Chapter 21

Revel-LOVE

“Hi. My name’s Joy. Can we talk?”

Joy watched as the older girl narrowed her eyes cautiously, pursing her lips before replying, a steely look settling in her eyes.

“I’m sorry. But I don’t talk to suspicious people.”

Joy shrugged, “I get that a lot. But I bet you’ll regret not talking to me.” she said, gesturing flamboyantly to herself, “I’m quite high in demand nowadays.”

Irene Bae frowned, not impressed. And then without another word, she turned her back on Joy and stood, carrying her things and about to leave. The tall girl was quick to block her way. Irene Bae glared at her and Joy refused to acknowledge the chills that ran through her back, bravely meeting the gaze with her own.

I’m Park Sooyoung. I’m fabulous.

“As expected, you’re not making this easy.” she said as she smoothly leaned on the table so Irene Bae won’t be able to pass through, “See, I know who gave you that,” she pointed at the chocolates. “That,” she pointed at the blanket. “And even that.” she pointed at Irene Bae’s chest, “That poor broken little thing you have in there.”

Frankly, Joy wanted to strangle the pretty girl for making her friend suffer so much. However, there was also the fact that Irene Bae was a victim too. She understood where the older girl was coming from and knew that she must be equally if not hurting more. That and the fact that everything was also, at some point, Joy’s fault. The Revel-LOVE team had promised to fix the mess and just as they had started to scrub, bigger dirt had come in the way. Joy felt like she had to do something. The Stupid Cupids must not meddle with this matter anymore, yes. But Wendy’s friends could offer a hand.

Which is why she went there without the fancy gadgets, bringing just her usual, regular, stunning self.

Joy smirked obnoxiously when Irene Bae shifted, tilting her head and now frowning at her curiously rather than cynically. “You’re interested now, aren’t you?”

Irene Bae studied her face, looking confused, troubled, and suspicious, “Who are you, exactly?”

“Park Sooyoung, the gorgeous founder of the infamous Revel-LOVE dating agency at your service, though that’s supposed to be a secret. Be honored, unnie. I don’t reveal my identity just to anyone.” Joy winked and Joohyun’s brows shot up at the drop of honorifics, “But more importantly, I’m also Wendy-unnie’s friend and a concerned citizen who can’t bear to watch the both of you suffer any longer.”

The wariness in Irene Bae’s eyes didn’t recede. If anything, it only tripled. She took a step back and Joy could see her defenses rising high.

“If this is about Wendy Son then I’m afraid we have nothing to talk about.”

Joy shook her head, “It’s not.” she reassured her, “I’m here to talk about business.”

Irene Bae raised a brow, not buying it, “What do you mean,”

Joy shifted her gaze behind the older girl and saw the librarian approaching them. Ah, they must have been quite distracting, standing there and talking.

“How about we take this somewhere else? The librarian looks like she wants to tear off our mouths.”

 

***

 

Joy sipped her tea, humming in satisfaction and ignoring the piercing stare from across the table; curious and demanding answers. She’s surprised Irene Bae was still there, sitting in front of her and not even touching her cup of chamomile.

“Please, have a sip of your tea so you can calm your ,”

Irene Bae’s crossing her arms, not amused. “If we’re just going to drink tea—”

“Oh, don’t worry. We’re not just going to drink it. We’re going to spill tea.” Joy winked but Irene Bae merely stared back blankly, not catching the humor.

“Sorry?”

Joy sighed and rolled her eyes, putting down her cup. She had forgotten about the older girl’s grandma tendencies. She studied Irene Bae; the set of her jaw, the hardness in her gaze, the knitted brows, the pursed lips and deduced that even though the girl tried to hide it away, she was a little nervous and the rigid way she sat was telling.

The fact that she wasn’t walking away from her yet was a flickering hope. The girl knew she was going to talk about matters regarding Wendy but she was still there. It could only mean that she’s willing to listen, right?

“Well, first, there’s something I’d want to tell you in behalf of the entire Revel-LOVE team.” Joy cleared , hoping she’ll come off as sincere as she actually was, “I’m sorry. We’re sorry.”

Irene Bae blinked.

Joy continued, “I started this thing because I thought it would be a good way to practice reading people and along the way, it might even bring happiness into people’s lives so I thought it was harmless. I’d get better with my skills while spreading love and happiness. I didn’t foresee that it could get this serious and for that, I apologize. I’m sorry for manipulating your lives like you’re my puppets.”

If Irene Bae was moved by her speech, she didn’t let it show.

“Okay. Let’s say I forgive you. And?” the girl raised a brow, “What are you going to do about that? What am I going to do about that?”

Joy met the steely gaze, expecting nothing less.

“Forgive Wendy-unnie too. Or if that’s too much, at least listen to what she’s got to say and give her the benefit of the doubt.” Joy said, “It’s not her fault—well, for the most part. I gave her the orders. I told her to do this and that. You should direct your anger at me, not at her.”

Irene Bae scoffed, “Isn’t that the point? You were controlling her the whole time.”

Joy shook her head, “No. Not all the time.” she said, “Wendy-unnie’s human not a robot and humans tend to be rebellious. Humans get to have a choice and I’m telling you, Wendy-unnie wasn’t exactly obedient. She did make things ing complicated for everyone after all.” she sighed, exasperated. “And, of course, human beings are also inclined to develop feelings—really irritating.” she gave the older girl a meaningful look.

Irene Bae frowned, confusion lining her eyes, spilling from her tongue, “What do you mean?”

Joy smiled wistfully, taking her time in sipping her tea before saying her next sentence.

“What I’m trying to say is I can’t really control how she really feels now, can I?”

Irene Bae’s blinking, looking a little too lost, though Joy suspected she already knew the way yet refused to acknowledge the obvious road.

Joy stood, deciding to leave the girl to reflect and sort out her thoughts.

“As someone close to Wendy-unnie, I can say that her sincerity is never faked and you should know that too because honestly? You’re closer to her heart than anyone else ever was.”

She shouldered her bag and turned, about to leave when she suddenly stopped.

“Oh, and by the way.” Joy looked at Irene Bae over her shoulder, “We were stopping our little operation with Park Bogum that day. Wendy-unnie was the reason why we decided to end things and she’s the one who fought Park Bogum when he insisted to continue. Just thought you should know.”

With that, she left the quaint coffee shop, hoping that her little intervention would make a difference.

 

***

 

The bright sunlight pouring in from the wide, glass windows straight to Joohyun’s asleep figure made her stir, a drowsy hand lifted up to shield her face from the light. A few rolls and several stretches later, Joohyun’s sitting up, rubbing her eyes before putting on her glasses and taking a glance at the digital clock on her nightstand. Upon seeing that she still had two hours before her first class for the day, she took her time in doing her usual morning rituals.

She donned on a gray cardigan over a plain black tee and jeans, finishing up with a pair of white Keds. Just like any other day, she grabbed an apple and picked up her books before going out of her apartment.

People bustled out and about as they normally would on a regular weekday which meant getting a seat on the bus was a competition worthy of being compared to the Hunger Games. Joohyun ended up standing but she didn’t mind. Dongguk was just a few stops ahead anyway. But traffic was horrible and by the time she got off, the heels of her feet was aching fierce.

As soon as she arrived at the university, she went straight to the lockers, ignoring the usual stares and whispers and forcing them into white noise behind her head while complaining about how people could gossip rather loudly. Can’t they be a bit more quiet and subtle?

Joohyun took the notes she needed before heading to her first class. She kept her eyes straight ahead, gaze deliberately glacial to discourage any type of approach. A group of rather rowdy students passed her by and she paid them no attention and kept walking.

But her footsteps slowed down to a stop right around the corner, head turning to take a peek at the group of friends, closing in on one brunette in particular.

She looked amazing with the bangs no longer covering her face. Her complexion was nice and her eyes were bright as she laughed at what one of her friends said, the melodic sound carried through the air and reached Joohyun’s ears. She looked fine. She looked great.

Wendy Son looked normal.

She looked just like how she always does even way before Joohyun bumped into her and got coffee spilled on her clothes; bright and bubbly and basically the epitome of sunshine.

She didn’t even spare Joohyun a single glance when they crossed paths.

Even when the group could no longer be seen, Joohyun stood rather blankly there at the end of the hallway with a sting right there on that spot on her chest as she wondered if Wendy Son had finally gotten tired of trying to talk to her. Perhaps she’d already given up trying to get her forgiveness, gotten sick of always having to chase her around.

Joohyun released a deep breath and told herself to cheer up because it’s what she had always wanted to happen, right? She wanted Wendy Son to just off and now the girl seemed to have decided to get out of her life. Everything is back to how it always was just the way she liked it.

Then why does it feel so…

The bell rang, indicating that she had exactly ten minutes left before her class starts. Holding herself together, she resumed walking to her destination rather briskly now with a single thing in her mind shutting up every other thought.

Joohyun and Seungwan are really must not meant to be.

 

***

 

The following days had been rainy due to some sort of a typhoon or whatever, or so the weather forecaster in Joohyun’s television says. The man’s report was barely heard with the strong rain pelting the walls and windows of her apartment along with the occasional rumbles of thunder that often made her jump. She turned off the television and went to fix herself a glass of warm milk.

She cradled the drink in her hands, absorbing the warmth it offered as she made her way to the wide glass windows of her bedroom, sitting on her desk as she looked up at the dark gray night sky and then upon seeing the absence of stars and the moon switching to the empty street of her neighborhood, watching the rain create ripples on puddles instead of forming her favorite constellations.

After taking a few sips from her milk, Joohyun peeled herself away, choosing to sit on the chair on her desk instead, swiveling around so her back faced the windows. Nowadays, she hated the rainy weather. It made her recall memories she didn’t want to go back to.

She thought about her talk with Park Joy a few days back instead. Though the younger girl had come off quite obnoxious, she had admittedly made some points that had Joohyun thinking. That dating agency place actually had a good objective of making people happy, though it still doesn’t justify the fact that they have a rather odd way of achieving that. But they still had a noble intention and that was enough to make Joohyun think that maybe those girls aren’t so bad after all. Wendy Son isn’t so bad either.

Park Joy had told her that it’s because of her that they decided to stop playing with Joohyun’s love life. The girl had also apparently stood up to Park Bogum when he insisted they go on and Joohyun could only have trouble wondering why.

She sighed and took another big gulp of her milk as her thoughts inevitably went to the brunette anyway despite her efforts of avoiding it. Park Joy, with her pensive smile and knowing eyes, had mentioned that she couldn’t control how Wendy Son really feels.

Why? What does she feel?

Probably far from reciprocating what I do, Joohyun thought with a scoff.

She had seen the girl quite a few times earlier today at the university. It was a pain, really, to have most of their vacant times matching. Each time she saw her, Wendy Son would be surrounded by people, a different group each time, and would be all smiles and laughs and Joohyun would have to look away all the time because the sight brought her not only pain but also a flicker of warmth in her chest and she didn’t like it one bit.

Wendy Son seemed to have gotten over her and their issues and even though she would refuse to admit it, she doesn’t feel so hyped about it. Park Joy was probably wrong with what she’s hinting. (No, Joohyun’s not dense. She just didn’t want to assume)

Deciding not to dwell on it anymore, Joohyun sighed and finished the rest of her milk before putting the glass in the sink. She caught sight of the time from the wall clock in the living room and decided to go to bed. It’s getting late.

Just as she was about to wash up, the doorbell rang, making her stop in her tracks to turn to the front door with a frown. Who would visit her at this hour? Juhyun would usually give her a heads up if she decides to stop by.

The doorbell rang again, cutting her thoughts short. Running her fingers through her hair, she eventually went to see who it was.

“Oh my god,” she muttered with a gasp when she peeked into the peephole, hurriedly opening her door. She meant to take the girl inside but she ended up gaping at the sight, stunned.

“…J-Joohyun-sunbae…” Wendy Son choked out with an intoxicated smile, dripping wet from head to toe she couldn’t even identify if the girl had been crying but judging from her bloodshot eyes, Joohyun decided she must have been. Still is, actually, with the fresh batch streaming down her cheeks.

“I-I’m…I’m so, so, so sorry,” the girl spluttered out, sobbing, “I…I am such a idiot oh my god, I’m so sorry. I never intended to hurt you. You’re…you’re too precious. I can’t possibly hurt you on purpose. I-I just wanted to protect you. I…I just wanted to keep you from breaking. All I wanted was to make you happy and…and I know that won’t happen if you’re with me. I know that I would only bring you harm. The consequences… So…So like a fool I…” she was trembling too much she couldn’t finish her sentence.

Joohyun snapped out of it and cursed under her breath, yanking the girl inside by the wrist and grabbing a random coat from the rack to wrap around the frail, quaking body.

“Wait here.” she ordered with a strained voice before rushing off to get extra towels. She got back with the speed of light and focused on drying the girl, jaw clenched and her own hands shaking. She tried to control herself, really but she caught a whiff of alcohol just as the brunette had uttered her name again, making her snap.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” she ran her fingers through her hair, “It’s raining and it’s almost midnight, Son Seungwan! And on the top of that, you’re drunk. How did you even get here? Do you even know how unsafe the streets could be? A fine woman like you, sauntering out late at night drunk. Do you even realize the threat—”

Joohyun’s rant was cut short by Wendy Son staggering forward right into her arms, every tremor in her body felt through the thick fabric of towels and coats. She cursed under her breath again.

“Never mind. You need to go have a hot shower first.” she half carried, half dragged the girl to the bathroom, letting the warm water run. “Can you manage by yourself?”

Wendy Son nodded silently.

Joohyun decided she must be fine, “Put your clothes in the hamper. I’ll leave you fresh ones outside. You know where everything is, right?” another nod and Joohyun left to give her privacy, picking out the thickest clothes for the girl and placing them on her bed. She then prepared Wendy Son a glass of water and a mug of hot chocolate.

Wendy spent most of her time in the shower dazed. She stared blankly at the bathroom tiles, blinking water away from her lashes as she recalled what happened just a few moments ago. She remembered driving to Joohyun’s neighborhood and hesitate right outside her building as she had always been doing every night before giving up, heading to the nearest soju place instead.

She wasn’t even drunk. Just tipsy. And the cold rain along with the biting wind helped clear up the haze of alcohol left in her system. Yet it was still the liquid courage that pushed her to enter the building, ring the doorbell, and pour her heart out.

It was stupid, she knew that very well but at least she had accomplished one thing: she had said what she had failed to say, though they were mostly broken and almost incoherent. But still, progress.

She came out of the bathroom feeling much better. Warmth had returned to her cheeks and the tips of her fingers. The scent of Joohyun’s coconut body wash clung onto her like second skin, giving comfort. She changed into the clothes the older girl had prepared for her; a thick, knitted sweater and fluffy pajamas.

Shuffling out of the room, she went to look for Joohyun and found the girl in the living room, sitting on the couch and fast asleep. Wendy sighed in relief. Though she had gone all the way there and said all those, she still didn’t know what to say without the façade and support of alcohol.

On the table, a glass of water and a mug of hot chocolate sat. Wendy assumed they were for her and downed the water in one swig before taking the hot chocolate, cradling the warm mug in her hands and settling down on the floor, her back leaning against Joohyun’s couch and her knees hugged to her chest.

Wendy sat there, sipping her drink occasionally while staring into oblivion as her thoughts ran. Tomorrow, when they both wake up and are in their right state of mind, what would happen? Would Joohyun finally give her a chance to redeem herself? Or would she remain cold and unforgiving?

What if she still doesn’t believe a single word that I say? Wendy thought, the sweet chocolate in suddenly tasting like raw, bitter cocoa, I can’t blame her though. After everything that happened…hell, even I would have a hard time believing in me.

She sighed, thinking that she had really messed things up.

With anxiety and dread filling her up about her uncertain future, tiredness eventually settled in and slumber took over.

 

***

 

When Wendy woke up the next day, she wasn’t sitting on the floor anymore.

She found herself lying comfortably on the couch, a blanket that smelled of lavender draped over her curled up figure. Her head didn’t ache fierce either. Just some occasional throbbing but it was tolerable. Generally, however, she felt terrible. tasted like rubbing alcohol that had gone stale, parched, and her nose felt clogged, heat settling behind her eyes. She felt a cold coming up.

Slowly, she sat up and rubbed her eyes, still disoriented. A glass was then pushed into her hand. She took a glance at the water before mumbling thanks, thirstily downing the content in one go.

“Now that you’re sober, warm, and dry, I assume you won’t be extending your stay,”

Thankfully, Wendy had finished drinking water or she would’ve choked on it otherwise. She turned to the voice and found Joohyun perched on a seat across her, looking serious and stern with her arms crossed over her chest. That chair wasn’t there last night. The older girl must’ve dragged it over.

Wendy gulped nervously before putting the glass down on the table and sitting properly, her actions deliberately slow to give her time to collect her thoughts that was scattered all over from sleep. The fast and loud beating of her heart vanquished every speck of drowsiness left in her system.

“I—” Wendy’s voice cracked. She cleared , wet her lips, and tried again, “I…I would just like to have a word with you. After that, I’d be on my way.”

Joohyun’s eyes are cold, calculating, wary, and untrusting. Her gaze pierced but this time, Wendy didn’t shy away. She looked right back with her pleading and hopeful stare. She wanted a chance to fix things. She wasn’t sure how but she wanted to try. Because looking into those steely, unfeeling eyes, she knew a heartbroken, lonely, and scared soul still rested beneath, too afraid to show itself. 

Because she knew that even though she looked tough and apathetic, she is still Bae Joohyun;

The girl who has honesty as her middle name, only saying and doing things she actually meant.

The girl whose eyes reflected broken glass yet ironically the only one who had seen through Wendy’s façade of smiles.

The girl who seek warmth not knowing that she herself has a bundle of it and even unknowingly giving it away through wordless comfort and smiles too small yet genuinely sincere.

The girl whose heart is even way more beautiful than her face only that it’s locked away deep inside thick barriers of ice and metal, aloofness and austerity. The heart that Wendy yearned to set free in order to show the world the true beauty that lies within the girl whom they have ignorantly spoken wrong of.

Wendy just wanted to help. She just wanted to be there for her even way before the whole fiasco with her feelings started and made things more complicated.

“How did it end up this way?” she wondered aloud before she could stop herself.

Not having privy to her thoughts, Joohyun scoffed, “I don’t know. You tell me.”

Wendy sighed, “If I tell you that I meant everything I did and said to you, would you believe me?” she asked, “If I tell you that my friendship with you was and still is true, would you believe me?”

The older girl didn’t reply. Wendy continued on.

“Well, I am telling you. None of it was an act. I did and said everything because I wanted to do and say it. Hell, those helpful girls never even told me what to do or say. Yes, my main objective was to gain information about you to help our client but that was only at first. After seeing you better and knowing you a little deeper, I seriously, genuinely, sincerely wanted to be your friend whether the operation went on or not. I wasn’t planning on leaving you after everything is over either, Joohyun-unnie. I was going to stay.”

“Then what now?”

Wendy blinked, confused, “What do you mean?”

“Everything is over. Your little operation is finished.” Joohyun said, “What are you going to do now? Are you still going to stay?”

“Of course!” Wendy immediately answered with no hesitation, “I mean, I am here, right? I’m staying, unnie.”

Ghosts clawed at Joohyun’s feet, dragging her back into the cold. Her monsters showed themselves once more through flurry images of laughter and smiles that had turned into hatred and spite. They whispered at her ear, telling her to be careful of wolves in sheep’s clothing.

And just like that, Joohyun was afraid. Again.

She looked at Wendy Son and thought that if there was a coward among them, it would be her.

A bitter scoff escaped her lips without her permission along with scathing words, “Stay? What a load of nonsense. As if someone could actually stay.” she said, words uncontrollably tumbling out of . “Who’s in charge of scriptwriting in your team? She’s doing great. You’re a wonderful actress too, Wendy-ssi.”

Wendy frowned, the pain flashing in her eyes. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, running her fingers through her hair in apparent frustration.

“Joohyun-unnie. I told you. I.Am.Not acting.” she said, voice strained.

“And I told you. How can I believe a single word you say?” Joohyun stood, walking away before Wendy could notice her eyes glistening, “You should just stay away from me and mind your own business. You’re wasting your time.”

Wendy clenched her fists, knuckles turning white. She abruptly stood, hot pressure building and pushing behind her eyes.

Yes, Wendy wanted to fix things. She wanted to at least try to make things right.

But she was also human and even she could be stretched thin and snap.

Wendy’s tired.

Releasing a shaky breath, she ran her fingers through her hair once more before unclenching her fist, her hand falling limp at her side and shoulders slumping in defeat, all the fight drained out of her.

“Yeah. Alright. Okay.” she mumbled weakly as she shuffled to the front door. With a trembling hand, she gripped the knob, twisted and pulled. She waited; waited for a touch, a call, or maybe something thrown at her—anything to stop her from leaving. She waited for Joohyun to stop her.

But nothing came aside from silence and she could only sigh, starting to accept their fate that was a little too tangled but never tied.

Wendy stepped outside and with one last look over her shoulder, said,

“Good bye, Joohyun-unnie.”

 

 

 

a/n:

hi! 

sorry it took a LONG time but i had to do a lot of travelling during the holidays so...yeah. but i'm back so hopefully, i'd have more time to write (if procrastination doesnt strike that is). thank you for your patience yall <3 here's your update :D

(let's be positive and believe in wenrene!)