Chapter 12

Revel-LOVE

a/n: 

Hi! 

I'm sorry for the long wait. See, I went on a 20 day trip or so to the country and got bombarded by enrollment stuff right after PLUS I had to get my laptop fixed because I sort of wrecked the LCD screen...(long story. i basically murdered the poor thing) but now I got my baby back and hopefully, the updates would be back to normal...whatever normal is xD

Thanks for the patient and all the love <3 I had fun reading your comments :DD 

(And no, Bogum aint gonna die :P)

 


 

 

“Are you sure this is going to be safe?” Wendy asked for the nth time, nervously chewing on her nails while she sat in the backseat, restless. She couldn’t quite trust the little squirt behind the wheel nor the she-demon on the passenger’s seat.

“How many times do we have to assure you that it’s going to be fine?” Joy shot her a not-amused look over her shoulder.

“Stop worrying, unnie. I got perfect score on the test,” Yeri chimed in.

“How am I supposed to trust that?” she retorted, “How would I know if you hypnotized the officers or not?”

Yeri crookedly smiled at her through the rearview mirror, “You won’t,” she winked, “By the way, can you give me this car? You’re not using it, right? Let me have it!”

Wendy eyed the blaring Maserati logo on the steering wheel. This one’s pretty expensive.

“I’ll give it to you if no one dies on this operation,”

Yeri let out a loud laugh, “Yes!”

“Bat Cave to Bat Mobile. Bat Cave to Bat Mobile. Do you hear me?” Seulgi’s voice went through the speakers.

“We hear you, Teddy Bear,” Gorgeous replied.

Then can I remind you that you all must have a screw loose up there? ‘Cause I really think you do,”

“Don’t bother. Wendy-unnie’s been doing that for you,” Yeri said in a gratingly cheerful tone, “Besides, we’re already well aware of that,”

“I really don’t know why I’m working with you,” Seulgi said, “Oh, they’re on the way out,”

Wendy sat up, “That fast?”

“The cabbage didn’t want to watch the movie. Said she had something to do.”

On the front seat, Joy hummed, “Hm, as expected…” she looked at Wendy over her shoulder, gave her one long look of what looked like sympathy, and turned back without explanation.

Wendy could only raise her brows. What was that?

“Wendy-unnie, is the hospital ready?”

“Yeah. I told my aunt we’re filming for a project and she agreed to lend us a few rooms, an ambulance, and a few medics. She only sent the interns though,”

“Your connections are so convenient. Seulgi-unnie, the bystanders?”

“They’re informed. Everyone except the cabbage thinks that all these are just for filming purposes. I’ve put up signboards.”

“Good. Yerm, the police—”

“Are taken care of,” the youngest cut in, “They’re not going in the way,”

“Very well. Get ready, then.” Joy ordered. Yeri nodded and the engine, backing from the parking space and slowly making her way to the road. Everything went smoothly that Wendy was impressed. Maybe they were right after all. Maybe the rest of the operation would go well.

“Cabbage is out,” Seulgi informed them as Irene Bae stepped out of the building, looking rather in a hurry.

Joy tapped her earpiece, “Anytime now, Gummy Boy,”

“Our client is out,”

They watched as the two talked in a bit of a distance. Wendy saw Bogum trying to approach Irene Bae but the latter kept on stepping back. She didn’t have her earpiece on so she couldn’t hear anything but it looked like the guy was pleading and the girl wasn’t giving in.

Irene Bae then started to walk backwards and stepped out of the gutter. As soon as her feet made contact with the asphalt, Yeri revved the engine and the vehicle shot forward. Wendy got up on her seat, hitting her head on the ceiling.

“Kim Yerim, what are you doing?!” she dove for the steering wheel but Joy blocked the way.

“Chill, unnie,”

“She’s going to hit her!”

“She’s not even going past ten,”

Wendy blinked and realized that Joy was right. Yeri was driving slowly but her headlights were to its brightest and she kept pressing the horn nonstop. On the road, she expected Irene Bae to step aside but the girl remained standing there, shell-shocked as she gaped at the headlights.

What the…

Yeri slowed down and eventually stopped just a meter away from Irene Bae. Bogum then made a show of jumping in, pushed the girl out of the way, and collapsed on the ground.

But Wendy’s attention was to the girl crippled on the asphalt. Irene Bae didn’t move to stand. Hell, she didn’t move at all. Overwhelmed with worry, Wendy tried to get off but the doors wouldn’t budge.

“Open the damned doors!”

“Unnie, stay still!”

“How am I supposed to stay still? She’s on the ground, unmoving! I have to know if she’s alright!” she tried to open the doors again, both on the left and the right.

“She’ll be okay, unnie,” Joy reassured her, “You saw it yourself. We didn’t hit her. She’s just in shock. She’ll get over it,”

Wendy clenched her jaw, “You never told me that her life would be endangered by this. All I knew was that you planned to choreograph a fake car accident with Bogum but you never told me she’d be involved.”

Joy didn’t reply.

Wendy ran her fingers through her hair, “Let me out.”

“Bring in the ambulance,” Joy said to her earpiece and on cue, sirens filled the air. Wendy then heard a click. “Go on out. The doors are open,” the girl told her.

Wendy’s hand on the doorknob had started trembling, her knuckles turning white and nails digging into her palm. A medic passed by the window and her eyes caught sight of the words Daeson Group printed bold in his uniform. The things that could happen if she goes out now…

She clenched her fists tighter and eventually let go.

She met Joy’s apologetic gaze through the rearview mirror.

“I’m sorry, unnie,”

She looked away.

Once a coward, always a coward.

 

 

***

 

 

When Joohyun opened her eyes, she was met by a sight that made her flinch in surprise.

“So this is the girl who made my sister finally talk to me again after three years, eh?” muttered the young woman looming over her, so low that Joohyun failed to register what she just said.

“H-Huh?”

“Oh, you’re awake. It’s nothing, dear. Don’t mind me. Just talking to myself. Want some water?” the woman rambled in a surprising speed at the same time offering her a glass of water and pressing the call button for the nurse.

 Joohyun accepted it and took a sip. She blinked numerous times, wiping the blurriness out of her eyes. When her vision cleared, she got a better look at the woman. Somehow, she felt familiar; though Joohyun was sure she had never seen her before.

The woman was of a relatively short stature and had an air of importance about her. She wore a simple white shirt and jeans, her hair spilling off her shoulders, un-styled yet she managed to emit an expensive aura without trying.

Something about her felt awfully familiar…

“Who…” she trailed off, suddenly distracted by her surroundings. Realization slowly dawned on her and only then did she register the medicinal scent hanging in the air, the all-white interior, the needle sticking out of her hand. “Why—Why am I in a hospital?”

The woman raised her brows along with her shoulders, “Well, you’re in a hospital because you were filming something—”

 “What? But I wasn’t—”

“—But then you passed out on the road and my sister called me for the first time in three years—three years, mind you—just to order me to make sure you’re treated well.” she tilted her head and narrowed her eyes at her, “Who are you?”

“I…—”

“Forget it. I think I know,” the woman smiled.

“I’m sorry but, who are you?” Joohyun asked, though she was starting to have a good guess on who she is.

“My name’s Son Seunghee,” the woman offered a hand which Joohyun tentatively shook, surprised by the casual gesture.

“Bae Joohyun,” she replied, retracting her hand. She observed the woman, comparing notes. “Are you Seungwan’s sister?”

“I don’t know. I’m not sure.” came the confusing reply, “Why don’t you ask her for me? You must be close, considering how you’re comfortably calling her ‘Seungwan’.”

Before Joohyun can figure out that answer, the doors opened and in walked a nurse who bowed deep to Son Seunghee before examining Joohyun.

“Do you remember what happened before you passed out?”

Joohyun frowned as she tried to recall.

“We went to the cinema.” She started, trying to grasp the memories strangely beyond her reach. “Seungwan left…Park Bogum suddenly appeared. I…I ran off. And…and then…”

Suddenly, she found it hard to breathe. An ache so strong started to pound her head. Her heart raced like it was running away from something so horrible.

Headlights. Beaming, bright headlights.

Blaring horns.

Blood.

“…hyun-ssi. Bae Joohyun-ssi!”

Joohyun gasped and whipped her head to the nurse, eyes wide and frantic.

“Bogum.” she blurted out, “Park Bogum. Where is he? Is he okay?”

“Miss, what are you—”

“Park Bogum!” Joohyun snapped. “The other guy who went in with me. Where is he?”

“Please calm down. Take deep breaths.” The nurse squirmed and Joohyun realized that she was holding her arm in a vice grip. She immediately let go.

“I’m sorry.” She said, sounding calmer than her frantic heart. “But may I know where he is? Is he alright? Can I visit him?” she asked again, properly this time.

The nurse looked at her as though she had gone crazy but nonetheless answered her questions.

“Mr. Park is in good condition he is currently in the suite across yours. You are allowed to visit him but only after we finish examining you. Is that alright?”

Joohyun sighed in relief, sagging down to her pillows, all the fight drained out of her. She caught Son Seunghee’s eyes from the foot of her bed. The woman was still there, watching her with an unreadable expression. Joohyun averted her gaze to the nurse, feeling uneasy at the familiar shade of brown piercing on her.

The colour of their eyes is too similar. But Wendy Son’s would have offered her comfort and warmth, not distress.

“Where’s Seungwan?” Joohyun asked the woman when the nurse had left, her tongue growing fond of uttering the name. “If she told you to go here, where is she? Why can’t she just visit me herself?”

Son Seunghee’s eyes were stormy even as she smiled. “She’s her own wounds in a corner, too scared to face her monsters.” she tilted her head to the side, regarding Joohyun with apparent curiosity. “And yet here I am on her orders. You must be special.”

Joohyun understood nothing of the woman’s answer. Talking in riddles was something she enjoyed but being in the receiving end of it wasn’t as fun.

“You’re not going to give me straight answers, are you?”

“No.” Son Seunghee bluntly answered, “Now, I thought you wanted to visit that Bogum boy? Come on, I’ll bring you to him.”

The woman started helping her with the IV drip but Joohyun immediately stopped her out of habit.

“It’s fine. I can do it myself.”

Son Seunghee raised a brow but didn’t say anything, letting Joohyun get off the bed and drag her IV drip on her own which the latter was thankful for. She had never liked other people doing things for her, as though they cared.

(And then Wendy Son swept in and did just that. Joohyun can only hate herself for being so weak.)

(For liking it so much.)

Stepping out of the room was a surprise. Tall, burly men in stiff black suits were standing outside her door. Confused, she turned to Son Seunghee who looked like everything was perfectly normal.

Noticing her questioning gaze, the woman raised her brows before looking at the men as though having noticed them just then. She then shook her head and waved a nonchalant hand, urging Joohyun to continue walking.

“Don’t mind them. Go on.” she said yet when Joohyun took a step to the adjacent room, a hand on her shoulder stopped her.

She turned to look at the woman questioningly.

“Please leave us.” Son Seunghee ordered and the men in black bowed and backed away to the corner, turning to face the wall. “I swear their definition of leaving is just…” the woman sighed in exasperation before turning her attention to Joohyun.

“Can I ask you a question?”

Joohyun couldn’t help but frown a little. Now what’s this all about?

“Of course.”

“Do you like Wendy?”

The question, so blunt and straightforward yet whispered so silently that she wouldn’t have heard it if they weren’t standing so close stabbed Joohyun in the gut so hard she couldn’t hold back a cough because what the hell?

Having someone ask a question like that is one thing but having the sister of the said girl asking with such a serious expression is another.

(It made her uncharacteristically nervous, for one.)

(Joohyun wonders if she’s been too obvious, making a mental note to cover the flowers with thicker leaves next time.)

“I’m sorry but that’s none of your business.”

The older woman’s face contorted into a mixture of surprise and amusement, clearly taken aback but not offended, fortunately. Joohyun wouldn’t want that. She didn’t want to leave bad impressions. Especially not on this woman.

But she also didn’t want to admit facts aloud. Not before the one who matters hears it.

“You told me I can ask.”

“But I never said I’d answer, did I?”

Son Seunghee looked increasingly amused by the moment.

“But it is my business. It’s my responsibility to look after her.” she retorted, “I’m her sister.”

Joohyun lifted her brows. “Coming from someone who was unsure of that a few minutes ago, that’s not quite convincing.”

A small, impressed smile curled Son Seunghee’s lips, her head tilting to the side with curious eyes scanning Joohyun like she’s a new specimen.

“You’re interesting.” The small smile bloomed to a bigger one, “I like you.” she decided approvingly with a nod, patting a flabbergasted Joohyun’s shoulder.

The younger girl’s cheeks warmed up, flustered. “…thanks?”

The woman chuckled, “Go along then. I’ll be taking my leave. Since you’re all up and well, my job here is done. It’s nice meeting you, Bae Joohyun-ssi.” She turned and started to walk, the men in black immediately flanking her sides.

“I hope I’ll be seeing you again soon.” The woman added over her shoulder, “And when that happens, you can count on me to be on your side.”

Joohyun watched the woman walk away with confusion. What was that supposed to mean?

Still baffled, she continued on to the door across and entered. The room looked exactly the same as hers. On the bed, Park Bogum was tucked in, white bandages wrapped around his right shoulder down to his fingertips. The sound of his steady heartbeat pinged in the room.

Joohyun bit her lip, slowly approaching the bed. Guilt ate up her chest. A car accident. She clenched her fists. A car accident all because of her. She of all people should’ve known better than be that careless near the road.

She slowly sat on the seat beside the bed, mixed feelings stirring in her gut as she looked at the sleeping face of Park Bogum.

Please wake up soon.

 

 

***

 

 

“You’re horrible, unnie.”

Joy chuckled dryly, “That, I am.”

Yeri tore her eyes off the monitors they installed in the car and glanced out of the window where their Olaf gave out coffee to the hired medics, thanking them for their participation, though her smile never reached her eyes.

She sighed, “Why did this have to happen?”

Joy shot her a look, “So you do know something.”

Yeri scoffed indignantly, “You give me no credit. I may be young but I’m not Seulgi-unnie. I’m bound to notice something even just a bit. “

Joy had to laugh at that but before she could reply, a knock caught their attention. Wendy peered from outside the window, gesturing for them to roll it down.

“Hey. I’m suddenly feeling not well.” The purple-haired girl said with an apologetic smile as soon as the tinted glass slid down, “If you don’t mind—”

“Go, unnie.” Joy told her. The girl had been under too much stress in a short period of time. “You should rest.”

“Thanks. Take care. Stay away from trouble.” As always, their ‘mother’ never forgets to remind them.

“Oh but we are trouble.” Yeri quipped, wriggling her brows.

“Anyone can tell.” Wendy said, “Be a good girl and maybe I’ll give you another car next time.” she winked and walked away.

Yeri’s jaw slacked. “Another car? What—oh my god, you’re seriously giving this baby to me?” she squealed.

Wendy merely continued to walk, waving her hand nonchalantly as a ‘yeah, sure, whatever’ as though she had given away free candies and not a billion-dollar Maserati.

“Woohoo! I love you, unnie! You’re the best!” Yeri yelled, all excited with her new ride.

“Hey, hey, hey! No fair! What about me?” Joy complained but Wendy had already gotten in her Audi and drove away.

As soon as Yeri closed the window, all the energy from before turned somber, “It’s that bad, huh?”

“I’m glad she volunteered to take a break. I would have forced her to go home if she didn’t. Poor girl’’s went through so much in one day.” Joy sighed.

As far as they knew, Wendy had never used the excuse of not feeling well. She never missed an operation or a small meeting because of a cold and even stubbornly attended school with a scorching fever. The girl had always been terrible at taking care of herself as her friends and responsibilities have always been her priority before her own wellbeing.

So when she went up and told them that, both Yeri and Joy knew it was something.

Perhaps Joy had crossed the line, using her knowledge of the older girl’s sensitivity when it comes to her family against her. She sighed, feeling guilty. Wendy and Irene Bae really went and made things ing complicated for everyone. How annoying.

Now she had to do something about it. Unprofessional, yes, but Joy didn’t care. Why did she have to be such a huge softie for that snowman?

But first, work, Joy thought as the monitors showed Irene Bae entering Park Bogum’s room. They watched as their target slowly approached the bed, staring at their client intently. At the same time, the beeps of Park Bogum’s heart gradually increased.

“Calm down, Gummy Boy.” Joy chided, “can you be more obvious than that?”

Fortunately, Irene Bae seemed too distracted to notice. She sat on the nearby chair and continued to watch Park Bogum ‘sleep’. Joy leaned back and watched, waiting for something to happen. A random hand-holding perhaps or a quick caressing of hair just like in the dramas. But minutes ticked by and the girl remained unmoving. Relief washed over Joy. Irene Bae is making things easy for her.

Thank you for not falling for it.

“Okay. Time to wake up, Gummy Boy.” Joy finally said.

“He hasn’t fallen asleep, has he?” Yeri wondered.

“Don’t worry. He’s not you.”

Yeri turned pink. “I knew I shouldn’t have told you about that. Just because I accidentally fell asleep in a phone call with Saeron once doesn’t mean—”

You’re awake.”

Irene Bae’s quiet voice filled with relief made Yeri stop. Joy made a mental note to befriend the older girl after everything is done and keep her close. Anyone who can shut Yeri up every now and then is worth keeping.

Park Bogum made a show of groaning and squinting worthy of the theatre student he is. “…Irene-sunbae..?”

“Yes.” She replied, “How are you feeling? Ah, I should call the nurse.” she pressed the call button on the nightstand.

“Teddy Bear-unnie?”

On my way.

Shortly after, Seulgi entered the room disguised as a nurse.

Joy and Yeri burst out laughing.

“W-What is that face?” Yeri struggled to speak in between laughter.

“Her—pfft—her makeup!” Joy clutched her stomach, chortling, “Who slapped you, unnie?”

“Ah, there are insects in my ear.” Seulgi told no one in particular, scratching her ear with her usual dumb grin. She sat on the seat Irene Bae once occupied and began ‘examining’.

 “Are you the patient’s guardian?” Nurse Seulgi asked Irene Bae.

“…yes, you can say that. How is he?”

“Due to the accident, he fractured his right arm and leg. He won’t be able to use his right arm and walk without crutches and he needs to come back here after three to four weeks so we can remove his cast.” Nurse Seulgi told their target, oh so obviously reading the whole thing from her clipboard, still with her silly smile plastered.

Joy and Yeri could only sigh. Making Seulgi enter the scene wasn’t really a smart move.

“I told you I should’ve played nurse.” Yeri told Joy, “I look good in the uniform and I can do a lot better than this unnie and have I mentioned that nurse outfits make me look really hot?”

“Shut up or I’ll turn you into a patient.”

Meanwhile, in the hospital, Irene Bae didn’t show any signs that she found the ‘nurse’ weird. “I see. Does he need to take medicines? Pain killers or antibiotics or something?”

“No, he—”

Joy slapped her forehead. “Of course he does, dimwit!”

On screen, their Teddy Bear blinked dumbly, “He does?”

Joy and Yeri groaned in unison. At this rate, Irene Bae would surely start thinking that the ‘nurse’ was odd. If she haven’t yet, that is.

“Excuse me?” Irene Bae looked a bit worried now. Great.

“I mean! I mean, yeah! He does!” Seulgi grinned her stupid grin again. Wherever did she get the idea that she should smile at all times?

Irene Bae nodded. “I see. Can I have a list? I’ll buy them.”

On the bed, Park Bogum sat straight. “Sunbae, you don’t have to—”

“Yes I do.” The girl snapped at him before turning her attention back to the ‘nurse’.  “If you can give me a list, that would be nice.”

“No, don’t.” Park Bogum interjected. “Sunbae, please—”

“Park Bogum-ssi.” Irene Bae’s voice was laced with threat, “Let me do this.”

The guy sighed. He looked at Seulgi and smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry but can you please give us a moment?”

Everything from Seulgi messing up to Bogum asking her to leave wasn’t in the script but Joy was thankful for the improvisation. Note to self: never let the bear out in the field again.

Nurse Seulgi was still beaming. “Of course!” she chirped, bowed at them, and went out. “How was my acting?” she asked HQ, sounding so proud of herself.

“Terrible.” Joy and Yeri answered simultaneously.

“Oh come on!” Seulgi whined, “At least give me some appreciation!”

“Your smiles were amazing—”

“Aww, really?”

“—ly out of place.”

An outraged gasp. “But my 3rd grade teacher told me to always smile onstage! I was the main lead in our Helen of Troy play back then, you know!”

Both Joy and Yeri winced at the thought. What a bright and bubbly Helen she must’ve been. And what a strange play for a 3rd grader to present.

“Quit whining and come here, unnie.” Yeri chided.

Meanwhile in the hospital room, Irene Bae and Park Bogum were silent. The older girl had not moved from her spot and the younger guy fiddled with the sheets.

The atmosphere was stifling and Joy, the mighty Stupid Cupid decides to intervene.

“Ask her if she’s alright.” She told Park Bogum.

“Are—Are you alright, sunbae?” he asked, “You’re not hurt anywhere, are you?”

Irene Bae shook her head, “I’m not but you are.” she said. “Why did you do that?”

Park Bogum furrowed his brows. “Then what did you expect me to do, stand by and watch as the girl I like gets run over by a car?”

Joy and Yeri winced. “I think you’re overdoing it.” The younger said.

Irene Bae was now looking at him grimly. Oh, great.

“Apologize.” ordered Joy, “Say Sorry.”

He clenched his jaw, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…” he trailed off, “You know what I mean.”

Irene Bae sighed, “Thank you.” She finally said after a long pause. “I’m the one who should apologize for being difficult and putting you in that cast but please at least let me pay for your medicines. It’s the least I can do to pay you back.”

“I jumped in voluntarily. I didn’t do that to get some sort of a payment. You don’t have to repay me.”

“But I do and I want to.” Irene Bae insisted, as Joy had predicted. Having a competitive and independent nature, it was obvious that the older girl wouldn’t like to be indebted to anyone. She didn’t like accepting help from others, disliked having to rely on anyone.

(Joy wonders how she must’ve felt when Wendy came into her life, knowing the purple-haired girl’s innate tendency to be so damned dependable.)

Owing her life to Park Bogum would make her want to repay in any way possible. Perhaps even to the point of agreeing to be his girlfriend just for the sake of returning the favour.

Checkmate.

But Joy is not aiming for that kind of ending.

As rehearsed, Park Bogum smiled softly, his eyes spilling honey and sending hearts, and said,

“I would be alright as long as you’re by my side. Always.”

Irene Bae processed this a little too seriously and had Joy nervous when her lips pursed and her determined eyes met Park Bogum’s.

“I can do that.” she said, “After all, that’s what friends do, right? Always sticking together.”

Park Bogum frowned.

Joy sighed in relief.