy still refused to move. The older woman gave her a sickeningly sweet smile; an irritated expression she only shows in public, fully aware of the watchful eyes. Appearances must be kept.

“Wendy…” she muttered through her grin.

Wendy smiled back, never reaching her eyes, “Why are they here? Why am I attending this? What are they up to?” she asked in a low voice. Then she narrowed her eyes at the older woman, fear having a vice grip around her heart, dread clawing its way up .

“You didn’t do it again, did you?”

No. Oh god, please no.

Seunghee’s smile dropped, morphing to a grim line. The look in her eyes made Wendy nervous. “It’s better if they answer those questions themselves but as for the last one, did you not talk with her yet?”

“With who?”

“Bae Joohyun, of course.”

Wendy warily looked around, afraid someone overheard, “Don’t speak of her name.”

“I had a few words with her at the hospital. That should be enough to reassure you, I hope.” Seunghee tugged at her wrist again, “Come now, Wendy. Let’s not keep them waiting.”

She wondered what the older woman might have said to Irene Bae. Why would she be reassured? Does that mean Seunghee didn’t tell on her like she did three years ago? She could only hope that Irene Bae won’t be dragged into all these. If they ever lay a finger on her…Wendy wouldn’t know what she might do.

At the same time, Wendy knew something was about to go wrong with her parents. Her sense of dread was strong. She wanted to pull away from Seunghee’s grip and run out of the damned ballroom. But she knew the consequences of her actions. Shipped back to Canada, forced to get a degree, maybe even a doctorate in business. They got you wrapped around their finger.

Resigned to her fate, Wendy sighed, “Alright. Please lead the way, Managing Director Son.”

Her heart bounced anxiously in her ribcage as Seunghee dragged her through the place, smartly avoiding people who looked like they wanted to strike a conversation. The older woman led her up to the second floor where a VIP lounge overlooking the entire gala was situated.

Naturally, the chairman and his wife were there.

Seated on the posh leather couch with a glass of wine in hand, Seunghee’s father looked exactly how Wendy remembered him to look like; gentle and soft, almost pretty even. It was like looking at a male, older, harsher version of herself. Wendy loathed the fact that she resembled the man so much.

Beside him was his wife, still sporting a look of apathy and a regal air. The CEO looked more like Seunghee than Wendy and Wendy’s fine with that. The woman had done nothing—literally nothing—in her life except watch. Wendy can still remember the way those unfeeling eyes watched her as she grew up, watched her suffer, and watched her disappear without even batting an eye.

Wendy felt Seunghee squeeze her wrist briefly before letting go. The older woman bowed. Wendy followed suit.

“Long time no see, Wendy,” CEO Son smiled at her, “How have you been?”

That’s it. No hugs, no specific questions with actual interest, no ‘I miss you’s—nothing. Just a plain, bland, and rhetorical ‘how have you been’. Everything really was just as usual.

But why were Wendy’s instincts still telling her to run?

“I’ve been doing well, maam. Thank you for asking. Please don’t concern yourself with my wellbeing.” Wendy plastered on a smile, “When did you arrive? It’s a pleasant surprise. Will you be returning to Canada soon?”

“Why, aren’t you impatient, child,” the chairman spoke up, peering at her over the wine glass, “Asking when we’ll leave when we’ve just arrived.”

Like a robot, Wendy bowed, “My apologies if I have offended you, Chairman Son. I am merely curious about your itineraries.”

The man grunted, “Seunghee, get this girl to prepare and tell Secretary Yoo to fast forward the event. I want Wendy to perform in an hour so we can get this over and done with. Jetlag is being terrible to me.”

Seunghee bowed and dragged Wendy down to the ballroom but instead of bringing her backstage to get ready for her piano recital, she pulled her to a dark, secluded corner and warily looked around to make sure no one lurked nearby.

“What’s wrong with you?” Wendy asked, bewildered by the woman’s actions. “Why are we here?”

Seunghee turned to her and gripped her shoulders. “Listen. Do you know why they’re holding this party?”

Wendy blinked dumbly. She didn’t. Secretary Yoo only told her to prepare a piece and attend the gala. Nothing more, nothing less but Wendy was used to that. She had always been expected to obey and never get to ask ‘why’.

“They’re holding this party to celebrate our new partnership with BK Holdings.” Seunghee explained.

Wendy was still confused, “Okay? Congratulations? That’s nice, I guess?”

Seunghee’s nails dug under her skin, “BK Holdings is a powerful company. They don’t make partnerships easily. They have a single son just around your age. Do you know what that means?”

For a short moment, Wendy’s system stopped working. Her blood froze over, her heart stopped beating, and her lungs ceased to take in air. Her jaw went slack and for a few seconds, her face was completely blank as she processed everything.

BK Holdings. Partnership. Son. Heir. My age.

With a jolt, Wendy abruptly stepped back, breaking free of Seunghee’s hold. Hot pressure pushed behind her eyes, a lump forming in . She looked at the woman with eyes glistening with hurt and disbelief.

“A-An engagement?” she asked in a harsh whisper, “They—They’re marrying me off?”

She hoped Seunghee would burst out laughing and tell her it was just a silly joke but the woman remained to look at her grimly, nodding her head once in affirmation.

Wendy backed into the wall, opening and closing , not finding words to say as closed up. She didn’t know what to do. She felt like a frog stuck inside a well and suddenly someone covered the only opening, taking all hope away.

“Why?” she took a shaky breath, “Why are they doing this? I…I didn’t do anything wrong! I’ve been a good girl! I…I denied myself of…of everything because I knew they would never approve!”

 I denied myself of her.

“You’ve seen it coming. Our fate is fixed as soon as we’re born into this family.” Seunghee bitterly said, “Just because they let you go here in Korea and study music doesn’t mean you’re free. They’re going to marry you off to that handsome rich bachelor. You’ll still be entwined to the business world despite having a degree in music, they’ll get their desired shares, their business will boom with the partnership, and they get to correct and tell you what you should be. In the end, they win.”

Wendy clenched her fists. Anger rising and replacing her initial fear and panic. “Why are you telling me this?”

Seunghee looked at her straight in the eyes, “I made a mistake three years ago. I thought what I did was right. That in the end, telling them about her and your relationship is for your own good. But after seeing my little sister change so drastically right before my own eyes, I started to regret my actions. I know I can’t just say ‘I’m sorry’ and be over with it. So instead of saying sorry, I’m telling you this instead.” she grabbed Wendy’s hand and gave it a squeeze, “Don’t let them win, Seungwan.”

Wendy stared at her sister, unable to respond. A part of her wanted to pull her into a huge, tight hug but the other, bitterer part of her hissed in distrust, warily baring its fangs. How do you know she’s not deceiving you, leading you to a trap?

Seunghee’s eyes shifted somewhere behind her before meeting her gaze again, raising her brows. “Well? What are you waiting for? The doors are open.”

In a daze, Wendy stepped back, turned away from Seunghee’s encouraging smile, and advanced to the doors as fast as she can in her high heels and long gown.

 

***

 

Joohyun tossed and turned in bed.

The red digits on her nightstand told her that it was way past her sleeping time yet sleep still evaded her. She had already counted enough sheep to feed the entire population but she still couldn’t find her way to dreamland.

Perhaps it’s because of the huge boulder that is Wendy Son blocking the entrance.

Joohyun huffed in annoyance, turning to another side.

The younger girl had been making it hard for her to both fall asleep and accurately count the sheep jumping over the fence. Joohyun had been overthinking and overanalyzing what the girl had said earlier that afternoon and it really wasn’t healthy.

‘It’s none of your business, sunbaenim.’

Joohyun groaned and ruffled her hair in frustration, rolling over to the edge of the bed and stared at the view of the city lights outside her wide window as she started to wonder again.

What did Wendy Son mean? That Joohyun should stay out of her matters? Does she want Joohyun to stay away? Was Joohyun reading her the wrong way all the while? Or was Wendy Son just plain angry and wasn’t thinking when she said that? Or did she mean that she just didn’t want to talk about the bruises and didn’t really mean that Joohyun should, like, completely off?

Joohyun sighed in frustration and turned to lie on her back. Sure, it was stressful but she wouldn’t be sleeping without solving her problem. If she did, she felt like she’d lose. And she didn’t like losing.

She was in the middle of forming her theory when the doorbell rang and scared the hell out of her, making her visibly flinch and let out a squeal. She stayed still for a moment, thinking it was someone who got the wrong room or a wasted person wrecking the hallway.

Ding-dong. the doorbell rang again followed by another not long after.

“Who the hell…” Joohyun muttered in irritation as she slipped into her slippers to go and open the door, maybe even give the person a scolding or two. She grabbed an umbrella along the way for safety precaution and hefted it before opening the door.

“Wha—oof!” Joohyun staggered back at the sudden weight thrown at her. It all happened too fast. The person had lunged at her before she could even blink or see their face yet she knew.

She always knew.

“Wendy-ssi?”

It all happened in a blur but the woman’s scent gave her away. Joohyun can recognize that fragrance anywhere.

The girl didn’t reply and instead tightened her hold and buried her face deeper in the crook of her neck. Joohyun gingerly wrapped her arms around the other’s tiny waist, afraid she’ll break. Wendy Son was trembling badly. Her shoulder soon felt wet and only then did she realize that the woman was quietly crying.

She didn’t know what to do. She at comforting people and Wendy Son had literally told her to stay out of her business. But hearing the usually smiling and cheerful girl’s sniffles and quiet sobs made her want to do something. And so she offered comfort the way she herself preferred to be comforted.

Without words, Joohyun held her tight, rubbing comforting circles on the small of her back, and patiently listened to her cries until there’s no more, hoping her presence alone would be reassurance enough to ease the pain inside.

Soon, Wendy Son’s sobs trailed off until she completely stopped, just standing there in Joohyun’s arms. She felt her move, probably wiping off tears, before she pulled away. Not wanting to let go, Joohyun’s arms stubbornly remained loosely wrapped around the other girl’s waist.

Wendy Son refused to look at her but even in the dim light, Joohyun could see the younger girl’s red and puffy face, ruined makeup, fancy hair, and her surprising long dress. She wagered the girl wore heels too, because she now stood taller than Joohyun who had always been the taller one between them, even just for a centimeter.

But no matter how curious she was as to why Wendy Son had come knocking at her door and crying on her shoulder wearing unexpected clothes, Joohyun shoved the questions away and waited for Wendy Son to speak first.

“I…um…” Wendy Son’s voice came out hoarse from all the crying, “I’m sorry about that,”

Joohyun didn’t reply and merely stared at the girl, waiting for more. When Wendy Son didn’t say anything else, she sighed and stepped back. “Come on in.”

The purple-haired girl looked at her with wide, questioning eyes but before she could reply or worse, reject the offer, Joohyun had already grabbed her wrist, dragging her into her apartment all the way to her bedroom.

“Change into these. That dress looks uncomfortable and I bet the heels hurt as well. You can also wash up in the bathroom if you want.” Joohyun told her as she took out her warmest sweater and sweatpants from her closet, “When you’re done, let’s go out and have a walk. The night breeze will help clear your thoughts.”

Wendy Son still looked at her with confusion written all over her puffy, red eyes. Joohyun stared back, wondering what could have hurt such a precious little thing and ended up feeling angry at whatever it was. Wendy Son doesn’t deserve this.

Kind, caring, lovely Wendy who has supernovas in her eyes, Wendy who puts others first before herself, Wendy whom you need to give all the love to.

I’ll give it all to her.

 

***

 

The night was dark for the moon was young and the stars were asleep and rare.

Joohyun randomly recalled the line from the poem A Ballad of a Mother’s Heart, thinking that it depicted their night quite accurately as she gazed up at the endless rolling pitch black sky. She stole a glance at the girl walking beside her and wondered what she was thinking. The open book that is Wendy Son was doing it again, words smudged and incoherent making Joohyun have trouble reading.

The cold breeze blew and Joohyun shivered. Their arms brushed and their knuckles grazed multiple times. The tension and hesitance killed her. Unable to hold it any longer, Joohyun grabbed the other hand and intertwined their fingers together. Almost in an instance, warmth spread through her body and she sighed in contentment.

Wendy glanced at their joined hands and back up to the person holding hers. Irene Bae had a serene look on her face, looking ahead as though she had not just grabbed her hand out of the blue. Wendy didn’t mind though. It was nice. It’s like electricity flows from her hands and it really comforts me.

Wendy gazed up at the sprinkle of stars on the sky, the sight triggering a memory.

“Did you know that humans are literally made of stardust?”

She could almost hear the dreamy wonder in Irene Bae’s voice when she talked about stars. It tugged on her lips and she relived the entire memory.

“You believe that stuff?”

“Physicists say we are made of intergalactic debris and far-flung atoms, shards of carbon nanomatter rounded up by gravity to circle the sun. So yeah, I don’t see why not,”

Wendy remembered being mesmerized at the sparkle in the older girl’s eyes when their gazes met because the girl with stars for eyes just had to be into astronomy before snapping out of it with a chuckle, more in disbelief with herself than anything. “You’re such an astronomy geek. I should’ve known…tell me more about our stardust ancestors then, Professor Bae,” 

The small smile on Irene Bae’s lips then was more enchanting than the stars, more mysterious than the universe. Wendy found herself hooked, curious. “I once read that the nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies. We are made of the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of stardust.  Don’t you think that’s beautiful?”

“It is,”

(And when she said that, she knew she wasn’t referring to the concept of stardust and humans)

(And that was when she started to feel something she shouldn’t:

Wendy might have unintentionally developed a little crush)

They arrived at a random playground and Irene Bae tugged on her hand, guiding her to sit on the swings. Basked in the silence of the night, they sat beside each other, mindlessly swaying on their swings.

Wendy then remembered the harsh words she spat earlier that afternoon and instantly felt guilty. Ahjumma’s voice spoke in her mind, Apologize. Tell them you didn’t mean it.

“What is it?” Irene Bae suddenly asked and Wendy realized she had been staring. She quickly averted her gaze.

“Nothing. It’s just…” she stared at the sneakers Irene Bae lent her, “How can you be so calm and accepting? I literally snapped at you back in the music room.”

The girl thoughtfully hummed, “Well, I’ve told you much worse multiple times yet you never backed off and that’s annoying so I’m just returning the favor. Feel annoyed yet?”

Wendy chuckled. She then understood. Irene Bae had never meant to say all those things in the past and this weird, bubbling feeling in her chest must also be what she felt when Wendy insisted to stay.

“A little.” they shared a smile.

Turns out she was stressing over nothing. With Irene Bae, there just wasn’t a need to say things like I’m sorry and thank you about matters like this. That was just the way the older girl worked. Somehow, she always understood.

Irene Bae suddenly grabbed her hand, cold fingertips tenderly running over the bruised knuckles.

“I got angry this afternoon,” Wendy told her, deciding that she owes the girl at least this much, “So, I, um, well, kind of exploded and wreaked havoc in the girl’s comfort room.” she blushed, now feeling embarrassed at her irrational outburst.

“Why?” came the soft reply.         

Wendy shrugged, trying to ignore the flutters in her stomach as Irene Bae continued to examine her hand. “I was angry at myself, I guess? I’ve been feeling…too much all at once and I got frustrated,”

“And I got caught up in that frustration.”

“Well, yeah.” You’re actually the main point of all that frustration. “You can say that.”

“I see.” Irene Bae stopped tracing the discolored spots and gingerly intertwined their fingers instead. There was only silence that followed yet Wendy knew Irene Bae was waiting for her to say something.

The stillness told her that the girl was ready to listen to more sensitive matters such as the reason why she suddenly barged in crying yet if she chose to remain silent, Irene Bae would be respecting that decision too.

Wendy took a deep breath and pondered on what she’d say. Just how much of the truth was she willing to spill? Did she want to say something at all?

Then she sneaked a glance at Irene Bae, trustworthy and reliable Irene Bae who cradled her hand on her lap as though it was the most precious thing in the world and wondered why she even doubted at all.

“Son Seunghee.” Wendy started, “What did she say to you back in the hospital?”

Irene Bae looked up from their intertwined hands, “Son Seunghee? She said a lot of things. She asked me to do her a favor for one.”

Wendy narrowed her eyes, feeling slightly wary, “What favor?”

“Are you guys sisters?” Joohyun asked, “She asked me to ask you that.”

Wendy pursed her lips. Even now, she had no definite answer to that. If it was another day, she would have undoubtedly answered a blunt and harsh ‘no’. But after Seunghee had seemingly sided with her at the party, her feelings were a mess.

“She also said something else,” the older girl continued when Wendy kept her silence, watching her intently, “She said that she hopes to see me soon. And when that happens, I can count on her that she’d be on our side.”

Wendy met Irene Bae’s gaze, “…she said that?”

The girl nodded.

Wendy smiled and shook her head. Her heart warmed. It felt nice to have her sister back.  “Well, she is still my sister at the end of the day, after all.” she said, making a mental note to take the older woman out to eat someday, “But I’m afraid she won’t be seeing you again.” her smile turned melancholic.

“Why not?”

Wendy averted her gaze as well as her question, “Joohyun-sunbae, do you want to hear a story?”

Irene Bae creased her brows, “What story?”

“A story of a coward who gave up her love out of fear.” Wendy answered, chuckling at herself, “See, there’s this coward who lived strictly by the stifling rules and regulations set by her parents and the society she lived in. She strived to be someone people would be proud of so hard it’s a bit pathetic.”

“Did she?”

“Huh?”

“Did she make her people proud?”

Wendy smiled bitterly, “I don’t know. Maybe. But if she ever did, she soon let everyone down. The coward fell in love. She fell in love with someone she shouldn’t feel anything more than platonic friendship for. It confused her to no end. But that person turned out to feel the same and told her to just believe. And she did, stupidly; too young to see that sometimes believing is never enough.

“The first few stages of their relationship was blissful until someone she trusted so much betrayed her and told her parents about the…the abnormality their perfect child was doing. Her parents were terrible. They punished her psychologically, planting into her head in the most cruel, sugarcoated way that if she continued to stray from the straight road they laid out for her, the person she cared for would be in great danger. So the coward, being a coward, got afraid. She left her beloved and returned to that straight path.”

She was suddenly pulled into a hug, comforting lavender bombarding her senses as she buried her face in the soft material of Irene Bae’s jacket. She didn’t even notice the girl stand but suddenly, she was there, wiping away the tears that unknowingly fell.

“Are you still afraid?” Irene Bae softly asked,

Wendy smiled helplessly against the girl’s jacket, “Yes. I’m afraid,” her muffled voice broke and her tear ducts exploded. No matter how hard she held back, tears started to uncontrollably stream down her cheeks, her chest ached and her lungs fought for breath. “I-I’m so, so damned afraid and it ing hurts…”

Wendy sobbed uncontrollably into the older girl’s jacket, fists wrinkling the fabric with her tight grip. She broke down, shoulders shaking and eyes spilling tears that went down like a waterfall.

“I’m…I’m so scared that they might…” hiccup, “That-That they might…” another hiccup.

“Shh,” Irene Bae ran her hands soothingly up and down Wendy’s back, “It’s okay. You don’t have to tell me.”

“But…But I want to…I want to tell you that I’m…”

I’m so scared that they might take you away from me too.

“It’s fine. I already know.”

Wendy doubted it.

She continued to cry until there’re no more tears left and Irene Bae continued to hold her, not running out of comfort to give. Finally calming down, Wendy chose to stay in that position, inhaling the scent of lavender mixed with vanilla that confused her heart, not sure if it should relax or jump around screaming.

“I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to break down on you again like that.” Wendy said with a chuckle, pulling back.

Irene Bae didn’t stop caressing her hair, “It’s fine.”

Wendy leaned in to the touch, “I ruined your hoodie though. Now it’s all wet and wrinkled.”

Suddenly, the gentle touches ceased and Irene Bae leaned down at eye-level, fixing Wendy with a heart melting gaze and a small smile. And then she’s leaning in, giving Wendy a heart attack. She squeezed her eyes shut only to have them flutter open when she felt soft lips pressing against her forehead.

“It’s okay,” Irene Bae leaned down to meet her eyes again, “I don’t mind imperfection.”

Right there and then, Wendy felt all sorts of things happen at once. It was a sensation she couldn’t explain. All those cliché phenomena were happening to her now; fireworks exploding, butterflies fluttering, a thrill and rush in her blood, feeling a strange sense of safety and acceptance.

Right there and then, Wendy realized, she’s falling in love for Bae Joohyun hard

And fast.