Chapter 14

The Silver thread of Memories

 

CHAPTER 14;

 

The look on Taemins face when he realized he's not in this chapter. Sorry! (>_<)

 

 

Watching her staring up at him, it seemed as if time had stopped and for a moment, he had forgotten his awkward position on top of the wall. Under the sunlight, he swore an invisible glow seemed to be gleaming from her body, attracting his sight like glue. He was so caught up by her wide round eyes staring curiously at him that his foot slips. 

In the next moment, he found his whole body hurling down to the ground…..

                                                                                                                                                                   

His eyes opened wide abruptly and he shot up from his bed as if he was kicked violently. He scanned his eyes around and took a while to register he was in the hotel suite that he had checked in last night. Realizing he had been dreaming, he chuckled silently to himself and felt a warm presence shuffling next to him. His eyes trailed to his left and found a barely clothed lady asleep, her hands hugging a white pillow to her body. His smile turned wry and he sighed as he swept his fingers through his long black hair. With light movements, he slipped out of bed and put on a bathrobe hanging on the armchair. Another casual glance to the sleeping lady whose name he could not recall, he walked up to the suite’s large window pane that was overlooking the entire district of Jongno, a place in Seoul that held rich history and culture of Korea.

 

In the distance, he could see the entire layout of Gyeongbokgung Palace, surrounded by skyscrapers and crowded traffic. He stared at the scene for a while, half-dazed by memories that were merging with his sights.

In the blink of an eye, his memories had transported him back to a scene six hundred years ago, where he found himself staring at the same place that held no resemblance to the present. The tar roads had turned into dusty dirt grounds, cars had transformed into carts pulled by ox, city people who were dressed in black office suits had became commoners dressed in dull colored hanboks. The only thing remained unchanged was the glorious-looking Gyeongbokgung Palace.

A place where he once lived….and saw her.

 

His heart wrench in pain and he blinked, stepping out from the daze he had set himself upon. The scenes from his old memories dissipated and he found himself staring at the modern day scene of Jongno district once again.

He recalled his morning dream and frowned in thought. Was that a sign? He locked his eyes at the Gyeongbokgung Palace; it seemed to be mocking at him now. He smiled in defeat and head to the bathroom to get ready.

 

**********

Click Play

 

Have a great time last night…..remember to call me again when you need me! <3

-          Jung Min

 

So that lady on his bed this morning was called Jung Min? He shook his head at the message and shoved his phone in the pocket, not bothering more about the woman he had spent last night with. She had merely been a random companion to set him to sleep at ease. Nothing more, nothing less.

He kicked a small stone in his path and looked up at the tall walls of Gyeong-bok-gung Palace. The day was still early and the place only had a few visitors touring around.

He chucked bitterly to himself. In these tourists’ eyes, what were they seeing? Buildings made out of colored woods? Random stone monuments at the entrance of each wooden gate?

He wished he could see this place in the same shallow ways. But he couldn’t.

He knew the stories behind each room in this Palace as well as other rooms that no longer exist thanks to past wars. Even as he walked down this dirt path that was considered to be the back alley of the Palace, memories came flooding back to him.

He looked at those wandering strangers with some envy. How many of them had walked on this Earth with no memories of their past lives?

Or rather, he changed his mental question, how many of them had actually walked on this Earth holding memories of their past lives?

As far as he knew, he was the only one.

He laughed out bitterly and walked further into the back alley and away from the human crowd.  

He walked on, allowing his feet to take him to the place his heart desired.

 There he stopped at a desolate part of the Palace, facing a tall looking stone wall before him.

 

The scene came flashing back.

His young self, dressed in nobleman’s clothes, lurking suspiciously on top of that stone wall. And there was her, standing at this spot he was standing now, dressed in bright colored-hanbok, staring up at him curiously.

The memory of when he first laid his eyes on her brought a smile back to his face. But all too soon, he was frowning, trying hard not to let tears escape out his blurry eyes.

 

Yesterday’s scene surfaced in his mind. A lady that bore striking resemblance to her, walking past him……the elevator metal doors closing his view of her as he rushed forward.

Was she a figment of his imagination? To release him from the insanity because he was missing her too much?

 

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath to calm the rising pain that was threatening to flood his already bruised heart.

Just once….

He pleaded, though he doesn’t know to whom he was pleading to exactly….

Just once…even if it’s a figment of my imagination. Just once more. Let me see her….

 

And then, there was the sound of light footsteps in the distance.

He turned his head.

 

**********

It was only nine in the morning, but the sun was already high up in the sky, shining brilliantly. I strolled around the area, feeling slightly disorientated.

Where am I exactly?

I looked around and found myself at a quiet area. There was no one in sight. Did my group unknowingly left me behind while I was mulling over a certain artifact? While I fretted, my phone vibrated and I held it up to my ears.

“Seo-Yun!” the voice on the other end exclaimed immediately. “Where are you?”

I sighed, continued walking straight with no particular destination in mind. “No idea actually. I just…” I scanned my surroundings. “see stone walls. I guessed I’m in a corner of the Palace?”

I could hear Yoo-Ri sighed. “I just leave you alone for one moment and you got lost during our school excursion.”

“Well…the Gyeongbokgung Palace isn’t exactly a small place” I protested.

My best friend laughed in return. “Just stay around in the area. I have a rough idea of where you are.  I’m coming to get you.”

I muttered an ‘okay’, put my phone back in my pockets and continued walking straight.

 

I gazed at the tall stone wall that doesn’t seem to have an end in my vision. Rows of maple trees planted on the other side had now grown taller than the wall itself, revealing clusters of branches holding leaves of different colors.   I stopped to admire the scenery, watching the wind blew the branches slightly, raining the path before me with red, orange and golden leaves.

And in the middle of the path stood a young man dressed in white, who was lifting his head to the sky, eyes closed and muttering something to the air.

In this breathtaking scenery, his lone presence adds on even more beauty to a picture that was already so perfect; I thought it was impossible to do so.

Unknowingly, I had approached closer to him, wanting to get a better look of him other than the side profile I’ve been seeing from where I stood. The only thing that made me realized I have moved was when he opened his eyes and turned his head to look at me.

 

It’s him.

That was the first thought that crossed my mind the instant our eyes meet.

 

I paused in my steps, wondering if he was mad about yesterday when Kibum had shut the elevator doors in his face, and fearful of his reactions towards it. I stood still, hoping he won’t get mad in this place which unluckily for me, had no audience to remind him of his actions.

Yet, instead of having an angry expression, he looked at me with a gentle smile. 

The bright sunlight was lighting up the colors of the leaves, making them twinkling and sparkling. But at this moment, none was as brilliant and as eye-catching as his smiling face. I was almost half-dizzy staring at him.

He continued smiling at me for a while before his corners of his lips started relaxing and then turned downwards as he continued to look at me, his face was now perplexed.

 

I bit my lip and shifted my legs slightly at my standing spot as he continued staring down at me. His eyebrows furrowing deeper with each passing moment and he started muttering something to the air again.

Has he finally recalled our not-so-pleasant first meeting?

My shifted legs had already positioned themselves, readied to take flight if he decides to charge at me with unleashed anger.

 

But his lips started to quiver as he took one weak step towards me, then another. I looked at him in doubt, unsure whether to run away now or to help him up. He looked like he might collapse to the ground anytime soon.

But in less than a second of musing, he seemed to have regained his strength and walked faster towards me. Before I could even determine my legs to take a step back, he had already grabbed my arm and pulled me forward…till I collided into his chest with his hands wrapped around me tight.

 

In a state of shock, I leaned weakly against his body and inhaled his sweet forestry scent.

“It’s really you…” He mumbled into my ears. “I’m not imagining it. It’s really you.”

He pushed me away slightly and I saw his expression that was so anguished, I was left wordless.

“Don’t you recognize me?” He gave me a gentle yet desperate shake.

I said nothing for I could only stare at his grief-stricken eyes.

“Do you really not recognize me?” His voice was pleading me and a pang of pity hit my heart.

“I…I” My mind was in a whirl. How can I reject him gently without bringing further pain to the look in his eyes?

 

“Seo-Yun!”

 

A familiar voice suddenly cuts through the tension like a sharp blade and I turned around to face the person running towards us. 

The arms around my body loosened and I sensed him taking a step back as well.

“Yoo-Ri! What took you so long?” I let out a breath which I realized, I have been holding in all this while.

Yoo Ri ran up to me and threw a questioning glance at the man behind me. I returned an innocent look as my answer. She sighed and sneaked another glance at the man again before she finally grinned.

“Come on Seo-Yun, the whole class has been waiting for you.”

“Oh no!” I exclaimed, realizing I had completely forgotten about the school excursion. “Let’s go back now!”

 

I took off with her, without turning back to look at the man I had left behind.  I didn’t dare to set my eyes on his pained expression any longer.

Instead, I ran with all my might, feeling the heat of the morning sun shining down on me.

Yoo-Ri however, took a quick look behind her and squealed in delight.

“What?” I turned to look at her, curious of her giggling state. She smiled and her thumbs backwards.

“That cute guy is following us!”

“What?” My eyes widened in surprise and I hurriedly turned around to check my back.

 

And sure enough, there he was, running right behind us, with a triumphant smile plastered across his attractive face, showing off his radiant happiness like a bright morning sun.

Yoo-Ri continued giggling while I metally groaned.

 



 

#Author's Note =D

**Gyeongbokgung Palace - A royal palace located in northern Seoul (Jong-no district). Yes it really exist, and its a beautiful lonely place to wander around =xxx

Yessss! I managed to update fast again! Actually, this chapter ended up with more details than I would like to. I want the events to progress quickly, but I can't seem to do away with my excess writings. Omo...what to do?! But no worries, I will add in Taemin in next chapter! Is anyone curious about the new 'mysterious handsome boy'? Kekekekeke...I can only say, he's not a villain in this story. Anyway, hope you readers like this chapter? Omo...(T_T)