Chapter 2

The Silver thread of Memories

C H A P T E R 2;

 

I was screaming out his name, but it was inaudible to my ears.

He clenched his injured shoulder, I could tell he was trying his best to tolerate the pain from the way he bit his lower lip.

And that was all the pale moonlight revealed of his face.

The fear was starting to creep on me.

But I didn’t fear for myself.

I feared for him.

 

**********

 

I yawned, blinking rapidly the tears of tiredness away. I hadn’t had a good sleep since I started working here. It was partially because of the long hours here and, I yawned once more.

That dream again.

This time round, it had progress further from the usual scenes. But it wasn’t much. And it was really starting to affect me.

Why do I have this recurring dream?

Was my mind trying to tell me something? Something I had forgotten?

Or was it because I watched too much television dramas recently that I’m dreaming them in my sleep?

But, it strangely felt too real…

I shrugged off the thought and continued my work despite my exhaustion.

 

“Make way!” I grunted out the warning as I took another tedious step with two large boxes in my arms, one balancing precariously on top of another, with the top box obstructing more than half of my view.

To add on to the woes, the combined weight of both was unbelievably heavy.

Sometimes, I wonder if they realized I was a girl at all.

I heaved out a deep breath as I took another step. Every single ounce of my body and mind was focusing intensely on this unfavorable task.

Just twenty more steps. I willed myself to walk on. Just nineteen more steps.

I could barely hear my surroundings as my mind repeated the silent encouragements. Yet even then, my eyes faintly caught on to the shouting’s “Don’t run!” followed by a “Watch out!” right after it.

Less than a heartbeat later, something slammed right into me.

And in the next few seconds, I saw the world passed by me in slow motions.

The cardboard boxes in my hands tilted violently to the left, then right, before they were finally thrown off my arms and fall noisily onto the floor, spilling every single content out.

My vision was suddenly cleared from their obstruction and the first thing I saw a bunch of flying auburn hair in front of my face…then as my body was caught off balanced and leaned forward, I caught a glimpse of fluttering white cloth and soon, my natural instincts kicked in as the falling sensation starts. I squeezed my eyes shut, expecting the hard, cold concrete floor to slam my oncoming body.

There was even enough of a moment for my mind to process an “Oh great” before I finally hit something.

Only the “something” I hit, wasn’t quite what I was expecting. It was more of a lumpy, soft and warm contact?

I could even feel that “something” rising and falling gently underneath my body, and it even groaned out an “Ow…”

My eyes snapped open and were immediately greeted by a pair of dark chocolate orbs. My eyes widen, and so did the orbs.

 

Suddenly, it was as if all air had gone out of my lungs.

I wasn’t breathing.

No, I couldn’t breathe.

Those russet orbs were sparking a dull thought in my mind, as if it was the secret key unlocking the door to a memory that had long been bolt shut and left forgotten.

Those brown orbs seemed to swirl and became my entire universe, I could focus nothing except these two small globes set against their white universes.

What am I exactly staring at?

It was a pair of brown eyes that were staring right back at me. Those eyes were tearing; the water droplets threatening to spill out from the lids.

A sensation was slowly surfacing in my chest; I placed my hand over it.

Then it started burning up rapidly.

It was scalding my heart!

I clenched my chest, my nails clawing at the pain.

I finally gasped in a mouthful of air, yet it brought no ease to the throbbing sensation running through my entire body.

This pain…it sprang from my birthmark. It felt as if something was stabbing right at it, over and over again in a vicious and cruel manner.

It hurts so much, it hurts so much that every single senses of mine was overwhelmed.

 

Then just as sudden, everything in my world was swallowed up in a black abyss.

The last thing I could recall were a few words replaying over and over again in the darkness. But strangely, they sounded like a familiar warning to me:

 

Don’t forget me…

Don’t ever forgive me…

 

 


#Author's Note =D

Has anyone ever had a weird dream where you met a guy but didn't remember his fae after you woke up? I sure did. No matter how hard I tried to picture the person's face, I can never do it. Oh well, a dream is a dream after all. Anyway, hope you like this short chapter! Comments and subscriptions are loved, yeah? (* v *)