Chapter 8

The Silver thread of Memories

CHAPTER 8;

 

“And sooooo…” The curious excitement in her voice was clear. “How did it go?”

I looked at my unnie, dismal at the meaning look she’s giving me. “Nothing much.”

She frowned at my reply and crawled over to the other side of the bed, where I was flipping through the pages of “해를품은달”

Without a word, she snatched the book away and earned an irritated glare from me. “There can’t be nothing much!” She used my book like a lecture stick and started waving at me disapprovingly. “He’s Lee Taemin for god’s sake! And he came all the way here to visit you!”

 

I sighed and plopped my head on the pillow. “We just had a short talk. That’s all. He asked whether I’m fine and I told him I’m fine.”

“That’s all?”

The moment when he grabbed my arm, the tingling sensation of my skin where he touched and the pounding of my heartbeat as I realized his close presence.....all these scenes reappeared in my mind

“That’s all.” I replied firmly, sat up and reached my hand out to her. “Now hand it over.”

My unnie sighed as she passed over the book. “Poor kid, after all the effort he puts in…”

I looked up from my book with a frown; needless to say, her last sentence caught my attention.

 

“That boy...” I could tell she was trying to be melodramatic. “I heard he hardly had any sleep when he was visiting you during your hospitalization. The makeup assistant was complaining to me that she had to put extra concealer to hide that hideous eyebags of his.” She sighed and cast a glance at me.

“Come to think of it, he doesn’t seem his usual cheerful self when he returned back from his break. Even the director was telling him to smile when the music video was being filmed. I guess he must have been disappointed by someone….”

I made no further comment.

 

**********

I recalled seeing a quote before, somewhere, perhaps on the web, where it said something like the split second before sleep is the most active second of one’s life.

It couldn’t have been truer.

With my head lay on the pillow and the room so silent, thoughts came rushing in.

 

“I hope to get well soon too.” I smiled slightly and looked at him. “That way, I can see your face properly, and remember you well as a friend. I really want to see you soon. Thank you…for pulling me out of the darkness.”

 

I sighed, recalling my past actions. What could have possessed me to say all these embarrassing things to him back then?

My cheeks blushed as I remembered reaching out to touch his face. And to think he’s a famous Hallyu idol!

Oh god no….

Then I recalled my actions towards him this afternoon. I bit my lips, noting how horrid I was to someone who had been so nice to me all this while.

True, he might have been the one who was responsible for making me blind temporarily.

But that was an accident and I had recovered. Besides, I knew deep in my heart, I didn’t blame him, not even a slightest bit.

So why was I so eager to set some distance between him, this person whom I had considered as a friend during my blind state, and me?

Why was I feeling so uneasy and acting so cautiously in his presence?

As if he was….dangerous?

 

A sudden pain seems to pierce through me and I held my breath to hold it down. However as soon as it came up, it disappeared.

I let out my breath, puzzled but I pondered no further about this strange ache.

Instead, a conclusion arrived in my mind, dispelling uncertainties in my heart.

With a smile, I allowed myself to drift off to sleep.

 

**********

Even with you in front of me, I don’t know what to do

[……]

Hello, hello, I brought up the courage

Hello hello, I want to talk to you for a moment

Hello hello, I may be rushing a bit

[……]

Whether I should approach you? Or wait a little longer?

[…….]

Hello hello, I don’t know how you feel right now

 

The words of the song seemed to be taunting him, mirroring the same doubts in his mind.

“Taemin, smile!”  A sharp voice boomed from the loudspeaker. He forced out a bright smile, pretending to look happy at the camera zooming in his face.

“Cut!” the same voice boomed and his smile was dropped off instantly. The camera pulled away to show a frowning director. “What is wrong with you ah Taemin?” His question was stern but gentle.

He smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry Sunbae. I will try harder.”

The older man patted his shoulders in assurance. “Let’s take a ten minutes break.”

He gave a bow to the leaving director and started making his way to his personal rest area, where a simple table and chair awaits him.

But a surprising sight stopped his tracks as he found himself staring at a visitor he never expected.

“Min!” A smiling Seo-Hyun was standing right before him, raising a black plastic bag in her hand. “Want some kimbab?”

 

 


#Author's Note =D

** The book that Seo-Yun is reading, 해를품은달, is called "The Moon that Embraces the Sun". Does it ring a bell to anyone? xD

** At Taemin's part, the song lyrics actually belongs to SHINee's Hello ;)

I think I'm like Seo-Yun when it comes to bed-time. Because when I laid my head on the pillow, I think. A lot. More than I would like to. Sometimes I think its a miracle how I could doze off with so many thoughts in my mind. Until now...I still have no clue how did I manage to sleep at night. Hahaha....

On a random note, I met Yeon-Woo [soft rain] when I went out today. I can't believe I'm reminded of my story even when I'm out *smiles*

Lastly, I wanna just thank all my readers/subscribers/commentors. Thanks for believing in this story to read it thus far. Hee hee!