Chapter 3

The Silver thread of Memories

C H A P T E R 3;

 

He found himself staring at the full moon. How bright and close it was. Shouting’s in the distance caught his attention and he found himself staring at familiar place. He can’t be sure why though. He knew he had never stepped into such a dark forest before but…

“Don’t let him get away!”

He turned his eyes to a line running flames in the distance. Narrowing his eyes to get a better view, he saw a group of men holding torch fires in their hands, pursing after a limping lad.

 

The limping lad was heading towards him. His heartbeat quickens as the lad approaches, quickly closing the gap between them.

“Faster!” The lad, he noticed, was no younger than he was, shouted breathlessly at him.

But he could find no words to reply. He was rooted to the ground.

The young lad finally reached him and tapped one hand heavily on his shoulders.

He held his breaths as the lad’s face leaned close to him and whispered something to his ears.

 

Then out of nowhere, an arrow buzzed through the canopy and plunged right into his back.

 

The grip on his shoulder tightens monetarily before letting go.

His heart pound faster, his mind recalling the fleeting voice of the young lad’s word as the surroundings starts to fade and lightens up.

“Save her….”

 

**********

 

“Taemin…” He heard a faint worried voice.

“Taemin ah….” The voice got stronger. “Taemin, can you hear me?”

A bright light pierced through the darkness in his vision. He realized he had already opened his eyes and was staring at the ceiling’s light.

 

“Can you recognize who I am?” Kibum’s face blocked the view.

“Yes, hyung.” He replied and tried to get up. But his entire body ached in protest as he did.

“Ow..” He said, surprised as he finally sat up proper on the sofa. “What happened?” He stared at the crowd of people in the make-up room. “And what are all of you doing here?”

“Don’t move yet.” Jinki instructed. “You ran, bang into someone and fall on the floor. Remember?”

 

His mind spun back to the event. He was laughing, running away from Minho who was chasing after him. Then he knocked into someone. Things were flying around. His arms automatically grabbed her in response and both of them fall; him instinctively protecting her body from the hard ground as he shut his eyes tight and braced for the hard impact.

Once they landed, he opened his eyes and found himself disoriented, by the petrified look in her onyx-colored eyes.

Her onyx-colored eyes….

 

He snapped back to reality. “How is she? The girl?” He asked in panic. “Is she fine? Where is she?” Everyone fall silent.

“Where is she?” He repeated urgently, the agitation in his mood raised rapidly.

The leader of the group grimaced. “We sent her to the hospital.”

 

**********

 

“Lady Yeon Woo…” Someone was calling out. “Lady Yeon Woo…”

Was she calling me?

But that’s not my name.

 

“Lady Yeon Woo, it’s dangerous to sit there.” She called out again.

Sit there? Pink petals flew gently past me. I was sitting on a…cherry blossom tree branch?

Despite her warnings, I ignored her.  Instead, my eyes were fixed at the landscape of short, old houses that reminded me of traditional folk villages.

Was I looking at a city from the Joseon era? It was amazingly beautiful.

 

“Lady Yeon Woo, please…” She pleaded. I continued ignoring her, swinging my legs back and forth as I enjoyed the view from the tree top. Something felt loose and slip off. I looked down and saw a small pale pink cloth shoe lying on the green grass.

Was it mine? It looked like a child’s shoe.

My gaze trailed to my hands. They looked small and delicate, like a young child, probably four or five years of age.

Strange…

I raised one hand closer and flexed them. The small fingers twitched and moved as I commanded.

It’s really me. I’m a…child?

 

As I was pondering over the oddness of the situation, I felt something held my foot gently. I looked down immediately and saw a person slipped the fallen shoe on my foot.  The person kept his head lowered so I could not see his face features. After putting my shoe on, he knelt on the grass and bowed at me till his head touched the ground.

“My humble greeting to Lady Yeon Woo.”

A young boy’s voice.

Who is he?

 

“Who are you?” My childish voice enquired as I continued staring at him from above.

His clothes were gray and tattered, as if he has worn those for a very long time. His hair was unkempt and fall lightly on his shoulder.

 

“I am a lowly slave, my Lady.” He spoke quietly. “I do not have a name.”

“How could a person not have a name?” I replied, feeling slightly annoyed at his self-condemning reply.

“Rise. I wish to see you proper.”

 

He stood up, straightened himself and lifted his head up…..

 

**********

 

“Seo-Yun, can you hear me?” An urgent yet worried tone called for me. “Seo-Yun ah…”

I winced in pain as I opened my eyes and turned to the source of the voice I recognize. “Is that you, Unnie?”

A loud breath of sign was let out. “Thank God you’re alright!” She hugged me tight as I rubbed my eyes. “You had me frightened for a while. Especially when you fainted right after Taemin-ssi bumped into you. I think I over-panicked a little.” She chucked embarrassingly. “I hurried you to a hospital right away.”

 

I blinked my eyes slowly as I took in her words.

“Don’t worry though!” She continued on cheerfully. “The company has promised to compensate you! And they will double your pay as an apology! It sounds like a stingy compensation that we don’t need. But oh well, let’s take that as a blessing in disguise shall we?” she pat my back heartedly.

I smiled weakly. “I guess.”

“What’s with you? Are you still tired?”

I turned to her voice’s direction. “Unnie,” I spoke in a soft trembling voice. “It’s not dark in here right?”

“No.” The woman replied quizzically. “Why?”

 

I took in a deep breath to calm my shaken state as my fears were confirmed.

“I think I lost my sight.”

 

 


#Author's Note =D

And the mystery continues. xD On a sidenote, I'm glad that I am able to update this story daily. But then again, this means that I'm neglecting my stacking pile of homework..... (T_T) And I just wanna thank people (or just a person *cough*) for sending a message to me. That comes as a pleasant suprise indeed. I'm touched . Really. (oT^T)