Chapter 4

The Silver thread of Memories

C H A P T E R 4;

 

It’s another different scene again, I thought as I watched at the scenery before me.

The setting sun cast a beautiful orange glow across the landscape of Joseon. Music filled the air as I blew the bamboo flute in my hands, my fingers pressed nimbly over the finger holes, playing the musical piece created from my mind.

I took a deep breath as the last note ended and turned around to meet the figure of my precious guardian, hiding in the shadows of the trees.

“Do you like this piece?” My voice sounded slightly older than the previous, as if I was an adolescent.

“This humble servant dares not comment, my lady.”

I recognized that voice instantly. It was him again.

 

I smiled slightly, hiding the disappointment arising from his indifference and turned back to face the darkening scenery before me.

“I made this piece just for you…” I whispered sadly to myself as I gazed into the faraway.

How can I save him, from the darkness within his heart?

 

**********

 

I woke up to a voice, humming softly to a tune. It was a male voice that belonged neither to my family nor friends, but it was strangely familiar.

“You are….?” I finally spoke out, unable to contain my curiosity.

The humming stopped abruptly and I heard shuffling sounds as the person sat up and turned towards me.

“I’m…erm…I’m….” The voice stuttered nervously.

“Do I know you?” I continued, rubbing my eyes futilely to clear the blurry visions. “I can’t really see properly right now to recognize you.”

“Stop!” I felt his hand on mine, preventing my actions. I froze upon his sudden touch and the hand released me immediately.

“Sorry!” I could hear his soft groan and the sound of his hand brushing his head furiously at his mistake.

 

I smiled. “That’s okay. But who are you?” I sat up and leaned towards the blurry figure, trying to get a good look. “I think I heard you somewhere before, but I just couldn’t recall. I’m kind of bad with remembering people.” I admitted shyly.

 

“I’m….” He stuttered again and falls silent. “I’m Min.” was what he said in the end.

“Min…” I repeated, my mind churning at incredible speed, recalling faces of the names I could bring to mind, but none turned up.

I mustered at what I assumed to be an apologetic look at him. “I’m sorry. I can’t recall you. But I think I do know you since your voice sounded so familiar to me…” I frowned again as I tried to remember. But his name only turned up a blank face in my mind.

“That’s fine.” He assured me.

“But!” I was about to protest further, when a hand started patting my head gently.

“It’s fine.” His tone was gentle as well. “Just think of me as your friend.”

 

My heart thumped and I held my breath in reaction. The strange sensation felt like a warning, foreboding me about the many uncertainties that will arrive with the presence of this mysterious man before me. But I couldn’t quite put my finger on this peculiar feeling.

All I could do was to mumble a soft “Okay.”

 

**********

 

My third morning in the hospital, where I was surrounded by my family, who were waiting anxiously as the doctor examined my eyes.

“How long will it take, doctor?” My parents asked as the doctor finished the examination. I sighed and leaned against my upright pillow, slightly annoyed at my Unnie who had told my condition to our parents even though I told her not to. Guilt rose within me as I caught on the fatigue in their voices. They had dropped all their work and travelled half the world back to see me.

 

“Looking at her condition,” The doctor’s words broke my thoughts. “she’s only slightly better than blind at the moment. Though it’s only temporal, it may take up to days, or weeks.”

His answer shook me; to say I was scared would be an understatement now.

I was terrified, though I only showed it in my clenched fists that were hiding under the blanket sheets.

“It’s okay Appa, Umma. Its only temporal right?” I faked on a brave front and managed a weak smile. “I’m sure I would get better soon. Lucky there’s still the holidays for me to recuperate!” I swallowed a lump in my throat at my false optimism.

I simply can’t allow my fears to worry my family any further.

 

*******

 

“Can you hum that song that you were humming?” I called out to my mysterious friend when he visited me for the second time. “the one you hummed when you first visit me?”

“You heard that?” His voice was frantic and it sends a chuckle from my lips.

“Yes, but it’s nice.” I leaned my back against the pillow. “It calms me.”

 

He gave slight coughs to clear his throat and started humming softly. I closed my eyes, listening intently to his music, allowing it to wash away all the fears and uncertainties that were locked up within me.

But like all music, it ended all too soon. I sighed as soon as he stopped.

“What’s wrong?” His concerned tone brought my attention to him.

I gave a weak smile and started fiddling my hands, trying to think of what to say.

Silence filled the room as he sat and waits patiently for my reply. I finally gave in and faced, in a direction which I assumed was at, him.

“I’m…scared, Min.” I struggled to find the words, the back of my mind wondering why I was revealing such fears to this mysterious face-less friend, the same fears I dare not even hint to my own birth parents. “I’m scared I won’t be able to see again.”

 

I paused my confessions, suddenly feeling stupid for revealing these uncertainties and fears to this man whose face I couldn’t remember. Once again, I was holding my breath in; the foreboding sensation was coursing through my body again, making me tensed for no reasons as I waited for his reply.

Min never replies. Instead, I was greeted by a pat on my head. He continued to pat my head till he said he had to leave. As he walked away, I thought I heard a faint ‘Sorry’ from his lips.

But I couldn’t be sure.

 

 


#Author's Note =D

Another chapter update! Just wanna thank those who believe in my writing so far! *blush*.

Oh and thinking back, I forgot to mention the meaning behind the name of Lady "Yeon Woo". It means misty rain, or soft rain falling through the fog. I love this name! And yeah, it was inspired by a recent Korean drama that I'm currently watching. Kekekekeke~